1227.2t Line of Dimication

Tranquillina senses she has taken enough of Celeres's time. She respectfully expresses her gratitude to him and takes her leave.

A part of Tranquillina* knows that Celeres is right about queries being referred to Bilera, and that she should drop her personal inquiries. But her suspicion has been aroused (and, to be honest, her sense of justice), and she finds herself seeking out the other magi of Mons Electi, hoping for some advice or inside information on what to expect from the infamous Geurnicus maga. She finds little success, though: Alexei is far too busy taking conversations with Normandy magi, who are all no doubt trying to curry favor with the new Chief Hoplite or push some agenda or other. Roberto is standing nearby, seeming a bit unsure about his exact status in these political games, but not backing down from the scene. She suspects that neither of the other Flambeau would be particularly helpful, and Fiona has been nowhere to be found since the fatal bout the day before.

• ((namely, the player-of part! :laughing: ))

Finally, Tranquillina Leaps back to her sanctum to put herself together. After restoring her Parma Magica once the sun sets, she makes sure that there is no illusion upon herself, no Aura of Ennobled Presence or New Visage. I will not give this Quaesitor even one slight reason to indict me, she vows to herself. She even balks for a long moment at changing her talisman's appearance, before suddenly rolling her eyes at the wolfskin and changing it to look like formal Hermetic robes, with the Bonisagus insignia plainly visible. She frowns at her straight hair, not really long enough to put up formally, but makes a deliberate effort nonetheless.

Once she is ready (which takes a few additional long, deep breaths), she Leaps back to the Tribunal city and goes in search of an audience with Bilera.

Tranquillina's efforts to find Bilera go on for some time. No one seems to know where she is staying. Finally, she runs manages to track down Cavillor who tells her that Bilera is not staying in the Tribunal city, but returns to her sanctum every evening after the event has completed, and before the night time activities begin. He offers to send a message on Tranquillina's behalf, requesting an audience.

"Your offer is a great kindness to me," Tranquillina allows, "particularly given your pressing duties as Presiding Quaesitor. If you would, please tell her...." Tranquillina pauses briefly. She doesn't want to say something so benign that Bilera will simply ignore her message, but neither does she want to offend the Prima of a House that seems determined to ruin her covenant. "Please tell her, I regretfully report hearing that a few Tribunal guests have disapproved of the composition of the Quaesitorial panel that investigated Praxiteles's death. As one of the hosts of this Tribunal, I feel I would be shirking my duty not to be armed with the information necessary to defend against such complaints." She deliberately takes a deep breath to calm herself. "I respectfully request a moment of Prima Bilera's time to clarify the process that took place. I am ready to meet her at the Administration Building at her earliest convenience."

"We do not require the approval of others in this matter, Bilera, in her wisdom, determined that a full Tribunal was not necessary." Cavillor looks at her directly. "Mattheus was present when the full case was presented, he agreed that it was an accident based on the findings of the prosecuting Quaesitor and the team who investigated. It was a tragic accident, and nothing can be done to bring this back. I am considering suggesting a rule that spells used for attack must be mastered in some manner, so that the user can cast the spell safely."
When Tranquillina seems to insist upon seeing Bilera, "What do you really hope to gain my talking to Bilera?" He looks about and pauses a moment, closing his eyes, "In any discussion with Bilera, you will come out the loser. Oh, you may find out what it is you say you want to know, but at the end of the exchange, she will know so much more about you. Proceed at your own risk." Straitening up he says, "You said you wished to meet Bilera in the Administrative building? I can relay your request, if you really so desire it. He looks at Tranquillina with a look hoping she decides not to follow through.

((Folk Ken roll, to try to determine if Cavillor's advice is intended in Tranquillina's best interests or for his own purposes: Per 2 + Folk Ken 3 + stress die 0 (no botch) = 5.))

Tranquillina looks at Cavillor's face, fruitlessly trying to read the motivations behind his words. "Seeing as how you too were present when the full case was presented," she gambles, "perhaps you can comment on one detail for me, so I do not in fact need to bother Bilera. I am quite impressed with the level of rigor applied to the forensic analysis of the spell that occurred. Yet it would be standard procedure, if I am not mistaken, to also employ Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie upon the surviving magus to probe his intentions. Was Valerian asked, under influence of that spell, whether he intended to harm his Dimicatio opponent?"

Tranquillina doesn't get the sense that his advice is self-serving.
"He was not asked. There was deemed to have been enough evidence that asking was unnecessary."

"In troth? That surprises me - such an easy step to take. Still," Tranquillina says with forced casualness, "those of House Guernicus know best the proper procedures. Ah, but there was a Quaesitor from outside your House taking part in the investigation as well ... Verban, I believe?" - she invents the name on the spot. "Gruff fellow, of House Bjornaer? I am terrible with names...." ((Big old Guile roll needed here: Pre 2 + Guile 3 + stress die 8 = 13.))

"The evidence was such that we had little reason to question Valerian. And then there is the fact that a magus may not be compelled to submit to Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie. As to the Bjornaer, why do you need to know? They've come, they did their duty, the revealed their findings in an official record, which will be read at the next Tribunal. Bilera, made a judgment and no one part of the matter objected to the findings. Rataxes, the Verditius Quaesitor is much more approachable, however."

"Very well, I appreciate your time," Tranquillina finishes.

((I wonder if there's any more mileage to be gotten from this thread. I mean, a meeting between Tranquillina and Bilera would be great theater! But it's doubtful that any more information would be revealed about the investigation. (possibly about Valerian's new assignment, if Bilera were forthcoming - which seems unlikely) And meeting up with the Bjornaer Quaesitor, even if that were to happen, wouldn't be with any particular goal in mind at this point - just for the sake of playing a scene.))

Is Tranquillina watching the final event of the Dimicatio? Marcus is in it.

I've totally lost track of time and schedule in this thread, but assuming she's able, then sure thing.

((Nothing I'm seeing suggests a long period of time, of more than a day...))

"Well, Tranquillina, you do get around," says a female voice who sits down next to her to enjoy the event. "Do you think Marcus will repeat as Dimicatio champion?" Bilera asks, but with a tone of voice that suggests she's not really interested in the answer to the question.

Tranquillina had been stifling a fatigued yawn during the interminable buildup to the Dimicatio final, so her mild startle at Bilera's voice turns into an odd squeak. "Ah, um, Prima Bilera. Please join me. If you like." In her addled state, she thinks that the elder maga was referring to her sexual exploits, and wonders whether somehow Bilera has confused her with Fiona. She decides to stay neutral and wait patiently for the conversation to bring clarity.

"I fear I have not been in this Tribunal long enough to know the competition," she responds to Bilera's small talk, using it as an excuse not to make eye contact. "I cannot make an educated judgment on the matter; certainly I shall not be joining that gaggle of wagering magi over there." She shudders involuntarily at the amount of visible vis being staked on the outcome of the match.

"To know the game, or to know the competitors?" Bilera asks with interest. It's an insightful question designed to clarify Tranquillina's precise meaning.

This question causes Tranquillina to turn and look at Bilera, hopefully without displaying her surprise. The unsolicited question is meant to engage her thinking, which shows that Bilera at least has respect for her thought process (whether that respect is friendly or threatening is, of course, another matter). Her social instincts now triggered, she decides to be forthcoming. "My intended meaning was that I am not familiar with the competitors here - save Marcus, about whom I know a little bit. However, the parameters of the game would be well within my capacity to apprehend, but, admittedly, I have not really taken the time to do so. Preparations for this meeting, I suppose." She looks around the crowd for a moment before giving up the search as fruitless. "For one of the bouts, Rose ex Tremere was explaining to me what was transpiring. It helped, a little bit."

Bilera chuckles a bit, but it's an insulting and condescending chuckle. "I think your mater would be disappointed." Bilera doesn't mince words and continue on, twisting the knife. "Understanding the culture of the Tribunal is important. These contests are as much a part of the culture as the rules governing vis ownership. It is House Tytalus's gift to the Tribunal, you might say. And you've lived here in this Tribunal how long now?" Bilera asks the question but her tone suggests that she knows exactly how long Tranquillina has been in the Tribunal. "And you still haven't learned this simple fact?" She chuckles a bit, much as the chuckle before. "My dear, you should be more careful with your words and actions in the future. You'll risk finding yourself in a most compromising position. Understanding the stakes of the game should be your first, and highest priority." Bilera finally looks Tranquillina, full, and direct eye contact is established, and she smiles, but it is a cold smile, "Perhaps when your mater is finished with her present assignment she can fill some gaps in your education."

Appearing to change the subject, "You weren't Extempora's apprentice by any chance, were you?" Tranquillina knows that Extempora was the Trianomae maga who uncovered a lot of what was going on with the Shadow Flambeau in Iberia. She was killed after she was discovered she sacrificed herself in an effort to preserve her apprentice who managed to evade the Shadow Flambeau and return with some vital information which led to their defeat. Bilera's question is asked in the tone of voice that suggests she already knows the answer and that the question isn't really a question, but perhaps a warning.

Tranquillina begins to seethe as the multiple disparagements strike home. She should be cautious with her response to this powerful member of an opposing House, particularly in public; but she can't refrain from biting back. "You seem a bit lacking with your information about my Hermetic lineage, sodalis. Embarrassingly so, some might say. Rather ironic even, coming in the same breath as an admonition to careful words." Her teeth grind together at the unconscious memories of her first failed apprenticeship.

"You assert that this Dimicatio is Tytalus's gift to the Tribunal. But that House gives no gifts. They expend much energy making it appear that they benefit the Order, but in the end, they care only about the exertion of power over others. Power to cling to, above all else, above even the Code. Those are the true stakes of the game." She locks eyes with Bilera, almost shivering with anger. "But I wager this is a philosophy of which you already have an intimate understanding. Prima."

"Well, I can see I am well enough informed." Turning Tranquillina's observations back onto her, twisting her words deeper into Tranquillina's oversensitive psyche.

She laughs long and loudly, as if Tranquillina has made a wonderful joke, "Well, it was the Tytalus who introduced the competition, in general to the Tribunal. It was, of course, our House that was largely responsible for enshrining it within the Tribunal's Peripheral Code." She pauses, "It is ever our Duty to find the best customs and to make them better, and sanction them with legal opinion." She watches the competition for a bit, "Marcus likes to think he's so clever, beating the Flambeau at their own competition. And while they are responsible to the competition, the Tytalus unwittingly gave Us this gift, the idea of competing for scarce resources. Tytalus think of the individual, while those outside their Houses think of the Order in general. What is best for the Order, that is is Our primary concern. That is our philosophy. Although Marcus's actions earlier in the Tribunal were something of a surprise. We won't be similarly surprised again." As she says that, her voice cracks just a bit. She was watching Marcus, who was just declared winner of the Dimicatio, but he apparently didn't cast a spell. "Yes. Yes, I think Marcus underestimates Us."

"I enjoyed our chat. Enjoy the rest of the games. We have certain arrangements to make as a result of recent events. Give my compliments to Marcus, indeed all of Mons Electi." She smiles warmly and then is gone before Tranquillina can respond.

[strike]FAST CAST PILUM OF FIRE -[/strike] :wink:

Tranquillina opens her mouth again to retort, but to no avail - Bilera is nowhere to be seen. She shuts her eyes, trying to think; the clamor of the Dimicatio audience is too much. She angrily bespells her own ears to swell internally, stopping them up against noise from outside her own head. ((MuCo base 2, at worst Part +1, Concentration +1 = level 4; she can spont that non-fatiguingly.)) The encounter with Bilera was maddening: the slippery maga could switch instantly between the illusion of amiability and the reality of scorn, disorienting Tranquillina tremendously. She tries to breathe deeply, tries to slow her beating heart and calm her thoughts; but the voices inside her cannot be silenced by a simple spell. After a fruitless minute or so, she lets the spell lapse, and the restoration of the chaotic din around her makes her wince.

Unclosing her eyes, she gazes in confusion at the Dimicatio arena: she was expecting the match to begin, but apparently it is all over. "Taigh na galla, what just happened?" she exclaims harshly to whomever might be nearby.

"She shat all over you is what just happened", comes a gravelly voice from somewhere around Tranquillina's knee, speaking Scots Gaelic. "If you'll forgive the uncouth observation."

A tiny and remarkably ugly little man wearing jester's garb flashes a sympathetic smile up at the Bonisagus. "Whatever possessed you to bandy words with Bitchlera anyway? She didn't get where she is by being easy to read." He switches his gaze to where the Prima disappeared to, frowning angrily, and then looks up at Tranquillina again, tapping the chair next to her. "This seat taken?"