1227.2t The Dimicatio

It's a Cr(Re)Te spell. It was not a finesse based attack. Had it not bypassed resistance due to a "botch" the boulders would have bounced off of Praxiteles. That information is disclosed as part of the investigation to any and all who ask...

((The recent botch is something I might mention in the search for a new Hoplite, methinks.))

((The "botch" happens on the 2nd day of the Tournament, which is AFTER the Tribunal. Think about the relationships of the people involved, and everyone involved, put it up like a police investigation. :smiley:))

Jacques will move next to Marcus and whisper

"We can not let this travesty go. What can I do to help investigate this murder?"

"It would be unwise to continue this discussion here. And I am about due for the next round of competition, in any event. But quite simply, the best way to unravel a conspiracy is to find the weakest link and break it. But continuing this discussion here, at risk of being overheard and being scried upon like Whispering Winds, or something else..." Marcus leaves the last hanging in the conversation.

((Any further discussion about an investigation and how to put it all together should go into a new thread.))

Fiona, sitting in the stands near Alips, stands quickly at this..."tragic" turn of events and starts to rush down to where Praxiteles landed. She looks quite cross.

Fiona puts her hand on Alips's shoulder and says nothing, then puts her arms around her to hug her and give her what little comfort she can. [color=blue]"If there's anything I can do..." she whispers.

She is not happy about the results of the investigation, but says nothing. [strike]She merely finds it interesting that Valerian was in love with Apollodorus, and killed him when he was spurned. And now, he was in love with Praxiteles, who also was killed by Valerian after (as Fiona understands it) he was rejected.[/strike]

Roberto has Carlos spread a rumor and let it be known.
[color=brown]Valarian is on my list...
So for the sweet sixteen round...
Opponent 1d10=7
Initiative 1d10=5, plus Quickness +1 equals 6
First Attack will be to use Incantation of Paralyzation: ReCo20
Stamina +2, Rego 8, Corpus 4, Aura 5+5, equals a base of 25, minus 15 for no words or Gestures equals 9.
So...1d10=1
then ... 1d10=6
so that's a roll of 12 plus 9, total is 21. I forcelessly cast the spell without loss of fatigue or use of words or gestures.

Roberto is facing off against Magmas Flambonis. He is very quick.
Rolls of 6, 5, 5 for Initiative, Attack, and Awareness (supposed to have the fast cast defense roll, but didn't roll enough dice) Fast cast defense roll of 2

Magmas initative is 6+2 Qik +3 Fast Caster=11

Magmas casts a spell without gestures or voice...

So, spend confidence here to get initiative or try to defend the attack? I'm leaving it as blank as to how he'll respond to Roberto's spell, but the roll for awareness suggests he might not be able to figure out what the spell might be...

Crap. That's two points of Confidence down the drain.
I started with 10, you gave me 1, I spent one dueling with Markus, then two just now. Down to 8.

Catching on to my silent casting strategy, eh? I switched to Rego Corpus to throw my opponent off. Without W&G, they will probably guess CrIg based on my last match and my reputation.

BTW, the situation with Valarian is total S, we all know it but cannot prove it. However, it makes a strong case that only Mastered spells should be employed in Dimicatio.

Well, Magmas is cagey... And since he can't tell what was coming, he decides to use Wizard Leap to get away from his previous spot, at which point most of the crowd boos. However, when they don't see a "spell" coming from Roberto, the boos die down. ((The crowd wants a show, too.))

What about Magmas's spell?

Hold up. I think Magma fell far short of a fast cast speed roll. You said she rolled 2, plus Quick 2 and +3 for Fast Caster totals only 7. She will need a Finesse of 6 to successfully time a Fast Cast defense.

Hidden post above...

No, I didn't. Die +2, Quick +2, Finesse 6, confidence +3...

Hold up. I think Magma fell far short of a fast cast speed roll. You said she rolled 2, plus Quick 2 and +3 for Fast Caster totals only 7. She will need a Finesse of 6 to successfully time a Fast Cast defense.

Forum is officially fracked. That post didn't originally show up, I quoted it to make it show up and then my post didn't show up. Let's see if this one shows up... And it's a he.
And I'm not using Fast Caster Virtue in the determination of whether they can fast cast defend. Rereading the dimicatio, I didn't use it for Marcus...

Isen will cast Freeze the Flow of Life (ReAqCo 25), without words or gestures (he'll just use a shout or else to carry the spell into range, he just doesn't advertise his casting) succeeding (with a 1d10=7 + 44 +5 - 5 no gestures, -10 no words = 41 vs lvl 25).

Due to his opponent slow speed, Isen won't use his finesse to fast cast, so as to appear slower than he really is, in order to fool valerian and friends. Isen FC: 1d10=3 + Qik 2 = 05.
Per + Awareness: 1d10=6 + Per 1 + Aw(determining effect) 4 = 11. Not enough. So he'll just cast a random Unravelling lvl 10 spell, disregarding Animal and Imaginem: Pe 06 + Vi 04 + Sta 02 + Aura 5 + 1d10=1, 1d10=2 (again????) = 21/2 = 10, enough to dispell a lvl 20 spell.
And he casts a... 1d8=8 Vim unraveling, wrong form.

This is perfect for him, if he wins or is defeated, it is fine

Well, Isen successfully sandbags the event. :smiley: Of course, this can be put to great use later, if there's ever an all out attack involving all the magi of Mons Electi, chances are they will focus on Marcus, first, letting Isen escape and fall under the radar. ((Note, this can dovetail nicely with the fact that Roberto has a higher Flambeau Acclaim/Reputation than Isen and Alexei do. It could serve to reinforce certain beliefs that are probably a huge mistake. Finally, it could be representative of Isen's issue with his pater...))

Still waiting for Roberto...

OOC post, spell mechanics discussion here. Not to be a wet blanket, but:

RAW says (ArM5, page 83, left column and sidebar) that a Range: Voice spell cast without words can only affect the caster. I'm not 100% sure what Roberto's Incantation of Paralyzation spell is, but I'm guessing it's Base 5, +1 Conc, +2 Voice to make it level 20. So I don't think that spell should have worked.

It's slightly more complicated about Isen's spell: he wanted to "cast without words" (taking the appropriate penalty) but still shout nonsense so that the Voice Range would be far enough to affect his target. To me this is less clear. But we should figure it out (remembering the Golden Rule of Gaming: what we do unto others can be done unto ourselves :imp: ). Is this the way Hermetic magic works? One could argue that this being possible essentially makes Obfuscated Casting rubbish....
(And if it did work, would it require a Concentration roll to both mind-speak the spell and shout something else?)

A disembodied voice echoes...
Muhahahaha.

((I would be tempted to say that you would have to make a Concentration check against an Ease Factor at least as high as conversating, which is a 15.))

((And, as to the other, I'm thinking that if you're casting a spell but your voice is translocated, then you'd be casting with the No Voice penalties, with the corresponding Voice Range of Personal only.))

I have tried to post to this thread several times today. 404 errors were rampant this afternoon and I got frustrated. I even rolled dice twelve hours ago!

And yes, I totally screwed up on the Voice range. Slipped my mind. Total brain fart. Won't let it happen again.
Anyways, Roberto has no idea what sort of spell he is trying to counter, so I am gonna try Thwarting the Thaumaturgical Threat.
I rolled hoiurs ago and rolled really good. I was freaking ssiped that I couldn't post earlier.
Magma's Initiative was 11.
Roberto's Fast Cast speed is 12 ( die roll of 9, plus Quick +1 and Finesse 2)
So that succeeds.
For casting the spell, I succeed without even rolling a die (PeVi15; Sta +1, Pe 5, Vi 3, Aura 5, Mastery 2 (Fast Cast & Stalwart). So that's 16, minus 10 for Fast Casting equals 6, and with Stalwart he doesn't loose any fatigue from the low casting total.
And he can't botch.
So the next step is the countering strength, a SD + level + 10, which must double the level of the opposing spell.
And I had rolled a 20
1, then another 1, then a 5.
So that's 45, countering any spell if it is level 20 or lower.