2.5 - Council Meeting, Friday, March 15, 1213AD

But won't the wax tablets for recording the minutes melt? :laughing:
And what happens in Council stays in Council, right?
Ra'am arrives fully clothed, but if everyone looks like they're disrobing, he'll do so, as well, and have a towel about him for modesty.

Nope...Cygna's still fully clothed (although her robes have a white powder on them, and some of her hair looks like it's worked free from the cord she has it tied back with).

"Pardon me, Cygna. I don't wish to offend you and you're generous offer of food. Can you tell me how these were prepared? And, do you know the history of the grapes and wine made here? Are the purpose of the grapes and wine primarily for pagan purposes? You see, I'm Jewish, and I can't consume grapes or wine if the primary purpose is for pagan rites. That's the reason for my inquiry." His care in asking should be a marked change from him in the library yesterday.

Cygna looks a little surprised at the question. [color=red]"I've not really looked into it, but I'm assuming that the grapes and wine are intended to be eaten, drank, and enjoyed. I don't think they're being used for any pagan rituals...or if they are, that's not their intended purpose. And as for the tarts...I made them for us to enjoy during the meeting, and if there are any left over, to be enjoyed by the staff.

Does that make them suitable enough?

And if you really want Mama's recipe, I suppose I could give it to you."

"No, I don't want the recipe, although Levi might. He's an accomplished baker." Ra'am takes a bite and finds the tart delightful. "No, we just have to ascertain the purpose of the grapes. Your assurance is good enough for me. Thank you!"

I'm not sure, but I think towels are anachronistic. ~shrug~ Whatever, you guys have towels.

Related:
The rather descriptive entry for when the 1st group of magi all arrived: 2.1 Preludes - Cijara / Phoenix Covenant - #30 by amul

A badly scarred and bandaged Jamie Lannister arrives, his face still full of misery and mourning.

"I heard through the grapevine that we have some new friends who will need to prepare for the Sabbath. Have they signed the charter yet? Someone brought pastries?"

This simple pleasure brings a rare smile to his face.

Gerald the porcupine would have balked at coming. (OOC: I would prefer not to deal with Jaime seeing this reminder of his losses during the meeting.)

Viscaria arrived very early to the meeting, and has been lounging in the bath, wearing her simple white toga in the bath.

After helping himself to one of Cygna's tarts, Jaime asks to be introduced to the new magi.

"Archmagus Lannister, I am Ra'am ex Bonisagus, filius of Aurelius ex Jerbiton, Tria ex Bonisagus Trianomae, and Prospero ex Bonisagus Bonisagi, respecitvely. I am honored to meet you." He bows deeply before Jamie.

"I did read the charter, as I seemed to be trapped on the Phoenix side of the regio for over a day. It is my understanding from rumor that there is a path to immediate full membership of the council, I didn't see mention of that on the charter, though. I was waiting to hear that condition before signing, as I'm seeking full membership."

"Then let me add my welcome to that of the rest of the council, oh Bonisagus with such a lengthy immediate family. How is dear Tria? I have not seen her in over five years. I am surprised to know that you came here unaware of my offer, as I had sent it out nearly two seasons ago. But then, I have always suspected that House Mercere takes a more political stance here than they acknowledge. How did you come here? By Tria's counsel?

"The offer is not a standard part of our charter. It is an emergency measure meant to repopulate the covenant in response to disastrous news. The offer is this: give me your sigil for the 1214 Iberian Tribunal, and I will give you full membership in Phoenix. A simple bargain, but one made for no light purpose."

"Indeed I did, but it appears more by her intrigue than anything." Ra'am smiles wryly. "Truthfully, information coming out of Iberia is scant. The Tenens Occultorum for Iberia was killed, and her apprentice managed to make it to Durenmar despite his wounds. She was being wooed to finish the term when I left. I suspect she may show up on our doorstep any day now. She's already taken the apprentice under her wing."

"My interest in politics is slight, it is one reason why I didn't continue under Tria. You have built a diverse group of peoples here. There are already signs that the Christian overlords in certain areas are requiring my people to wear hats and clothing of certain color. I want to ensure that all people are free to worship as they wish, without prosletyzing and without persecution." In the back of Ra'am's mind, he knows that Tria maneuvered him here. As long as he stayed in Normandy or Greater Alps tribunals, he'd be constantly scrounging and never be able to start his life's work. She maneuvered him into a position where he might at last begin research, instead of subsisting. That, and she must have arranged with Prospero to give him only enough money to get to Phoenix.
"I trust Tria implicitly. She maneuvered me into a position where it would be hard for me to say no. You have my proxy for the 1214 Tribunal. I will, of course, attend and see how my vote is used. I am trusting her judgment in you, that you will vote with honor and in furtherance of the goals that lead you to be part of this covenant."

Jaime's face becomes grave at the mention of the Tenens Occultorum. "Yes, it was Extempora who was the first to figure out what was really going on at Las Navas de Tolosa. And thus, she was also the first to fall. I hadn't heard that William had survived. That is....well, that is something, at least. I may not have counted her as an ally, but for Extempora, it was still about the matter itself, and not just about who was on which side. She was blinded by her faith, but at least she believed.

You have my word that I ask for these sigils solely to fulfill the purpose for which we founded Phoenix Covenant."

"What kind of power do you intend to wield on the council, or are we to have a free hand at govenance?"

"I said full membership, and I meant it. Equal vote. The sigils are surrendered to me personally."

"I also brought pastry-- these lemon bars came from Harco." They are slightly squished but still fresh and delicious.

She will leave Gerald behind with a copious quantity of delicious sauteed greens, roasted nuts, and a tart for dessert. She also gives him belly scratches and a kiss on the nose, if he allows it.

"I am Azura filia Xavier scholae Merceris," the dark-haired maga introduces herself. "Due to my house traditions, my sigil can never be seen in Tribunal, but homing the Trbunal's sole Gifted Mercere can offer much more political clout than a single vote could. I would be at your disposal politically, so long as nothing on your agenda conflicts with my House's interests. Which, as far as Iberia is concerned, are my interests." She smiles congenially. "I am a Mercurian caster and I can provide a sixth magnitude Aegis, in exchange for membership and your protection and support in the establishment of a Mercer House here."

The smile actually reaches up to his eyes. "Lemon bars from Italy, a rare delight indeed. If we must start new traditions, I must say, I wouldn't object to this one."

He allows it, though Azura suspects it is only to humor her. There is little joy in the animal.

"Welcome, fair Azura. Your proposal is most intriguing to me, but as it does not fall under the mandate reached while I was the sole member of this covenant, it must be voted on by the full council."

He bades everyone to find a seat. "I seem to have taken charge of this meeting. An old habit, and one not suitable for our new circumstances. The council will need to decide on how councils themselves are to be run in this new era. There are many aspects of the charter which were acceptable when we were but four magi, already bloodsworn to act as kin. But perhaps I will come to that later.

"While I would normally suggest we discuss old business before new, I believe we should make an exception in this case. Our first order of business must be to decide if we will welcome Ra'am, filius of Aurelius ex Jerbiton, filius Tria ex Bonisagus Trianomae, et filius Prospero ex Bonisagus Bonisagi into our council before or after deliberating on this proposal brought to us by Azura filia Xavier scholae Merceris. Then, we should consider Azura's case and vote on it, before moving on to other council matters."

He glances about for input.

Amos comes bumbling into the meeting late, blowing his nose. "Sowwy for wunnin' lade", he mumbles and wipes tears from his bloodshot red eyes. "I dink I'm allegick to grawewines-"-he finally blows clear-"or something. And I got lost. A nice Warder finally took pity on me and-" stuffing his handkerchief back in his pocket, he bustles for one of the seat while talking, and then stumbles at the sight of Viscaria back in the hot spring and Azura in a towel. "Ummm. Yeah, yes, I... ummm." He shuts up and sits down.

If/when he's offered a grape tart and a lemon cake, he'll politely apologize and ask if he can save it until later. "I fast on Fridays, even past the ninth hour."

"No offense Archmagus," Amos quietly states, "But even if you didn't take charge we'd probably still defer to you, at least for the next month or so until we feel more at home. I would welcome Magus Ra'am amongst us and... and... Achoo!" he whips out his handkerchief and sneezes into it. "Damn! And dere aren't grapevines down here. Damn damn da... sorry Lord." Amos sort of waves his hand as he continues to cover his mouth with his handkerchief and starts mumbling several praises to Jesus.

Hiems doesn't care.
He just won't go into the baths with people, which is probably for the best, since it'd have been as adding ice to them.
Best part is, he can stay fully clothed (and he will) without being inconvenienced by the potential heat :smiley:

He'll settle quietly in a remote corner, until it's time to come together.

This is an argument that pleases Hiems :wink:

o_O (For Arya and JL, this is Hiems being all spock-like. Or Teal'c, if you prefer. Which is about his only recognisable and usual facial expression)

Sigh... :unamused:
This was to be expected, after all...

Excellent :laughing:

Hiems will take a tart

Thank you, lady cygna.
After tasting one
I must say, these are quite delicious. I didn't knew you were skilled in baking, and this proves to be a pleasant surprise indeed.

[color=red]"I think it is safe to assume that your provision of a sixth magnitude Aegis is entirely contingent upon your taking residence here,"' Cygna says to Azura. [color=red]"But, and please forgive my ignorance, but I had thought that a Mercere house was supposed to be independent, not affiliated with a covenant, so as to avoid...favoritism? And will your duties to your house prevent you from fulfilling your obligations to the Phoenix?"

[color=red]"I've found that it's best to be good at a few things besides magic...makes for a more rounded maga." Cygna smiles shyly.

(edited to remove stupid question)

"Oh pish posh. We're not the Guernici; we don't have to pretend to be detached and impartial. In essence, what's good for House Mercere is good for the Order, and if some are more... appreciative of my House's work than others, it would be impolite not to show our gratitude.

"As for my duties-- I imagine it highly unlikely that any here would ask me to screw over my House or any member of it, so no, I do not foresee any conflict therein. All of us prioritize certain things above our covenant or above the Order-- God, family, personal ambitions-- for me, it is House Mercere. And as far as Iberia is concerned, if I establish a Mercer House here, then Phoenix's interests ARE House Mercere's interests, and vice versa."

(Edited to remove response to stupid question :p)

Ra'am is sitting quietly next to Azura, being uncomfortable with her gesticulating as she speaks, afraid the towel will fly off at a moment's notice.
He glances furtively at Cygna and Heims who seem to be avoiding his gaze as they avoid taking the vote before them...