2.3 - The First Council Meeting

Hiems seems almost worried, but, then, it's difficult to tell.

I don't know. I tried to speak to him, to sort things out, but, well, he was very worried about something, and unable, or unwilling, to explain what it was. I don't understand what happened or what he thought, but he seemed rather furious and didn't want do discuss quietly with me. He left me, leaving me with the impression that he wanted to storm out, but... I'm not sure I even understand how he thinks.

(OOC: Yeah, I miss him too)

"Hmm?" Amos looked up from the plate he had been pushing a turnip slice back and forth on. "I'm sorry sodales, I have been listening to the previous reports but haven't chimed in yet because... I'm sorry, I don't really have a good reason why I haven't contributed yet." Putting his fork down, the diminuitive magus turned to face what he perceived to be the firing squad of the Archmagus's glare.

"I apologize, Archmagus, as I seem to be the cause of the loss of one of votes you are working so hard to acquire. After confessing to Father Pierre and giving penance, I sat in the Church for much of the day and reviewed my misunderstanding and actions. At the time, what Serrano considered petty abuse and hot-headedness I viewed as righteous protection of covenfolk and justified anger - I now consider it foolishness and reckless behavior. In the heat of my anger I was so sure he was moving to pick up the pen and ignore my demand that he take back his interpretation of the rook fine assessed to covenfolk abuse I threw down the gauntlet, but God has shown me that I was judging on expectation and not proper observation - I have no idea now if he was moving forward for the charter or merely stepping and shifting his weight." A slight tremor entered into Amos's voice, in remembranced anger or shame is hard to tell. Paused, Amos closed his eyes for a moment, and then reached for his glass and a sip of wine.

"Either way, I acted and challenged in error. Even though my challenge was pointless - upon review of the charter we all signed as Probationary Members, awaiting review and approval by the council," at which Amos gave a polite nod to Jamie, "my intent was clear to keep him out of full power and privledge. I still believe my position and opinion was laid out - to my shame originally with abusive and insulting words, but I repeated over and over that I was stopping him from committing genocide on the Vintners." His eyes flicker up from everyone's chins and necks and Amos looks each table neighbor in the eyes, "I could be wrong. I was wrong earlier, I may be wrong now, but I gave him several opportunities to either apologize or to refute my erronous claims. He never did. It wasn't until Hiems finally dragged the truth out of Serrano that I learned my error, and only after Hiems had to practically verbally beat it out of him with multiple queries," again Amos pauses and gives a nod to Hiems. "Finally, I learned my mistake and misinterpretation. I offered apologies and was willing to make amends, but he chose to make issue and make demands that the Charter be changed to suit his opinions - his opinions that he never once made us aware of. Obviously, I took umbrage again and I tried to convince him of my point of view and how I managed to not understand his words and actions, but again he stomped off."

"I think I now why. God be praised, I was once like Serrano but am no more thanks to my pater. When anything confronts him, either physically or mentally, he leaves. He avoids all conflict and thus stays ever safe and secure in his own view and life. I'm sure in doing so has helped him and his troupe survive, since that encourages a life without any ties or connections to anyone - just lots of polite acquaintances. I used to surrender, he still walks away. After this realization, I flew over the lands to try and find him, to ask him to return. If I had found him, I would ask to stay on Probationary Status to show him my willingness to atone, but I could not find him. I thought for sure his wagons and troupe would be visible from the air and could not travel that far, but he they were not camped on the road."

Amos squared his shoulders and turned fully towards Jamie. "It was my umbrage that lost you the vote, sir. I believe Hiems had reconciled him to stay, but his obstinance to even consider or listen to any opinion but his own and my unwillingness to surrender to him-to any man again-is what finally drove him away. I apologize, Archmagus, and am willing to accept almost any punishment or loss of status and privledge you see fit, because I deserve it. Even if I disagree, as long as no one else but myself is injured, I will still stay at least until Tribunal and you have my vote at Tribunal. I would welcome the account of any contradicting viewpoints also, since I see now my perception was severely clouded by my own anger and pride."

((OOC: Int 1 and Magic Theory 3 + 1d10=7 = 11, should be good enough to be aware of the spell Bountiful Harvest)) "We may also want to check the Library if we don't find anything in her sanctum," Amos ponders. "It's fuzzy, but I seem to remember some ritual done in Spring at one of the covenants Magus Martreau took me to. It was an Herbam one, and had to do with ensuring a good harvest. No idea what it's called though, and it might not be what Mustafa was mentioning, but it might be in the library."

A combination dining hall and town center, sounds good," Amos nods. "Heck, it would probably also be the best place to put together the classes Sharae was mentioning, and some language classes for ourselves."

"That would be a lot of traveling or time, and expensive for us if we keep employing the Mercare. And it sounds like we need one fast. Is there anyone we can hire to represent our interests and do the trading for us? Or, if one of us go, who should? I think I've well demonstrated my lack of ability to communicate clearly, but I am willing if no one else is."

"Did he mention children are amongst them?" Amos asks, chuckling. "Then Molly will definitely be accompanying you, and where she goes she always drags the youngsters. I'm glad we're considering offering them homes here - Molly may try to adopt all the children to 'save' them if we did not."

"I don't mind occasionally scouting to assist in the defense," Amos chimes in. "I am uniquely suited for it, and rarely does anyone notice me. Too small for a meal. I don't really consider Molly a personal guard at all, and I know they were starting to show Brigitte more of the logistics and operations side of duty."

"I thank thee for your support, sirs," Fati rumbles. "And you are right - 10 may be enough purely for the defense of these lands from bandits and marauders after we set up patrols and guard schedules. But we have also always trained and fielded a-"with a quick sidelong glance at Jamie and a cough-"cough, excuse me, fielded a mercenary troop. Anyone who knows of us and chose to foolishly attack us would come with larger numbers than your average bandit group. Also, most castles don't have to patrol two sets of walls - it's rare, but some interesting things have tried us on the Right Side. Tyrion and Jamie quickly dispatched or negotiated with them, but it was the guardsmen that slowed them down enough for the masters to arrive."

Fati grins at the description. "Yes, I think she sought me out. I wondered what she was looking for. She speaks a very close language, master, but it's just different enough to be close to indecipherable. Does anyone else speak her tongue?"

((Amos stays silent on this topic.))

"Of course, of course," Fati agrees. "What both you and the lady say are correct, master, mistress. The safety of the people alive come first. I would not lose the horse and war for want of the nail, good sirs. I just hoped to make you aware of what lies at the center of all of our hearts, Jamie included, I believe, though I would not presume," Fati states, bowing to Jamie and obviously presuming. "And the sooner we are secure, the sooner we can enquire."

"Perhaps tomorrow morning we should gather after breakfast and check the sites en masse?" Amos suggests. "That way, if any strike a particular fancy, everyone else knows about it. And perhaps in our explorations if someone finds a suitable space everyone else will know to set that space aside. As for tonight, I'm probably in the same state. I spent much time in the Church and I can only hope that Nicholas has already secured space for his family and myself." A look of concern flashes across his face. "Umm... no one heard any childish screams of glee did they? They have a knack for getting into things they're not supposed to... I guess all children do but..." Amos sits with a worried look on his face.

((Amos stays oblivious and wrapped up in his own worries while he speaks)) "Trading for Aegis, exchange amongst the dwarves, audiences with the faerie - for a Covenant in the middle of a war zone, we also seem to have a lot of diplomatic ties with many neighbors." Amos sighs. "I know usually tasks and duties goes to he who is best suited for them - I know I usually fail spectacularly in most social situations. I have always relied more on my eyes than my mouth. Are any of us skilled in the arts of negotiation?

Amos glares at Father Pierre the entire time, and looks sullen as he listens to the discussion. "Sodales, before I make my opinion known, some history may be in order. Father Pierre and I have never seen eye to eye though we have similar backgrounds. We seem to have learned different lessons from our experiences." Amos pauses for a quick moment, and flash of sadness streaks across his face and clears. "Both of us were present and rescued from the Sack of Constantinople. That's actually how we both came under the care and tutelage of Magus Martreau. I found myself disgusted by humanity's ability to twist God's words to their own greed and wanton ego, and in the Church especially. My faith is in the Lord, but I have no faith in those that espouse it. Father Pierre, on the other hand, sees the power of God's actions in all that the Church does - he just believes it was the wrong Church influenced by the wrong being. He seeks to strengthen the Eastern Orthodox and believes the greatest way to do so, and to lead those led astry by the Pope, is to absorb as many Latins and Catholics as possible back into the Church. Strength and faith in numbers, he is." Amos scowls again. "And the bastard is very careful with his words. Note - the only one he spoke of banishing and being aggressive against is Abraham Warder - he bodes no ill will or harm to those he hopes join the flock, he just has no consideration or care about the will and opinion already present, just like those damn Crusaders. He is secure in his faith, and he believes he has enough faith for everybody to have some."

Amos shakes his head to clear the frown and his head. "So, my opnion. It sounds like he has spent most of his time wandering the Covenant lands and buildings, and little in finding out who his 'flock' will be. Mostly good Catholics, those that would actually listen, yes? Give him clear boundaries and make it clear the Warders are off-limits. And make him understand that he is here purely on sufferance, not goodwill or the 'Grace of God'. Hmmph."

Jaime glances at Hiems, inviting him to outline what he knows of Iberian politics from his pater's lessons.

After Amos's comment, he suggests, "What tasks do each of you wish to to pursue?"

Well, I do, although that won't help you. You might want to check out Gerard. A big, cheerful, bearded guy. He spend some time here and speak both languages, as far as I recall.

Well, I've alredy checked out that old, abandonned tower, and it seems fine to me. I shall probably settle in.

I'm not a professionnal. Not at all. But I usually try to keep a clear head, so that might help. I'd hate to do it, though. And maybe a mundane might be more suited to some of these? Who is in charge of trading here? He could handle the dwarves and all such things, as he must have more bargaining skills than us. And our steward could both handle mundanes relations and negociate with the faeries on our behalf. Or course, a magus should be present, if only as a representative, and probably just the first times. But as I see it, it's part of her job, after all, and she should have the skills for that (OOC: In fact, I don't know!! :laughing: But there's this merchant companion...)

Oh, just the outline. Crusading covenants, counter-crusading covenants, moorish wizards... I know there are christians attacking muslims, muslims attacking christians, christians allying with muslims against other muslims... I lack details, but I know enough to understand it's a bag of worms and a sad exemple of humanity at work.

[color=red]"That would certainly be a boon to our grape crop, but I'm not sure what it would do to make the wines magical...or at least appear magical to mundane* eyes"

[color=red]"If done...properly, it could also serve as a place of refuge if, God forbid, we should find ourselves under attack. If the humiliores know to gather at the...Central Hall, for lack of a better name, then we can more quickly assess who is missing and who isn't, and better formulate a plan of counterattack."

[color=red]"I have...reservations about using outsiders to handle our affairs, to send someone to negotiate our acquiring a Casting Tablet for Aegis of the Hearth...how would a mundane* know what would be a fair bargain? That said, I wouldn't necessarily be adverse to one of us accompanying a more skilled negotiator.

• I am sooo tempted to have her call them "Muggles" (I've been on a big Harry Potter kick lately) and just chalk it up to English/Stonehenge slang.

It's all Cygna can do to keep from laughing at the mental image she gets when Amos says this...but she does grin broadly.

[color=red]"So, you're saying that we actually need to maintain two companies, one for each side?

[color=red]"If need be, I do know a spell that allows me to understand whatever language someone is speaking...even if it's a language that I already know that someone's not speaking very well. I don't yet have anything that allows me to speak whatever language someone is speaking, but the spell I have should allow us to make headway with her. Or anyone else, for that matter."

[color=red]"Not as such," Cygna says slowly, [color=red]"but my Gift does bother mundanes less than most magi's does, if we need someone to deal with them."

Cygna looks surprised. [color=red]"Father Pierre is Eastern? Sounded quite like a Roman priest from my old covenant." She shakes her head sadly. [color=red]"Arrogant, condescending git," she mutters in English.

Cygna looks thoughtful again. [color=red]"Even ignoring the question of whether it's possible to convert the dead, why stop there? If we are going to be serious about being a covenant where Christian, Jew, and Muslim live together in peace, it seems to me that we should discourage actively seeking converts within the covenant. If a Jew comes to the priest and wants to become Christian, or a Christian wants to become Muslim, or whatever, that's one thing, but it would do us no good to have Father Pierre go after the others demanding that they join his church. Or, for that matter, Christians who don't believe the way he thinks they should".

Cygna looks surprised at the question. [color=red]"To be honest, magus, beyond establishing a laboratory, I hadn't really seriously planned ahead." She thinks for a couple of minutes. [color=red]"Based on what I've seen so far today, and given my affinity for the art of Mentem, and my studies so far, I would love to be able to study the Warders and the Vintners. With their permission, of course. Beyond that..." She shrugs.

Wow, I missed that

Hiems, thinking
As if anything mattered...

After cygna's answer, inspired by her exemple:
I must say the same thing. My priority is getting to know you, and having a place where we can all live in peace. Have some kind of non-agression, or even cooperation, pact with our neighbours would be great. Beyond that... I don't know much. For a start, I'd like some quiet time alone, to develop my arts somewhat. Maybe find a familiar, craft a talisman, some things like that. I'd like to find some way to enhance my powers, and am interested in seeking ancient secrets of magic, but this comes after our covenant's security.

Cygna looks at Hiems for a long moment after he finishes, hoping that he will continue. She knows a tiny bit more than she knew a minute ago, but was hoping for more.

When it's apparent that he's done speaking, she will then look at Jaime with a raised brow, a silent request for him to elaborate.

(I’m still deep in work, so if you think I’ve mistaken or ignored something important in these summaries, please correct me)

FATHER PIERRE

After listening to Amos’s words, Viscaria smiles as she suggests, "I met a vine, excuse me, a Vintner, who had converted to Islam. Why not let this Father Pierre ply his religious fervor among the vines?”

Jaime’s response is curt and lethal. “That would be inadvisable. The Regio already connects to Dominion and Infernal regiones. What did you think the Vintners guard against? Fruitflies?”

THE VINEYARD

From what Amos recalls, the Bountiful Harvest is a ritual performed on fields, whereas the magic wine seems to be targeting casks of wine already pressed. Cersei had some hand in the choosing of grapes, this wine was pressed separately, and somehow gained mystic qualities during the fermentation and aging process.

On the other hand, the casting of such a spell, were there sufficient vis, would greatly ease the efforts needed to maintain the field. Instead of creating a larger crop, a typical crop could be produced by far fewer people.

THE RABBI’S REQUESTS

Viscaria intends to construct a building to foster unity between the faiths, and provide a central place of schooling for the children. Several potential teachers have been suggested. (Can someone with more free time than me pull together the list of suggested teachers? Uncle Reyes, Father Pierre....)

No one has made any suggestions about the unwed and widowed women, but everyone seems sympathetic.

SCRIPTORIUM / LIBRARY - ARABIC SCHOLARSHIP

I believe we decided that either someone locally needs to be found, or we can go looking in Trujillo.

SCRIPTORIUM / LIBRARY - THE LURE OF LOCKHART

I believe we decided that we don’t have the vis.

SCRIPTORIUM / LIBRARY - IDLE FINGERS

Viscaria has suggested that the scriptorium compiles a history of Phoenix/Cijara for us to all read. No one has suggested any other option. OOC: This sort of makes me feel like I’m playing this game all by myself :cry:

DEALING WITH DWARVES

Viscaria: "While I am a fair hand at the trading table, I am also the resident Verditus, and it behooves us to minimize my time away from the lab. Amos, if you feel so unskilled at the negotiation table, perhaps you could gather the spring vis sources? Or track down these refugees?

Jaime smiles. “Oh, I think I do know someone who might suit, if we can tempt him into a more stable trading route. I believe we’re expecting his next caravan sometime this week. I like this plan. We should indeed divest ourselves of whatever mundane matters we can safely let go of. When he arrives, you can all meet him, and decide for yourselves. If you all agree, I suggest that Lady Viscaria guides him back to the dwarves for these negotiations.”

SANCTUMS AND SPARE LABS

Viscaria: ”Hiems, does this mean you'll be in charge of searching the tower for the Vim vis which is supposed to be buried in all that rubble? I, too, am quite content with the sanctum that I discovered underneath Phoenix Manor, but will happily examine the others. Especially if I understand correctly, that Claudia can be put to task creating a specialized lab -- extraction, perhaps, since we are so short on vis”.

STRUCTURE AND RESTRUCTURING

Unless someone suggests another course, Viscaria’s craftsmen will take up residence in the Regio.

Esteban gets a lab in the Cijara Manor.

Viscaria: ”A Grand Hall, sodales. I am tempted to call it Unity Hall, though I have long ago learned that you can never tell a mortal* why you help them. It just makes them all the more suspicious.”

• Cygna notices that both Jaime and Viscaria seem to refer to mundanes as “mortals.” Jaime has long surpassed the average human life expectancy, to be sure, but Viscaria looks like just a child.

FATI’S REPORT

OOC: There seems to be unanimous and instant support for Fati’s pilgramage idea. ~power-up montage~ +1 Loyalty point.

Jaime : Very well. Should we send anyone besides Amos to search for these refugees and assess them? It seems someone versed in Mentem or detecting subterfuge would be wise. I suggest we use the opportunity to meld our new warriors into a unit of soldiers.”

VIS HARVESTING

Jaime brings this subject back up. “We need someone to harvest Mentem from the Vintners before they overrun the place. We need someone to search Hiems’ Tower for the lost Vim vis. We need someone to research our vis sources and harvest whatever sources we have this season. I seem to recall we had at least two or three of them.”

AMOS’S CERTAMEN CHALLENGE

Jaime sits back and watches how everyone reacts to this.

AEGIS ISSUES

Jaimes smiles at Amos for the first time since the encounter with Serrano. “Repent but once then seek to overcome your flaws. In no other way can you grow. The Mercere are often employed to negotiate for such things, but they charge for their services in vis. While we might be able to harvest much Mentem, and reclaim some part of the Vim vis underneath Salam-- I mean, Hiems’ Tower, I do not suggest we consider bartering without goods in hand. I second the motion that Amos be among whatever party we assemble for seeking an Aegis we can cast.

We have a spell text which no one here can learn. We have no vis currently for a Rego Vim spell.”

IBERIAN POLITICS

Oh, just the outline. Crusading covenants, counter-crusading covenants, moorish wizards... I know there are christians attacking muslims, muslims attacking christians, christians allying with muslims against other muslims... I lack details, but I know enough to understand it's a bag of worms and a sad exemple of humanity at work.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Jaime calls for a servant to fetch something from the library. The Jewish servant returns with several copies of The Tribunals of Hermes, edited by Marie ex Mercere, published earlier this year.

OOC: Note that the link still includes Hamer Acerbus, as a placeholder for some cooler covenant that any of you can come up with. This text was blatantly stolen from several online campaign logs set in 3rd Ed Iberia and may not be canon.

Jaime: “This should take naught but an hour to read, though I’d prefer you wait until you were all in separate rooms. It should answer most of your questions. In brief...” Jaime summarizes the document, including some personal comment on every magi in every covenant who has been in Iberia for longer than 5 years.

(I still have a hard time believing that reading quietly hasn’t been invented yet.)

Jaime sighs the long, heavy sigh of a man unused to speaking to journeymen. "While I meant to ask which issues among those raised at council do you wish to pursue, I fear that in your innocence you have revealed the larger problem.

"Let me make this perfectly clear to you all. You are no longer apprentices. There is no one left to hold your hand or tell you what to do. If you wish to survive in this world as anything more than the catspaw of an older magi, you must be proactive. Too many among the Hermetic council are content to sit inside their sancta and study the writings of greater men -- men who became greater because they acted upon the world's stage. The world is crumbling apart, and you have all been freshly installed in one of the last surviving garrisons for the defenders of sanity and reason. Whether you choose to continue in our works, or choose your own paths, be clear on this: this home you dwell in has made many enemies over the years, and they all wish to claim victory over it. Some may try to blow down our walls, but I have left few of those for you to deal with. No, your foes will be more subtle. They will talk to you of their dreams and beliefs, and these dreams will be so vividly painted that you will forget yourself. You will want what they want, and in so wanting, you will become their slaves.

"You have only two defenses to choose from. Embrace life, or shun it entirely. Have a goal, or give up entirely. Become...

His words are interrupted by a knock on the dining hall door. One of Cygna's English grog compatriots, dusty from a quick horseback ride, drops briefly to one knee and begs forgiveness. In fluent Latin, the man speaks. Forgive this intrusion, but I thought you would want to know instantly, my Hermetic masters. After safely depositing our charge here, the Lady Cygna, my men and I made our way to Castiblanco, from there to seek passage back to Stonehenge Tribunal. While there, we discovered that a band of Templars have decided to make permanent camp right outside your walls - in the heart of Castiblanco!

Viscaria wryly interrupts, "This would have been more impressive had we not already learned of this from the dead rabbi."

"Their principle actors seem to be these three: Sandor Clegane, called God's Hound; someone called Confessor Fidel, an unforgiving man in charge of hearing penance; and a third man, called only The Holy Knight by the Templars. This 3rd figure is most mysterious. We could find no one who has ever seen him without his armor and helm, he is spoken of with profound reverence, and obeyed without question."

Very interesting, Cygna thinks, and makes a mental note on another avenue for research, but says nothing on the matter.

[color=red]"Marguerite did mention 'The Impatient.' I got the impression that some were ghosts and some were...something else entirely. She said this is what the Vintners and the Warders, who are very much like the Impatient, protected against. I had planned to inquire about them later in the meeting...especially since, the whole time I was out, I thought I heard the sound of battle off in the distance, but wasn't sure." Cygna looks nervously about the room...not at the other magi, but about the room, as though she were looking for something or someone. [color=red]"But I imagine we would also want more information about the regio...especially if there are Divine and...Infernal regiones connecting to it, and if we know why there are no Faerie regiones in the vicinity."

From what Cygna has heard about the situation here, she agrees that this would be a very good idea...if we had the Vis. Which seems to be a recurring theme, she thinks.

[color=red]"It seems to me that the best thing to do is to find them some productive work around the covenant or the village until they remarry, if they do. Perhaps in the vineyard or the winery, around the covenant with the maids or kitchen staff. If any of them have any other skills, maybe we can diversify the covenant's industry, in case anything happens to the grape crop (God forbid)."

[color=red]"If what I saw earlier is any indication, they most certainly need more to occupy their time. Compiling the history should keep Sharae and Danielle busy, while copying the texts that we brought with us should occupy Danielle and possibly Fidelia for a while. Beyond that...?" Cygna shrugs. [color=red]"Unfortunately, my old covenant didn't have a staff to speak of, so I'm not entirely sure what they are suited to do when their services aren't required in the library."

SANCTUMS AND SPARE LABS

[color=red]"That might be a good idea. Not only would we be able to explore the grounds and lay claim to our future sancta and labs, but we would get to know each other a little better and hopefully avoid any more misunderstandings like we had earlier."

[color=red]"I do know a spell that allows me to glean the truth to a question from the subject's mind, as well as one that allows me to understand any language spoken in my presence. I don't yet have the mental fortitude to maintain the one while casting the other, though, so I would need someone to translate for me, or us, at the very least. And as much as I believe a show of arms would work in our favour, if I understand Fati correctly I don't really see any force we can muster being all that impressive.

VIS HARVESTING

[color=red]"I would be more than happy to harvest the vis from the Vintners. I assume that whomever had the pleasure before left no notes on the procedure, and that I will have to research it or ask the Vintners how it was done?"

As far as Cygna's concerned, while she's certainly unhappy with the way Amos handled Serrano's misreading of the covenant charter, from what she's heard of what transpired between them after she left (exclusively from Amos, since as near as I can tell neither Hiems nor Jaime has said anything in her presence) Serrano appears to have been guilty of exacerbating the situation before apparently leaving.

She still knows nothing of Serrano's background, his service to covenants across the Order, or any of his internal motivations. All she knows is that Amos stayed, apparently tried to make amends to Serrano, and has signed the Charter. Serrano apparently rebuffed any attempted reconciliation, refused to sign the charter, and has left. Ipso facto, he, as far as she's concerned, has lost his case by default (or forfeit). If and when Serrano returns to Cijara and Phoenix, then we can revisit the situation.

Cygna looks like she's about to say something but stops herself. She is concerned that, if she volunteers for everything she would be spreading herself too thin, and she doesn't want to come across as something like a "teacher's pet" type.

[color=red]"Thank you, Archmagus." Cygna resolves to read it on the morrow (as she plans on bathing and turning in after the meeting). She would like to do so after breakfast, depending on when the tour of the covenant will be, but it might wind up being later in the day. She will attempt to commit it to memory (Int 4 + Art of Memory 1 + die roll of 6) = 11; hopefully the pamphlet is short enough to memorize and that this is a good enough result to do so...or at least the part of the pamphlet dedicated to the Iberian Tribunal.

((OOC: No no, Amul! Sorry, we're still here, but you just threw a lot of story threads and hooks at us. Some are bound to get lost in the mix, and in any planning situation, especially if Jaime doesn't care enough to bring it back up, OR if he gets disgruntled at the magus's lack of willingness to get involved, he could very well let some things sit and grow into a larger issue because we forgot to deal with it. Doesn't seem like Jaime's style, but that's our own fault for missing out on stuff. So, we're still here, mate! :slight_smile:

((Second OOC: The longer the Council lasts, the more Amos begins to talk and relax. This is partially because I just type a lot, and partially because he slowly gets over being strangers, especially when, by the time we get to reviewing DEALING WITH DWARVES he begins to sense a kindred silent spirit in Hiems <and Servus, who seems pre-occupeid. :smiley:.))

"Seriously? Dominion AND Infernal?" Amos asks, incredulously. "How far does the regio extend? I'm suddenly much gladder for the Vintners and Warders - I'm assuming their "guard" was mostly for show, but do they have more impact on the regio? Truly then, we need to educate and restrict Father Pierre more than i thought previously." Amos straightens and clears his throat; he seems to be copying someone else's mannerisms. "I suggest treating our in-house politics much the same way as our Charter for now - we formally place Father Pierre on a Probationary Period so he can show us of what benefit his stay at Cijara will be. We also outline what is and is not acceptable behavior - speech and relationship, but no physical or verbal attacks on the Vintners nor Warders, and no poaching from others' flocks - let him know he's welcome to try and "save" them, but the humiliores has to come to him - he cannot go to them. The Probationary Period will also give each new member of household that we've brought with us time to assimilate and learn the language of Cijara - I'll speak of this idea more when I hope to expand on Viscaria's plan for Unity Hall."

Amos plans to submit the request for the Bountiful Harvest spell with the other trade requests (like Aegis) to whomever's in charge. If he turns out to be in charge, it'll be on the list.

"It's almost like creating a harem of matrons, but if they're willing to work on take on a man's job in some places, we seem to have many holes that need to be filled. It seems a quick way to expand on our needed labor, and that would place them under the word of our protection... umm... is that allowed? Or would we be encroaching on Mundane Politics of Land and Ownership? Our guard sweeps could then start including a weekly or bi-weekly "patrol" of the wider area, if they are bringing some goods here. If there's no contribution, and they're unwilling to move onto Cijara lands and accept our religious structure and requirements, then I don't think we can be much more than sympathetic. Phoenix has lost too much to expend such resources now. Perhaps in three or four months, if we've rebuilt the guards and the vineyards, and are back on secure footing... and for us newcomers to gain a greater understanding of what's being asked of us. Oh, about our religious structure and requirements - I'll get into an idea I have for Unity Hall."

Concur, and one of those items that kind of got tabled. Amos does not remember the issue unless someone else brings it back up - he considers it a very low priority.

"We really should review the vis sources so we know what we can have and what, overall, are items that must be traded for. Perhaps we can review them at the end of this Council?" Amos asks.

"Umm... what were the three previously employed to do? Do they have a set list of books we expect to be copied for trade, and they've run out, or were they mainly kept in place to bind and organize and writings that the magi did? Because if so, I'm sure we'll find plenty of work for them to do after reviewing the papers currently in the respective labs. Oh, and I have no problem turning over the books and and scrolls I've brought with me under Calf&Cow, as long as I still have first request on them."

Amos chuckles a bit. "That sounds good - I'm umm... I guess eager to meet him." He takes a quick glance around at the magi at the table. "We're not a very social bunch, are we?" he sadly smiles, trying to take the sting out of any perceived slight. "Kinda direct. Well, seems like a good thing then that we won't need to be reading second or third meanings into our words."

"I think I would rather take over an established lab space and reorganize than put up a new one," Amos declares. "Wait - Jaime, did you say earlier the underground lab Viscaria found was Piotyr's guestlab?" Amos asks with a chagrined look on his face. "I was hoping to review his papers..."

"Unity Hall - good," Amos nods. "And Hiems, I believe you mentioned a steward. Archmagus, I'm sure these informal Council meetings worked quite well in the past, but until we become more familiar with the people and the lands, I myself feel very overwhelmed by all that we've been presented with. I would, perhaps, like these requests to be better filtered and organized in their presentation to the Council. We also want to bring everyone here, new and old, in unity to each other but still in respect to us, and I think Unity Hall will fit well into that. Here's my idea -

Unity Hall should also include a "council" room. This council will be headed and led by the steward, and be in charge of handling all of the mundane requests and issues. We should probably choose who should start on this council, and let them decide if anyone else should be added. This meeting should occur prior to our Council Meeting, so that any expenses can be compiled and issues that need to be brought to our attention can be presented by the steward at that time. The steward will have the power and decision to invite anyone to report on a specific issue individually if she believes pertinent details and specifics are required. As far as I can tell, I would think the current Council should be the Steward, Captain Fati, Abraham Warder, the Warder in Charge, the Head Maid, and the Village Head. They can choose to invite others to the Council as needed.

Secondly, we establish a "language room" and a Probationary Period for new residents of Cijara. This language room would be in place to teach everyone a unifying language for Cijara. We should learn it too. I'm guessing Castillian at this point? Although I guess we could insist on Latin... but this gives us a chance to also present the ideas of religious acceptance and haven that you've-"he nods at Jaime" already established for these lands. I see no reason to change such a stance. I know, in honesty, we could kick anyone out at any point, but the Probationary Period reinforces that idea with anyone new who comes in so they realize it too."

"Cygna?" Amos turns to her and inquires. "Would you like to be the friendly but stern face of authority? I believe you stated people seem to respond to you better..."

"Cygna, you seemed to express interest in the Vintners - this would be a chance for them to talk your ear off and get to know them better. And Hiems, if you're claiming the Tower as your Sanctum, that seems obviously yours. I'm willing to look into the other sources for Spring - we can gather them on our search for the refugees - I still think we should all review them at the end of this session though. We might be able to better plan some of our other gathering trips for the other times."

((OOC: Pulls on earlobes - "wusha! Wuusha!"))

Amos blinks at the nomination. "But I meant... I mean..." he blushes. "You're right, I can and will do it, if no one else objects. I think we should also try to get a Bountiful Harvest spell to augment our fields. I know we're planning on trading the Aegis spell under Calf&Cow to gain a lower level version and additional goods - we should review what we've brought and see what else we have to offer, and what else we require. We should have another Council Meeting in one week's time so I can compile what all we've found and what all we need."

Amos listens carefully to understand Jaime's interpretation, but does not chime in with any of the documents or knowledge he gained that Magus Martreau had him review in perparing to try to investigate the Shadow Flambeau. He will certainly note any contradictions, however - like Jaime's opinion of Piotyr.

Amos nods through most of Jaime's lecture, but is unwilling to reveal his personal goal of investigating and finding the Shadow Flambeau yet.

[/quote]
"Should we call Father Pierre back? He is of the Eastern Christian philosophy, but I've never really inquired on what connections he made while under Magus Martreau's tutelage and protection. Martreau was a Crusader - Father Pierre may have gained some contacts amongst the Templars..."

Hiems, thinking What the hell????

Bending a little forward, raising an eyebrow o_O My sodales is right. This sounds pretty alarming to me. Could you shed more light on these matters?

Of course. Hiems is sympathetic, sure, but this also makes him very ill at ease, and hurts.
If faced by the subject, he'll do what he can to help them, but he'd prefer to avoid it altogether.

I guess so, especially if I make the tower my sanctum, although it'll probably appear when I clear the rubble, so I wouldn't call that searching.
But if already two of us have found suitable laboratories, that's good, we'll be able to settle in quickly. We should also make a list of what we'd want Claudia to to. I don't know of to put it. She is a great ressource to us, but... Well, she could have been one of us, so I feel we shouldn't treat her as such. This kind of work is the closest she'll know to the life of a magus, and we should make it clear the we give it to her because of her skill

This is a good idea.
I'll send Marie, since he has sharp eyes and an see the unseen. And gerard, too, if muscle is needed.

This stirs something within Hiems. A flash of anger, a spark of life and fury. Maybe he wasn't clear before. He want this community to be in peace and a haven for people, and he won't let anyone get in the way, be it subtly or otherwise. He doesn't care much about greatness, politics, fame or else. These are non important to him, their only use being a temporary respite from the loss and the loneliness that gnaws at him. That's why he wants to make allies and friends. So that others won't know what it is to be eaten alive from the inside.
But before he can speak, Jaime is interrupted by the knowking

Impossibly enough, like a storm in the midst of winter, signs of anger begin to show up on Hiems face, for the first display of emotion anyone as seen from him.
In a cold, slow, harsh voice, like the deepest winter encroaching civilisation Fidel. I would beware of this man and his forked tongue. And of anyone who allies with him. We need to get them out of here as soon as possible, for he will bring only doom and division to us.

Cooling of...
Sigh... This may be problematic. We'd give him power over us, a power I don't think he should have at all.
Yet... He may very well be the best suited to deal with these templars. So we need a way to control him, make sure he doesn't betray us to the templars.