Winter 1220, Chapter 2: The Baron's Fist

Rhrodri takes his time placing his weapons neatly in the antechamber. He'll keep the knives in the bandolier so they don't get scattered. He'll leave his sword in its scabbard to protect it. This way their quality is also not so obvious. He'll make sure they are separate from the rest. He is a little hesitant to leave them and will make sure he's never too far from the antechamber if he can. He'll try to keep an eye out for anyone entering the antechamber - he doesn't want his weapons taken. All that will probably afford Tabanus the time he wants.

The hall is packed with people. The room is enormous and fitted with four tiers; the most important visitors are seated at a large granite table on a raised dais on the highest tier. Tabanus and Rhodri have no problems picking out the baron, as he is seated at the center of the table, in the largest chair, surrounded by rich velvet cushions. The baron is a stout, muscular man of middling years, with wisps of steel grey interspersing his thick shock of black hair. Beside him is a woman, small in stature but great in presence-- her beauty is unparalleled, with soft golden hair that falls in ringlets to her shoulders. Seated around them are numerous men (likely knights, as they wear tabards bearing the baron's sigil), and a few ladies of gentle birth. One woman stands rather out of place: she wears robes of deepest red unadorned with any jewelry, and with iron grey hair wound tight in a bun around a severe face. Tabanus and Rhodri both spot their associates, Attravere Merceris and the Redcap Guillaume d'Arras, seated at the baron's table as seemingly welcome guests, laughing and drinking with the rest. Neither Elysante nor Maruska are anywhere to be seen.

Seated at the second tier are men whose stature and demeanor clearly mark them as soldiers. On the third tier are men and women of indeterminate rank, and a few men in monk's robes. The lowest tier, furthest the baron, seems to be primarily servants.

Dinner seems to be winding down, as the dogs are already lying on the hearth, gnawing on bones.

Rhodri will stay quiet and remain by the servants, relatively close to the antechamber. He's no socialite and is bound to upset someone with his Gift, so he keeps to himself with one eye out for his weapons and the other for Tabanus.

Whether Attravere notices the arrival of Tabanus and Rhodri or not he'll make no indication that he is aware of them, maintaining his facade of good cheer.

Seeing as the feast is winding down and the flow of conversation looks to have moved away from him and Sir Guillaume, he'll indicate that he is getting a bit tired from the 'long journey'. If any other members of the high table have already gone off for the night Attravere will believe that it is fine to take that course as well.

On his way out he'll try to catch Tabanus' eye with a glance of recognition then Attravere will scratch his chin and look down as if a little puzzled before shaking his head a little as though disappointed and heading out.

Tabanus was relieved to see that Attravere and Guillaume had arrived safely, but the absence of Maruska and Elysante only reinforces his concern for his comrades' wellbeing.

Wishing to work quickly, Tabanus respectfully approaches the woman in the red robes "Excuse me, Madam..."

Steel grey eyes fix imperiously on Tabanus. The woman looks as though she is about to say something dismissive, but then she seems to think better of it. "What is it, friar? Speak quickly before I lose my patience," she demands in an annoyed tone.

Tabanus stepped back, shocked at the rude reception and briefly considered casting "Gift of the Tortured Bowels" on her, but quickly reconsidered, swallowed some harsh words and began again.
"Greetings. My companion and I have come to request an audience with the Baron concerning an urgent matter. Could you please direct us to the servant in charge of managing the Baron's schedule?" he asked, just a politely as he is able...

((Indeed, though now realizing that the woman's not a server I'm not entirely sure how to proceed... :frowning: ))

Oops! I meant to reply not edit... :blush: - Gremlin44

((No worries-- you can retcon your approach to the table if you wish. I wasn't clear that the grey-haired woman is seated at the Baron's table.))

((Yes, that will do. To clarify then, Tabanus is looking for a senior servant, not a member of the Baron's entourage))

Assuming you sit at one of the low tables, you soon see a fat red-headed woman (probably the one Groff mentioned?) bringing in plates of dessert-- apples baked in wine. Of course, you now recognize those apples as having come from Gallus Florensis! Notably, dessert is served not only to the nobles at the high table, but also to the military men at the lower tables.

On his way to his rooms, Attravere catches a whiff of the unmistakable scent of baked apples coming down the hall... Mmmm, baked apples.

Attravere will mutter a curse under his breath about missing out on such tasties. He'll make a mental note about a special kitchen request when he returns to the covenant.

Tabanus approaches the lady in question as soon as an opportunity presents itself.
"Pardon me, Madam, but may I request a moment of your time?" he asks...

Her face is flushed as though she is working too hard, but she stops and smiles. "Aye? What d'ye need, love?"

"Could you please tell me whom I should speak to about arranging an audience with the Baron?" Tabanus asked politely, keeping his eyes peeled to see if ayone's taking an undue interest in our conversation...

Her green eyes widen. "Oh, this is a bad time, a very bad time for that, love," she warns in a hushed tone. "He hates it when wizards come visiting. You're better off in Chester or Shropshire."

((clarification please, does Tabanus that believe she's referring to him or one of his Sodales?)

((Tabanus can choose to interpret that comment however he wishes.))

((OK...))

"Wizards?!" asked Tabanus, matching her tone and looking nervously over his shoulders as if a wizard be eavesdropping on our conversation ready to turn to turn us both into frogs...

((Tabanus makes a guile check of 8, and a folk ken check of 9 (specialties applied for both).))

She raises an eyebrow and looks at you strangely. "Aye, that's what I said," she demurs.