1220.4 Where have ewe gone? (Fiona's season)

Completely out of play, if there's going to be a trap, I need an idea of what you want to do.

If you need more information about your assets (such as a Holocaust Cloak) or anything let me know.

Not going to be a very elaborate trap, unfortunately. Although a Holocaust Cloak would be right handy, if we happen to have one laying around.

Basically, Fiona's plan is:

• Watch and wait, hopefully in hiding so as to not be seen.
  • If one (or more) of the sheep start wandering, follow them.
  • Find out who or what is waiting for the sheep when they get wherever they're going.
  • Let them know that such tomfoolery will not be tolerated.

Don't know if it's going to work, or even if they're going to try to pull off another raid that night, but it's worth a try.

If it involves casting spells on Brione you have his full support!

Well, since you went through all that trouble...

Nothing happens, no sheep go missing or start wandering off, no one comes by at night. Paul-Henri is beginning to grumble a bit, though. He's lost several sheep now, and while you did manage to keep a prized ram, he's more concerned about the missing ewes and the coming lambs.

[color=blue]"Aye, that would be good to cast on everyone watching tonight. I have one or two more tricks up my sleeve should things not go well."

Fiona is also not happy about not being any closer to knowing who's raiding them than she was before, but doesn't let her irritation show (Com 2 + Guile [hiding true feelings] 3 + die roll of 4 = 9)

[color=blue]"We'll not be letting the bastards get any more of our sheep, Paul-Henri. And I'll keep working on who did it, believe me."

She will have two guards (and a cursor) stand watch - one at the paddock and one near the copse in question - every night for at least the next week or two. The one at the paddock is to follow any sheep that wander off like the one or two did before, to be sure they're going the same place and in the same direction, and to watch for anything else out of the ordinary. And, if possible, get enough info or a good enough look at anyone to describe them to Fiona. The one near the copse is to simply watch and try to get an identification, but is not to try to interfere or face down the raiders...especially if there's a magus involved. The cursor will be either at the paddock or near the copse, his choice, and he is to run back to the covenant to get Fiona if anything happens.

Fiona's irritation doesn't show in front of Paul-Henri. His discomfort can be attributed to the Gift, and maybe Fiona's size. He appreciates the help Fiona can provide, but would just as soon have her out of his house.

The cursor does run back, two days after Fiona has returned to the covenant. Paul-Henri's neighbor came to visit and reported a similar incident, but this time about 20 ewes were taken, again all pregnant. His paddocks are about 10 miles west of Paul-Henri's. Paul-Henri sent the cursor to you and asked that you come back to his house, before seeking out the neighbor. It's late evening by the time the cursor reaches Fiona, as the neighbor came by in the afternoon.

Fiona will send messages to the others (same group as before) to let them know that we'll be leaving first thing in the morning.

When we get to Paul-Henri's, she will ask him what happened, and why he had her come here instead of his neighbor's.

When Fiona arrives Paul-Henri is pacing in the small cottage he shares with his family. His family isn't around. When she asks why he asked Fiona to come to him he hands her a piece of parchment with a large slit in it. On the parchment are some words in Latin and a picture of a sheep with an X through it and x's instead of eyes. He tells you it was put on his door with a wicked looking knife, which he hands to you, as well. The words read, "Mons Electi, your assistance is no longer required unless you want all the sheep killed. These sheep farmers are now under our protection."

Fiona will make a show of examining the knife intently for a minute (and it likely is a show, as she has no warrior or metalsmithing abilities, unless there's a mark or device or something on the knife to identify it), then hand it to Ivor. [color=blue]"What do ye make of this, lad?" she asks him in Gaelic. When he hands the knife back to her, she will wrap it carefully and put it away in something, in case it might be an arcane connection to someone or might have some other magical use.

She will also examine the note. I think it's safe to assume that the blackguards didn't have the courtesy to sign the bloody thing.

[color=blue]"I take it nobody saw or heard anything when the note was nailed to your door?" she asks Paul-Henri through whoever's translating.

"No, I was out with the sheep," he replies tersely.

[color=blue]"And your family? They saw and heard nothing? I am not accusing...I am merely trying to find out what kind of magics they used to deliver the message."

At mention of his family his demeanor changes noticeably and he becomes much more nervous, "My family is not here." He pauses, as if considering his words carefully, "they are somewhere safe."

Fiona looks at the shepherd sternly. [color=blue]"You think that they are in danger? Why did you not come to us, then? We are not totally ineffectual. We will take you in, protect you while we get this..." She waves the note and the dagger vaguely. [color=blue]"straightened out. The magi that are stealing your sheep...they are simply using your door to deliver a message, that is all."

Paul-Henri reaches his breaking point and tears start streaming down his face. "Go. Leave my house now!" he screams at you and your entourage.

The SG has made an Awareness check on your behalf, and something is not right, but you can't put it all together. He's not saying something and he seems scared more than anything.

What little French Fiona has managed to pick up since she came to Mons Electi is good enough for her to understand Paul-Henri. She takes a last look around the cottage, trying to figure out what she's missing, before she motions to the others to leave. As she ducks her head under the door-jamb, she pauses. [color=blue]"They will be fine," she says in broken French before she closes the door behind her.

She stands outside the door and looks around. [color=blue]"What am I missing?" she asks in Gaelic, more to herself than anyone else.

She then looks at the others and asks if any of them know where this other farm is located, and if they think they can make it there by nightfall.

Then she speaks to the cursor. [color=blue]"I need ye to take these back to the covenant, lad," she says as she hands him the note and the knife. [color=blue]"I need ye to take the knife to...Alexei. Tell him that Fiona would like him to examine the knife, see what he can tell me about it...both the knife itself and any magic that may be associated with it. Also, give the note to a page and have him check with all the magi in turn, see if any of them can tell me anything about it."

Let me explain. No, there is too much, let me sum up.
His family is not in the house.
Paul-Henri has never been rude to you before, he invited a Gifted Magus to stay in his house.
He was pacing, and it was obvious he was out of sorts when you arrived.
There was a note left on the door, with that knife.
When asked about his family he got nervious and said they weren't at home.
He chose words carefully when he said his family was safe.

(wow...so that's what a clue-by-four feels like...kewl! :laughing: )

Once it clicks that Paul-Henri's family's been taken hostage, Fiona rethinks parts of her plan. She will still send the knife and the note to Mons Electi, as she has neither the mundane knowledge nor the magical skills to track down what she thinks might be gleanable from it.

She will then look to Brione. [color=blue]"I need ye to try to find his family's scent, see if ye can figure out where they've taken them. Hopefully it'll go better than it did yesterday."

Once it's been translated to him, she will once again drape the wolf-pelt over his shoulders and touch him with her talisman, casting Shape of the Woodland Prowler silently and without gestures. Mu 16 + Co 14 + 14 + Sta 3 + Mastery 1 - words/gestures 15 + die roll of 4 = 37, vs a Spell Level of 25.

:laughing:

Picking up a scent and even following a trail in wolf form is easy. Given his ability/characteristics it's automatic, and since it's not stressful no die roll is necessary to check for botch. BTW, unless your spell is in doubt, if the CS exceeds what is necessary to cast the spell I don't need a roll, unless you want to make it a stress die, or aren't using words/gestures or doing something different that might create a possibility of failure. Are you going to follow Brionne?

Additionally, there is a wagon trail in evidence, along with signs of relatively fresh horse apples.

Brione in wolf form leaps to the task, his own sensibilities outraged over first the sheep stealing and now the family kidnapping of one of the loyal covenfolk. He follows the trail and gets a good lead on it before slowing for Fiona and party.