1228.2 The Alabaster Lioness

Roberto gets the sense that time is of the essence, and waiting a season or two to invent a spell probably isn't in the cards.
"What kind of magic item do you require?" ((I build my stories based on the participant, so a spell or a magic item isn't strictly needed, although the utility cannot be denied. The other thing, is that there is always something to research, and sometimes magi have to go out into the field, not being as prepared as the player or even character would like. But that's not a problem for the deadliest magus at Mons Electi... :smiling_imp: ))

Roberto, not Markus. My youngest cat is named Marcus, I am Marko, the character is Roberto.
:smiley:
No worries. I can put that off and spont it if need be.
I am getting ahead of myself. But planning and preparation are most important. But I still need specifics. This guy is hiding out in Cairo you figgure? What is your objective? Spy on him? Observe and report? Or confront? If you are setting me up as an agent of my own discretion, then I have no idea what I may need access to.
Help me come up with a plan :slight_smile:

"The specifics that we know are the target is somewhere in or near Cairo. It is being sought by agents of the fat bastard. There is a Hermetic confederate of the fat bastard, but he is my responsibility. And because of that, I don't want to know the details of your plans, so they can't be discovered. We can provide transport via the portals, if you leave within two weeks, after that, the covenant's portal to Cairo expires, and at this time we don't intend to re-establish it. Finally, we have the issue of returning, which will by ship, which is currently docked in Venice, but will make its way towards Cairo as soon as you are on board, or we've sent word that you are there. There is one piece of the puzzle that will be added to what I have provided, but only by our magus on the scene. If you are not interested, I can turn to Marcus, but he has been resistant to doing any more favors for Andru and our House." She appears to be completely above board and without guile here, if you turn her down, she will go to Marcus. "But he is knowledgeable of the Levant politics, and may be useful there, despite his prickly nature. Although going to him also activates the enemies he has made, so he has some baggage. Truly, you are the best choice. And I've told you all I can."

Screw Marcus. I already told yoy I will help you. I am just trying to figure out how best to do that.
I will need a staff. I will be bringing three of my own men with me, we will use portals and meet up with your man in either Cairo or Venice, whichever you think is best. I need two more soldiers, a steward, a scout, and two or more laborers.
I will need an Arcane Connection to a location I can safely meet with you in order to recieve further information and supplies. I am thinking of using a townhouse as a base of operations. Or even a wharehouse by the docks. I will need a casting tablet and vis to set up a low level Aegis.
Would you happen to have a flying carpet you could spare?

"Mons Electi has all the men you need and more. This covenant has vast wealth, and this is another reason we came to you, since you are a part of a covenant that has vast wealth. You aren't the only one the fat bastard crossed, but you are the one who can best respond, we believe. Andru is unwilling to release our staff, but you may have my son. I hope you realize what it is that is being offered. I can't offer you anymore beyond that. He will be your steward, or seneschal, if you prefer. The rest you'll have to pull from Mons Electi's resources. I'll let the guards for the portal know to expect you at Valnastium. Upon your arrival there, I'll have my son prepared and available within an hour of arrival at Valnastium. From there, make your way to Venice, or make your way to Cairo. Depends on how much time you think you'll need to integrate your team into an effective force. My son will retain the arcane connection to me, as well as means to destroy it, should it become necessary."
At the mention of a flying carpet, "A flying carpet? No, but the ship in Venice is capable of flying, though her captain has a fear of it, and it flies slowly. And there is an Iberian magus familiar to Mons Electi who has one, but the method he used to enchant it requires a fair amount of finesse to control. I'm sorry, Roberto, I must go, and make arrangements with my son, now." She gets up and makes ready to depart.

It is an honor to be of service sodale. I shall be at Valnastium within a week.

After she departs, Roberto sets wheels in motion. He sends Allen to fetch Junior, and Alberto to get Pedro. Conference. My chambers. One hour!
Then he turns to Carlos, who is smiling at him. She knows how to make you jump and hop after just one meeting :slight_smile:
Shut up. Simple as that. I know what this magus is guilty of and what he is capable of. Go tell the council I request a meeting tonight. I require their advice and assistance. Then head back to my sanctum within the hour. Conference.

Carlos heads off and Roberto walks to his sanctum with Cidito alongside. When unobserved by others, he walks upright and anthropormorphic. By sheer coincidence, when strangers see him, he is walking on all fours. He has to be familiar with you before he can relax and act like people maybe :slight_smile:
I will need three servants of my own. Cats are treated like gods in Egypt. One servant to carry me on a pillow, another to caary my food and water, and a third that follows us with a box of sand.
You shut up as well. And who said you were going? You have followed me around for who knows how long, and never joined one of my adventures before.
I wasn't your familiar before. And you never went to Egypt before. And I followed you around plenty, you just couln't see me while I was sleeping in the fire. And I don't see how you are gonna stop me.
:mrgreen:

Marcus shows up, unless Roberto kicks him out (he's a Protected Guest, after all).

A servant returns from having delivered Roberto's message to Tranquillina. "I truly apologize, milord Roberto," he says, "but despite calling loudly several times, and knocking on the wall near the door to her inner chambers, I could not raise a response from our lady Tranquillina."

((Not a commentary on Roberto or this thread, mind you! Tranquillina is using mind-addling magic to focus on inventing spells in the lab this season - I think it's likely she would be hard to interrupt :laughing: ))

that's okay. Your silence will be taken as acquiessence :smiley:

Need to wait for a few more members before I start.

((I'll point out, or remind Marko that Roberto is the Imperator, and has some latitude for allocating the grogs, as he sees fit. Further, other offices could be called upon to provide the necessary staff. The idea being was to skip over the wrangling for resources necessary to complete stories by shortcutting the process, so unless you really want a council meeting, it's not necessary. And part of me is thinking that a council meeting at the end of a story that affects the covenant (and they all do) will create the opportunity to summarize the story... Just food for thought, retcon as appropriate and/or desired. Of course, he would probably go to the Diocetes, who is...Tranquillina, or her deputy, Gerulf.))

((Oh, and let Tranquillina's experience be the cautionary tale (to the player, not the character) to calling a council meeting too soon. :smiley:))

It is not about resources. Roberto needs their advice and assistance. Alexi will hopefully fill in as Imperitor while I am away. Or another magus if Alexi wants to join me. And Payaso would make a cool sidekick :smiley:
In fact, the oppotunity to join in the adventure is open to anyone. And, seeing how serious this is, Roberto is willing to be humble and consult Markus as well. This is not about personal glory. It is about ridding the Order of an enemy and ridding the world of a foul Infernalist.
I am also planning on taking three queens of vis, unless the council advises me not to do that :mrgreen:

Also buying some time. I wanna write up the small conference Roberto has with his grogs, and formulate my plan and lay it out to the council. Won't be able to get to those until tonight though.

If it is your vis then you are free to take it. If it is the covenant's vis then no, you can't have it.

Jacques is the deputy Imperator, so he can fill in while you're away.
If you want all that there vis, better run it by the Aedelis, Gerulf, first (and I'm guessing last :smiley: ).

Also, side note: if Rose isn't staying at Mons Electi, then we need a new deputy Interpres for Fiona.

(All this info is on the officers list on the Bibracte wiki.)

Fiona arrives for the Meeting shortly after sundown in her Hermetic robes, magicked to fit her form for maximum effect, and takes her place at the table, setting her Talisman on the floor next to her.

Roberto holds a private conference with his entourage. In attendance are Carlos, Pedro, Johan Jr., Allen, Roberto, and Don Diego (aka Cidito the Cat).
I have been tasked with an important mission. Information was stolen from the Primus of Jerbiton. A book contating information concerning an ancient Egyptian relic. The specific of which I am uncertain of. But it is suspected that the theif is an agent of an old enemy. The Infernalist formerly of Jerbiton, the one who murdered that maga in Toledo and allied with Lord Soulis in Stonehenge. The fat one.
Carlos shakes his head. Leol...
Shhhh! Caliate! Carmine warned not to say his name, it fuels his power.
sigh :unamused:
He was the one we went after when we encounted the cannibal wild-folk and Marcello wend mad...
:imp:
Anyway, I aggreed to help investigate the matter. To that end I am headed for the Alps, then to Venice, thence by ship to Egypt. I am taking all of you with me, and requisitioning six more men from the covenant ranks. Alberto and Allen, you work the closest with the other custos. Recruit from them three experienced soldiers, ones familiar with skirmish tactics and supernatural encounters. Pedro, find two men that are stout laborers as well as stawart guardians. Carlos, find me someone crafty and good with languages. Junior, your job is to look after Cidito.
What? I'm a cat-sitter now? That is total bunk...
You will also be my advisor during the shipborne leg of our passage.
That's cool...
Wait a minute! That blows! I gave up sailing. What if there is a woman on board? The ship will sink!
If it comes to it, I will make you ride in the lifeboat toad by cable. Suck it up! This is your opportunity to explore a foreign land and visit an exotic location, to get drunk and fight in a bar in a distant fatastic location!
Oh... well if you put it that way, sure :slight_smile:

Then the council...

Robero enters the council chamber with the most noble bearing he can muster. He is freshly groomed, wearing his finest clothes (but still with that old tattered red cape). [strike]Kosp...[/strike], er, Cidito is at his side, wearing a red coat. As cute and proper as this may sound, remember he has a face like Jonah Hex. Disfigured by scars and blind in one eye (that looks beady and red).
Sodales, I have come to you for advice and assistance. As some of you may know, I was visited by Carmine of Flambeau, who has come to me for assistance. A book was stolen, containing information on some Egyptian artifact of which I know little about. But the theif is a suspected agent of a known Infernalist, an old enemy of mine known as "The Fat Bastard". I have agreed to help her, and if you believe her to be trustworthy, I woild ask of your assistance in this matter.
I would like to requisition the service of a dozen grogs. My men, plus a few that they are recruiting, and perhaps one or two more I have yet to choose. I would also request twenty-pounds silver for expenses, and I would ask ask for a loan of two-rooks of vis.
(Is Roberto owed any vis for his time thus far?)
And finally I would ask, Which of you would join me on this quest? It is for noble purpose, and will be a grand adventure to a mystical land! First I travel to Valnastium to meet with Carmine's sone, whom she has pledged to my service. This is how I know she is sincere and forthright. Mothers do not idelly chance the lives of their children. From there to Venice, and hence by magical sail to Cairo.
Not only is it a chance to rid the Order of an infernal enemy, but it is the chance at an adventure that will give you tales to regale your children and filiae! And, though Hermetic Justice is my prime motivator, a successful expedition can bring us much fortune and glory. I give you a chance to share in success.
The small pitiance I ask, this is a trivial investment. I ask for more. I ask who of you will come with me?

This is open to anyone (even Marcus). Magus, Grog, Companion, anyone who wants in on this is welcome :slight_smile:

Isen has come, of course, and sits quietly, slowly drinking some wine.

He won't talk about grogs, or wealth, or vis. There are people whose responsability lies in this, so it's up to them to judge if the demand can be met. If it can, though, and his input is asked, he'll agree. The levant is quite far, the danger may be great, so Roberto, valliant though he may be, needs all the help he can get.

Your news are alarming, and I would come with you. Yet, I have duties with this covenant. Since you've already defeated this man, I believe you can do so again, so you probably don't need the help anyway.
Now, he may have found allies. So I'll do something, with your approval. I'll give you a small chain, from which I'll take a link. And I'll give you an ember from my fireplace, in which I'll get a fire burning. And each sunrise, each sunset, I'll look at it. Should you need my help, drop the chain, and change the color of the flames to blue. I shall come.

(In short: He's got an AC to the chain, but it needs to be outside roberto's parma for him to teleport. And roberto can cast a simple MuIg spell on the fireplace: Base 1, +4 AC = lvl 05, 10 for Concentration.
This is because I'd like to participate, don't think I'll be able to, yet this gives at least the theoretical possibility, and is something Isen would do for another Flambeau fighting infernalists. Also, this means he may not be available when roberto needs him, which is great for the story and avoids problems)

"I would volunteer to go with you, but doubtless you were chosen because of your past experience, and I was not chosen, because of my baggage best left in that part of the world. I wish you luck, and if you come talk to me later, I might be able to give you some information of my own."

Roberto nods respectfully.
If there is no one that wants to join this quest, Roberto is dissapointed but understands. This is his burden, his unfinished business.
So, if there no objections, Roberto goes through the proceedures to withdraw 20 pounds of silver and 20 pawns of vis.
He sends his men off to go recruit from the turb who they think is best suited for the task.
Allen and Alberto are to recruit three crack soldiers.
Pedro is to recruit two grogs that are also fit & stout laborers.
Carlos is to recruit someone "crafty and good with languages", someone that can be a messenger, scout, and/or spy.
Roberto will keep one or two other positions in mind. Need to think...
I have an idea...