1223.2 Whatever happened to Mr. Walid?

((Was Alexei told of the limits of the wand; its range, uses per day, etc? Just wanted to know before I respond))

((Yes, Prospero would have have told him all he needed to know to be able to use it effectively.))

It has unlimited uses per day, and it has a PeAu effect (did I define the level?). The real issue, is whether or not he can use it given his finesse roll, or if he wants to try...

((Alexei is going to make a calculated risk regarding this and not resist the wind this time. If it's a 12 Finesse now, it will likely be a 12 Finesse the next few times also, just delay the inevitable))

Alexei loses the staff and winces that his weapon is gone. It wasn't his only tool of course, but so much of his magic required a weapon. He quickly finishes cutting the ropes on Mufarrj's hands and puts the knife in his hands so he can finish freeing himself.

"Nearly there? I am nearly there? You're failures to capture me before were feints? It sounds like your tests are excuses and only by resorting to vile kidnapping when the other attempts did not work." Alexei smiles, taunting the creature might deflate some of its confidence.

"But, you have my attention now spirit. What do you think you can get from me? The fact that you need me says more of your inadequacies than mine."

"We all have our inadequacies. For example, I have your staff. Or should I say your talisman. In any event, I have reunited him with his family. What have you done for him?" The Jinn smiles a cold cruel smile, "With all your vaunted powers, have you never considered that Mufarjj was there because I wished him to be there? That he needed to be there? He served you, yes, but he never stopped serving me. Of course, he never had a choice. I had his family. He even told you was much, didn't he?"

Alexei does not seem surprised, he did know that Mufarrj was under acompulsion by threat to his family. That he still stayed with Alexei spoke volumes of his character, but now the threat was implied; join me, or the family of Mufarrj shall suffer, or Mufarrj shall be turned against you.

Alexei's eyes narrowed. "Yes I knew, he told me so when you first set him on my path. And it was his honour that he would not use your treachery to lay a trap for me after. So when that ended, when you knew he would not betray me to you, you kidnapped him. But you have not answered my question, wind. What is it that you think you would have me do?"

"When the time is right, we can discuss it more in depth. I have your attention. Next time, I'll come to you instead of having you come to me, if that will put you in a better mood." The jinn vanishes in a whirlwind. Alexei's talisman falls to the ground. Alexei has an opportunity to use the wand or grab his talisman.

Oh, and the finesse ease factor was so high before because Alexei was jugging his staff and trying to cut Mufarjj's bonds. That's a lot to juggle with two hands when you clearly needed four (two for cutting bonds, one for holding the staff, and one for the wand).

Alexei keeps the wand tight in his hand but does not unleash it, there didn't seem to be much to be gained as the creature was leaving. He hurries to his staff and takes it up.

"I'll be waiting spirit! You come to me, I'll be waiting! Ye may regret your investment!" His last gesture of bravado falls somewhat flat. 'Without the wand I doubt I could do anything.' he ruminates as he turns back to Mufarrj.

"Come my friend, can you stand?" he says as he offers to help him from the chair.

((Later on I assumed that, but at the same time, Alexei feels it's better to marshal his strength and not give away what little offense he currently has against it. Time for a Might Stripper!))

The whirlwind continues to the edge of the cavern, and a rubble-filled opening is blasted open, letting sunlight appear wash into the cavern.
Mufarjj finally speaks, "I was bound not to speak in his presence. But you should know he speaks some truth about me. I was compelled to tell the Jinn all I knew of you." He hangs his head in shame.

Alexei smiles in what he hopes is a reassuring way and pats Mufarrj on the shoulder.

"My friend, you have told me plenty about the spirit as well. These are forces beyond your control, worry not. Make peace with yourself and perhaps your God, but ye not need to worry about me in that regards. Come let us leave." he says and offers a hand to help him stand. Alexei looks around to see if there's any gear; they might be walking a bit.

Outside the cave, Mufarjj sons and daughter and wife are waiting for him. The sun is hot, and they appear to be in the middle of the desert.

Alexei smiles to see the family but stays back so that they may reunite with their father, plus as a Frank in their eyes he might seem scary.

"Go to them Mufarrj. Go to your family." he urges to him as he shades his eyes and loosens his collar.

Mufarjj is with his family before Alexei can even say it. ((I'm more interested in what Alexei's planning to do.))

Alexei waits patiently, happy to see them reunited. Alexei could easily return to his Covenant, but what did Mufarrj wish to do? If they were all to come back to the Covenant they'd have to travel the rest of the way in a more mundane fashion. After giving Mufarrj his time he will address Mufarrj assuming he's introduced. From there they need to decide how they will get back...if Mufarrj is coming back.

After waiting some time for Mufarrj to reunite he gently intrudes on them.

"Hello, I am Alexei von Kroitsau." he says in French, hoping that they understand him and giving a large and friendly smile. "Your wife and family are lovely my friend, it is so good to meet them. Mufarrj? Do you know where we are? I can do things to travel easier, even instantly, but not groups of people. We should talk about what we shall do next...when the time is right of course."

Introductions to his family are made. "Trutfully, Alexei, I haven't a clue where we are. I would expect it's another test for you, to be honest."

Alexei smiles and chuckles. "I was afraid you'd say something like that. I don't know where we are exactly. But I have an idea, if only that it might make sense with this creature and me; our shared history. I was never in the Holy Lands, but my father was. He hired someone of letters to write down some of the things that happened to him, and one was the story of when he met the Frankish Wizard, William Du Soleil. Supposedly he hired my father and his mercenary band to help him, and he came out to some oasis and fought what may have been a Saracen sorceror. The wizard killed the sorceror, but was in turn killed by the sorceror's spirit servant...which may be the creature that kidnapped you. My father thought he was clever in treating with the thing in return for treasure, but that has led us to our current situation. I only wonder if it has also led us to where it all started. Let us look around for things we need to survive, but also to see if I am right."

((Looking for survival essentials; water, food, gear. Also looking for anything that might prove Alexei's theory. I am just taking a guess on this. With Alexei's limited capability for distance magic they could have a hard time.))

"Despite the color of my skin, I have not lived in this region. My boyhood home is Iberia. However, I suggest we return to the cave until the sun is less direct on us."

Going out later, Mufarjj and Alexei do find an oasis and can fetch enough water to quench everyone's thirst.

Alexei will cast spells to create light at the end of his staff and other items as necessary so they can make a more thorough examination of the cave. With the coolness it affords it will likely be an ideal shelter in the meanwhile. With Alexei's poor eyes he might need help from the family. He'll try speaking French for them and see if they can understand him, though he won't dare to cast a spell on them unless Mufarjj asks him to, he won't even volunteer to.

((Making an Awareness roll overall a -2
1d10-2 → [6,-2] = (4)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3750959/

Cr Ig for light: can manage a level 4 Spontaneous without Fatigue, should afford a Moonbeam equivalent of Sun duration))

They don't speak French. They speak Castillian (Spanish) or Arabic. There's nothing in the cave to help with extended survival. Food or anything. There is an oasis, which Alexei and Mufarjj find at night. It's small, but there is enough water there to allow everyone to survive.