1227.2t It's Not What You Know

Should Mons Electi be the permanent host for the septennial Tribunal?

• Yes
  • No
  • Yes; but we're gonna get ours.
  • I don't care.

0 voters

Day two of the Tribunal is opened with a little more pomp and circumstance. Celeres stands on the stage facing the seats in the coliseum and addresses the assembled magi. "My good magi, I ask your humble forgiveness for yesterday's...debacle. I was persuaded by Proctor and Valerian to push this case forward. Had I known that it was a case without honor, and didn't meet the merits of testing an actual legal question, I would never have assented to that. I stand before you as Praeco, but I have not been ratified by you. If there is another magus of a certain age that contests my position as Praeco, let them come forward." Celeres stands for a few moments, and no one comes forward.
"Very well. I am humbled to be your Praeco. It would appear that we have a new Presiding Quaesitor for the Tribunal, but he needs assistance. I would ask for volunteers for those skilled in the Code of Hermes to lend him your support during this transition." He turns to Cavillor and applauds his ascension to his post. Cavillor seems a bit nonplussed by the attention.
"Finally, we are in need of a Chief Hoplite. Valerian's actions while not against the Code were less than honorable for a knight. We require men of honor. Let those with honor come forward and be judged by their peers."

Alexei hesitates perhaps for just a moment before stepping forward and raising his staff to call attention to himself.

"Alexei von Kroitsau Flambonis ex Milites, from Mons Electi. I shall lend my efforts to keep the proceedings and the peace." he looks about the chamber only now wondering if this was perhaps a trap. 'Only the timid live quiet, uneventful lives.' he remembers one of his master's favorite sayings.

"Excellent! The Champion of the Joust has offered his service to Our Tribunal. I watched him perform last year and he is most formidable, despite his reputation. He is a man of deeds, not of words and frippery. He understands that our Tournament, which sets aside our collective vis, is not just a contest, but a chance for each magus to demonstrate the ways he can be of service to himself, his covenant, his tribunal, and ultimately the Order as a whole. I salute you, Alexei von Kroitsau."

Someone next to Celeres whispers in his ear, "Ahh, you are without a squire, are you not. Nor have you ever had one in your service." The term squire has a specific meaning to Celeres, it's an OoH Lore check of 12 for anyone to know what it means...

Jacques OOH 2 + Int 1 + 1d10=4

No luck.

((Fiona's OoH: Int 1 + Order of Hermes Lore 2 + die roll of 4 = 7.))

Fiona heartily applauds Alexei's volunteering and being accepted as the new Chief Hoplite, then looks at him curiously when the whole "squire" thing comes up. It sounds like it could be important, or a roadblock, but she doesn't yet know why.

Tranquillina: Int 3 + OoH Lore 1 + stress die 3 = too low to know about "squire".

((I might have pushed the EF on that a bit too high, the idea is that only people from his covenant would understand his use of the term. And to clarify, Alexei hasn't been voted on, yet.))

Everyone in the audience seems confused by his term squire, the person who whispered in his ear notices and moves up to the podium and whispers some more. "Ahh, I mean apprentice."

Roberto smiles.
[color=brown]I would also be honored to volunteer my services to maintain law and order.

"As would I, Rotgiers de Gerberoy of Tre, err, Flambeau." Rotgiers stands resplendent in his armor, Alexei is probably in his armor, too, as he's appeared in council chambers with it (IIRC, if he hasn't, then he is probably in something less provocative).

((I'll wait for The Fixer to comment as to whether he wants to through Isen's hat into the ring.))

((Alexei is definitelyin his armour, the half-suit of chain that is an Item of Quality, his 'squire' would be an apprentice? Yeah...gotta get me one of those some day))

Armor is good for appearances :smiley:

Roberto has a chainmail hauberk that he never wears. Don't know why he lugs it around.
His standard outfit is a studded leather hauberk with sword at side and a red cape (that need to be replaced).
Presence +1 & Leadership 3.

((Essentially, what I'm looking for, and if Fixer want's to throw his hat in the ring, he can do that.... impassioned please to be elected/selected. I'm thinking that this position will now be elected, rather than appointed, given Valerian's shenanigans. I'm thinking the term would be two Tribunals, so in this case, it would be 15 years, since it's 8 years to the next Tribunal and another 7 after that. I invite comments from the gallery on how they think it's reasonable it might play out. And we can play it as someone from Mons Electi being selected, or someone else, like the scoundrel of Rotgiers... The choices will shape the kinds of stories this might generate, and all are interesting to me...))

Impassioned please?
:laughing:
Please! Oh please!

:laughing: :laughing:

I think a term of one tribunal should suffice, and options to get reelected.

I'd like to go the impassioned pleas route myself, perhaps followed by an election (I assume it's like that anyway). For one Tribunal I think would be best also, considering the sudden need to step out of process and get a new Hoplite.

Note, this is the SG, asking the players to make these pleas in character. And also making a die roll on a relevant ability. Some abilities will have lower ease factors than others. Leadership isn't really a good one for a campaign speech...

Once the candidates have been recognized Alexei looks about the hall and other potential Hoplites before stepping forward and bowing to all.

"Salve Sodales. Together let us grow hale and strong. Words that echo down through the centuries of our Order. I firmly believe in that sentiment, believe it so much that I serve on the Milites, an order within the Order, that is by no means compulsory. In the MIlites we serve, serve the Order so that we may become hale and strong. We serve to prevent bullying that might be avoided by legal shenanigans. We serve to uphold the laws and traditions of our great Order. We serve so that our gentler sodales may continue their valuable pursuits. We serve...so that there is a future for our Order. As has been proven time and time again, our Order only remains through effort. It is not luck nor even fate that created the Order, nor is luck or fate that maintains it today. It is through effort, through those willing to serve. Those who will not go gently before fate. As a member of the Milites, I know what this service means. I have served as Hoplite already, in guarding our venerated Primus of Bonisagus. I know the spells, I posses the Arts, I have the will, and what might matter most...I am a man of honour. The first three qualities are useless without the last. Without the last you don't have a Hoplite, you have a tyrant. Choose me, to extend my service that I already perform willingly. Choose Alexei von Kroitasu Flambonis, ex Milites.

I thank you Sodales." he bows once more and steps back with the other candidates.

((We can pick what he'd use for an Ability here, they all add up to +3 [Presence or Comm each +1, Charm, Etiquette, Leadership are all equal to +2 for this]

1d10+3 → [1,3] = (4) Woot! Exploder!
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3812418/

Exploder die:
1d10 → [1] = (1) Double Woot!! I need to save some of these for the Joust!
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3812420/

2nd Exploder die:
1d10 → [1] = (1) [size=200]YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!![/size] x8 now!
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3812422/

3rd Exploder die:
1d10 → [10] = (10) "Hi, my name is Alexei, I'm here for the role of Jesus Christ."
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3812423/

So final roll is...[size=200]83[/size], I was going to spend Confidence, but I think I'll hold off.

This post originall got eaten by an internal error, but fortunatel through long experience and heartbreak I've learned to copy the post before posting. Would have lost an 83 here!))

Once the candidates have been recognized Alexei looks about the hall and other potential Hoplites before stepping forward and bowing to all.

"Salve Sodales. Together let us grow hale and strong. Words that echo down through the centuries of our Order. I firmly believe in that sentiment, believe it so much that I serve on the Milites, an order within the Order, that is by no means compulsory. In the MIlites we serve, serve the Order so that we may become hale and strong. We serve to prevent bullying that might be avoided by legal shenanigans. We serve to uphold the laws and traditions of our great Order. We serve so that our gentler sodales may continue their valuable pursuits. We serve...so that there is a future for our Order. As has been proven time and time again, our Order only remains through effort. It is not luck nor even fate that created the Order, nor is luck or fate that maintains it today. It is through effort, through those willing to serve. Those who will not go gently before fate. As a member of the Milites, I know what this service means. I have served as Hoplite already, in guarding our venerated Primus of Bonisagus. I know the spells, I posses the Arts, I have the will, and what might matter most...I am a man of honour. The first three qualities are useless without the last. Without the last you don't have a Hoplite, you have a tyrant. Choose me, to extend my service that I already perform willingly. Choose Alexei von Kroitsau Flambonis, ex Milites.

I thank you Sodales." he bows once more and steps back with the other candidates.

((We can pick what he'd use for an Ability here, they all add up to +3 [Presence or Comm each +1, Charm, Etiquette, Leadership are all equal to +2 for this]

1d10+3 → [1,3] = (4) Woot! Exploder!
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3812418/

Exploder die:
1d10 → [1] = (1) Double Woot!! I need to save some of these for the Joust!
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3812420/

2nd Exploder die:
1d10 → [1] = (1) [size=200]YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!![/size] x8 now!
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3812422/

3rd Exploder die:
1d10 → [10] = (10) "Hi, my name is Alexei, I'm here for the role of Jesus Christ."
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3812423/

So final roll is...[size=200]83[/size], I was going to spend Confidence, but I think I'll hold off.

This post originally got eaten by an internal error, but fortunately through long experience and heartbreak I've learned to copy the post before posting. Would have lost an 83 here!))

???
Leadership should be the main ability to look at. The specialization of Inspiration. That or Latin.
I will write something IC when I get the chance. A good speech :smiley:

I had a good speech and I was gonna mock the milites.
But an 83?
No way Roberto can match that. No way he would wanna try. He has been won over by this awesome speech!

Uh, rhetoric? :smiley: