Winter Drake Hunt (Winter 1230)

Vocis hangs back a bit and picks up a small rock from near the chasm. He shouldn't actually need an AC to escape (he already has one from the covenant), but he wants to test the dragon's 'eyes' and its knowledge of Hermetic magic. He also casts Eyes of the Cat on himself and mentally instructs Celeste to keep an eye on the area around the chasm after the magi enter.

Actually, I should not cut you off like that. Bad SGing.
What is it that you hope to learn from investigation?

Logged and noted :wink:

Down into the cave you descend, following a path that twists and turns deep into the mountain. You hear roaring falls off in the distance, at times vision is obscured by smoke or steam, the air is warm and humid and smells of iron. Stalagites scinilate overhead in strange hues. Magic feels strong here.
You enter a huhe oppulent chamber, a massive chandilere suddenly flares with light and scores of huge red bats go fluttering overhead and out an adjacent tunnel. The room is filled with fine furniature, decorations, trophies, jewels, artifacts, amd many miscellaneous treasures. No rhyme or reason about the way it is scattered. One curious detail: no coins. Loose gems and gold chains and etceteras. No coins of any sort though. And no books.
Maurice is the one unbothered by the Gift (I mistakenly said it was Simon). To keep them sorted, Simon is the fat stupid one, Venkath is the gruff unruly one, and Maurice is the smart one who does most of the talking.
You are lead through the chamber (no stopping allowed and gawking is discouraged) into an adjacent one.
The Grand Library of Sigmundo.
Shelves and stacks and chests of books, various types and condition. It appears to start out with the crappier less well cared for stuff, and as you progress the tomes seem nicer and better preserved.
And there are what appears to be a bunch of little goblin like creatures, some hurring too and fro with papers or books or supplies, and a few working at dests coping some tome or scroll.
Then you are approached by an old crone, a large mishappen woman wearing an apron and holding a pen of a huge quill feather.
Well, well, well, what do these wandered be seeking? Speak up! Identify yourselves. I know the wind-wizard's daughter, but the resy o' ye are strangers to my eyes. What seems to be your interest and intent? If I approve, I may consider passing the word on.

(my spelling sucks and I am prone to horrible typos, please forgive :mrgreen: )

Actually, Guillaume wanted to give Astrid a chance to pick up ogre scent. Things they touched recently (especially any remnants of clothing not soaked in blood and gore) would do as well as their bodies.

Very well then :slight_smile:

Guillaume quietly/silently opens an intangible tunnel (lvl 40) to her (32 + roll 4 + aura ? = 36+?). (Down 1 Fatigue.) He follows this with Leap of Homecoming on Astrid (20 + 2 loud/grandiose + roll 9 + aura ? = 31+?). (Concentration: Sta 1 + Con 4 + roll 0 = 5 - no botch (didn't know how many dice to use)). Guillaume looks again and the lack of remains and comments that it's probably not worth it; he doesn't want to hold everyone up.

(And now I realize just how hard Opening the Intangible Tunnel is to use. :frowning: Reminder to self: invent a high-level version of Maintaining the Demanding Spell.)

That reminds me - Vocis's lab text request for Opening the Intangible Tunnel is for a version with Diameter duration.

Esteban replies to the old crone, "I am Esteban de Barbastro, magus of the Order of Hermes, of the House of Jerbiton, filius of Theophilus and Master of the Covenant of Andorra. We come seeking audience with Sigmundo to offer a proposal for our mutual benefit."

"Theophilus of Jerbiton...
What book did he write? What works have you written?"

Esteban replies, "My pater wrote Meditations on the Lunar Sphere, Symbolism and the Law of Similarity, and Treatise on the Correlation of Alchemy with Astrology, and perhaps some others more recently -- it has been years since I have spoken with him. I myself am more inclined to write verse than weighty codexes: perhaps you have heard of my Maid of Alicante or Spring Breeze in Zaragosa"?

Crone: "Yes! Treatise on the Correlation of Alchemy with Astrology,excellent and entertaining. That is where I knew that name from. I am not familiar with your own poetry, but if you provide a copy I will be glad to read it. It is well that you have started upon the path to true immortaliuty. Unlike a certain wind witch who has been a maga half her life and has never managed a single tractatus" (glares at Carmen and smirks).
Carmen: "You are being quite transparent. They are not being fooled, you know."

Esteban laughs his manly, Errol Flynn laugh. "Ha-ha! Speak for yourself, Madame Pontifex. I, for one, was quite taken in." He bows to the crone. "'Tis a pleasure to meet you, Sigmundo."

Guillaume seems a touch surprised at Esteban's comment, perhaps because he had not considered the possibility this was not Sigmundo. (Yes, I was sitting here wondering why Mark didn't write "Sigmundo," even starting to think it was a typo.) Guillaume just quietly observes the room and then the conversation.

(Hunh...thought I had replied to this before, but I missed it somehow. Anyhoo...)

Vibria can't stop but stop, even momentarily, as she tries to take it all in, and dang near has an orgasm right then and there in the middle of everything. She continues when pushed or prodded, but she still is almost overwhelmed by all this incredible, magnificent opulence.

Vibria's content to let those whose Gift doesn't bother anyone do the talking for them, as she looks around and tries to take a mental inventory of everything she sees, not really paying much attention to the Crone or the goblins, or much of anything else except the "oooh, shiny!".

Vibria turns to look at the Crone now, regarding her intently, looking perhaps for any signs of family resemblance.

The crone smirks at Carmes. Those who did not know me already were fooled :stuck_out_tongue:
And the crone changes shape.
Imagine if you will, something akin to animation or comics. The outline of the crone is filled with swirling mist, the outine changes to the form of a man, and the mist fades to reveal what appears to be a scholor or magister or perhaps a magus (the apparel is that of an old Roman scolar).
If one watches the transformation closely, in the mist you can see the true image of the dragon, as if the outline image were a doorway to a huge camber in which there resides a massive and magnificent ancient dragon.
Well, anyways, I greet you all and welcome you into my study. I am Sigmundo, scion of SuGarr. And my condolences for the recent tragic events I have heard reports of. Is all well? In what way may I be able to help you in your time of need? And what is the nature of the mutually beneficial proposal you have come to offer?

"Indeed, I was quite fooled; I had always believed shapeshifting across genders an impossible feat," Tiana agrees with a smile. "The magi of Andorra wish to resume the tradition of the drake hunt, and we come humbly to inquire as to your own needs and desires, that we might make an attractive proposition."

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3851830/
3 + Com 3 or Pre 4 + Charm 3 to make a good first impression.

That is not true at all. You magi have a spell for that very purpose.

Hmmm..., my treaty with the Archmagus. You imagine it applies to the rest of you. Perhaps, depending on what you have to offer. I need not and have more than I desire, so it is upon you to make an enticing offer.
But I propose an alternative activity. Hunt ogres. They are overpopulating the valley, and it will be much easier. I don't think you have enough strength and experience as a group to deal with hunting wyverns and drakes. And then there is...
Sigmundo rests his gaze momentarilly upon Vibria, looks inquisitive, then goes on.
You are not ready yet.
If you do me the favor of helping my grandchildren (referring to the drake trio) against their ogre enemies, I will renegotiate that and other trieties with you. And perhaps offer you a reward. Whatever needed to get these three whining nitwits off my back. Constantly they are complaining begging me to assist them, crying about some giant undead indestructable ogre that keeps twarting them. I could give a bat's ass about it. I am busy preparing for my trip to Africa next autumn. Take care of that for me, and I'll see that you are taken care of.

Meanwhile, in Andorra...

Arachne will take the time to craft some item. Since she's better at woodworking, she'd like to make a "fake" (black company style) flying carpet, but security comes first.

So, she's not that good at weaving, but she'll probably create a single, fine thread to use in traps (I'm considering that she "weaves" them nonetheless, as she's trying for something resilient but as small as possible, so that base time is 1 day, just like for a clothing. With her skill, this becomes a little more than a day: 10 hours instead of 8). She'll instill a Patient Spell-like effect in it, or a "trigger magical item" effect. I'll have to think about it.

Otherwise, she'll inspect the covenant: Library, vis stocks... try to get a rough outline of things. She'll also select some points, and ask an appropriate covenfolk to engrave a circle of a specific size in the wood or stone she's pointing. Of course, all won't be done in a day, but it's a start. This is for later use.