1228-1229 OOC

Looks like Gerulf needs to say no. I've received a message from him, that he's going to be unavailable for a bit.

How much vim would there be in stores in Winter of 1228? This would be after the Aegis. Tranquillina's requirement in 1228.4 would have come up after the Aegis in 1228 would have been cast, and it's reasonable to presume that only vim was used for that ritual...

meep!!!

Roberto's request of two rooks...
What kinds of vis are available? Using it as Hermetic currency, any Art will do. But I am expecting to encounter Inferal forces, or magic spirits at the least. Vim is what he will need in a pinch. Maybe Perdo or Rego.

In another game, another Flambeau magus (Jonathan of Flambeau, an English version of Roberto :laughing: ); with Reckless Overconfidence, he grabed a huge chunk of Vis (Perdo & Vip), and sponted an ablation to destroy a malicious spirit attacking the covenant. And I rolled a zero. And so I rolled 18 botch dice. And not a single one botched whew. And so with that, and Confidence, he managed a spell to obliterate the creature. Risked everything and saved the day.
:mrgreen:

the vis worksheet is up-to-date through 1228.4 I would like to cast a better AoH. I think Jacques or Isen would be able to cast the mag12 version with the Wizards Communion.

Tranquillina is fine because it is the last season. By the worksheet, we cast AoH in the 3rd season and collect the Vim vis in the same season. So there was 22 Vim in the 4th season.

I need to update Claude and Jolanda. what was decided as the grog xp per year? 20 or 30?

We can go up to 30xp, it suggests that the covenant is seeing to a lot of training opportunities. If ability scores in certain areas appear to be going too high, I reserve the right to thwack them down. Revenue producers should probably have less XP, but I'm not sure we have any statted out grogs who fall into that category. [strike]If they get XP from a story, they need to choose, much like magi do, whether they get the XP from that, or from the other source for that season.[/strike] I'm just talking out loud, and as far as I'm concerned, it can go however the troupe decides.

I am thinking that news of the largess of Mons Electi, and how they treat their grogs and covenfolk, and that might be attractive to residents of other covenants...

Wait a sec: I thought that XP that characters earned from stories was in addition to their XP from their seasonal activities.
I mean, I know that's not what RAW says, but I thought that that's how we've done it in this saga.

I'm still a little bit foggy... Let me try to come at it another way, since it didn't come out as I intended and said something I didn't intend. Ignore what I said above (in fact, I'll cross it out).

I have a bit of a problem with 30 xp per year for grogs. It's just a lot. And it doesn't seem to make sense, they should be doing stuff, completing tasks, performing a profession, and wouldn't be gaining a lot of experience in other things. I'd like to find a better number than 30.

I will do 20 for now. They are meant to be shield grogs so they could train with the turb or not.

Fiona can take it in other forms rather than Vim, and treat with Korvin to trade it for her on the market. She's not asking for Redcap rates, it's just that he knows who to talk to to get a fair trade.

Is that anything like Shark Week? :laughing:

Tytali, like sharks to the fish school, provide a useful service and strengthen the Order as a whole by weeding out the weak.

Close, but not quite.
Based on the 3.5 Tytali currently in residence, it's more like Snark Week. :laughing:
EDIT: Excuse me. 3.500018 Tytali. I forgot Loys.

It's more like 3 1/3. :smiley:

Have you seen the way she's acted lately? Manipulating the Council into fighting her battles for her, spying on a Maga of the Order, scrying on a Maga of the Order, scheming and plotting... Cumhachd should be proud. I stand by my assessment of her Tytalousness. (Or should that be Tytalosity?)

Well, anyone can act like a Tytalus. Only a few can be a Tytalus.
The council didn't fight her battle.
The spying revealed something (I'm hoping) she wasn't expecting.
The scheming and plotting has been...ineffective.
Cumhachd weeps for the future.

I'm gonna need some help here, guys. Tranquillina is screaming in frothy rage in my head over the developments in her story thread. Now I the player am not at all displeased with how it's going - it's richness of story stemming from her character - but I can feel her anger and it's not tempered by anything else. From her perspective, Cumhachd's actions have been a series of very deliberate "fuck you"s aimed directly at Tranquillina. The taking of Loys as an apprentice made it an order of magnitude worse, and then this business of settling in to a new sanctum, with officially recognized trilobite status (cenobite, whatevs :wink: ), and trying to blame her choices on Tranquillina's actions ... well, Tranquillina is not going to like it, to put it mildly.

And here's the trouble. The reactions that are coming up from Tranquillina's character in my head are extreme: A complete moratorium on interactions with Cumhachd, for example, since anything she does serves (in her mind) as an excuse for Cumhachd to pull another "fuck you" move. More histrionics in council meetings - but I'm talking serious stuff here: Ultimatims, of the "you're either with me or against me" variety. Withdrawing from covenant interactions. Threatening to leave Mons Electi. Threatening violence to her covenant-mates. While all dramatic, they're dramatic in a way that would kill stories and make the saga worse (for me, certainly, but probably also for you others).

So here's the help I need. How can I turn this around? What are alternate ways of processing these events that is true to Tranquillina yet leads to constructive and cooperative roleplay? I mean, I could just declare "she wakes up one day and hoorah, she's accepted the situation"; and I'd rather do that than any of the other things described above; but it's still lame. How can I have my IC cake and OOC eat it too? How can we realistically get Tranquillina to start choosing actions that make the story continue to be fun? This is probably a much easier question than I give it credit for at the moment - it's just that she's making so much noise in my head that I can't see the answer.... :unamused:

Well consider that this is all good drama. I've been longing for this kind of drama. It might require Tranquillina going into exile for a bit. Or like I suggested, it might require an intervention for Tranquillina.

For an intervention, Tranquillina has to be willing to listen, and I'm not sure that she's there yet. I've likened Cumhachd's actions (to another player) to what Bill Murray's character (Bob) did in What About Bob? She is a bit more (well, tons) more self aware of who she is and what she's doing, but it fits.

And Marcus was very subte in his last words to Tranquillina, though she probably couldn't hear it in her rage. Maybe she needs a good night sleep. Keep in mind that until Korvin informs the covenant that he has granted her protected guest status, she won't know about that. So, she can only be angry about certain things.

Maybe she needs a phone a friend... In many ways, Tranquillina is now just stepping out on her own. But has she? Or she still in her pater's shadow?

You can play the (Tytalus)game rather than let the game play you. Which is something Stultus might say. That would come in the acceptance mode. She can claim Loys at any time so that should not bother her( once she realizes that). I'm sure Cumhachd apprenticed Loys so she could force Tranquillina into this action ( which is something Korvin would tell her).

IMHO, your character must have an epiphany to either act like a Tytalus or act like a Bonisagus.

I'll be out of town later today and back on Sunday. Can post a bit today though.

Phone a friend? Would she have had a close relationship with Herrit Tytali (canonical member of Nigrasaxa)?

Tranquillina needs an external perspective on what's going on in her life right now, IMO. She can't get an epiphany on her own, because she's got too much rage. Imagine someone coming into your home and making themselves completely comfortable. So perhaps, she needs to boomerang back to Nigrasaxa where she will probably get a dose of tough love, but it might be exactly what she needs.

It's actually a pretty hard question.

What Tranquillina needs to do (IMO, of course) is to get some distance. She's reacting to Cumhachd jerking her around, but she doesn't realize why Cumhachd is jerking her around. She just thinks Cumhachd is there to abuse her. Stultus' advice wouldn't be to 'play the game' because that's premature. To play the game Tranquillina would have to first see the game for what it is. She'd have to see that there's something specific Cumhachd is getting at, even if she can't yet see what it is.

Of course Cumhachd is pushing her buttons. Cumhachd is having a great deal of success pushing her buttons because she's the one who INSTALLED the buttons in the first place. The first step for Tranquillina is emotional literacy -- realizing that these ARE buttons, seeing what the labels on the buttons are, recognizing that the manipulation is (rather than a general "I'll f*** up your life for the lulz") very focused and intentional.

Stultus has been trying to have this conversation with her pretty much since he arrived, so I'm reluctant to say very much OOC, and what I am saying is probably not making very much sense, but there you have it...