1223.2 Whatever happened to Mr. Walid?

"We're coming in a little bit fast, and I'm having trouble slowing us down." As he says this the surface of the carpet seems to begin undulating, but hasn't bucked enough to throw everyone off. "If anyone can stiffen the fabric somehow, I'm doing my best to control the winds keeping us aloft without killing them entirely. The winds are not blowing evenly on the carpet anymore and now the surface is less rigid than before."

"I think it's a good thing too, dear boy. You see I was taken as an apprentice when I was 22, and already married for a two years, my daughters were born while I was an apprentice. I had incepted my Master of Arts at the Univerisity in Salamanca, and was finishing up my compulsory teaching requirements while trying to pursue admittance to the medical program. I was never admitted, and I now know why, it was The Gift. In my last term of teaching I taught a class of odd students from what we would call the Stonehenge Tribunal, but at the time, all I knew was that they were from England. They came a long way to avoid being spied upon by rival covenants and also their monarch. One of the chaperons was a Jerbiton who took me as his apprentice, he was an unobservant Jew, and our relationship was quite close for the two years we were together. In any event, I was already married and I insisted my wife come along with me, that I continue to observe my religion. Some of my demands were probably difficult, but then I didn't require as much training as the typical apprentice, and to be sure, he didn't teach me often, when I could read a book just as well, and was happy to help in the lab."
Ra'am pauses, "Well, it's a long boring story. Tria took me, and then two years later sold me to Propspero." Elizabeth looks on her father as if she's heard it a hundred times and would say something but she's too polite.

"Would I have had children if my Arts had been opened earlier, and I pursued magical studies? I don't know, but it is less likely."

Alexei looks somewhat alarmed at his request for help.

"Uh...what is the composition of the rug? I use a constant effect on my staff to make it as hard as iron, I can try something similar!" Alexei is already trying to bring to mind the formulas required, remembering vaguely that they already said the rug wasn't entirely plant based.

"Flying and take-off are relatively straight forward, but the landing of such a large object with people on it is more difficult than I exepcted, and the skill is beyond my ability to finesse the landing."

Ulrich will go ahead and try an Intellego Animal while the grown-ups talk :slight_smile: . I'm guessing Base 4 ("Get general information about its body), R: Touch (+1), D: Momentary, T: Individual, for a target level of 5. His CT is Sta 2 + In 7 + An 0 + Aura 0(?) + die roll of 1 (followed by a die roll of 9) a dice total of 18 = 27, halved is 14.

The rug is composed of wool and silk, mostly wool.

[color=green]"It's mostly wool," Ulrich almost shouts as he looks over the edge, [color=green]"and some silk. I'm sure my Rego is sufficient for me to control it, but my control is abysmal!"

"Control isn't what we need, it's holding it rigid, which might be more of a Muto effect."

[color=green]"Oh," Ulrich says, looking crestfallen, then thinks for a minute or two. [color=green]"In that, case, I have nothing." ((His MuAn is 2.))

Looking for an Int+Per <3... Otherwise, the landing is going to be one of luck, or Ra'm ends the effect and people can get off in other methods...

The carpet approaches the manor hours, and Ra'am circles about trying to slow it down, but it's not going as well as he would have like, and he outlines the possibilities to everyone...

"A moment..!" Alexei calls out and that grabs his staff and concentrates as he grinds the end of it into the carpet.

((Casting a MuAn spell to stiffen the carpet. Spending a fatigue

Sta +2 + Mu 14+ An 9+ 3 (Special Circumstances)

1d10+25 → [3,25] = (31, I forgot to add the Special Circumstances initially)

Is there an Aura bonus? Otherwise a 3rd magnitude spell. to try and give the rug a floor like consistency.))

The carpet stiffens out a bit, but it's not completely firm. The sides have fallen down, too so one could roll off the edge of the carpet.
Ra'am guides the carpet down in front of the manor house, but it's coming in too fast, and it crashes into the ground. If anyone wants to try and jump off or time a Wizard's Leap off the carpet, or a dodge roll off the carpet. Wizard's Leap is automatic... A dodge roll requires an awareness roll, which will tell me what kind of damage the character could take. Dodging off the carpet could be worse than the crash.

((Alexei can fast cast Wizard's Leap, can he teleport off and try another spontaneous spell? Or would that be fast cast too? Basically want to try teleporting off and making a quick spell to soften whatever it is they're about to land in, like Creo Animal for a bunch of feathers, or maybe Muto Terram to turn the ground soft))

Changing the aspects of the landing site isn't going to change much, as you're stopping something that's going 40 mph on someone's botched finesse roll.

((Got one chance then, we're falling but this might save on some damage))

Alexei's mind is thinking fast, at the speed they were going even landing in water would likely cause a lot of damage. What to do, he couldn't armour them in time, but maybe...

He stands up and shouts. "All of you lower your Parma!" as he lowers his Parma for himself and Ulrich. "This may save us, but you must trust me!" He is then going to cast Turb of Giants which will make everyone Size +3, probably most are going to tumble off the carpet at that point but the extra size can reduce the damage hopefully. After that Alexei will teleport off if he has time to fast cast Wizard's Leap.

Turb of Giants spell:

1d10+31 → [9,31] = (40) Success

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3690716/

Unfortunately the process of standing up on the carpet which isn't exactly firm causes Alexei to tumble and fall off the carpet before he can finish casting his spell to embiggen everyone on the carpet. He can Wizard's Leap during his free fall to safety and avoid damage. ((I had warned that standing wasn't advised earlier in the trip and indicated that the carpet wasn't exactly firm, despite the spell. The Wizard's Leap will prevent falling damage...))

((I had been warned...))

"All of you, lower your Parmaaaaaaa...!" Alexei yells after he falls off the carpet. Thinking quickly he begins to cast his Wizard's Leap, hoping to land in a safe spot.

((Does he need any rolls for this? Fast cast, concentration, the spell roll? He easily has the spell beat))

Botching would be bad...

((To save time, I'll roll all: Concentration, fast cast and then the spell))

Concentration:

2+3

1d10+5 → [9,5] = (14)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3690724/

Fast Cast:

1d10+3 → [6,3] = (9)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3690725/

Spell casting roll:

30-10 (Fast Cast) 20
1d10+20 → [9,20] = (29)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3690728/

((Wowzers! Good rolls! Alexei at that point is still going to try and do what he was planning on before, conjruing something soft to land in. CrAn is his best chance, he'll try to make a large mound of wool for them to land in. Once he figures out where they should land. He'll tp over there if he needs to. I'll wait before I do that to see the results of his landing.))

((Dang, I knew I should have gotten on when I woke up in the middle of the night with an idea.))

I hate to backtrack, but my idea was to have Ulrich try to spont a frame for the rug to try to have it keep its shape...something like a kite or a loom, in a way? If the others think that would work, he can give it a try. Base 3, R: Touch (+1), D: Sun (+2), T: Individual, for a spell level of 10. If this constitutes "Treated and processed plant product," that adds 2 magnitudes, for a target level of 20. His CT is Sta 2 + Cr 6 + He 12 + die roll of 3 = 23, halved is 12.

His Int + Per roll is Int 2 + Per 1 + die roll of 7 = 10

If we are about to crash, he will I guess try an Athletics roll to tuck and roll or whatever. Dex 1 + Athletics 2 + (die roll of 1 and die roll of 7 = 14) = 17. As he leaps, his (potentially) last words are [color=green]"Tell Rose I love her!"