1222.1a Listen, Do You Smell Something?

"Coins?" Wen guesses...it's been a while since anyone's given her a new riddle. "The gadgets and thingies you use when doing magic stuff? Um....Oh! I know! Little silver rods! Like..um...Viscaria has!" Wen beams to have figured it out.

For high german, none, IIRC. At most, they might be able to make out a few simple words, such as "hunger", "cold" and such, but not much else. :frowning:

But at least, he speaks a human language, and seems mundane enough for Isen. Not a threat to the covenant or tribunal, probably.

I'm going to shortcut this due to multiple issues going on...

1. The best site is a hill/mont not far from the castle courtyard (visible). It will require some work to make it large enough to host the fair, temporary housing and the tribunal/tournament ground. With some work a bridge can be built to reduce round trip time from covenant to mountain to 5 minutes from 2 hours.
  2. In addition to the one Viscaria fell through there is another entrance to the regio immediately next to a guardshack.
    3)The extent of the regio is vast, the diameter is nearly 20 miles. A more systematic method of scouring the terrain is necessary to uncover more information.
  3. There appears to be a hole at the border, it looks to be cave entrance into the side of a mountain that is otherwise impassable.

As Isen starts to leave, Wilhelm will call out "Magus?"

When Isen turns, Wilhelm will say, in French, "Dites-leur que je suis en attente de l'aide à la reconstruction que Jormungand m'a promis." ("Tell them that I am waiting for the help with rebuilding that Jormungand promised me.")

He then returns to his work.

Okay...

Isen don't understand a thing, so he'll repeat the phrase as wzell as he can, being corrected if necessary, until he's sure he can tell it right.
This must be this, being a redcap, does he think.

As previously planned, Viscaria will spend the rest of Spring season exploring the regio systematically along with any who will help her. SG willing, this may include sculpting a stone map of the regio during the course of the season.

OOC, I think it would be great fun for her to essentially adopt the Welsh clan into her entourage since their original player is gone (especially if we can say their skill with wool translates to silk and spidersilk), along with any other dropped grog-types. Unless anyone objects, I'd like them to join the scouting team. I'd also like to tap Wilhelm for the duty, as he seems to be the only forester we know. I'm tempted to make a 2nd forester-grog just cuz of that, but I sort of like that we don't use anybody else.

Given the real-life interference, I'm perfectly willing to have JL pick this site as "best," but it would be helpful for future planning to give some rough guidelines as to why we chose it over other sites. Does it, for example, contain stone suitable for building? A large source of stone would also help her quickly build that bridge you mentioned.

Does anyone ever mention Wilhelm's promised cottage to Viscaria? It'd be somewhat humorous if it never came up, but it also seems somewhat unlikely that whatever magi promised it wouldn't think to pass the buck on to her.

Edit: Other grogs to possibly keelhaul into regio-exploration duty: Mélanie la coureuse, the turb (including our new, randomly generated friends).

Works for me (as I've more or less taken over their maintenance since Jonah left. Wen would be a good addition to the scouting team, with her Keen Vision. Deykin is already in the turb. Daffyd and Catrin might be useful if they can translate their woolworking skills to silk. Especially if they can find a common language.

Jormungand offered to help Wilhelm rebuild (or at least supply wood and get people to help) back in the fall, during the heavy flooding. I don't know if he has mentioned it to Fieltarn or anyone else or not. Though, Wilhelm was to have met with the council to discuss Fieltarn before we went back and finished that season. It might make sense for him to be called to see where/what kind of new house he wants, as he's been of no small help to the covenant the past year.

Well, Isen will repeat the words to the other magi, so, once translated, she should hear about it.

Done! Isen gets the message to Viscaria after quite a bit of confusion when it comes to translating the language.

...[redacted]...

Additional thoughts: Viscaria would probably offer to turn that fine wolf pelt vest of Wilhelm's into a Shape of the Woodland Prowler item for him someday.

Construction of the hut didn't happen...
see: Table talk (Bibracte) - #455 by Jonathan.Link

I'll delete that post and replace it with the correct mechanics once we sort out what they are.

Oh I think Viscaria would miss them but they do sound very shiny. I should see if i can find a small bit of mirror or a ring or coin.

Jacques makes his way to the Covenant to find something to trade with Pecess

A trade of a coin is sufficient. It's an early harvest for the auram vis source.

Okay, so after hashing all that out, Viscaria casts the ritual CrTe 25 spell, "Baroque Peasant Hut" for Wilhelm.

That's Cr 7 + Terram 15 + Affinity 3 + AL 1 + Philo 4 + Mastery 1 + Aura ? + die 1, 4 = 39 + Aura.

Int 3 + Prof: Arch 2 + Speciality 1 + die 5 = 11, for the design elements of the spell. Not as nifty as the 26 she rolled before, but ~shrug~ what can you do.

She spends 1 Terram vis, and 4 levels of Fatigue (Imbues with Terram Spirit) for the spell, which'll take 4 days to recover from, I believe. Note that she doesn't let on about the Imbued with Spirit thing, and if anyone asks her about it....well, we should roleplay that out.

Wilhelm seems choked up by the new cottage...Viscaria may not think it's much, but it's a darn sight better than he could have done, and more than he expected. Plus, it's stone, so it's a lot sturdier than what he had before. He'd be real surprised if this one ever gets washed downstream like his old one :smiley:

Assuming this chapter is closed, are we getting Adventure XP for it, or should Viscaria, Thera, and Vin note the Spring as Practice in Area Lore?

Are there other PCs waiting to hear on this chapter?

And Wen.

But, as near as I can tell, all that's left is for Viscaria (I guess) to make her report to the Council (which can probably be done off-stage).

I could give some adventure XP, but it wouldn't be much. Practice is probably a better deal, as I think it would be more XP, and goes to just one ability, and isn't limited to 5, as it would be from adventure. I stick to the 1 source per season thing, with the exception of allowing exposure every season for French, as I think is reflected in the HR.

So, that's AL:Mons Electi 7xp, French Exposure 4xp, Correspondence 1xp?

Does Thera get her Correspondence XP? Vin doesn't write to people.

Sounds good. I'll get something out for Thera, it's been percolating for a while.