1227.2t It's Not What You Know

If I am trying to win an argument maybe. This is a speech to convince others I should be in a position of leadership.
But after Alexi's incredibly awesome speech, Roberto shakes his head and says simply [color=brown]Alexi is the man to choose. I withdraw my name from consideration, thank you :slight_smile:

Mr overconfident and reckless? Mr. I need a 1 then a 10 to make this boat fly? Come'on man!!

I did do that, banking everything on that 1% chance. Surprised you remembered that one :smiley:
Jebric called me out. Roberto would try anyway. Ignore my last statement and let me try to think of something really fckng good to try and compete here...

((I will say, having taken the time to read the speech today, it's a pretty darn good speech.))
In response to Alexei's speech, everyone stands and cheers wildly. Valerian looks really pissed, like fit to be tied. Rotgiers looks confused and frankly a bit disappointed.

Alexei stands quiet and still, his heart hammering in his chest. He clenches his jaw and looks at the magi and breathes it in. The contest is not over yet though, he waits graciously for the other contestants to make their statements. As his Pater said. 'There's plenty a slip twixt the cup and the lip.' he'd be a fool to think he had won already.

Fiona stands and applauds at least as enthusiastically as everyone else, and [strike]throws her panties on stage[/strike] smiles broadly and nods when she catches his eye.

[color=brown]Sodales, what I had planned to say pales in comparrison to what my covenant mate just inspired us with. I cannot pretend to be more qualified. Instead, I would offer to assist him. Alexi has no apprentice' or "squire". This is true. But I would gladly serve alongside him as his deputy.

And the die roll...
Plus presence of +1 and charm?

Rotgiers doesn't even bother saying anything, and just goes back to sit down. Celeres stands and walks over to Alexei, "Very well, sir Knight-Magus, I believe you have won the office by acclamation. Surely not a more eloquent soul exists throughout the Land. With a solemn intonation, may your deeds ever match the words uttered by you this day. Offer me your sword and kneel before me." Alexei does so, sensing no untoward intentions.
You are hereby declared Chief Hoplite of the Normandy Tribunal, with all the rights and privileges thereto." Celeres touches the flat of the blade to each of Alexei's shoulders, "Stand, Alexei, and join the other officers on the stage."
((Programming note: I have another activity that will actually happen between Alexei's ascension to Chief Hoplite and the next item I'm covering below. Namely that of introducing new magi and magae to the Tribunal, which normally happens right away at Tribunal, so that they can lend their sigil to the proceedings. However, that process may actually be extended a bit, and so I want to handle the introduction of new magi to happen after the following...))

After introducing the new maga and magi to the Tribunal, Celeres moves on to other business, "My magi and magae, I have long felt that we, as a Tribunal have wandered like vagabonds in seach of, well, in search of a Grail, if you will. I would like to end that wandering here and now, and move forward with a greater purpose. For too long, the less well-to-do of covenants have had to host the Tribunal. I formally propose that we find a final home, and support that with the Tribunal's treasury. Mons Electi has created a fitting place for us, and it is truly large enough to house our activities from prying mundane eyes. I submit that we host all future septenniel Tribunal gatherings here at these facilities created by Mons Electi. And to defray the costs and expenses, that we work with them to allay the costs associated with these recurring events." Celeres' plea is impassioned, warmly delivered, and entirely reasonable in premise.

(("Psych!" HACK :smiling_imp: ))

Tranquillina stands with the rest of the Tribunal, her applause as loud as anyone's. She avoids wiping her eyes until she realizes that she is far from the only one with a few tears after Alexei's speech. She's actually (for a moment) considering becoming a Hoplite herself!

Tranquillina thinks quickly, seeing if there is an angle to Celeres's proposal or some hidden trap. Int 3 + Intrigue 2+2 + stress die 8 = 15.

Celeres proposal seemed to be without guile. Further, his reputation within the House is that he is without guile in all of his dealings, a bit of a romantic old fool. Of course, he could have been manipulated into this by someone else, but Celeres's proposal is genuinely from his heart.

((This post was hidden to me so I'm quoting it here.))
That's good enough for Tranquillina. The Tria-puppet in her salivates at the chance to have magi around frequently. Plus she and Maximianus would have set up the same deal at Nigrasaxa if Blackthorn hadn't muscled in after things got going again.

It is true that being named the physical seat of the Normandy Tribunal has implications for the Lotharingian debate. ((We already know OOC what's going to happen, but IC this should be a point of discussion maybe.))

((One could speculate that this was done as a Guernicus plot to keep Mons Electi where it was, given that they aren't sure where the Lotharingian Tribunal issue would come out. Plans within plans within plans...))

Alexei stands after the knighting, keeping his expression stoic and firm, when he rises he thumps his staff once on the floor to indicate his acceptance of the nomination while holding his right hand over his heart.

"I have long dreamt this Sodales...I pray I am worthy of this great honour. I thank thee most humbly for your trust." at Roberto's words he looks over to him with a proud smile. "And never since Arthur accepted the sword and service from Launcelot, was a knight so honoured. I accept Roberto's gracious offer and we shall together serve this Tribunal."

At Fiona's and Tranquilana's enthusiastic response he actually blushes to the roots of his beard.

If this passes a vote, Korvin would like to suggest that the Covenant Choice game still be chosen by a random drawing. Basically, ME does not have to make a new game every Tribunal.

((Put up a poll. It's up to the troupe to vote on this. Feel free to work angles, and someone from Mons Electi should probably be speaking up about this, since Celeres is basically volunteering Mons Electi to this in perpetuity. There's more to this than the cost...))

Honored guests. I would like to propose, that if Mons Electi were to host all of the future tribunals here, that the Tribunal Library be moved to a suitable location on the grounds. It would save much time in awarding prizes if this were so.

1d10=7 + com 2 + Artes Liberales 2 = 11

Fiona rises to her feet and asks to be recognized. [color=blue]"Sodales, esteemed colleagues," she says as she look around the coliseum, making eye contact with as many as she can as she speaks. [color=blue]"As a founding member of the Covenant of Mons Electi, and as the Interpres of the Covenant, it is difficult for me to show what an honour the Tribunal gives us, just by showing their desire that we show our hospitality to the Tribunal gathering for the foreseeable future. However, I hope that I am not out of line by asking if, perhaps, our esteemed Praeco is not putting the cart before the horse.

[color=blue]"There is a more pressing issue, one that has Order-wide consequences, that I fear must be addressed before we can discuss whether Mons Electi is worthy of hosting the Normandy Tribunal. And that is the question of whether to resurrect the Lotharingian Tribunal. I believe that question must be answered before we can move on to the other. So, with all due respect, I ask that we open the floor to the Lotharingian debate next."

Fiona then resumes her seat.

"Fiona, you are out of order. It is my right as Praeco to determine the agenda. However, are you saying that if there is a Lotharingian Tribunal established by next year's Grand Tribunal that Mons Electi plans to be part of that Tribunal, and thus wouldn't be a suitable spot for hosting the Normandy Tribunal's gatherings?"

[color=blue]"My apologies, Praeco. It was not my intent to dictate how you should run the Tribunal.

And that's not what I mean to say at all. But, let us imagine for a moment that the Grand Tribunal does re-create the Lotharingian Tribunal. I think it would be safe to assume that at least one or two of the Covenants that comprise Normandy would become part of that new Tribunal. Now, let us imagine that the vote to name Mons Electi is razor thin. And let us further imagine that a good number of the magi that desired that we become the permanent hosts of the Normandy Tribunal are no longer a part of our Tribunal after next year. I just fear that it might be seen as an injustice that a number of magi have reshaped Normandy's landscape and are no longer a part of our Tribunal."

Fiona looks around the gathering as she speaks, her gaze lingering just a shade longer on those who are most in favour of the new Tribunal (who, I think, are Confluensis and their vassals? Not remembering off the top of my head who else, but I think there were at least a couple of others.)

[color=blue]"I, for one, would feel more at ease if our future were determined by those who intend to remain."