2.0 Covenant Design Thread

I rather like keeping the Healthy Feature option at 03 , because it stacks with any other similar bonus.
Numerologically , 03 is a better number than two and Hermetic Magi take note of such things.

But if the other players want the Chartered Town , they should chime in and say yeah or nay
and what they would want to swap of the above 3 choices.
Losing a Healthy Feature seems the best choice overall.

Saliva! Magister Jay_May!
Terms for the residence of our good works are sought.
Our ingratiating servitude will be reflected in easy access of your rear assemblage.

Something along those lines i guess. :slight_smile:

:laughing: like Umberto Eco!

I have read all his books!
Oh well , one anyway , and seen the movie.

About the men, that's not a great problem: Not only are we bringing an average of at least 1 experienced fighter per magus (which is fine in period IIRC), but this makes for more stories :smiley: This is awesome!

The population and wealth is a more serious concern, though. I guess it boils down to our ressources... :-/

I wanted to do such a grog with me, but restrained, thinking someone would want to do it.

So fine, I'm on it!!! :smiley:

I was just pulling numbers out of my butt on this...I haven't taken the time to dig through to see what a more reasonable/realistic number would be for the region.

Something like this: If we assume that we have thearea outlined in red here to work with, that's roughly 17 square miles. At 33.33 persons per square mile, that would give us around 550, 575 people. If 50% of those were lost in the recent wars, that still leaves us between 250 and 300 people left. More if the decimation rate was lower.

Sound more reasonable?

(if you want, I can upload the picture to the wiki, too)

I'm assuming we do....Cygna will wait and see what it is when she gets there and when we get down to brass tacks.

Tbh, I don't really see the covenant (or the plantation, for lack of a better word) being of the "chartered town" variety...feels too urban-y to me.

I was thinking that the town would be associated with the covenant , it does not have to on the doorstep as it were.
No reason we cant have both a town and the manor in the country with a vineyard.

Serrano suits an urban setting better than a forest , but has no problem living in either.
Travel to and from the town would be a source of stories and a necesssary obligation at times.
Handy for all the merchant types in the covenant and somewhere to market produce.
Save on hawking and bonding fees , warehouse costs , guild fees plus potential source for apprentices.
Need to provide guards for valuable cargo , caravans , warehouses , etc.

I don't really see a need for a "chartered town" either since we've got a valuable good, and the merchants will come to us. Granted, we might need to detail our little half-abandoned "village" a little better, and it might be easier going with a "chartered" town, which has sprung up around the visiting merchants and anybody who came for the wine and ended up staying in the area - i.e., the little vilage grew too big for its britches. That would actually mean the "chartered town" is on the verge of collapse though with all the menfolk missing.

And if we had to give up anything, I would prefer NOT giving up a Healthy though and shed the Strong Community. Perhaps there was a Strong Community, and the people still remember it, but with Jamie's listlessness the past couple of months AND the knowledge that he just invited a bunch of strong-minded Christians to come live and be in charge, it has quickly broken down and split amongst "party" religious lines already. They may wish for the old days, but no one's making a conscious effort towards bringing them back.

So thats two of you against the Chartered Town proposal , so far.

An embittered Serrano , thwarted in his ambitions , will be fertile ground for demonic influence.
Focused on Herbam , even though he makes clothes , he could easily cause major damage to grapevines.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, I'm ambivalent leaning toward no (I think my thumb is around 20°down, but I'm open to the suggestion.

Did a little poking around, and from what I can find online, it seems that the main benefits of being a chartered town is that it would have its own government (e.g. a mayor or town council) as opposed to being directly answerable to the lord in Toledo(?) and thence to the King of Castile, Alfonso VIII. If it would keep us from having to deal with mundane politics, so much the better. And apparently town size wasn't much of a factor...so we could conceivably have a Charter even if we are a winemaking village of some five or six hundred souls. Oh, and it looks like chartered towns also have a fairly permanent market. A small one, perhaps, but nonetheless.

Actually, probably less: Able-bodied men don't form 50% of the population.

So I'd say we were left with 300 people, comprised of elders, women and young children.

Oh, there could be a town nearby, sure. That'd be great. No need for it to be chartered town.

Seconded :smiley:. I'll have to look up Chartered Town, as there are maybe things I don't remember.

I like this idea a lot better. An established town nearby with a market, inn, etc., that is nearby - perhaps a dock or a road less than an hour away. We'd just be that strange, rich villa plantation down the way that they put up with because of good trade goods. (with a very small, unsuccessful, TEMPLAR waystation! No! Bad player! No giving the Storyteller character killing ideas!) :smiling_imp:

Okay, so I finally got around to cracking open my metacreator and making a file called "Cygna's Laboratory".

Went through the Lab Exploration thread, and this is what I think I have to start with, just from the description and what not. Still a couple of things I'm not sure how to do Virtue/Flaw/Whatever-wise, though.

• Highly Organized (Free Virtue)

• Regio (Free Virtue)

• Studio (Free Virtue)

• Haunted (Free Flaw)

• Inhabitants* (Free Flaw)

• Predecessor (Free Flaw)

• Bookstand of Hespera (Enchanted Item, 8 bp?)

• Inhabitants, I think, may be the best way to do the angel/demon in the basement, but I'm not sure.

I have no idea if the prison complex in the basement regio is going to result in adding to the Size (as Regio already gives a +3 to Size).

Also don't know what I should take to reflect the Astronomy/Astrology specializations, nor the Mentem/Herbam specialties. Just go through the Virtues and Flaws and throw stuff in there that has those specialties in the book?

Anything else I'm missing/overlooking/ignoring that needs remedied before I start plugging in what Cygna's going to be doing to it?

I am not sure that the Regio virtue applies.

"The interior of the lab is in a regio" While that is true, to some extent, it's no more true than anyone else. You don't navigate a regio boundary to enter from the Phoenix manor into the lab. And when you navigate to the next level with the prison complex, you don't really have access to your lab.

The Highly Organized virtue definitely does not apply, since it is lost whenever someone else uses the lab. Since Cersei was the one who organized it, you may not understand/agree with her methods of organization.

The bookstand probably needs to be Cygna broken before you can make adequate use of it, though. :laughing:

Haunted should only apply if there is a spirit or two that inhabits that lab exclusively, such as the Apprentice Lab (I don't think warders qualify, since they can roam freely). I think Inhabitants is appropriate for the grapevines. I'd say the Astrology stuff is a lesser feature. And the Inhabitants will give you a specialization on Mentem or Herbam.

Totally misposted to the wrong game!

Isn't there a "monster" flaw or something?

For the astrology and herbam specialties, just take some features, such as an astrolabe.

Yeah, the Bookstand was created such that it can only be used by Cersei's magical lineage. As there is no one who counts as that, it basically counts as an NPC character that is wandering the covenant, until someone spends some RP time working on the issue.

I had not imagined incorporating the prison regio into into the lab. As it has a Divine Aura, I assumed it wouldn't be of interest. Also, when I first came up with it, access to the prison regio was going to be spotty. I'm willing to fudge that if Cygna has some reason for wanting to incoporate it later, but at this stage, the regio isn't a part of the lab.

Remember that Cygna's lab has a bonus virtue, due to covenant build points.

I haven't thought of any specific Me/He bonus providers, because I wanted to give you some free reign on the design. Some thoughts, from scanning Covenants: Potted Plants/Specimens (really, they're the same virtue), Infested (grapevine), enchantment/magic item (if it can't be removed from the lab, then I won't charge BPs), Sentient,

I suppose the prison regio might count as a labyrinth, though I hadn't thought of it so initially. I've never really understood that flaw.

I've also been toying with the idea of allowing bonuses to Mystery-related activities, in the same way that you get bonuses to Items or Longevity Rituals. For example, a bonus to Faerie Magic would only apply when using R/T/D provided by the character virtue, and likewise for Geometry or Celestial Magic. What do you guys think?