1228.2 Coming Straight On For You

One evening, close to sunset, Wilhelm is stalking the deer and their runs as he likes to do when he gets the feeling he is not alone...

Wilhelm stops and looks around, listening intently for anything (or nothing) out of the ordinary.

Vision: Per 2 + Awareness (In the Forest) 4 + Keen Vision 3 + Ways of the Forest 3 + die roll of 7 = 19.

Hearing: Per 2 + Awareness (In the Forest) 4 + Sharp Ears 3 + Ways of the Forest 3 + die roll of 3 = 15.

He draws an arrow but doesn't nock it yet.

((I'm assuming that his apprentice, Patience, is back at the cabin resting/sleeping.))

Wilhelm hears shouts in German, almost as soon as he sees a branch move in a way not consistent with a deer. "She's spotted us, get her." And the forest erupts in activity as men start pouring out in every direction, except one.

[color=green]Scheiße! he thinks as he looks around. Obviously they're trying to herd him in the direction they've left open, so that way is right out.

He's going to try to zigzag in the direction of the covenant ((Int 0 + Area Lore: Bibracte (Woodlands) 3 + Way of the Woods 3 + die roll of 4 = 10 to figure out which way that is)).

He's not going to waste time putting his bow and arrow away, but won't try to shoot anyone unless he's blocking his way...getting out alive is more important.

[color=green]Scheiße! he thinks as he looks around. Obviously they're trying to herd him in the direction they've left open, so that way is right out.

He's going to try to zigzag in the direction of the covenant ((Int 0 + Area Lore: Bibracte (Woodlands) 3 + Way of the Woods 3 + die roll of 4 = 10 to figure out which way that is)).

He's not going to waste time putting his bow and arrow away, but won't try to shoot anyone unless he's blocking his way...getting out alive is more important.

Figuring out the direction is easy. Unfortunately whoever is in charge here, knows where Wilhelm would go, too. Wilhelm can spot at least two men who could possibly converge and grab her. She can take one out while running, but doing so will leave her vulnerable...

Okay, he'll try to take out the one and hope the other misses. He knows why they're there, and he can't let them take him back.

Combat rolls

What's she attacking with? Bow?

Sorry, yes, bow, since she had the bow and arrow out when she started running.

Close enough for no range penalties.
unseenservant.com/Default.asp?do=showone&id=7473.
AA of 15 + 6 damage=21. Heavy wound.

Alright. I have a problem with the defense with the bow. It's like insane. And the other guy is trying to grapple. What's reasonable, here?

((The bow gives no bonus - basically like dodging - just a superhero of a character on this roll? Juke, cut right, around the tree...?))

((Edited: oh I get what you're saying now.))

((I know the bow doesn't give a bonus...but I'm having a hard time of using the Ability score with the bow as a function of defense...))

((Bow gives a Defense modifier of +0, with the formula being Quickness + Combat Ability + Weapon Defense Modifier + Stress Die, or 1 + 11 + 0 + x = 12 + x.

4th Edition, if I remember, you used Brawl for your defense if you were using bows? Do you want to throw that out for discussion as a house rule?))

((I think a brawl or dodge is necessary when it's melee v. missles. I don't have a problem of using the missile combat ability for defense when it's missile v. missile. It represents firing arrows while also being fired upon, or something, I can live with that abstraction, and I can make some sense of it there. It's much harder to understand or make sense of when it's a mix of melee/missile. But I don't want to be unfair here, so I'll let you largely define what you think it reasonable.))

((I think Brawl defense makes more sense for defending against pretty much any attack when your wielding a bow. Which would make her Defense roll 10 instead of 21. Hopefully still good enough.))

He lands enough of a hand on Wilhelm to slow her down, but she gets away (they pushed, but he's trying to catch her, not hit/harm her, too much).
The other man is moaning in serious pain, and he does try and catch her, but he's too far wounded to catch her as she runs past.

Let's do initiatives, now...
Oh and two men pop up out of from behind trees in the same direction she's been running...

Initiative should still be 6, I think.

Still going to try to make it back to the covenant, zig-zagging and weaving between the trees if she has to.

They do seem determined, however, and she may take a second or two to draw another arrow, loosing one at anyone in her way.

If they do corner her, she's going to put her back to a tree or a briar patch or something and start shooting until she runs out of arrows (she has 23 left).

((It's possible, and I'm not sure if you've thought about it as the player, that the more people she kills/seriously injures that the more danger she puts herself in. There are a lot of voices here... Another awareness roll might give her insight on her probability of getting back to the covenant.))

((I'm thinking she may be a little panicky, and feeling like a cornered animal. Perception roll would be Per 2 + Awareness (in the forest) 4 + either Keen Vision or Sharp Hearing 3 + Ways of the Forest 3 + die roll of 2 = 14.))

((Hrm...no personality traits for her. PB! I'm disappointed.))

While she's drawing another arrow, the scene flashes through her mind. She's in serious trouble. She figures she has an exremely small chance of making it out of the forest and back to the covenant. If she stays, fights and hurts them more they'll probably hurt her and treat her rougher when they finally do capture her, which seems really likely. One or two casualties can be expected, but if it turns into a slaughter until they finally get her, which seems really likely if she decides to stand her ground...all bets are off. They know who they are looking for, and they know her sex. They said get her.