winter 1229- The Simplon route

rolled why? I haven't asked for a control roll yet, I simply asked for you to define your speed before you find out what is coming.

At 20 miles per hour you proceed up the valley in an hour, and it is still early morning when it bends to the left. You know the directions say to proceed about another 2 miles to the left before turning to the right, and it gives a description of where to turn- you also notice that the "wind" from your travel is very cold as the temperature even at a stop is still quite cold in the early morning- roll stress die+stamina.

The spell calls for a check to change speed. I thought that would include take-off when the speed is relevant.

That's a 9.

Take off is from speed 0 and does not require a finesse roll.

You are enduring the weather well and approach the bend in the valley, where a pair of small towns sit on either side of the river with an old Roman style castle looming over one of them.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification. Seeing the towns ahead, Guida will slow down and land to carry on traveling in a mundane way. Were either of the towns or the castle mentioned in her travel briefing? How far away is this from the base of the mountain where she needs to light up a fire pit?

The two towns were mentioned, the closest one is considered to be the one at the bend, the second marks the entrance to the valley you will need to follow up to the fire pit- 15 miles north.

Guida will head to the closest town first.

The first village is a bit curious- where the rest of the valley lies in snow this village is relatively warm, and surrounded by fields of wheat still being grown. It is not a large village, and has no walls, only a church and a scattering of residences.

If she is landing she will need to make a finesse roll to do so.

Finesse 10 + grace to land.

Guida suspects something magical at the village and will investigate.

She enters the village passing by peasants working the fields who openly stare at her. She finds there is an inn in the village which does have a couple of older merchants staying there.

Guida will sit with the merchants, making conversation and trying to learn more about the place.

"This is an odd time of day to arrive here, you must have traveled half the night."

With a touch of humor: "Or I left at midsummer's eve, and by the books of it, I'm right on time for the harvest."

One of the men crosses himself while the other asks "Have you been aught by the faeries then?"

"No no, nothing of the sort thankfully. As you say, I left early. And I'm not afraid of a little snow. What is this place?"

"saint Vincent, after the church with the healing bath. Have you come from Chatilion to arrive so early? The closest town to the south is two leagues away and it is but two bells after breakfast. But if you are from Chatilion how do you not know where you are?"

"I'm not from chatilion. I'm from the south. And yes, I'm aware it's a bit of a walk. But I'm alive, ain't I?"

The men look back and forth at each other and one mutter something about how after a journey like that you shouldn't be, but they otherwise fall silent.

Guida sighs. I should have stuck to the Faerie story "I guess there's no welcome here for a weary traveller..." she looks at the silent inn and stands to leave.

This does get the attention of the innkeeper. "Would you be needing food? Or a bed?"
Apparently he cares less about how strange her arrival is than in her coin.

"I... yes. I would happily enjoy a meal. What do you have?" She sits closer to the innkeeper.