1221.t The Joust

"Umm, thank you," he says, accepting the offer of Vis through gritted teeth from the pain. You get the idea that such and offer is unusual and a murmur goes through the crowd of assembled Magi and covenfolk observing.

It's not a recognition roll for the competitor. I had you roll for Alexei last round to see if Alexei noticed something happening with Santiago. I'll keep the roll of 9 for your competitor, it suggests you'll have a relatively easy opponent, either being in a weak part of the ladder or your current competitor upset his last opponent.

You're matched against up against Scorpius ex Tytali, part of a cenobium.

It's a huge hassle doing the die rolls, so I'm going to skip it this time.

First round Scorpius misses you, but you connect for a solid hit, doing a light wound to him, but he stays on his horse. The second round you both connect, however your shield easily absorbs the glancing blow (no damage) as does your lance on his shield, so you have a slight lead going into the final round. The third round he connects, but at great personal cost to himself, and for no better than how he connected the second round (no damage). His attack leaves him completely vulnerable to your attack and he's unhorsed, with a badly broken leg (heavy wound, he botched his defense, so he has to soak 26). That die roll is here: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3273676/

No confidence point spent.

Alexei is in the final four, and guarnteed to walk away with at least 3 +1 points in the tournament for Mons Electi.

Same drill, roll for competitor and attack/defense.

Int+Awareness:
1d10+2 → [9,2] = (11) 11
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3273929/

1st attack:
1d10+13 → [8,13] = (21) 21
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3273931/

1st defense:
1d10+14 → [6,14] = (20) 20
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3273932/

2nd attack:
1d10+13 → [10,13] = (23) 13 Possible botch
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3273934/
3d10 → [3,2,4] = (9) 3 Botch dice rolled, no botch
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3273935/

2nd defense:
1d10+14 → [10,14] = (24) 14 Wow! Another possible botch
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3273936/
3d10 → [3,9,1] = (13) 3 Botch dice rolled, no botch
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3273937/

3rd attack:
1d10+13 → [6,13] = (19) 19
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3273940/

3rd defense:
1d10+14 → [3,14] = (17) 17
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3273941/

Alexei will spend a Confidence point on the 2nd defense roll and also the 3rd attack roll (if either of those will make a difference).

What exactly are you putting on the end of your spear?

A metal foot basically, blunted. If he couldn't have one crafted (he can't cnjure it otherwise it would bounce off the parma). If he wouldn't have time to get that forged then he'd wrap a regular spear head with leather and put wood at the tip to blunt it.

Sure, it's possible if you want the metal blunted tip. I just wanted to make sure what you had actually selected.

This event is pretty evenly matched. Despite rolling a 9, the competitors getting through to this round are all very well seasoned.
You're facing off against Epifano of Flambeau. He is not a Milite, nor part of the Tribunal.

The first run through the lists sees both opponents miss. Alexei is sure that he should've hit. The second run through both competitors hit on their shields, but the combination of armor and shields protect both from damage. The third round is the same result.

Sudden death elimination rules:

Roll initiative (hadn't been doing it before, because it didn't matter, but whoever hits first wins in this case.)
Roll 1 attack and 1 defense

"Well done Epifano! Well done. Come, let us tilt again!" Alexei calls out and salutes. If possible while waiting for the last bout, he'll wrap the spearhead in leather, going on the assumption that he has some kind of Rego defense up. Perhaps it won't work as well with Leather covering the spear.

Initiative:
1d10+3 → [4,3] = (7) plus a Confidence point 10
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3274068/

Attack:
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3274070/

Defense:
1d10+14 → [10,14] = (24) Arrgh!!! Hopefully I got initiative. Total (in case of no botch) 14
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3274071/

Possible Botch:
3d10 → [2,2,5] = (9)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3274072/

Epifano returns his salute, wordlessly.

Alexei has a grim feeling as he hurdles down he lists at Epifano. invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3274074/
Initiative 9+3 wins
His attack 16 +3=19> 14, should be enough, but at the last minute his lance veers from you just enough.
Alexei's attack connects, and I need an awareness roll.

No confidence is spent. By the way, Alexei's armor feels extremely comfortable, almost as if it is part of his skin.

Alexei moves on to the finals. This will be played out differently than previous rounds. An hour and a half break until the last round.

At some point between the end of the previous match and the final round Maris, he head still bald, comes into the competitor's pavillion on your side of the field. "Alexei, you're in grave danger."
Also, what has Alexei been doing between his heats? Watching others or keeping to himself?

Awareness roll:
1d10-1 → [7,-1] = (6) 6
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3274128/

Alexei is watching the other competitors and enjoying some refreshments between bouts. He takes a moment to adjust his armour, he doesn't recall it feeling so comfortable before, even with the spell he used to make it light. At Maris's sudden intrusion he smiles.

"Grave danger of winning this bloody tourney I should say! Come, have wine with me, do you know yet who I shall be facing?"

Alexei's awareness roll is enough for him to realize that the armor and his skin have fused together. As he attempts to adjust it, he find it's is perfectly comfortable.

"I certainly do, and he's a fair bit better than you are. You got really lucky in your ladder. And that last match, you should've lost but Rotgiers de Gerberoy intends to kill you in the next round, 'accidentally' of course." By this point you've seen him in action. He's literally crushed his competition, no one has been able to go three rounds with him.

Alexei looks down in consternation and then a bit of panic when he realizes the armour has stuck to his skin. He pulls and tugs at it a bit and then thinks back to when he cast it. Had he miscast it somehow? One of the disadvantages that came with his natural ability to cast spells imperceptibly was that he had a hard time noting the mistakes he might have made. He needed to know if the armour was compromised though. He pulled his knife and stroked the blade along his left forearm to see if the blade turned on the mail or not, ignoring Maris for the moment and any reaction he makes as he tests his armour.

"Who? Rotgiers? Who is that? Did he intervene? Why would he want to kill me? How does he intend to do?" he asks as he surveys the results of his test, despite his questions he doesn't seem as concerned as he might..

((What spells are allowed in the joust? For example can he cast a touch spell, like his newest one Titan's Gentle Slap on his opponent when the lance strikes? Has Alexei seen Rotgiers joust yet?))

The knife does not bite into the skin, not at all. What's more Alexei doesn't feel it unless he presses very hard, and even then, it's a dull bit of pressure.

"Rotgiers, of Montverte, was the senior Tremere in Tribunal, and Iaeptus let him have free reign and vote Tremere sigils as he saw fit. Since Iaeptus was at Blackthorn in Stonehenge, it wasn't a concern. But I am now the Exarch, and I am in residence at the Tribunal. He chafes at the loss of his independence. And then, I believe Mons Electi has angered Montverte...

Alexei shakes his head in some confusion. "A strange reason to want me dead. I had nothing to do with that, if he's so angry why not just challenge me to Wizard's War like a real Magus. No matter, I shall be fine. But thank you, how was he going to 'accidentally' kill me then?"

((I totally forgot something that could have an impact on this. Alexei's talisman has a constant effect of Shriek of the Impending Shafts, it gives a +9 Defense against wooden weapons, would it apply in the joust?))

"A strange reason to want you dead? Can someone else talk some sense into him? People have wanted others dead for less. And if he can kill you on the field of battle, without a Wizard's War, you may not think it is honorable, but it is certainly easier. It is likely Montverte isn't entirely ready to move against you, or that he is acting on his own. My announcement of being named Exarch shortly after our dinner at your covenant and the involvement your covenant has had with Atsingani are two strong reasons, perhaps. What drew my interest was Santiago. He was ranked 4th last year. I found it extremely suspicious that he did so poorly."

Why don't you have Alexei ask a Intellego expert?

Edit: changed Rego to Intellego, and added "are two strong reasons, perhaps" in the sentence above about the anouncement & Atsingani.

Alexei scowls. "Again, it still seems like hardly a reason to want me dead. These intrigues are so tiresome. You have been to these tournaments before, would you mind answering a question or two regarding this? A spell such as Shriek of the Impending Shafts...that should effect a lance yes? And is it permissable...legal, to cast a spell on my opponent, such as one directed through the lance?"
He'll look for Appollodorus if Maris can't provide much of an answer.

"That spell requires you to dodge, which is extremely hard to do on horseback. Also, the shreak would be coming from the same direction the entire time."

She pauses when you ask about the legality of what to cast."No, it is not permissible to cast spells on your opponent. You may only cast spells on yourself, your mount, or your lance. Spells to make you or your mount as large as a giant are forbidden, unless your opponent is a giant. Rotgiers is a large man, but he is no giant. That being said, I know it is done. I had my aide monitoring the last match. I know your opponents lance was turned, and I know you were not the one to do it." She looks uncomfortable, and you can guess she knows who did it, but will not name them.

"Oh, and Alexei, warding yourself against wood probably won't be enough. He has a spell that summons a lance made of Bone. And my dossier on him says he can make firgurines of Magi to aid in penetration." Alexei realizes that warding himself against animal products would make riding a horse with a leather saddle difficult, not to mention the straps of armor that are still animal hide in places where they aren't close to the skin.

Alexei nods, growing thoughtful as he absorbs the information. "Maris, I thank you. Ordinarily I would not want an undo advantage against my opponent, but he seems to be flaunting the rules himself. A bone lance you say? Interesting. Quite clever. Hmmm..."

He reaches for his shield and holds it up, concentrating on it for several seconds.

Casts Hardness of Adamantine on his shield, I don't know if it will change its stats but making it more durable is the goal.

1d10+26 → [4,26] = (30) 30
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3274371/

From here he'll try a spontaneous spell:
Aegis that Breaks the Spear PeAn (He)
R: Touch +1 D: Sun +2 T: Ind+1 (for increased size)
Base 2 (damage an animal product) Final Level 10

The spell causes Animal and Herbam products to be damaged upon touching the surface of the shield it is cast on, the damage seems to be as if a sudden, great force was imparted on the item. It does not destroy the target outright, but damages it, typically splintering wooden shafts or bone weapons that are swung at the shield, the force of the weapon's blow dissipating as it shatters.

Alexei will cast this without voice or gestures, it should be easy for him to do so. Any extra levels will be spent for the extra effect of negating the blow as it (hopefully) shatters on his shield. That should be a byproduct of the spell, but an extra magnitude might be justified for the special effect.

Sta+2 Pe 11 + An9/(He10) +3 (special Circumstances) Casting total +25

Spell casting roll (with a Fatigue spent):
[1,25] = (26) Oh my!
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3274385/
Exploder die: 1d10 → [7] = (7)
14+25=39/2 = 19

Final spell level: 19

Alexei straps the shield on, careful not to touch any leather products on the face of the shield. "I shall face him honourably, as God intended. Let us see how well he fares." he points his spear directly at his opponent wherever he stands.

((There should enough time for him to relax and regain the fatigue right))

39/2=19.5, and by the rounding rule it rounds to 20.
The effect level is 10, and you have 10 levels available for penetration, agree?

All these could be done in the privacy of the Pavillion. Since you are the last competitor here, only Alexei and his supporters are in. Competitors can actually end up casting two spells during the rounds at the lists. One can be timed to go off as a competitor starts down the list, and then another one at the point of impact. Concentration rolls of 9+ need to be made to cast the spell and aim the weapon.

This jousting match, since it is actually more like combat, just carefully controlled, will have initiative, but since there is a break in action while both competitors reset, initiative is rolled every round.

Go ahead and do round 1 initative, attack and defense.

((10 Penentration and he a 3 Penetration skill))

Alexei offers no salute as he stares down the field at Rotgers as he brings up his spear and puts spurs to the horse's flanks.

Initiative:
1d10+3 → [4,3] = (7) 7
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3275591/

1st attack:
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3275592/

1st defense:
1d10+14 → [10,14] = (24) Why now? :angry: 14, possible botch
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3275595/
3 botch dice: 3d10 → [8,9,8] = (25) No botch

I'd like to try a fast cast defense, but I just don't see how it would work, by Wizard's Parry for example. Alexei will spend a Confidence Point on Defense to hopefully take the lance on his shield and see what the spells I cast did for it.