winter 1229- The Simplon route

He has eggs and mutton with an ale, or for a lower price a slice of bread and lard to spread on it, and ale, or water is also available.

Guida will take the eggs and mutton, and try to chat him up about the local area while awaiting her food and eating. She's trying to learn more about the local area, and will eventually steer the conversation to find out about the anormal weather pattern that allows wheat to grow in an area that is otherwise surrounded by winter.

Apparently there are fairly frequent pilgrimages to the local church and it's healing waters. Beyond that there is farming year round given the very mild weather here and of course herding of goats and sheep.
and a number of rumors about people you don't know who the innkeeper claims are actually the children of royalty who have taken pilgrimage here, "not they would ever acknowledge their get"

"Unacknowledged heirs to royalty?" She seems interested in the story and tries to juice him for the juicy gossip.

"Heirs, no, not heirs, after all, the parents have to be wed for them to be heirs, and I can guarantee none of the nobles who have taken pilgrimage here have ever wed any of the girls who live here."

"And you believe there are many such children of nobility forgotton in this town?"

He shrugs "depends, I suppose, on what you consider many. I'd say maybe eight to ten"

Guida nods to the innkeeper. "How is Chatillon?"

The innkeeper shrugs "the only thing we see from Chatillion are travelers and tax collectors."

Guida nods. She'll thank the innkeeper for the conversation and pay for her food, and ask for direction to the church with those healing waters which she'll go to visit.

While the church is open to all, the healing waters are only available by invitation of the priest, and despite the fact that it is the priest who informs you of this he makes no indication that he is planning to invite you.

"So this church does not assist pilgrims and travellers in need of healing then?"

"This church is frequently the destination of pilgrims, and we do assist those in need, but there are many who would seek to take the blessed waters of our church for secular or even venial motives. Numerous times have we found those seeking to take waters from the healing spring to sell to those unwilling to make the pilgrimage themselves, as if Gods miracles ere for sale. Still, it is better I suppose than those who sell waters that are reputed to be from our springs which are not. It is easier to prevent both forms of perfidy by ensuring that it is well known that we do not allow its waters to be taken."

Guida thanks the priest and will be on her way to Chatillon next.

Almost as soon as you leave Saint Vincent you can see the old Roman fortifications which mark the town of Chatillion, a few miles away. but still halfway to the fortification you again encounter the accumulation of snow as soon as you are passing under the shadow on the southern mountains. The town contains a few small buildings scattered about in addition to the main fortification, designed originally to hold Roman soldiers but now adopted to the center of power for this valley. It seems about one out of five people that you see are soldiers, though there are few enough people to see.
One of the soldiers calls out in first Swabian and then Lombard, though the words are familiar enough to get their meaning- Halt, what is your business?

"Just an humble traveler through the area, sir."

"This is not the usual season for travel." He states suspiciously, "Name?"

"Guida, sir."

The guard glances up at the sun, nearly at noon in the sky. "If you are seeking shelter I would recommend you return to Saint Vincent, if not then I need to know which way you are traveling before you pass."
The road, to the degree one is visible in the snow, branches here, one heading to the west and the other heading to the north through another valley.

"I'm headed to the north..."