Winter Drake Hunt (Winter 1230)

That won't avoid penetration issues. It had been mentioned that Guillaume was protecting all the grogs, Astrid, and any non-Gifted Redcaps with his Parma Magica. He seemed pretty confident he could handle them all (there really aren't that many, but still), so they probably have significant protection.

No Redcaps with us. several grogs though. Guillme & Estaban have them aptly covered, so Penetration is an issue. So I say you do what you gotta do. :wink:

Carmen pipes up cheerfully. I also know the Pilium of Fire! My father said I had become too specialized in weather magic and made me learn some "old fashioned fire magic". I even have it Mastered :slight_smile:.
Then she gives Vibria a wink of Confidence
I have your back sister, and you have mine. Don't be afraid. I will be right beside you, and we will stand strong together.

Carmen makes a Leadership roll. Presence +2, Leadership 2, roll of 1, followed by a 10.
For a total of 24
And she spends two points of Confidence to make it 30.
Everyone that hears Carmens inspirational speech to Vibria (including Vibria herself) is so touched and moved that they gain a point of Confidence for the upcoming battle.

And there is a dustcloud slowly billowing over that hill up yonder...

Gardaitis starts dropping trees.

Marko, how many times you want me to roll?

An adequate number of times :mrgreen:
Is it a Formulaic or a Spont? Mastered? What's the spell you have in mind?

Formulaic, Mastered. Tree Falling in the Forest, Pe(Re)He 25. Casting total +24, Mastery 1. As per spell of same name in Societates, except Touch Range.

Oh. In that case, you need not bother rolling. Mastered, no chance of botch and Penetration not an issue. Just say that you create a reasonably large pile of trees.

A horde of goblins comes streaming over the hill. The ogres are nowhere in sight yet, The advanced scouts, wolfriders and such, they come close to the barricade and halt.

It's showtime...

I realize they're covered by Parma, but it's a weakened Parma and they don't have Form resistance. Given that Silent Shout is a level 10 Im spell, Vocis should be able to penetrate that pretty reliably.

Ok...I can't get the URL for the Dice Room to direct to my actual rolls. It just comes up with the start page. I have a screen cap I can forward if needed.

Veil of Invisibility - Sta 1 + Pe 7 + Im 20 + aura 3(?) + roll 6 = 37
Seven League Stride - Sta 1 + Re 10 + Co 10 + aura 3(?) + roll 1, 7 = 35
Silent Shout - Sta 1 + Cr 10 + Im 20 + aura 0(?) + roll 2 = 33, penetration 23

I haven't reviewed Guillaume's Parma, but that penetration should be enough for a covered grog even in a weak Divine aura. Vocis is hitting the most senior grog in the group.

This is Master Vocis. Excuse yourself, come outside, and find a place where we can converse privately.

Assuming these instructions are followed, he'll tell the grog that a large force of goblins and ogres are coming this way, the other magi are going to dispatch them, and the grog needs to find a discreet way to inform Master Esteban of this. Then Vocis is jumping back to join the fight.

Seven League Stride - Sta 1 + Re 10 + Co 10 + aura 0(?) + roll 9 = 30

If there's a Divine aura, he'll take the fatigue.

In the Dice Room, click the white tab that appears next to the name and roll result. That will lead you to a page with a URL, an IMG, and an IMG/URL. Just use the URL and do it the old fashioned way we used to with Invisible Castle.
And Invisible Castle is back up by the way :smiley:
The eldest grog is...
Oscar the Fearless, one of the few left from the old Andorran Guard. He excuses himself and goes outside and around the back of the house. And waits...

Meanwhile, a half-dozen wolf riders (elite amongst goblins) are at the barracade. The wolves bay and echoes are heard through the misty midmorning hills. The goblins seem befuddled and frustrated. One lobs a spear over the wall. Two turn tail and head back to the bulk of the horde coming over the hill. Then there is that one guy riding a giant spider. Well, for a spider it is giant. It is about the size of a large cat. But this is a really small goblin (size -4), And is dressed in silk robes embrodiered with exotic patterns. Someone amongst you will have enough Magic Lore to tell that this a warlock (for lack of a better term). Magic goblins fall into two basic categories; those that gather in clans (like D&D goblins) and loners. Loners are often mad hermits, wanderers, serial killers, and/or magic weilding loonatics. The robes and command of spiders indicates that this guy (let us call him Varthik) falls into that fourth category, that of magic weilding loonatic. He may likely be a serial killer as well.
Anyway, the long and the short of it is that the arachnid mount is veritably gallopping over the hill and is approaching with great speed. This guy is a potential threat to your wall strategy.
Facing the direction of the goblin horde, off to the left another cloud of dust approaches over a hill. The ground shakes with their footsteps. Ogres.
Time for me to take the NPC out of the fight. Carmen flies up and over towards the ogres to lobb lightning bolts from the sky. It is up to you guys to handle the wolf riders and the warlock and the hordlings being led by Pappa Norman riding a giant bat.
Inside information...
Pappa Norman is the chieftain of the Valnord Vipers, the local goblin clan that had the secret access to the gold to begin with.
The ogre leader is BoB, the Big ogre Boss (or Big Boss). And he has allied himself with Agatha the witch (aka the Hag).
So Carmen may have bitten off more than she can chew. But I had to do it. It is difficult playing the silent leader, as I don't wanna railroad activities and actions nor do I want to have her solve all your problems for you. Roleplaying her dominant side will have to wait for when I play her in a story-arc someone else is running.
So, I am going to go to bed. Just got home from work at 7:30am (Nightclub job). I plan to wake up around 4pm, and after I get ready and before I leave for work, I will check in to see what amazing actions you all take :smiley:

Vulc wades in as far as he can go without getting surrounded (as long as the grogs cover his back). He will mow down what he can while he tries to make his way to the little guy in robes, because that one looks important. He is testing his new sword today, and of course using his shield.

His attack is at +19, defense +17, damage is +10. His soak is 26 against metal weapons, 23 against unarmed and animal attacks, 22 against all other attacks.

Gardaitis has all his spells cast (Aegis of Unbreakable Wood, Roar of the Descending Blade, Shriek of the Impending Shafts, Bear's Fortitude). He's even got Veil of Invisibility up: his axe and shield are floating in mid-air, since they weren't affected by the casting. Not much, but it's something.

The other thing that's floating in midair is a crossbow bolt, being turned over and over in invisible fingers. The moment the spider-riding goblin comes into range, he casts "Invisible Sling of Vilano" (Casting roll (Gardaitis) [1d10] = 4 +21 =25, more than sufficient to cast the spell), and the crossbow bolt speeds towards the goblin. (Finesse Roll (Gardaitis) [1d10] = 6 + Per 0 + Finesse 4 + precision specialty 1 = 11).

Vocis sidles up next to him. A force of goblins and ogres is approaching the village. The magi and grogs at the camp will dispatch them, but the fight may be heard or seen from here. Find a discreet way to inform Master Esteban that this is going on. Perhaps in Latin, if you speak it. We do not need assistance, we merely want him to be aware of what's happening.

And now Vocis heads back to a fight that started a lot quicker than I expected...

Indeed he does speak Latin.
:slight_smile:
Without any trace of surprise or panic, Oscar recieves the information quietly, then nods affirmative. He finds Estaban, and in Latin, wispers the information in his ear...

[color=red]"It's showtime!" Vibria says with a grin as she observes the oncoming waves that will crash futilely against her and her compatriots' prowess.

She will start by taking out Varthik with a Pilum of Fire (unless he's already dead by the time her turn comes around, in which case she will go for the goblin with the most salad on his chest).

Init is Qui 1 + die roll of 6 = 7.

Her CT is 33 + die roll of 8 = 41 +/- Aura, vs. a Spell Level of 20. Her Penetration (if it matters) is 21 +/- Aura + 0 = 21. (She doesn't have Penetration? How the froo did that happen?)

(You can only have so much Penetration per player, and Fiona hogged more than her share? :smiley: )

I will roll dice and adudicate the first round (or two) tomorrow afet I get off work. I wanna wait for everyone else who is gonna post before I start crunching maths :slight_smile:

((I confirmed with Marko that Vocis can get in on the fun with one Seven League Stride spell, so...CT 21 + aura + roll 5 = 26 + aura. If the aura's at least 1 I'll throw in a confidence point to avoid the fatigue.))

Vocis has Gift of Bear's Fortitude and Veil of Invisibility up. He takes position slightly behind Vulc and Gard, surveys the front line, and sends some Visions of Hell at that giant spider...CT 31 + aura + 1 for loud voice + roll 5 again + 3 from confidence point = 40 for 17 + aura penetration.

As a reminder...
Visions of Hell - CrIm 25 V/D/P
The spell projects an illusion of roaring flames to an individual target's sight, hearing, and touch sensory organs. The species of the illusion can only be sensed by the target (see Miniatures, HoH:S p. 67). From the target's perspective, he is surrounded by hot, roaring flames that cover an area of approximately Room size (Per+Finesse Ease Factor of 12 to cast properly). Other observers see nothing out of the ordinary beyond the target's reactions to the illusion. The target is effectively blinded for the spell's duration, but may still hear and/or feel his surroundings through the illusion with an Awareness roll. A Brave or similar personality check may also be necessary for the target to take any actions (SG's discretion).
(Base 3 [3 senses], +1 to follow target's movements, +1 changing image, +2 Voice, +1 Diam, +1 Part)

Edit: forgot my initiative roll...Qik 1 - Enc 3 + roll 7 = 5

Meanwhile, back in the peasant's hut (sorry, I was dragged away for sudden business travel this week)

Esteban leans in close and whispers, "I am not just an ordinary adventurer. I am a powerful magician. My name is Esteban de Barbastro, yes I am an hidalgo but I am a wizard also. I come with a dozen almogavers, and several of my fellow wizards, in search of the dragon's treasure. Tell me, what weighs so heavy on your heart? What sacrifice does the beast demand?"

No prob. The activity exploded over the weekend and I was unable to respond as quickly as I like because weekends are my prime working hours.
But I shall catch up tonight :smiley:

koff-koff Well, good luck then. No one has tried in generations, and many have forgotten about him. But I will never forget. He took my sister! I put a stop to the sacrifices when I was old enough, started substituting sacrifice with tributes of food and getting the townsfolk to venerate him as their leader. The wyrm is vain and lazy, so it has succedded. For now. Salakk the Salt-Wyrm rules this town, and most of our labor efforts are dedicated to feeding and comforting him. But there are no more sacrifices of our young virgin girls. And we are allowed to freely mine salt from the caves. That is how we prosper.
But the dragon takes a cut, and his greed and avarice grow slowly over time. It takes more and more effort to pamper him, and his demands and allotments keep increasing. If this keeps going on, it will eventually ruin or people and destroy our villiage.

[/quote]
Then, as you begin to mentally process this information, Oscar come along (followed by Lilly) and he whispers in your ear in Latin:A force of goblins and ogres is approaching the village. The magi and grogs at the camp will dispatch them, but the fight may be heard or seen from here

But all this whispering, it is not so soft as to prevent Guillme from hearing (he is standing invisibly in the room next to the old man)