1228.2 I Know What You Did That Summer

Talia thinks for a moment, and then calls out to the crowd of magi, "I don't know how this will work, I just now I'm not capable of overcoming most magic resistance, but what if we cast a Pilum of Fire through a Wizard's Communion? Talia looks at Fiona for confirmation.

((Question before Fiona answers. Since Wizard's Communion needs to be Sun duration to be effective, due to the casting time for the ritual spells that they're normally used for (i.e. Aegis of the Hearth), does the Wizard's Communion only work on the next casting of Pilum of Fire, or does it work on all castings by the focal magus for the duration of the Wizard's Communion?))

It just affects the next spell, since it goes to the leader of the communion

Fiona thinks for a minute. [color=blue]"It should definitely get through its resistance. I know I can contribute six magnitudes to the effort. If anyone knows a version that does more damage that we can boost with a Wizard's Communion, that may be more effective."

Talia calls for anyone to combine with her into a communion, a few magi not dazed into inaction (most hedonists aren't exactly combat oriented) volunteer to help. Fiona's spell is automatically successful unless there's a botch. There are 6 participants in the communion, so check for a botch with 6-1=5 botch dice, if you roll a 0.

Die roll of 3, so not a botch. Here's hoping this works.

Talia successfully launches a Pilum of Fire, at the back of the tree, away from the vine, which manages to overcome the resistance of the Black Fir. The tree starts on fire.
"Another." A sound of something like a scream comes from the area of the Black Fir.

Wizard's Communion #2 goes off (die roll of 3), too.

Unfortunately Talia double botches her Pilum of Fire.
Check for Twilight for Fiona and add two warping points. The good news is that the tree is igniting, and while the group around Talia is discombobulated others ger firebrands going and helps light the tree further ablaze.

Let's see. Adding 2 Warping Points gives her 2(14). Whew...one more WP and she goes up a point in her Warping Score. But her Score is still a 2.

So. Sta 3 + Concentration 3 + Vim Form Bonus 2 + die roll of 2 = 10, vs. Warping Points Gained 2 + Enigmatic Wisdom 0 + Local Aura 7 + die roll of 8 = 17.

So, she enters Twilight. Um..yay?

Twilight Comprehension Roll. Int 1 + Enigmatic Wisdom 0 + die roll of 4 = 5, vs. Warping Score 2 + die roll of 2 = 4. Which means, I think, that she Comprehends her Twilight Experience.

Since her Warping Score is 2, her Base Time in Twilighth is two hours. Her Twilight Time roll is Int 1 + die roll of 4 = 5, vs. a Warping Score 2 + die roll of 2 = 4. So, her score is 1 better than her Warping Score roll, so that moves her Twilight Time to a Diameter (2 minutes).

I think I did that right.

The good news is Fiona did understand her Twilight Experience. The bad news is that she gained 10 more warping points as a result.
Since the experience has a total of 12 points, Fiona should get a relevant major virtue. I'll have to think on it. Give some thought to the Twilight scar related to a Pilum of Fire, while I do the same with the virtue.

Fiona finds herself back in her assigned quarters with everyone asleep around her. We can say Sheelagh carried her back in her diminutive form.

Got it!
Fiona smolders... :smiley:
No, her hair now tends to move and breath like fire, it dances and moves and shimmers and the color changes as her emotions change (player can decide). It doesn't stand straight up, like fire does, so don't worry about that. And the other thing, well, that will come out in time.

((That's her Twilight Scar? I can live with that. It'll take me a little while for me to remember to include it in her narrative. Stuff like, "Fiona's hair starts to agitate, whipping like it's in a stiff breeze save that it still falls around her shoulders."))

It takes a moment or two for Fiona to awaken fully, her consciousness drifting from Twilight to consciousness like an ember on the breeze. As soon as she wakes up, she (if not already dressed) will throw something on and run outside, headed toward the library as quickly as she can.

Fiona makes her way to the Library and can still see it standing in the distance. Coming back to where she saw the Black Fir and the vine engaged in their battle. She sees a few individuals who were involved in the Wizard's Communion still standing, stuck in apparent Twilight. The maga Douglas/Duncan called Talia isn't there. There is a pile of ash where the tree was. The vine has resumed its spot on the Library. A few figures can be scene on the borders of the Aegis, patrolling.

Fiona heaves a sigh of relief and wanders around for a few minutes, making her way to the library and to the tent (to see if she can find her clothes, and just in case there's anybody still there), kind of looking for Douglas/Duncan, Talia, and anyone or anything else she may recognize, like the librarian from when she was there a few years ago. ((Per 0 + Awareness 3 + die roll of 7 = 10.))

There is light coming from the tent, and as Fiona makes her way, she can hear voices. Standing outside the tent are two magi, armed, and wearing insignia of House Guernicus. One says, "This area is off limits pending an investigation." The other one ducks inside, and brings out the man who was at the tent entrance, handing out masks. "Yes, she was here." The one who said it was off limit says, Inside, now."
Inside Fiona can see Valerian and Bilera, Murion and two magi around her. The one who was called Talia is there, too.

Fiona raises a brow at the presumed Guernicus magus and his brusque manner. [color=blue]"Not me, you won't," she mutters as she enters the tent.

She stops cold when she sees Valerian, then smiles wryly. [color=blue]"I didn't know you were into this sort of thing, Valerian." she says before she moves to stand near Talia, looking curiously at the two primas.

Valerian snorts, I'm well acquainted with pleasures of the flesh, Fiona.
It looks like Valerian has more to say, but Bilera shuts him down, "Tut, tut. Valerian, I am conducting an investigation. she turns toward Talia, "Do you recognize this Maga?. Talia shakes her head. I need a verbal yes or no, for the record.
No, alright. Never saw her there.. And then it dawns on her... "You, Duncan! What have you done!?
Yes, Fiona, tell us about the events of the evening.

[color=blue]"Not from what I've heard," Fiona mutters under her breath (in Latin).

((Did Talia just accuse Fiona of being Duncan?))
Fiona looks calmly at Bilera. [color=blue]"Are you referring to the diabolist apprentice who impersonated a Redcap and infiltrated Durenmar, or the giant tree that uprooted itself and attacked the Library Tower?"

((No, Talia made an excited utterance. Probably not too many giant blooded magae of Scottish descent with red hair who were at her former covenant. No one took it as a sign that she was accusing Fiona of anything.))
"Let's start with the former." Bilera smiles sweetly. "Do you require refreshments or nourishment, it's my understanding you had a brief Twilight episode, the experience can be a bit overwhelming." Fiona needs to make some sort of counter rolls because Bilera's demeanor is very disarming, and even with her reputation, her approach is entirely open and engenders trust. Folk Ken, Guile, Intrigue. Fiona's Secretive nature will play a factor, too.