1222: Intercharacter goodness

"It only takes one spell to incapacitate someone to the point that they cannot rescind the invitation," Halie notes. "I'd hope you wouldn't extend such a token of respect to them should they return a visit."

Halie will gather up Dalla and ask her if she wants to go for a quick flight to visit some neighbours. After reconsidering what Talia said of Robin, she'll ask Athenus to accompany her as well.

"Very true, but then again such an attack is a high crime, and those interested in committing that kind of crime usually put a fair bit more thought into their criminal escapades. It's an act of politeness, and yes, trust. And while I agree that trust must generally be earned, someone on either side needs to take a leap of faith."

Halie gives a wan half-smile, half-frown. "It's only a crime if the perpetrator is caught," she posits. "If no one expected it to happen, an aegis would not be standard covenant protection. We'd all use circle wards, instead."

"A philosophical distinction, so apparently you feel that truth is flexible. What he does is a crime, however the interests of justice may not be carried out. I've used the same argument before, only a crime if you're caught, but this is usually the defense of someone who is rationalizing their actions and knows what they are doing is wrong against some standard of their conscience. I'm surprised to hear this come from a Quaesitor as young as you.

Checking for some knowledge of Whitbur: exploding die +2*10+3+1=24.
Pausing as if to consider, "this statement of it being a crime only if caught sounds like something I would ascribe to Whitbur, who, as you have indicated previously is corrupt and her decision to prosecute actions can be swayed for a price. In other words, her Justice is for sale."

Halie bristles. "Neither truth nor justice are flexible," she growls. "But only a fool believes our legal system isn't inherently deeply flawed. You bring up Whitburh-- she is a perfect example of why and how it does not work. The law is only as just and as effective as those who enforce it. Guernici choose apprentices based on their observational skills and their discretion. Note that character, morality, and ethical justice are not among their criteria," she seethes. "Did you know that in 1049, Arabeth Flambonis massacred an entire town in Provence? Thousands were murdered, including women and children. Every last resident perished where they stood. Do you know how what charges she faced?" Halie's eyes blaze with anger. "Depriving a magus of his magical power. Her massacre caused an Infernal aura to impinge upon the magic aura of a nearby covenant, and she was fined fifteen pawns of vis."

"My knowledge of history is, admittedly, limited. But you brought up the distinction of it being a crime if someone is caught without anything suggesting that is what you believe or that is how you believe the system is. And while that is a fine distinction to make, I ask you to understand that by not stating your response clearly, I had nothing else to base my reply on. Sodalis forgive me, but please don't drop such cynical statements onto me and expect them to let them stand unchallenged. Despite the fact that we are covenant-mates, we do not know each other well, and can only judge each other on our words and actions we have observed. I also have a certain reputation of the House to uphold, being a contrarian and all." Talia offers a warm smile indicating no hard feelings and suggesting she's not really as combative as her words tend to be in council.

"It is the nature of any legal system for legality to be dependent upon the observer," observes Halie. "Hermetic Law does not concern itself with anything but the preservation of the Order as a whole. Morality, ethics, and justice... these are all incidentals, when they play into Hermetic law at all." She frowns. "I am older than my youthful appearance indicates, but I expect I inherited my pater's jaded outlook upon the legal system. He is a great man, more concerned with justice than he is with legality. That is the real reason why he has always been passed over for Quaesitorial appointment-- he has been too openly critical of Guernicus. During my training at Magvillus it was obvious to my tutors that I share my pater's beliefs, but I am not as vocal as he. It is his way to expose secrets and rely upon social justice to resolve the problems that plague us-- which makes Magvillus look bad. It is my way to try and apply the law in the way that may best serve honour and justice-- which suits Magvillus fine, since my way doesn't hurt their preciously cultivated image."

((tl;dr "I'm a transitionalist because the law doesn't do enough to protect the innocent and punish the wicked"))

The evening that Douglas arrives in the covenant, he pays a social call on Talia. Sometime during his visit, he mentions an unconfirmed rumor that a ship flying Fengheld's colors was seen in Edinburgh harbor over the summer. He didn't see it himself, but from what he heard, it was only in port a few days before pulling out again.

Over pillow talk, there is some, right? She'll inquire about Orientali Litore, what he knows of them.

Unfortunately, he's not allowed to talk about other covenants or magi. All he can say is that there is a covenant called Orientali Litori, and that the members are Actius and Demios of Bonisagus, Godiva of Jerbiton, and Robin of Merinita. Anything beyond that is privileged, to protect the magis' privacy.

Not even for Talia? She'll increase the temperature of her loins, well, really everything..."Such a shame. So can you tell me how many other magae I share you with?
That's Base 2 is making something warm: R: Per D:Diam T:Ind. Cr 13+3 + Ig 14 + Sta 2 + Aura 3=35/(2*5)=4.

((Coupling that with a Charm roll or something to worm the information out of him?))

So, is everyone going to do just a quick flyover, go down to see what they find out, or do an actual social call? (this is early Fall, I believe?))

We'll pay a social call-- we just like to travel efficiently :slight_smile:

We'll try and time the charm check to the moment he's weakest... An awareness check of 7 to see when he's on the edge. And then the charm check of 5.

Halie (in Erne form), Athenus, Dalla fly across the loch next to no time (it's about a half hour straight line, and although there's an almost misting drizzle, there's no wind to speak of to help or hinder).

Once they draw close to the pentagonal castle that houses Orientali Litore, neither Dalla nor Athenus can enter the clearing that surrounds the castle.

Talia manages to time it just so, and Douglas is suitably overwhelmed by the unexpected (and extremely pleasurable) sensation. "Wow," he manages to gasp out when he's done, "that's new."

He lays there, caressing her thoroughly while he recharges. "I'm truly sorry, but I'm not allowed to talk about other magi, or covenants, to anyone else. More to avoid our getting involved in politics than anything else. You wouldn't want me sharing information about you with them, would you?" And he ignores her question about how many magae invite him to their beds.

Halie will venture down to the gates. "Hail, the covenant," she calls. "Quaesitor Hali Aeeta filia Corvus doctrinae Birna wishes to speak with Robin Merinitae."

Athenus alights on a branch as close to Halie as he can, while Dalla alights higher up in the same tree.

The guard manning the castle wall shouts down "Expecta!", but it sounds like it just might be the only Latin he knows, as badly as he mangled. it. He then calls down something in Gaelic to the courtyard, then stands there watching. He's momentarily joined by another guard who also stands there watching, if you want to call it that; it might be more accurate to call it "leering."

After a few minutes, the gate opens up and a youngish-looking man comes out, wearing brightly-colored clothing and a smile. "I wasn't expecting a Quesitor," he says. "I have no idea what you're here for."

((Just out of curiosity, is Halie's Faerie Antipathy Major or Minor? And did she take a Faerie Sympathy to go along with it? (RoP: F, p 102) ))

The naked Bjornaer quirks a brow. "I thought perhaps that you and I should meet," she says. After a moment's thought, she appends, "...Proximity can often sow... compete?"

(Yeah, I forgot to pick sympathy traits, for that and selkie blood. Done. Went positive for beasts and negative for summer fae.)

She thinks a moment longer, then continues, "My custodes require an invite; upon that yonder tree they did alight."

"To be honest, I was expecting to see Whitburh. Did she send you instead of her? But for tokens for your owl and crow, in a mere trice they shall be so." He rummages in his purse and pulls out a couple of token.

"Do you require a token of invite, or would you prefer our Aegis to fight?" He walks over to the tree, then calls to Halie over his shoulder. "These friends of yours,they have names, of course? I would let them in, none the worse for wear as soon as I can call them by name with tokens in hand."