1228 Elia Ex Misc

Autumn 1229: Spell Research -

Palace of the Olives
CrHe30
R: Touch, D: Moon, T: Ind
Upon casting this spell, the maga causes an olive tree to grow to great size and shape, and form a big house with some amenities. Enough for a group of people to live in, as well as provide enough edible olives to supplement their diet. The house is 30 foot diameter and 4-5 stories tall, and comes equipped with doors, and furniture formed from wood.
(Base 3, Touch +1, Moon +3, Size +2, Complexity +2)

Conjure the Sturdy Vine
CrHe5

Grow the Bountiful Feast (MoH p. 75)
CrHe 4
R: Touch, D: Ring, T: Circle
This spell ensures that all plants within the circle grow healthily, and produce a good crop. The plants still mature normally, but when it comes time to harvest, all will produce the maximum amount of crops, of the finest quality the plant can produce.
(Base 1, +1 Touch, +2 Ring)

Lab Total: Creo 16 + Herbam 31 + MT 7 + Specialty (inventing spells) 1 + Int 5 + Familiar 11 + Aura 8 = 79

Winter 1229: Spell Research

Seven-League Stride
ReCo30

Lab Total: Rego 13 + Corpus 19 + MT 7 + Specialty (inventing spells) 1 + Int 5 + Familiar 10 + Aura 8 = 63

Palace of the olives will need more size bonuses. Conjuring the mystic tower has a size +4 with the same base size (1 cubic foot) for a smaller tower (2618 cubic paces compared to 98174.7 cubic paces)

What size would be appropriate for Size +2?

The base size for Stone, and Herbam, is one cubic pace, not foot.

Size 0 = 1 cubic pace or 27 cubic foot.
Size +1 = 10 cubic pace or 270 cubic foot
Size +2 = 100 cubic pace or 2700 cubic foot
Etc.

If your dimensions are 50 pace accross, round shape and 50 pace high, you're looking at 98175 cubic pace, or 2 650 725 cubic foot, which is size +5.

Note that a normal lab if 500 sq. ft and a size+5 lab is 1500 sq. ft by comparison to your average floor of 1963.5 sq. paces, which is 53014 sq ft. So you could fit 35 size +5 lab on a floor, of which you would have 15, assuming a large trunk and no branches, which is probably wrong.

Consider reviewing the scale?

Changed it to 10 paces by 10 paces. Would that be enough for the 5 Magi? or should I add a size to allow for more size?

Lets start with your character. What do you think her needs are? In terms of lab size and sanctum size? Do you want both on the same floor or it doesn't matter?

The Palace of Olives is NOT for a lab. It is designed to give us all a place to stay in comfort at Tribunal, instead of living in huts or tents.

when you say 10 paces by 10 paces are you talking a cubical structure or a cylinder with a 10 foot diameter? If the first you are looking at it being 10 paces by 10 paces by 1 pace?
If the later that comes to 785 cubic paces which is still a bit large. However the obvious first step would be to lower the ceiling... a typical single story structure is about 2 to two and a half paces tall, what you are describing is 30 foot diameter and 4-5 stories tall

I guess a 5 story high structure with 30 feet in diameter would be comfortable enough for our Magi at the Tribunal. It's just for a few days.

I'm also considering the empty space multiple- the mystical tower which this should resemble only has a 2.6 multiple compared to the size calculation, but wall of thorns has an 8x multiple...unless there is errata on that. On the other hand a wall of thorns has very little in the way of support sturcture.

If we're on the subject, how much size modifiers would it take to create something like Conjuring the Mystic Tower, in a way that would allow for a +3 Size Lab, Unlike Oaks and most trees, an olive tree is generally lower, but it's trunk is thicker.

I do know that Conjuring the Mystic Tower as written is not as large as it could be if a new spell was reinvented, trying to maximize the space, but I've always seen that as the spell inventor wanting a specific size, rather than designing a spell at a given magnitude to make the largest tower he could. I'm re-reading your message here though, and I don't fully understand what you mean. Are you saying the empty space within shouldn't count for the volume created, or?

My mistake, I was calculating as if the mystic tower were size +3 not size +4, it is 2618 cubic paces (assuming 1 pace=3 yard, conversions vary), where a size+4 puts a cap of 10,000 cubic paces. On the other hand wall of thorns is 80 cubic paces at size+1, which should have a limit of 10 cubic paces, suggesting that there is a multiplier for empty space (or an un corrected errata).

Honestly I suspect the mystic tower size came from confusing diameter with radius in calculating volume.
That being said the mystic tower is +4 size with the same base of 1 cubic pace for stone and plants, while the tower Elia is describing is significantly larger and she has it as size+2.

Let me put it this way. In 4th ed, Conjuring the Mystic Tower was a CrTe35 spell with the same dimensions. They just didn't create a new spell from scratch. And technically, the spell is correct. Reducing the spell by one magnitude, you would get a smaller building. The spell could be reinvented at the same level to be bigger. But to create a structure of variable dimensions and shape would probably add magnitudes to the spell. So it can be explained away by, whoever used the guideline first thought a tower of those dimensions was ideal.

Assuming 5 floors of 10' height each and a round shape, I come up to 35343 cubic foot, not including the branches. This is larger than size +3 allows with the size guidelines or a base individual of herbam. Bringing it down to 3 floors of 10' height each, you would have 21205.8 cubic foot of housing space and a rough 27% additional volume for the branches and roots of the trees, which would be size +3 (27000 cubic foot / 1000 cubic pace). Gamemaster to assess if 27% additional volume for branches and roots makes sense, and the complexity level for the proposed spell.

Keeping it to size +2 will make something way smaller than what is proposed.

Each floor would have 706.86 square foot. That's large enough for a small apartment with a bedroom, living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom, cupboard space and the stairs, for each magi, or less rooms but bigger one. This is fine, although with the 3 floors I'm suggesting, you may need to cast it twice if we each intend to have an entire floor.

@silveroak I have changed the spell to House of the Olives, does it need to be changed further? is the rest of it approved? I want to know before I add it to the roll of seasons.
At this size, it would be enough for each Magi when we visit the tribunal, and since it's gonna be Formulaic, Elia can cast it several times, so each of us has his own private house, maybe clustered together.

If it is approved, I'll take 2 Exposure XP in Creo for Autumn 1229, and 2 Exposure XP in Rego for Winter 1229. And then make an Aging Roll.

These are all fine, please remove the reference to MoH from the bountiful feast, since I am likely to double check it every time I see that, since MoH tends to be a red flag for me.

1 Like

Done.

Come Spring, Elia will ask, first the covenfolk, primarily Giovanni, about getting a specific staff commissioned for her:
A length of Cedar wood, oiled with Olive oil, and topped with a piece of Amber, shaped like the Orange fruit, and surrounded by small orange-tree flowers made out of Ivory.

Some Notes:

1. The Shape and Form file I have mentions Orange gives +5 sight, I am assuming it can mean either the color, or the fruit.
  2. I haven't seen a form/material bonus for flowers, or olives, and this might be something to pursue, but even if doesn't give a bonus, I want it to be noted. Not sure if it would help, if she manages to create a bonus, or finds someone who researched such a form/material bonus. But it would remain a nice touch.

orange, listed in mystery cults, refers specifically to the orange tree.
cedar does state cedar tree
olive may well have shape and form bonuses but your character will not know what they are without some form of experimentation, the same applies to flowers.

That's fine.