1220.4 Where have ewe gone? (Fiona's season)

Brionne is one ugly wolf. He revels though in the sensation of having a spell cast on him and the transformation, though he prefers Alexei's particular flavor better. He sniffs cautiously at the outskirts of the copse of trees, where the trail leads him. Not knowing exactly what else to do he relies on his already supernatural senses and begins to see if he can sniff out lingering magic.

Perception (+1) + Magic Sensitibity 4 (Active Spells)

1d10+5 → [5,5] = (10)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3198160/

(He might have additional bonuses depending on if being a wolf helps out his Perception)

Fiona's sigil doesn't manifest as a smell. I'd imagine he is a White Wolf! :laughing:

He smells five different men were here. And a woman.
There is no trace of their scent or horse scent beyond the area where the tracks stop.

Clearing is a poor word choice. Think other side of the copse.

Brionne will sneak over to the other side of the copse and see if he can find anything, either people there or more tracks. He will try not to be seen if possible.

The Book of Mundane Beasts (more of a pamphlet, really) is a free pdf download on the Atlas Games Ars Magica page - the wolf is on page 5.

They have Per 0, the Quality Keen Sense of Smell (and Sharp Ears, as well), and the Abilities Awareness 3 (smell) and Hunt 4 (track by smell).

The copse is behind the party, going back that ways is going back toward's Paul-Henri's. There is no scent, no trace of wagon tracks, horse tracks, horse apples or horse pee outside the area immediately away from the trees.

Brionne returns to the maga and whines, not knowing how else to communicate what he found.

I'll give the Virtues/Flaws and keep Brione's abilities and characteristics. In this case, it is actually more beneficial, because Brione has Per +1 and the awareness is the same. I wanted to make a call while I was away from easy access to books (almost everything I have is PDFs, thank you e23 and Atlas!), posting on my phone doesn't make lookups in those circumstances easy. The ease factor was easy for tracking to the copse, so it was easily accomplished without any die rolling, with the Keen Sens of Smell virtue factored in.

Fiona will hold up a hand, hopefully signaling the others to watch where they step and not obsure or erase the tracks (such as they are).

Fiona laughs and reminds Brionne that he can change back at any time. (one of the few things that's always bugged me about the A-M magic system is how deucedly difficult it is to cancel a spell you've cast...something like a PeVi at twice the original spell level, iirc?)

So there are no tracks from the horses or wagons coming to or from the copse...merely tracks in the copse?

Hmmm...I've been thinking about this for a day, and the only way I can come up with how they got the stuff there and out again is something like a Hermes Portal...and if Atsingani and/or Montverte have set up a Hermes Portal out here to steal our ship, then there's something really scuppering big going on. Or a really honkin' huge Fly-type spell. Or Seven-League Stride variant with Herbam and Animal requisites?

So...Magic Theory for Fiona to hopefully come up with an idea. Int 1 + Magic Theory 6 + die roll of 7 = 14.

Perhaps Trackless Step or something similar.

dopeslap And jacking Trackless Step to R: Voice and T: Group would make it a Level 25 spell...probably well within the reach of any magus more than ten or fifteen years out of Gauntlet who's so inclined.

Mkay. Take a good look around the copse...does it look like it's possible for us to secrete ourselves here so that we're not seen by anyone approaching, especially at night?

No. And upon deeper reflection you can be sure you were obseved the night before.

Shazbot. Well, can't be helped now.

At least whoever it was knows that we're on to them and hopefully won't try it again.

[color=blue]"Well, let's head back to the paddock, lads. I doubt we'll find anything else here."

When they get back, she is going to try to get some rest (and advise the others to do likewise). That evening, she is going to set up a watch schedule so that one or two people are awake and watching the sheep at all times (on top of the normal shepherds), and will try to keep watch with them all night.

How does he change back? Did she give him a wolf's pelt or something? Also a wolf can probably chase down a horse and wagons if we can just get a bearings on it. A bird's eye view might be helpful.

If you want Fiona to know that information, you have to have cancelled the spell. Cancelling it is a matter of just wishing for it to end.

I thought you needed a wolf's pelt or something otherwise had to have the spell cancelled or duration run out. Shape of the Woodland Prowler requires the pelt for example.

The text of the spell says, "The target may change back at will..." Fiona did put a wolf's pelt on top of Brione when she cast the spell.

((And there we go))

Brione the wolf turns in a circle three times in some frustration and then starts to chew at his right forepaw until his teeth catch the flap of the pelt. With a bit of work he sloughs off the pelt and stands up as a man again. Doing what he can to cover himself he addresses Fiona with his slightly lisping voice.

"Apoligies m'lady. I could not follow the trail past a point...but if we could see where they went to ground again...perhaps I could follow them as a wolf. I was very fast I think. Perhaps as a bird we could see where they went?" he suggests with a slightly needy voice.

Fiona says nothing at first, but looks to Ivor for a translation. Assuming that he translates faithfully, she will shake her head. [color=blue]"No. They have used magic effectively to cover their tracks coming to and from the copse." As she waits for Ivor to translate for Brionne, she wonders why they did not use the same, or similar, magics to conceal their tracks actually in the copse.

[color=blue]"Tonight, we watch, we wait...and hopefully spring the trap."

Brione sighs and then looks like he has an idea. "Well m'lady, we should keep an extra vigilant guard then, and since we don't wish to be seen, perhaps ye could favor me with an enchantment? Lord Alexei uses a spell he calls Eyes of the Cat I think. With it I am able to watch very carefully and not need a torch or lamp." he wrings his hands as he asks for the favor.