1224 OOC

Indeed, it seems Talia has been the only one to take advantage of it.
And Ysebrand? I don't feel I can fairly make that call.

Funny thing is, I just summarized that thread for the wiki two days ago, and I still had to go back and see what was decided.

So, he needs (I think) a pawn a season to survive, basically. But he hasn't served as a lab assistant or anything since he helped Eilid enchant Buttercup's armor back in Summer of 1222. So, he hasn't eaten in a year and a half unless he asked someone? And I don't think he's worked out a deal with Aodhan where the Verditius pays him anything for his work in England and Europe, unless I missed it. And I think his asking price was two pawns per season of work, basically.

Aodhan will pay, but he'd need to see some work. Even if it's unsuccesful, knowing he's out there trying to make deals would be enough; he knows that magic items are expensive and only a few could buy them.

So, Aodhan makes the simple magic item and mundane duplicate in Winter, travels to Verdi in Spring to finish the Mystery and gets his first taste of Hubris. He starts heading back...likely returns in early to mid-summer?

While in Verdi, he's going to try and obtain books on Philosophaie if he can. What might be the exchange on something like that?

Right, which is why I wanted him to have a story that was basically him trying to sell Aodhan's stuff, but 1223 was lost in a vacuum. I've tried to move that story along, sell Aodhan's wares that I have of his, or find a commission. Spent the summer of 1223 doing it, should have been able to secure some vis from that. Is that reasonable?
And then he works for Talia in the Winter and secures two more pawns. And we're up to 1224.

Okay, work something out in the appropriate thread.

Actually, Tintavius arrived in February, so Winter is out as far as making enchanted items. Aodhan can work on the mundane version, then mundane and Quality version. Rereading the mystery initiation rules, however, it doesn't look like it exactly lines up, since you can leave "as the end of the season draws near".

Say, spend the last month of Winter (after Tintavius arrives) and the first month of Spring working on those, then leaving in mid-April. Orbis shows that it would take a little over a month (32.7 days) to get to Verdi. This includes cutting overland north of the Pyrenees, for 8 days. It would probably take longer if he went around Iberia and through the Straits of Hercules, I'd have to sit down and figure out how much longer.

So, figure a month there, a month back, so he'd probably get back in late June or July, likely in time for the Loch Leglean Tribunal.

Verdi probably has some pretty good Philosophae books, being the Domus Magnus (at least for now?). So, probably upwards of 5 pawns for an average book there? (I'm leaning toward doing a 1 pawn per 5 build points of book)

OK...would he get the season he'd need to enchant the item first, or would he have to borrow a lab in Verdi? He's easily got it doubled as a lesser enchanted item, which would cost 1 vim.

He'll bring 5 Ignem and 5 Mentem to trade for either a good Philosphaie book or 2 average ones like you listed.

3 seasons of travel and 1 of labwork, and he'd just barely make it back to the tribunal let's say.

2 exposure, Magic Theory
and 4 exposure Latin?

He'd also get a Hubris of 1 and Items of Quality Mystery, and still not have his lab kitted out completely. Sorry, have to go back through what Aodhan was doing, mainly wanted to incorporate the feature of his Anvil into the lab for bonuses.

He'd be able to get it all done at Insula Canaria.

Don't forget to define his Hubris (Tintavius's is Arrogance, I think).

I think I'll go with False Modesty: "No, no this was rushed work. See the detailed engravings on the blade? I could have done much better, I wanted it to have a few more embellishments, but I ran out of time."

So, I guess my question is more for the SG...when exactly is the Tribunal? Can we make it there and back again in time? Qcipher had mentioned three seasons of travel and a season there, but, from the description of the Initiation, it takes virtually no time to perform the rite. And it's certainly not three seasons of travel.

Talia is ambivalent about Tribunal, but me, I want to be involved, as a player. I don't know how the timing of this story works for Talia being at Tribunal...

I figure it would take...

Peregrine says it would take:

So, I'm not clear on this three seasons of travel you've said a couple of times. Further, if you leave end of March, and assuming we get travel there and back to be 3 months, that puts us back at the end of June, which if my calendar is right, is a month before the Tribunal...
So, don't go planning three months of travel and minimal experience... Unless of course you want to do that. :smiley:

Yeah... Talia just threw down on Aodhan. :smiley: Does Aodhan really want to do the Hermetic Shipyard, or does he have other interests?

How could you throw down on Aodhan when he has those sad puppy dog eyes? :frowning:

A Hermetic shipyard could definitely make him famous. It's not his forte, yet, but he could definitely get into it. One of his specialties could be the making of smaller items, decorations maybe, that effect the whole ship.

Talia doesn't care about puppy dog eyes. She is a Tytalus, after all.

Is Aodhan going to try and compete with Talia on this? :laughing:

He was more looking for business than to throwdown. When it looks like he's not needed...he gets sad...

Aodhan is going to be developing a bit of a complex, me thinks. Talia has already grown, and beaten, a Quaesitor at a discussion of law. She is interested in beating others at their own game. Buildin a. Hermetic Shipyard would definitely be a statement. AFAIK, Mnemnos, Favonius are the only canonical covenant that could have done anything like this.
So, while Talia appreciates the offer, she has intentions of doing this herself.
Along the way she hopes to also compete with the other Houses in some manner. She may have won several arguments with Haille, but that wasn't a Guernicus Quaesitor.
She is kind of like Marcus, but I can actually play her. I was looking forward to out-riddling Amul's Criamon at some point.

Ah...trying to out-invent Aodhan eh? Well he's kind of dense, it would likely have to be spelled out before he'd realize it. The idea of a non-Verditius trying to compete with a Verditius likely doesn't even occur to him or Tintavius. From what he just saw he's more like a car salesman that just got shot down.

Well, Talia doesn't have Aodhan in her sights as far as competition is concerned. She just wants to outdo a magus of each House...somehow.

House Bonisagus: research something, or advance knowledge beyond what they do (this one will be very hard).
House Mercere: I got nothing here...Douglas is some part of this nascent scheme.
House Guernicus: Outdo/ a Quaesitor. Haile doesn't count.
House Tremere: I've got nothing for this one...
House Bjornaer: Keep the areas surrounding Loch Ness wild, while also building a Hermetic shipyard... Marry industry, commerce and the wilds.
House Criamon: That was what I was going to cook up with Amul somehow... If he returns, I'll engage.
House Merinitae: This nominally ties into the Bjornaer goal, presuming their are fae in the forest... Is it cheating to get a three-fer here with the establishment of a Hermetic Shipyard while preserving the wildness of the place?
House Verditius: Hermetic Shipyard, but really, it's about enchanting a ship, without any of the Verditius "tricks."
House ex Miscellanea: Man, I got nothing for this House.
House Flambeau: compete and win in some Flambeau tournament, this will be very tough.
House Jerbiton: have her ships be seen as works of art... Hey that gives me an idea...

Become a vampire, but get better?

Also, I've been re-examining my statement about Summer being pretty much wasted if you go to Tribunal. As far as lab work goes, yes, figuring travel time and the length of Tribunal (probably about three weeks total, tops) would make it useless. But you can still study, and do Practice for probably close to full benefit.

I'm gonna say no. Eww, no.
I think I'll go one better. She's already beaten the Tremere. She's a Tytalus.

Okily dokily. Cool. Wonder if Talia will finally get around to studying the MT text. She's tried to study it for 5 seasons now, and has had to change her plans every single time. It's kind of funny and fun to play that something is always getting in her way...