1227.2t The Dimicatio

The fourth wall proceeds to bash Roberto about the head...

Yeah, you were. You needed greater finesse... Or more quickness. Or more defensive spells. I've planned characters around this competition, from the Flambeau side, where you have to have won a certain number of Certamen competitions to this Normandy event. I could have planted Rotgiers here in this competition, as he is in The Lion and the Lily, which I have left virtually untouched for his prominent scores in the 7 years since I last used him, and he would have done exceedingly well. When you rely on dice and luck, eventually it runs out. You can't plan for luck. You can hope for it. In any event, Roberto added 5 points to the final Mons Electi total over the previous year, since in 1221, they earned 1 point from Korvin's participation. This year, they earn 6. Considering that they can't, with honor, place well or be competitive in Falconball, is not at all insignificant.

Anemone proceeds to box Roberto around the ears something awful...

That evening (the same evening as Praxiteles's death), Fiona pays a call on Alips, wearing a normal dress and bearing a "small" pot of soup – enough to last the new widow two or three days. She doesn't bother to stop and listen for sounds of activity, but simply knocks firmly on her door.

"Whoever you are, I'm not receiving visitors." . The voice on the other side cries out hoarsely. And if it's you Mattheus, I'm not in the mood for an I told you so."

[color=blue]"Alips, it's me. Fiona. I brought you some soup."

Alips opens the door, her eyes are bloodshot and stains of tears are down her face. "Fiona, I'm not looking for any company right now."

[color=blue]"I didn't think you would be. But I wasn't sure if you'd be taking care of yourself, so I brought you a couple days' worth of soup so you don't forget to eat." Fiona hands her the small kettle, a wooden bowl, and a couple of spoons.

[color=blue]"But if you do decide you want someone to talk to, or yell at, or pummel, or whatever...let me know. I'm fairly easy to find."

She then returns to her cottage and lays down, unable to sleep as her mind tries to put herself in Alips's place, but somehow not up to the task.

Between sobs, "Fiona, don't go. My life is turned upside down. Besides having a husband to bury, I also have a lack of standing at Laurus Argenti. Hermetically speaking, I have nothing left. I am solely dependent upon the kindness of others now. Oh that sounds dreadful, my husband dead, and I talk about myself. The poor old fool." And she breaks into another round of tears.

Fiona reaches over and places a hand gently on Alips's shoulder, extending her parma over her. [color=blue]"May I come in?" she asks. Assuming Alips says yes, Fiona will wrap her up in a long sisterly hug and say nothing for a couple of minutes, just letting her friend cry herself out and trying not to cry herself (and not succeeding).

Once the crying subsides (for now), Fiona invites her to sit down next to her.

[color=blue]"Will they not allow you to stay at Laurus Argenti?"

((What does Fiona know of Alips's talents and abilities? Aside from the carnal, and from her being apparently a good businesswoman.))

Alips waves Fiona into her room. "I'm sure you can understand the difference between staying at a covenant as the wife of a magus and as one of the covenfolk."

[color=blue]"True. But surely they can appreciate your sharp business acumen...at least, if they've been paying attention the past however many years. I know I've noticed how shrewd you can be, and they'd be fools if they haven't."

Fiona finds a place to sit down, then looks down at her hands for a couple of minutes as she thinks about how good Alips and Praxiteles were for each other, what a good team they made, and tears up again.

[color=blue]"If they don't want you to stay there, or if you'd rather not...and if you think you might be better off here, I can talk to Tranquillina, our Vilicus, and tell her what a boon you'd be. We don't have a Verditius anymore, but we do have a couple of craftsmen who could use your help, and we're always looking for buyers for our wines, wool, what have you."

"You don't really understand, Fiona. I don't behave at Laurus Argenti the way I have here. There I am prim and proper, and the dutiful wife. IT is when we left Laurus Argenti that we, but mainly I, let ourselves go. So, I couldn't come here, it would be too difficult. Men would think they have certain privileges with me if I left here. I don't have that problem as a visitor. I don't think I would fit in well here."

[color=blue]"I see," Fiona says.

[color=blue]"So, you're not sure if you'd be allowed to stay at Laurus Argenti, and you don't want to move where you're known because you're afraid you'd be expected to behave in a certain manner. It sounds like you expect to pick up roots and settle down again someplace you've never been before, somewhere you've never even heard of."

"Do you have some place in mind?"

[color=blue]"You can probably tell that I'm from Loch Leglean. I don't know if you'd be happy at Insula Canaria, where I used to live, it's about as remote a covenant as you're going to find. But there is a Mercere House in Edinburgh, which is a good-sized city. Nothing as grand as Paris or London, but it's got several thousand souls, I think."

"I don't know. There's so much to do. I need to find a trustworthy Quaesitor, too."

Fiona stiffens, almost imperceptibly ((Com 2 + Guile (Hide true feelings) 3 + die roll of 5 = 10.))

[color=blue]"Why?"

((Does she even know of any trustworthy Quaesitores, considering what we learned...wow, has it been five years already? Int 1 + Order of Hermes Lore 2 + die roll of 3 = 6, or 7 if they're from the British Isles. I'm thinking no, unless you count Laetitia, who got mind-controlled and narced out Apollodorus to the Inner Council or whoever.))

"Praxiteles last will and testament. I'm sure I'll be provided for...

[color=blue]"Oh. Right. Of course you are. He seemed like he was very successful, and he loved you very much, I can't imagine him not seeing that you're well provided for."

I should probably look into making my own will one of these days, Fiona thinks, now that I have an apprentice.

[color=blue]"There used to be a Quaesitor here, Laetitia filia Iudicium, who resides at Valnastium now. Perhaps we can ask her to look into it for you?"

"Would you?" her eyes well up with tears and she burts into a new round of sobbing. She reaches for Fiona and cries a good long while. After a while, as her sobs are ending, "Can you get in touch with her right away? I know that Apollodorus has some sway with Andru. And the portal from her to Harco is free. I'll pay you back for the toll to Valnastium."

Fiona holds her close against her bosom, murmuring reassurances as she strokes her hair gently, fighting the temptation to kiss her.

[color=blue]"For you? Of course. I will leave at first light, as I would imagine by this time they're all in bed in Valnastium."

((Quick check of the Tribunal schedule shows that the next day is the last day of the Tournament, and all she'd be missing is the Joust and Falcon Ball, depending on how long this takes.))