Winter 1220, Chapter 2: The Baron's Fist

"Let's wait here until you return. It will be better to enter when we are more informed of the situation."

"Alright, then. I'll come back as soon as possible."

((If the invisibility wore off, Maruska will re-cast it. She will then fly above, taking an aerial outlook of the place. After that, she will get back to the ground and search the place, looking for Elysante. She will look everywhere, and if any door is closed, she will open it up using The Unseen Porter. The first places she will go to are: any sort of prison-like place, the Baron's family quarters, guest quarters and other places a visiting VIP would be taken to. If the opportunity arises, Maruska will listen in to the servants and guards, paying close attention to any detail that may help her in the search.))

Maruska does not see any signs of Elysante, but while eavesdropping on some servants, she does hear someone complain how difficult it is to please the new guest. The conversation reveals that said guest is female, French, and imperious.

((As a reminder, please give me your casting totals for any spells you're using.))

Rhodri and Tabanus have been waiting for Maruska to return from her scouting for some time now. She has been gone over two hours; it is well past sundown and the longer you wait, the lesser your chance of gaining hospitality for the night. You have expected Maruska back some time ago; what do you do?

First, Rhodri will have redone his Parma Magica as sundown arrived.

As it is getting late, "Now Maruska is missing, too? This is worrisome... Tabanus, perhaps we should introduce ourselves? You are much more eloquent than I am, so I'll let you do the talking. We should say that we are friends of the Lady and have journeyed to have a word with her. And, of course, any hospitality they offer will be nice. Let's stick together. Splitting up doesn't seem to be working well."

The main bailey gates are locked, but Rhodri's faerie eyes can still make out that there is a small porter's entry, and a hinged wooden window for this precise sort of occasion.

"I suppose we should" replied Tabanus reluctantly, "I fear some misfortune may have befallen our friend Maruska, but we're unlikely to be of any help sitting here in the dark..." he added thoughtfully, following Rhodri toward the distant building...

Rhodri points out the hinged window to Tabanus. "I'll let you do the pleasantries." Rhodri makes sure he is back just enough not to disturb the guard, but he'll be definitely within view and not hiding.

Tabanus slowly approached the guard, his hands held palms forward in front of him. "Greetings! My companion and I are tenants of your Lord and humbly request his hospitality for the night" he explained trying to look sincere...

The window opens, and a guard regards Tabanus suspiciously. "Wot assurance 'ave I got yer nay Welshmen?" He glances over to Rhodri. "Yer friend there looks like a mean one, an' you comin' in here at indecent hours an' wotnot."

((Hmmm... Rhodri is Welsh. Ooops... :wink: ))

((Given Tabanus' Linguist virtue and high Language scores, I'd like to suggest that he'd be aware of any commonly used shibboleths intended to identify Cymraeg speakers))

((It is painfully obvious to Tabanus that Rhodri is Welsh. The only way you could pass him off as an Englishman is if you pass him off as a mute. Or you could try to find some way to make the truth palatable?))

((Arya, perhaps clarification is called for - I meant that Tabanus is seeking a way to prove that he himself isn't Welsh. My initial thought was to try and convince the guard that Rhodri was a deaf mute, but I suppose that does seem a bit transparent... Do you think maybe we could pass him off as Cornish or is that not any better?))

((A-ha! Well, Tabanus can mimic any English accent he chooses with a Com+Language roll of 12+, but by default you speak whatever dialect you first learned, which I assume would be the one local to Cambridge. Only a complete moron would mistake you for a Welshman... though, now you think about it, gate guards don't tend to be the brightest. Do you want to try and fake a specific regional dialect?))

((Tabanus will be mimicking the Local Dialect, it might help so long as I don't botch...))

"We come from Neston" Tabanus tells the guard, as if only a fool would need more information than that. (Guile check?)

"My companion is indeed a formidable combatant " I admit, hoping to cow the guard somewhat without alarming him. "However, he is a loyal vassal who practices the warrior's art only at our good Baron's behest."
"I apologize again for arriving at such an unwholesome hour, but we became lost while pursuing a Raven of a unusual size... Perhaps you've seen it?" I ask, watching the guard's face closely to determine if he's telling the truth...

The guard looks at Tabanus as though he's crazy. "Raven, eh? You sorry lot must be real 'ungry if yer wastin' time chasin' a stringy rat wot gots wings. Ye can come in an' might be lucky enough what that there's still dinner bein' served. Yer man'll 'ave to remove 'is weapons 'fore 'e can enter th' dinin' 'all. Very im-POR-tant guests visitin' wit' th' baron t'night, y'see."

The window shuts, and moments later the door swings open. The guard is an ugly, squat fellow with perfect teeth that gleam unnaturally white when he smiles. "Dinin' 'all izzat way," he gestures down the largest hallway, "Y'can't miss it if ye tried. Sit at th' smallest table wit' th' workin' men, don't speak when th' lords is speakin', an' if'n ye flirt abit wit th' fat woman wit th' red 'air, she's like t' find a place by th' fire fer ye an' yer man there t' sleep. Tell 'er Joff speaks fer ye.". He claps Tabanus on the shoulder just a bit too hard, and grins an eerie, toothy grin.

"Grrr..." Rhodri reluctantly hands over his weapons, keeping an eye on them as the guards take them. The guards better treat the weapons well... Rhodri goes to the dining hall with Tabanus, carrying a bit of a sour look on his face.

((Clarification: the guard doesn't take your weapons; you're expected to leave them in a small antechamber just outside the dining hall, where there's a pile of other weapons.))

Tabanus thanked the guards for their hospitality and, with a quick backward glance to ensure that Rhodri was still following him, proceeded into the dining hall.

Tabanus quickly surveyed the room trying to determine who was in charge, wanting to arrange our accomodations before Rhodri's Gift taints me by association...