1222: Intercharacter goodness

"I'd vote for this. Hell, in certain Tribunals or certain times, Corpus might be cheap and he can make quite the profit."

After everyone has voted on the disposition of Ysebrand, she'll mention the few items she'd bring to the council.

"I hope that everyone received my missive about the new covenant, Orientali Litore. I am unsure of their overall intentions. We should proceed cautiously with them. I don't believe that they really thought Insula Canaria was disbanded, but that is pure speculation on my part. It is the tendency for a Tytalus to see cabals where none exist. And where none do exist, well, a Tytalus will fill the vacuum." She smiles at the last remark.

"My crew is getting restless. I'm going to create a ship for them in the North Atlantic. They can sail the seas and then make their way back to Insula Canaria at their leisure and convenience. They can avoid the stormy seas of a a North Atlantic winter, and should get enough drinking and wenching elsewhere to be less of a bother here."

"Of a more personal nature, I'm endeavoring to improve my Arts to create a longevity ritual. I wish to reserve the common Lab on Eilean Chon this time next year. I believe I will be quite capable of a 9th magnitude ritual, and if a I use a bit of extra vis, 10th is not impossible. I was quite surprised by this. While this isn't a fantastic ritual, I think we might be able to come to some accommodation. For your assistance in the lab next autumn, creating my ritual, I will be willing to create your ritual when you are ready for it. I believe I can make use of two assistants."

"I will not need a ritual for quite some time yet. I will lend you the aid of my custos if you do not already employ a full complement of assistants."

"They don't get enough wenching here?" Doineann mutters under her breath.

"I don't know if you have your heart set on making your own Ritual," Eilid says, "but would you be interested in a Ritual that offers at least 15 or 16 magnitudes of protection? And I make this offer to anyone who is interested. Working alone in the Common Lab, I can invent a ritual of the 15th Magnitude. If you are somewhat intelligent and know enough Magic Theory to set up a proper laboratory, I can do one of the 16th. That would be slightly more effective than the ones I did for my sodales. I'm not much of a leader, though, so I could only make use of the person I'm making the Ritual for."

Talia seems genuinely surprised, "That offer changes my plans somewhat, but is quite generous. What do you ask in return?" ((If Talia can have exclusive access to the MT text for a year, she can get her MT to 5+2, being 5 xp short. Is spending 5 xp experience in MT reasonable given what she did in the summer of 1222, if so, she could have 6+2, for a total of adding 11 to Eilid's total, this also furthers some long range plans in getting her MT high enough to start enchanting big things, and is necessary to learn The Ambulatory Laboratory.))

"A favour in return at some point in the future...most likely some assistance in the laboratory."

((Don't see why not.))

"Very well, I'll brush up on my Magic Theory. I'm not really looking forward to this, I'm sure I'll be lost and have tons of questions. My master never taught me the least little bit about Magic Theory, what I know is what I picked up in the lab. Sometimes I can kinda guess how things are supposed to work and I'm correct, but it's still a big mystery to me." ((revising her seasonal activities accordingly))

"This is a bit of a sleepy port. They're overall lack of knowledge of Latin and the local language has hindered things a bit. They've kept me busy, I've sometimes had to take two and three at a time." Talia says without any trace of embarrassment, more like exasperation, "If I'm going to pursue my studies, that's going to have to settle down a bit. Besides, there are some here I'd like to get to know better, without my crew feeling all left out. Sal caused a bit of a kerfuffle when Douglas was here."

Halie speaks with Edgar about the holes in the library and the redundancies, and wants to come up with a plan to present to the council for rounding out the library.

Animal (Q7, L6): That's a Horse of a Different Color, by Bucephalus of Bonisagus.
Animal (Q15, L15): A Life In The Woods, by Felix of Merinita.
Aquam (Q7, L5): The Aqua Vitae And You, by Oceana of Merinita.
Auram (Q15, L15).
Corpus (Q11, L20): Corpus Revealed.
Creo (Q15, L15).
Herbam (Q7, L13): Trees Have Much To Say, by Drystan of Merinitae.
Imaginem (Q5, L5): Listen, Do You Smell Something? (author unknown).
Imaginem (Q15, L15).
Intellego (Q15, L15): Who Are You, What Do You Want?, by Lorien ex Criamon. Redundant. "I have an Intellego text with me of greater level and equal quality."
Mentem (Q5, L5): Thoughts Lost in Translation (author and translator unknown).
Muto (Q15, L15): The Book of Change.
Perdo (Q7, L6): The Everyday Book of Entropy, by Herman of Tremere.
Rego (Q7, L6): Control Your Emotions, Discipline Your Mind, by Severus Snape.
Terram (Q15, L15).
Vim (Q15, L15): The Aether and You: Applied Practical Magic for the Magus in the Field , by Albert Broccoli ex Miscellanea. Redundant (Joe)

Halie suggests trading off all the redundant texts described above, the L7 Q6 texts on Perdo and Rego and the L5 Q5 text on Mentem, and seeing if we can exchange them for better summae on Perdo, Rego, and Mentem. "I'm sure Durenmar won't take these useless texts," she says, "But perhaps a wealthy covenant known for trade would be interested in such a swap. I was thinking to try Doissetep first, and if that doesn't pan out, Fengheld or Harco. What think you, Edgar?"

Halie will spend some time over 1222 making friends with Wallace. When she's out hunting for her own meals, if she spots any succulent looking water lillies, she'll bring them back to the beaver.

She'll mention that she's planning to invent the Form of the Phlegmatic Heartbeast, and she's trying to get in touch with the beaver's Phlegmatic aspect.

In the middle of winter, Douglas the redcap returns to the covenant, with a confirmation of the new vis sources that the covenant wanted registered.

((Also, go ahead and discuss what books, if any, you want swapped out or retconned over the weekend, over in the Covenant Building thread. If there's a consensus by Monday night my time (EDT), I'll go with it; if not, the status quo.))

This your way of telling us you're taking the weekend off? :smiley:

I would, but I got no place to do. I feel pretty crappy about spending money when I don't have a job. Even seeing The Avengers was a harder decision than it would be normally. Didn't get the library job, but I did interview with the chocolate factory yesterday, should hear back from them by Tuesday.

But, no, I just don't want this dragging on for a month, s'all.

Preach on it.

Drystan does call for a special Council session when he gets Douglas's package (no, Talia, not that kind...you get his package later).

"Apparently," he says, "Siobhan did us all quite a service over the summer. She somehow managed to track down 18 pawns' worth of Vis sources, but got them registered to us with the redcaps."

He then reads off the newly-registered sources:

• An ancient battlefield (4 pawns Corpus): One of the covenant's pastures was the site of an ancient battle where many died, ending a feud. At sundown, on the last day of May, human bones surface at each of the cardinal directions. Each bone is a pawn of Corpus vis.
  • Roses of Eilean Chon (10 pawns Creo): There are ten rose bushes growing around the common lab on Eilean Chon. In early summer, they bloom, and one bloom from each bush is a pawn of Creo.
  • The Salmon of Truth (either 4 pawns Mentem, or Common Sense for one year): Every spring, one salmon in the Mhoireastain flowing into the Loch grants wisdom, or more usually 4 pawns Mentem.
  • Peat bog (4 pawns Perdo): North of the covenant's pastures is peat bog that traps unwary travelers and emits vile stenches. The first corpse (human or large animal) dug out after the spring contains 4 pawns of Perdo.

At some point in the Autumn council meeting, after Haile has mentioned Orientali Litore she gives her brief overview of initial relations with them.
"They don't seem to have anything to trade, and suggestions at trading are always demurred. Further, they are either libidinous or attempting to curry favor with us by engaging in sexual activity. My associate, Caoimhe appears to have become entrhalled with this Godiva of Jerbiton. Robin of Merinita, appears to be of the fae faction of the House and was quite interested in engaging me into a frolic, as well. No doubt he would like to lure me into the forest and ravish me before all the fairies there. Be warned. He has a silver tongue, and while I'm not bad looking, I'm not a fetching prize he made me out to be. I urge caution, and I will visit this Robin from time to time, as he and I have a better accord than Godiva."

Halie frowns. "I should probably meet this fellow and establish good relations of the less... transient... variety," she muses. "I'm sure you'd all find out soon enough... Despite my, um, parentage, I do not get on well with fae creatures. They pretty much hate me on sight. Making nice with this Robin fellow might help me avoid causing future problems for us, if the faerie population here is very prominent. If he's clever at all he will try to use such liaising as leverage over us, but I'd take a manipulative magus over scheming angry fae any day."

"You're a pretty woman, probably prettier than I am. I'd say he'd try and talk your clothes off you, too, but you rarely wear them... In any event, I have an open invitation extended to him to come aboard my ship anytime. Here's the telling thing. On the two occasions I visited I was never offered a casting token, despite my repeated attempts to engage in a friendly dialog and initiate trade. Is that odd?"

Halie shrugs. "I would not offer a casting token to some magus who showed up at my door, that I'd never met before," she replies. "In any case, I do not feel particularly moved by words or gifts. No man has ever piqued my romantic interest."

"I view it as a token of respect. The invitation can be easily rescinded if the intent of the invited isn't honorable. Be that as it may, they seemed uninterested in trading. Perhaps they thought I was extending the offer to measure their capabilities." Talia shrugs.