1221.0 Council Meeting

Alexei was drinking and snoozing through much of the discussion choosing (perhaps wisely) to stay out of it in his current temper. But...

"Wait...as vassals we had some control. Now you suggest they join us? This likes me not! I still have a bone to pick with the one that apparently is leader of a bunch of brigands!"

"Alexei, I think you have yourself turned around. As a vassal, we have no control over their actions, how they conduct themselves. They can do as they desire, so long as they meet the terms of their vassalage with us. In addition we have responsibilities to them, to come to their aid, should need arise. Could such assistance because they've raided something to big for them to handle?

"If they are members, we control their individual actions through censure, or other disciplinary action. If this Jacques leads a raid against a farmer, a travelling merchant, or a mundane lord, we can discipline him if he's part of Mons Electi. We cannot discipline him when he's part of Atsingani, and worse, we can be just as responsible for his actions, because he is our vassal. We can discipline our vassal, certainly, but this affects all the magi."

"Thatsh what I was saying!" he slurs as he slaps his hand down on the table. "We are responsible if they keep raiding as vassals! They raid some covenant's sheep and that covenant comes to us! And then what! We need to give the spanking should they mess up!"

"So you think we should invite the members of Atsingani to dissolve their covenant and join us?

"Damn right!" Alexei snarls.

Onesiphorus looks up from his wax tablet where he has been drawing some new additions for his lab. Sorry but I must ask and perhaps someone can fill me in... Why should we take care of these magi eithar as members or as vassals? They sound more like trouble than anything else. Should we not keep them at pillum range and be content with that?

"So it appears most of us want to bring them into the fold, if the members of Atsingani are interested, rather than allowing the covenant to become our vassal. Should we invite them in and put the question to them directly? Or must we have unanimous agreement before doing so?"

I would think that a majority should be enough. Korvin pauses, " But should we considered, if they all accept the invitation, what we would do with them? Do we have room for more labs? Or would they become more of a chapter house, a'la the Rhine Tribunal and stay at their own buildings.

Alexei's eyebrows are furrowed. Did he just agree to inviting them into the Covenant as members? He shakes his head to clear it. He must have, they were all agreeing to it now, he shrugged his shoulders, maybe this could work out. "But! But, I want some bloody assurances that they're not just a bunch of thieving wizards come to steal our vis! What are they bringing to make sure we can trust them! And I want them to submit their Turb for a thorough..." he cracks his knuckles "Inspection! My man Gunnar has a way with truculent and willful Grogs. I bet Mufarrj does as well!"

[color=blue]"Each member of Atsingani, if I'm interpreting our charter correctly, is still subject to the unanimous vote of the Council if they are to be offered status of Probationary Members. I do not think we are agreeing to offer Atsingani membership en masse. However, there is nothing prohibiting their invitation as Protected Guest, which is good until either the inviter or a majority of the Council revokes that status."

She looks directly at Apollodorus and address the council as a whole. [color=blue]"Is there any among us willing to take responsibility for inviting the whole of Atsingani to be our Protected Guests while we evaluate the possibility of extending invitations to become members of the Covenant?"

Apollodorus returns Fiona's gaze, "Is there a reason you aren't doing this, but are willing to accept them as a vassal?"

Before she can answer, "I'm not formally requesting that they become members, yet. I want to see how they respond to our questions before we decide. I don't believe we need unanimous consent of the council to let them know we are considering offering them membership, that's the question I was asking. We do need it to be able to ratify their membership. Pending their answers to questions I can certainly see offering them Protected Guest status. We need to have a conversation with them. That they are here says something, but I'm not sure what."

[color=blue]"If the consensus is to invite them to be our Protected Guests, I have no objection. That may, in the long run, prove to be as effective as having them as our vassals.

"And, should we decide that we do not traffic in vassalage, then that will be something for us to remember in the future.

"As regards to offering them membership, whether singly or as a group...I will reserve judgment until such time as they have proven themselves to me."

"Well they've already proven themselves to me..." grumbles Alexei.

Apollodorus says, "Very well, then invite them in. I intend to listen, I've already made my feelings and motivations clear. Everyone else here needs to satisfy themselves with regards to these magi." He relaxes into his chair and adopts a contemplative pose.

Fieltarn glances at the thoughtful faces of the other magi for a moment, then at Fiona as he rises, hands resting on the large table.
"Allow me..."

Then he goes to the doors, looking in the hall where Atsingani's magi are waiting.
"If you would please come in and introduce yourselves, Sodales." He says, smiling in an engaging manner.

Coming into the council chamber are two magi and a maga who, age wise appear to be in their late 30s or early 40s. Viviana has a lovely olive complexion, dark hair and brown eyes, she still retains a measure of her youthful beauty. Jacques carries himself as a military man of poor means and wears the insignia of House Flambeau, he appears to have some Frankish or Flemish ancestry by those capable of noticing (awareness of 12 or FK of 9 rolls). There is another magus of indeterminate lineage, but appears to have similar complexion to Viviana.

Viviana closes her yes halfway, so no one can see the pupil or iris. "It would seem that Jacques has negotiated a change in our vasslage and we are here to affirm that change with the full council of Mons Electi." She says this in a manner as if she's playing a part, going through something she's intimately familiar with. They are standing before the council, "May we sit?"

Alexei was standing as tall and rigid as he could, the knuckles on his hand turning white from the grip he had on it. After several tense moments when they assemble in he finally, stiffly gestures to any remaining seats.

"Please...Sodales, have a seat. Pray tell, is Jaques with you?" he asks with strained formality as he stares daggers into the one wearing the Flambeau emblem.

"Of course he is, for I am Jacques." He looks at Alexei with a warm smile. "Allow me to introduce Viviana," he says as Viviana sits. "And we have our mage-smith, Argyros of Verditius," indicating the man seated to Viviana's right. "Viviana's mater is ill, and she remains in her wagon."

"We of Atsingani are at your service," he says with a flourishing bow and then sits.

((Ohh! Being polite and formal! He really knows how to push Alexei's buttons! :imp: ))

Alexei's teeth can be heard grinding as Jacques makes his introduction. He takes a breath or two to try and steady himself, he is almost ready to literally fly at the young magus but he stops himself.

"Thank you...sodales. You are here to discuss our future relations with this Covenant, Mons Electi. I understand Jacques entered...negotiations with Fiona." he gestures to the giant Maga. "We need to clarify our relationship. But first...I am Alexei Von Kroistau of House Flambeau." he pauses as he smiles at Jacques. "Perhaps you've heard of me?"

"I'm afraid I do not know of you, Alexei. You see I was discovered by Viviana, who didn't feel she could open my Arts, and found a master for me from the Stonehenge Tribunal, another ex Misc. I completed most of my apprenticeship with him, but he fell on hard times, and he sold me to a Flambeau for a king's ransom in vis. But that is neither here, nor there. Our knowledge of our neighbors is limited to what we learn when we go to Tribunal. We were aware of Apollodorus, but weren't aware of how extensive his holdings were, or that he was no longer an eremite."

Please make a guile +com roll (or other appropriate ability) to hide your feelings.