1227.2t The Dimicatio

((Alright, now that the Voice issue is settled, I'm not using it as has been used and we will Retcon any previous actions. I was thinking this was the noncontroversial plan of yours, Marko. So, I simply followed suit.))
To determine the spell level of Magmas spell, you need Perception +Awareness check vs a 10, to,determine the form of the effect. This spell is obfuscated, not cast silently or without gestures. Roberto can choose a different, more appropriate counter spell.
Magmas and Carmine are siblings...

Oh, and that's a big hint, that this spell coming at Roberto is more than 20th level...

He didn't want to do a strong impression anyway, hoping to use the event to give Valerian and co the impression that he was ineffectual. This comes a little sooner than expected, but it is fine for him anyway.
Curious, anyway, since this may prove useful later: since (If I understand correctly) Isen got the init, how did his opponent escape his spell? Did he guess what it was?

The Mute flaw says, IIRC, that, although you have to take the full penalty for no words, you can still make sounds, which allow you to use voice range. So, IMO, a magus can just shout "AH!" to carry his spells. I may be wrong, but, still IIRC, there is no mention of them having to make any kind of concentration check to make that sound while casting.

Obsfucated casting is still quite usefull, since it means the opponent you don't have to take the -10 penalty to casting silently, which severely impedes Penetration.

Was it settled? I think the shout option works fine, no need to retcon or anything. I think my post commenting on it got swallowed.

Very well, if you guys want that option, I'm fine with it, just means I can do it with NPC, too. I personally think you have to have some presence of mind, i.e. concentration, to be able to shout something after you've done the mental gymnastics necessary to launch a spell quietly, but I have no truck treating silent casting as a poor mans obfuscation.

Still waiting for Roberto's response to the spell coming at him in excess of 20th level...

I already responded [url]https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/1227-2t-the-dimicatio/7423/1].
If the spell is level 22.5 or lower, it is canceled. If higher, then I am screwed.

I was giving you the opportunity to decide to do something else, because the spell is 25th level.

Then I spend two points of Confidence on the countering roll. So 51 divided in half is 25.5 :mrgreen:

Very well. On to round two where the prize values escalate!

Roberto used Pilium of Fire, again without words or gestures.
Initiative roll is 1d10=7
plus Quick +1 and Quick Casting +2, for a total of 10
If the opponent scores IN that high, I will spend confidence.
Casting Total before rolling is 33, minus 15 equals 18, so I roll a die...
1d10=9

I have spent waaaay too much confidence on this contest...

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3819311/
Relevent Die Rolls
Intiative is a botch!
Magmas shoots early, before the judge calls for the start and is disqualified. Roberto advances to the final four, due to Valerian's earlier disqualification. Which is lucky for Roberto, as it was a variant of Ball of Abysmal Flame with a terram requisite.

The next round is going to be tough. Roberto is facing off against Anemone of Flambeau. You can do an OoH Lore check to know something about her... She isn't native to the Tribunal.

Int +2, Order of Hermes Lore 2 (Flambeau), and a die roll of 6. So that is a 10 (or 11 if he is of Flambeau)

Anemone is a Flambeau maga from the Theban Tribunal. She has a distinctive combat style blending three schools of Flambeau. She blends Apromor, Sebastian and Vilano, but he isn't aware of her particular focus from the school of Sebastian.

Go ahead and roll for intiative, attack spell, defensive spell, fast cast quickness spell as well as the awareness check, just in case.

Of those three, Roberto considers only the first one valid, and one of the deadliest.
I will roll in a few minutes, gotta see to a small matter :slight_smile:

IN = 1d10=7, plus Quick +1 & Quick Casting +2 equals 10
Atk (PoF w/o/ W&G) = 1d10=9, plus 33 minus 15 equals 27
Awareness for Defense = 1d10=5, plus Per +0 & Awareness 1 equals 6
Blah
Fast Cast Speed = 1d10=6, plus Quick +1 & Finesse 2 = 8
blech...
Def (Wizard's Leap) = 1d10=2, plus Aura 10, Sta +2, Rego 8, Corpus 4, Mastery 3 FC penalty -10, equals 19

Doesn't 7 + 1 + 2 usually equal 10? :smiley:

Yes, I subtotaled and forgot :blush:

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3819447/

Relevant stats: Quickness +3, Fast Caster, Finesse 6+2, Awareness 3+1 (Specialty of determining effect), Perception of 2
All the contestants in the Final four share the same attribute; all are Self-Confident. And all but Roberto are Fast Casters.

Intiative Roll of 5; Total of (5+3+3+3+3, two confidence points burned)=17
Attack spell roll of 9; It is Obfucscated, too, but Roberto's fast cast speed is too low, even with confidence.
Defensive spell roll of 2; if necessary
Fastcasting roll of 4; Total of (4+6+2+3) 15; unnecessary
Awareness roll of 3; 2+4 vs an EF of 15-4=11; too low, but also unnecessary.

Anemone alights across from Roberto on the Dimicatio field, and he hears her giggle like a school girl.

She is fast, very fast, in fact Roberto is caught by suprirse buy the Jupiter's Resounding blow that he hears above his head and feels bounce off his Parma Magica. The judges confer for a moment, and declare the match to Anemone. She giggles and floats off the field.

Roberto earns three confidence points from the competition.

Third place....
that sucks :frowning:
oh well

To be fair, Roberto was in over his head in this competition. If I had to write a narrative for the previous Dimicatio, Marcus entered as a relative unknown in 1222. In this Tribunal he hasn't yet had to use his secret weapon...
Roberto does score 6 points for Mons Electi, so it's not for naught. :smiley: Keep in mind that Marcus is independent of Mons Electi, and scores points for his own Tribunal. IF he had progressed to the finals, he would have achieved 12 points, if he failed, and 23 points if he managed to defeat Marcus. Marcus, until he confronts Anemone has yet to unleash his secret weapon. He manages to get to the finals without relying on his hidden weapon for winning. He does win, for his own cabal (as in group designed to disrupt the Tourney).

Pending Alexei's finish in the Joust, you've scored 6 points for Mons Electi, so it's not insignificant. Last time Mons Electi won the Tribunal Tournament, because Alexei won the Joust and Marcus conspired with them to fix the Scavenger Hunt. So, the points are not insignificant... Which is why I awarded 3 confidence points.

Roberto steps out of the fourth wall to speak directly to the SG

[color=brown]I was not over my head. The contest was rigged or something. I didn't get a good night's sleep and breakfast gave me awful gas. I was not at peak form or I would have easilly won. The noise from the party last night kept me up. I drank too much.
Next time Gadget, next time...