2.3 - The First Council Meeting

Cygna raises her glass. [color=red]"Hear hear!"

[color=red]"You mention living tutors, Rabbi. What of unliving tutors? Warders such as yourself? Are there other Warders beside you who would be willing to teach the children if we had enough of them?"

[color=red]"And not a moment too soon, I must say," Cygna mutters almost under her breath.

Hiems is still very ill at ease with Sharae's abaya. Yet, as usual, this is buried under his cold facade, as he uses his nature to hide and control his emotions.

Let me be clear. I don't care about arabic texts. Nor do I care about christian texts. All I care about is books, and good ones to boot. So if your books are good? Copy them, translate them, whatever the original language, I'll approve. I don't want us to preserve Arabic knowledge and books. I want us to preserve every knowledge and books. I think you'll agree to that?
On another subject, I thank you for your warning. If you could tell me what are the particular dangers books are exposed to, maybe I could do something to help you, at least for some fragile and precious tomes.
(OOC: OOH lore 1 + Int 2 + 1d10=7 = 10. No particular information gained on Gilderoy)
I beg to differ. Our esteemed sodales is but a master, which would tell us nothing about his skill, if he hadn't just graduated from journeyman. Yet, this could be interesting anyway. Your books sounds like a tractatus on Mentem. I don't care much, but maybe one of my sodales will be interested by an illuminated version?

This is suspicious, and may cause problems.
On the one hand, I'd like to know what specific goods were we supposed to obtain from this. Maybe our host could shed some light on this matter? But, as far as I can tell (CoH 1, +1 specialty), should his attacks prove detrimental to other covenants, we could be charged with endangering our sodales. This makes negotiating a new contract all the more important, although we can't go in blindly, and need to be in a position of strength. Hum... We'd also need a good negociator, someone used to trade goods and make contracts. Is there anyone here that can do this? (Shameless plug to Abdul al-Faisal :wink:)

I second very much your proposition for additionnal labs. I'd also add something: Esteban, the muslim doctor I brought with me, is a man of great science and skill, able to use the natural properties of the world in various fashions that may help us, given enough time in a laboratory. He should very much be given a place to conduct his research.
Oh, and while I still think about it, I also think your faerie aides would be better in the Regio, as their presence and workshop will probably be better accepted here, and hidden from the larger world. Don't you think so?

o_O Okay... And I suppose it hasn't been breached yet.
Remembering in a heartbeat that Cersei and Jaime were close.
Please, pardon me for asking, but... We need to get in there. Do you know of any special defenses she might have? Or did she trust the covenant's aegis?

So far, Hiems is pretty satisfied. Not displeased, rather. His sodales interventions went in the same general direction as his, so, at least, he could get along with Cygna, and maybe Viscaria. Maybe... Maybe he'll be able to live here. Not be happy, mind you, but to do some good, and, maybe, some friends. That'd be nice.

Roll succeeds.

Cygna’s request is translated, and at some point several bowls of stew are brought up for everyone. A skilled cook has taken the overly-salty food and made it far more palatable, with the aid of a beef broth.

FATHER PIERRE

(Cygna and Hiems dislike him. Viscaria shows no interest in the matter. Jaime wants to see what the new magi do. Continue to discuss between yourselves.)

THE VINEYARD

Viscaria translates for Hiems and Mustafa. Apparently, there have never been any actual assaults on the fields, but Mustafa seems to think this is just a matter of time. Cersei Lannister, one of the magi, would select which wines were to be sent to her sanctum, probably with some kind of spontaneous ceremonial magic. There is a separate storeroom near her sanctum, from which the wines would be retrieved. The magic wine is aged at least two years in that storeroom before it is available for sale, so it is unclear how long the actual magic takes.

THE RABBI’S REQUESTS

Cygna and Hiems are both amenable to taking in refugees. Cygna doesn’t care about religion or age, so long as they are in need. Hiems thinks that a surplus of child labor would allow them all time for school. Hiems wonders about logistics and suggests we pass those questions on to Raoudha.

Abraham Warder: ”Warders do not make good tutors, my lord. We cannot even pick up a tablet, much less make corrections on it. Then, too, we are most insubstantial in much of Cijara. It is only my particular relationship to the temple that allows me to work there as I do.”

Viscaria: ”Sharae is the covenant librarian. I don’t want her concerned with mundane matters outside the library. Let us put my uncle Reyes in charge of this.

SCRIPTORIUM / LIBRARY - ARABIC SCHOLARSHIP

Jaime: "We sold much of our library to certain subjects of Muhammad an-Nasir, the Caliph, in exchange for supplies and support over the last few years. While most of the local Moslems are literate in both languages, I'm not aware of anyone left who is an able tutor. I'm rather surprised to discover Sharae is not literate in her native tongue. We should be able to find someone in Trujillo, though. I have very good contacts there. Given the Caliph's recent defeat at Las Navas de Toloso, I suspect much will be for sale in Trujillo. Many will want to leave the city and move deeper into the heart of what's left of their empire.

Sharae seems pleased with Hiems' comments.

(Stuff about the books hand-waved for now.)

SCRIPTORIUM / LIBRARY - THE LURE OF LOCKHART

Jaime snorts derisively. ”The ladies of the scriptorium are much enamored with this author. They spend their free time daydreaming about meeting the magus, Christ knows what they would do if they met him. I usually have no issue with humoring their whims, but we do not have the vis to spare right now. Indeed, we have no vis at all.....which reminds me. We should probably do something about the Aegis.”

SCRIPTORIUM / LIBRARY - IDLE FINGERS

Viscaria: ”What sort of floriegellium could a binder devise regarding the works of a magus? I agree with Sharae, a competent scriptorium staff should be much better employed than this -- no disrespect intended to the dea....to Magus Tyrion, I mean. We newcomers need help understanding the entire history of this covenant, not just one member. The library seems to have kept copies of every scrap of paper that has ever passed through here. Could we not have the scriptorium assemble some more general history of this covenant? Or perhaps collect the lab texts into appropriate folios?”

DEALING WITH DWARVES (A forthcoming title for a Lockhart book? ~g~)

Jaime: ”Ah, this question I can answer. I tell you, sometimes I wonder myself what it is I’ve spent the decades doing. Founderson’s kin and kith have a taste for human women, and they take very good care of their offspring. Though I’ve never been clear on exactly why, it seems to be a given that mortals living in Faerie must take care to not eat glamour’d food. We started trading our surplus stock for dwarf-crafted trinkets nearly as soon as we founded Phoenix. They have an exquisite mastery of the noble metals glasswork (which they call “ice-metal”), and their trinkets are much more portable as trade goods for us. At some point, Cersei and Tyrion wanted more esoteric ingredients for their experiments, at which point we started trading wine with them. The dwarves are much enamored of our wine. We are the only nearby covenant, so Founderson’s ilk are likely to cause trouble only for mundane settlements nearby, as they have quite a populace of mortals to feed.

“I would tend to this trade matter myself, but I have other concerns more pressing.”

OOC: I’ve passed Faerie Court story-handling to a bSG, and this pretty much sums up whatever backstory I had on the subject.

Viscaria rather likes the sound of “esoteric ingredients.”

Viscaria looks a little sheepish. ”Creatures tied closely to the earth react quite strongly to my Gift. I sought audience with Orbhammer, whom I believe to be my father, to learn more details about my mother, of whom I have learned not even her name. The meeting...did not go well. While Orbhammer treated me as a danger within his capacity to handle, his prison guards were terrified of me. When my effect on their morale grew more vexing to him than my own nature, he bade me journey here. I...managed to negotiate for some supplies and company on their journey.”

It is a easy Folk Ken roll (6) to see that she is not completely forthcoming on this subject.

OOC: Again, I’ve passed Faerie Court story-handling to a bSG, so Orbhammer’s reaction to all this, and any details beyond what I’ve presented here are To Be Determined By Someone Else.

SANCTUMS AND SPARE LABS

Jaime: ”Claudia should be able to help there. Salamandrus should have at least taught her enough to build a lab before his accident. This Esteban fellow can certainly have as much room as we can spare him. Perhaps somewhere outside the Regio? Moslem, you say? Can he solve our scriptorial literacy issues? What are these talents of his? Medicinal?”

Jaime: ”It’s been ages since I’ve been in her lab, as we preferred to use mine, but her sanctum was not particularly guarded, as I recall. I had assumed someone would have explored the labs by now. Who has been there and what have you found?Has anyone looked into Tyrion’s sanctum? The guest labs? Good heavens, have any of you even decided where you’ll be sleeping tonight?”

STRUCTURE AND RESTRUCTURING

So far, everybody seems to like the idea of a Great Hall or Feast Hall. Where should we put it?

Two votes for the dwarves to live and work in the Regio.

FATI’S REPORT

Chico hasn’t posted it yet.

VIS HARVESTING

No responses yet.

AMOS’S CERTAMEN CHALLENGE

No comments yet.

AEGIS ISSUES

Jaime forgot to bring this up initially, but remembered when he said that they couldn’t afford to buy Lockhart’s new book.

(anyone mind if I hold off on Cygna's discussion until we hear back from Chico?)

Cygna looks intently thoughtful as she listens. She turns to Jaime. [color=red]"I assume we have no idea what kind of magic she was using on the wine? Hopefully she left some notes in her sanctum?" Cygna has a feeling that it was probably some kind of Creo Herbam ritual, which is not her strong suit – while Creo is one of her better Techniques, her knowledge of Herbam is basically "Yep, that's a plant."

Cygna looks down at herself, then back at Abraham Warder with a bemused expression. [color=red]"Lord?". She leans forward with an intent look on her face as he speaks. She finds it fascinating that most of the Warders seem to be insubstantial in Cijara...or is it that the Warders are mostly insubstantial? But the bit about his relationship to the temple does make sense, from what she knows about shades. This place is fascinating!

[color=red]"Assuming that Father Pierre will be staying."

Cygna frowns when he mentions how the library staff daydreams about meeting Gilderoy Lockhart, but says nothing until he has finished.

[color=red]"I quite agree, Archmagus. But I confess that I am at a loss as to what we can do with no vis and no one left capable of casting the spells. I only see two options, and one is sho i[/i] [color=red]heinous as to not be an option at all. One is that we try to trade for an Aegis casting tablet that is within our abilities, and pooling any personal vis that we may have for barter. I myself brought five pawns of Mentem."

Cygna takes a deep breath. [color=red]"The other 'option' is that we bring someone from outside to cast our Aegis for us." She looks almost physically ill as she says it. [color=red]"This goes against everything my mater taught me about exposing our weakness, but if my sodales see this as the only viable option, I will go along with them."

SCRIPTORIUM / LIBRARY - IDLE FINGERS

[color=red]"I must have misunderstood Sharae. I thought she was saying that whether it was the florilegium or another project, that the scriptorium needs something to occupy their time, not that she thought the florilegium was a bad idea. Anyway," she says with a wave of her hand, [color=red]"I see no reason why they can't do both. Compose or compile an history of the Phoenix, perhaps with writings from the magi who were here when it happened, if they left any journals or some such. Perhaps florilegia of each of the magi...I'm assuming that they left writings of some kind? I'm sure if they put their minds to it, they could come up with some worthy projects to occupy their time."

Cygna looks shocked at "Founderson's kin and kith have a taste for human women," but makes no comment. She does nod in understanding at the rest of it, though.

Let's see...Int 4 + Folk Ken 3 (magi) + die roll of 10...oh, bugger. Checking for botch: roll of 6. Okay, 4+3+0=7. Still good enough, methinks.

It's Cygna's turn to look sheepish as she replies. [color=red]"After that ruckus in the library this morning, I actually got to speaking with Margeurita and completely lost track of time until I was summoned for dinner. And I believe that my maidservant has found a room for us, at least for tonight, until I can determine where I wish to place my sanctum."

Perhaps one of the buildings in the central part of Cijara can be converted, in the original village? I think if we have it more or less equidistant from the temple, mosque, and church would send a subtle message that it treats all three religions equally, and maybe this would rub off on the humiliores.

Well, we didn't discuss that much, but he did surpass my skill in philosophiae, and seemed incredibly knowledgeable in Artes Liberales. So I suppose he could help at least somewhat, although I'm not sure it could be much: he employed such advanced concepts I didn't even understood some of the things he said. Nonetheless, he assured me that, given a suitable lab, he'd be able to work wonders, including crafting a potion that could restore fatigue. Can you imagine that?

About the Aegis:
If I understand correctly, we can't even cast an aegis... This would be bad everywhere, but here, this is worse. What's the problem exactly? Do we have the vis? A lab text or a casting tablet one of us can use? Or do we simply lack enough penetration for it to be really useful? Vis, we can procure, penetration can easily be offset through Wizard's Communion. All in all, the biggest problem could be learning the spell.

(After cygna's intervention)
So we just have a high-level aegis that no one can learn, least even cast? Can't we trade a copy of it to another covenant? We should be able to obtain a copy of a lower-level aegis, plus probably some freebye.

She is not the only one.

Hiems thinks along the same ways.

Abdul Fati walks up in a burnished chainmail shirt with his right hand tucked behind him. He gives a slight nod to each of the table guests.

"Masters, mistresses." Upon resting on Jamie, he gives a much deeper, slower half-bow and his eyes actually flicker away from eye contact - "Proven magister," he states in quick Castilian whisper. "I apologize for having to bring up painful memories." Standing back into parade rest, he begins giving his report in broken Latin.

"I have been asked to report on the state of our armed forces. I can say the four guards that assisted you from the docks or the road from Castiblanco is the start of a possible militia, and widow Bashireh might give up her maid duties to become a fulltime guard if the manor staff is filled. We have no armsmen currently guarding our walls or patrolling our borders. All were drafted to the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa. I know we expected some remnants but the remaining hale ones gave their lives to give Archmaester Jamie a chance of returning. As of yet, no Warders have returned to report and we have no idea what happened after, per Jamie's account, Tyrion forcibly sent him home ((OOC: pending Amul's approval. I have not run this by him.)) right before he passed out at our doors.

"I have met with several personal guardsmen who have approached and confirmed their intent to stay. I am aware of seven, and I think I may have missed one or two. I do not know who is considered a personal bodyguard and who is here as general defense," the old guard gives a rakish teeth flashing grin before he continues. "There seems to be some language difficulties amongst us."

"Jamilah Warder has graciously had several Warders visibly standing guard at the Gates both Left and Right, but maintaining the image of armor and solid form is very taxing to the Warders - several of the Death Watch have had to take extended sabbaticals in the Left Manor due to strain from guard duty on the Right - we will soon lose our paper army defense."

"Finally, in one of the few sweeps of the walls the militia and I have made, we found a group of squatters that set up camp a little bit south of our walls and along the river. There did not seem to be any armed men in the camp, and they scattered when the troop of us marched up - the camp was empty when we arrived, but the stones still warm. However, during the last sweep, we ran across their camp again in the general area fairly close to the riverbank. As far as I can tell, and from the refuse left behind, it is twenty to twenty five people of mixed women and children with at least five men in the group."

"That is the situation of our defense. As I see it, we have four issue. First, who should be in charge of the guards. Masters, mistresses, is any one of the guardsmen you brought of previous leadership experience, or senior to accept the mantle? The reason I was left behind was because-"holding up his left hand-"I can no longer hold the shield wall, nor was I ever experienced in the bow. However, I have seen many of my students surpass my meager abilities. I was always better at making given orders work instead of making the decisions. If you have no suggestions, I'm sure we can muddle it out for ourselves. That is, after everyone else learns Castillian."

"Second, we must garner more troops for our defense. Currently, we are a castle with a dried moat and fallen drawbridge - a plunder chest with no lock, a young virgin with no brothers, a--well, you get the idea. I would like permission to write some of Mamluk brothers. Most are dead, but others secured positions much like myself before Saladin's death, Allah bless his passing. I am sure some would be willing to send a promising student or two, and may even be able to suggest a captain or two if we'd like to hire one. I will say my fellow brothers are much better than I in the martial ways - their knowledge, and the services of their students, do not come cheaply. Barring that, we could also hire some mercenaries, but I know not which ones are trustworthy, and we may spend more time guarding ourselves from our own guards than may be proper. Finally, if enough men and unique women can be gathered, I can train us a new troop, and Master Noland can outfit them. However, outfitting a new squad takes time, and then training them to a level of reliability will take, at minimum, a year and a half. And that's if only a quarter of them fail. I do not think we have the time for such an endeavor, unless we have more reinforcements from one of your previous covenants on the way."

"Third, after gathering a sufficient guard detail, we need to capture these squatters and bring them before you for justice. They are poaching on our lands, sirs. Whether it is understanding of their plight and leniency, indenturtude for their impertinence, or execution for their trespassing - if we leave them alone they will grow and others will realize our toothlessness." Fati seems to muse for a bit. "I guess we could always bring up the really old laws and just take a hand or two..."

"Finally, everyone here has lost someone in the Battle, masters, mistresses. Please, I beg you, as soon as possible, please let us put together a small pilgrimmage so we may at least go and see why no one returned. We have sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, brothers,"Fati takes a quick glance at Jamie-"and sisters. We would like to send them with our prayers to Allah and to his many names. If we cannot find their bodies, or their graves, at least we can find where they fell." By the end, the old man still stands at parade rest and has been speaking in a clear voice, but tears are running down both sides of his face and quietly plinking against his chainmail shirt as they fall from his cheeks.

Cygna remembers Fati's monologue from earlier in the day and decides that what he has to say is too important to leave to any accidental linguistic mangling. She quickly sings Thoughts Within Babble (19 + Aura 5 + die roll of 3 = 27) to grok his words.

Cygna listens attentively, her face showing a growing concern at his words. Her eyes flick over to Jaime quickly at the last part, then return to Fati.

Cygna smiles and chuckles.

Cygna purses her lips thoughtfully. Fascinating, she thinks. The Warders might only naturally visible on the Left Side but not on the right. Possibly due to the difference in magical power between the two, or possibly some side-effect of the regio? The areas for research are endless!

[color=red]"How long ago was this? Have you found any clews as to why they're here? Is it possible that they're simply refugees?" It would be quite a coincidence, Cygna thinks, to have such a large (to her, anyway) band of squatters show up at practically the same time as those who had answered Jaime's call.

Cygna, who has looked ever more concerned with every word that Fati says, looks over at Jaime. [color=red]"Archmagus, before we start discussing whether we want to pursue these options...can we? Do we have the financial resources to recruit and retain mercenaries, or to recruit, or conscript, local people for our defence? I know we're hard-pressed as far as Vis goes, I don't know if the same problem extends to money."

Cygna raises a brow at the suggestion but says nothing.

[color=red]"A noble idea, Fati. One that, I assume, you would not wish to attempt until such time as our defences have been improved to the point where we can spare enough to accompany our pilgrims through what I assume is still a war zone?"

Hiems

I think lady Cygna has already nailed most of it.
I understand that we're in a war zone, and may need to defend ourselves, but do we really need so many men-at-arms right now? In provence, most castles only have a few men-at-arms, and we would be considered as pretty well-defended (see Lords of Men for that): As far as I can count, you have about 10 able fighters to your service!
Maybe we can wait a little until those recruits of yours are trained fully. In the meantime, should we get assaulted, I am sure everyone will contribute fully to the defense, and I see no problem with allowing my shield grog to train with you and do guard duty, so long as I'm in the covenant.

Also, I heard your problem about guard duty. I don't know if you've talked to her, but I came with a young girl, named marie. She's rather shy, but she has a sharp eye, and makes an excellent sentry. In my old covenant, she used to spend most of her time doing watch duty, so she should relieve your concerns somewhat.

Sigh... I understand. Losing loved ones can be a rather... painfull experience. And we'd do anything to see them again, to hold them and cherish them.
But lady cygna is right. If you feel we can't protect this castle efficiently, how could we protect women an children across the country? We can't let them risk their lives, not now. But maybe we can send a small party, to enquire at the site. And once we are able to ensure its safety, I promise you I'll support your pilgrinage

THE VINEYARD

Jaime nods, looking worried at the thought.

STRUCTURE AND RESTRUCTURING

Viscaria beams at the idea. "Just what I was thinking! Since we all seem agreed on the basic outline, I nominate myself for this project, and suggest that we waste no more council time deliberating on the matter. I shall make arrangements to convert portions of the original village into a feast hall and secure retreat from danger, and will see what else can be done, architecturally, to bind our new community into a more cohesive group. Will anyone second my motion? Shall we vote on it?

~pause~

"That is how matters are voted on here, yes?"

THE AEGIS

Jaime: "Our best options for trade are Estancia Es-Karida, and Sader. Both are ancient covenants with strong Roman politics. They have not always agreed with Phoenix Covenant's actions, but they have long been allies in Tribunal matters. Another option might be Plateau. Though Reconquista according to the last census, since then they have adopted the remaining magi of Andalusia when Rafus destroyed it. They are young enough to need trade relations, but are unlikely to have a tablet ready for the giving. Barcelona may not even have an Aegis, as their sanctums are scattered across the city. Duresca might be willing to help, I suppose. Then, too, Marie ex Mercere mentioned that many new journeymen are seeking to establish new covenants in Iberia. I do not know where any of these might be, but these newcomers may have what we seek."

FATI'S TINY ARMY

Viscaria: "We certainly have need of more bodies working the fields, and by all accounts have homes to spare. Let us find these refugees, if so they be, and give them a home."

Jaime, seeming to nearly lose himself as he is reminded of the last time he saw his brother, struggles to collect himself: "Money has never been a problem for us, though this concern with the wine may change that in the future. I am not certain what will happen to the tribute we once gave to Trujillo now, but even still, we are amply supplied with income sources."

Hiems nods.
I guess so. You have my vote, then, lady viscaria.

I had similar thoughts, yes. I second this motion, too. But we must take care, and make sure there's no black sheep in the lot.

[color=red]"Before we vote," Cygna says as she looks around the table, [color=red]"we seem to be missing somebody. I assume Serrano was notified that we would be having a meeting, even if he did not, for whatever reason," she looks meaningfully at Amos before she continues, [color=red]"choose to break bread with us tonight? Shouldn't we wait for him to make his voice heard, even if he isn't a 'full' member?"

[color=red]"I'm sorry, but apparently 'Roman' doesn't mean what I thought it did when you used it earlier...as we can all be described as 'Roman' due to our Order's heritage. But I've never heard of this 'Reconquista' you speak of. I assume that these are factions within the Tribunal? Would you mind filling us in on the fundamentals, please?" Cygna manages to look both confused and frustrated at the same time.