A labor of love and magic

"Okay, first thing is first. The council needs to vote on this but I think we need to vote that extra season of work from each member this year. One season for the fair and one for development. It will mean no extra next year but we need it. " She holds her sigil out in favor of this though it is for head of council to acknowledge her proposal. "and since there is a spell to detect vis, maybe I should work on the spell to bring up the water to the various levels if we can determine exactly how. I can see an easy way. We enchant something to bring steady supply up to a basin up top that has a hole in the bottom to let it create a flow down to a basin on the next level and so on like a water fall. Then someone needs water, they catch the water they need from the waterfall. That or we can have a basin each level and water is brought up to it. A ring diameter type spell might work if we had a hollowed out log of some sort. I am very good at rego."

"What are we voting on? I thought Acacius just assigned the services?" Rhodri pauses a moment. "Wait that's by the council right? Yes, the Council decides. Well I'm fine with the assignments as Acacius suggested." Rhodri pauses as he looks over at the quietly snoring Agitatus.

"What about Aggie?" Rhodri whispers, cokcing a thumb at him.

Bjorn turns to Rhodri, "We are voting on the motion to require all magi dedicate two seasons this year towards the covenant instead of the normal one to help get the fair up and running." With that, Bjorn will raise his sigil in favor of the motion. "As for Acacius assigning tasks, it seems redundant for Siobhan to invent a vis detecting spell when I already have one learned. If the council would like me to spend this season transcribing the spell for others to learn, I will do so, but I feel my time might be better spent doing something that would be of more immediate use to the covenant.

"I believe I could make an enchanted item to either cast a light or a heat spell on a stone for the day, and these stones could then be dispersed around the covenant. I feel a ring spell for heat would be more comfortable though, since it would heat a larger area and not come from a single source. It could be advantageous to do light the same way, so no area of a room would be dark, and we would not have to worry about everything going dark at sunup and sundown."

Bjorn looks over to Agitatus and shrugs. "He does not have a lab yet, or even a building to house a lab in. I'm not sure what we would ask him to do at this point."

Solve that task as you see fit my soldaes. Acacius clears his throat. I also vote for an extra season of work. Acacius then turns to Agitatus. Agitatus how could you help our covenant? Perhaps someone else should take over the light project and I start working on a hospital.

Rhodri holds up his sigil. "I vote also that we devote an extra season to help the covenant get set up. We've been given a special task, we need to put the covenant before our needs. And I'll handle the water, I'm sure I'll come up with a convenient and economic method, later we can make one that's more aesthetically pleasing."

Aggie continues to snore as Acacius addresses him.

Agiatus! Acacius raise his voice in hope that his soldae will wake out of his slumber. We need to hear your voice at the council table. If you have trouble sleeping at night then perhaps I can help you but here and now we need your attention but here and now we need your wisdom.

"Hey! Wake up ye worthless old coot!" snaps Tessa as she appears in the stairway with Dermot, the servant that fetched them scurrying off to get cups and ale for them. Aggie snorts and coughs at the barked command and looks around. He looks alarmed at first and then rolls his eyes in annoyance as he sees what's going on.

"Blast it! I threw me Sigil in for ye to use, what more do ye want!" he snarls. He looks at his empty cup and then around the table. "Fine, what is it ye want? Buildin ye're labs weren't enough?"

Dermot sighs and accepts his cup. "Why were we called?"

"Considering that there is vis for him to set up his lab, he can do any project he sets his mind to. On the other hand, Considering that he actually cast the spells that we have labs to work in, it could definately count as one season of work if we so chose. As for tasks. If somone actually knows a formla for detecting vis, they should be the ones to look for the vis sources rather than me reinventing such a spell in my lab or trying to do it spontaneously. It is much safer. I could work on a spell for something else, perhaps dealing with the water. Creo is not by best art." Siobhan really hates idea of duplication of effort.

Acacius: Wise words Siobhan, there is no reason to do unnecessary work. One thing that we should think about is if there is any other task that we should put our mind to. Once we have fixed water supply, heat, light for ourselves and for the covenfolk then we should think if there are any task that we must fix. Perhaps we need a levitating platform that will make travel within the covenant easier or anything else. In the future I will start working on a hospital.
Acacius turns to Agitatus. Soldae I am willing to see your spell casting as work for the covenant, after all you have the skill to cast spells of great magnitude. However I wish that you participate in this council as we decide on important matters that affect our lives and our covenant. If you have trouble sleeping at night then I could help remedy that condition or at least find something that will help you keep wake during our meetings.

Acacius then turns to Tessa and Dermot. Dermot the council wish to know how the clan intend to support it self here. Tessa could you help us in establishing relations with the other populated areas so that we ensure a steady flow off supplies. Acacius looks at Tessa wishing that he had the courage to spend more time with that fascinating woman.

"I am more than willing to take the time to search out the vis in the area. Do you think I should devote a whole season to the task?

"If I recall correctly, Agiatus expressed his desire to have his lab be on the surface, and not part of our magically created covenant. Since there is no buildings up there as of yet, there would be no place for him to set up his lab."

Aggie finally speaks up about hs intentions. "Ach, I wanted a little cottage made and a lab attached. I weren't in no hurry for that. I already got a decent enough roof over me head up there. Once the home was built I'd make a lab in me own time."

Rhodri speaks up. "Oh! Well, Aggie if there is enough building materials on hand, I could assemble a home for you rather quickly, with just a few spells actually. It would take a day at most, I could even have furnishings, as long as we have the raw material."

"What! Do ye think I can't!" snaps Aggie he says in sudden anger. Rhodri's helpful smile quickly turns into near panic at the sudden response. Tessa smacks Aggie on the shoulder.

"Quit playin' ye old bat!" Aggie makes a large smile and cackles, pointing to his long hooked nose and then at Rhodri.

"Got ye!" Rhodri lets out his breath in relieved sigh as he picks up his ale and quaffs it with a shaking hand. "Sure lad, whenever ye like ye can do that for me."

Dermot steps forward, adjusting his kilt and tunic. "This is certainly interesting, but I'm rather busy. Ye wanted to know what we be doing? We're raising flocks of sheep and trying to raise some head of cattle. The land is fine for grazing. We should do alright, but this first year will cost hard coin no doubt. The clan are already building their homes, most are temporary, but as we grow we 'll try to put some reason into where they settle. Some will always move with the herds and flock, ye do understand this aye?"

Tessa speaks up again. "I already go to town, what is it ye think ye need of me? Right now the town isna' too keen o' us, when they sell us anythin' the price is higher. But things will change no doubt over time."

Acacius: Dermot, keep the council informed about your work. We wish not to have any conflict with the locals. Also are there any needs of the clan that we could help out with? Just pick out the most important issues.
Tessa, Acacius pause to catch his breath begins to speak but he forgets what he was about to say and starts emitting a sound, uuuuuhhhhh… Then he starts to blush and takes a new breath. Tell us if there is anything you need to help you with your task. We wish to establish good relations with our neighbours.

Tessa and Dermot's eyes widen and jaws drop at Acacius's response. Dermot recovers first. Aggie's lips purse and he pulls his hat low and his collar up at what he knows is coming.

"'Keep the Council informed?'" Dermot states with a tense voice. "Who do ye think ye are? Yer a wizard, what do you know of such things! If we do need something for ye to conjure ye'll be the first we'll go to, but Aggie didna' say anything about keeping the wizards informed as long as we kept food in yer bellies and strangers from botherin' ya. Some of my family might be servants to ye, but I ain't! This is my land! My money! Ye best remember that!" Dermot seems quite upset, strangely it's Tessa that is voice of calm. She holds up a hand to Dermot and speaks quietly.

"Der...Lord Dermot" she ammends quickly. "They are not used to speaking to people, I know, I travelled with him. I know he meant only to be helpful, I'll do as he asks, do not worry yourself Lord." she turns to the wizards. "I'm sure ye wish to know of how we are doing and our success and trials. I can give ye what ye wish to know, is that good? I'll ask the Clan if they need anything and bring it to ye. Acacius, should ye receive this list?" Dermot steps forward again.

"As long as we're on the subject of needs, I've been meeting again with the Reave, and by Summer we need to pay upon the improvement of the land, the first of many payments I assure ye. He'll accept a first payment of 10 pounds. After that, upon the next year it shall be considerably more. Hopefully our flocks will bring in a good haul. I understand ye wish to hold a fair as well? Good...we might need it. Otherwise the Reave will levy an army to drive us off."

At Dermot outburst Acacius drops his jaw and struggle to hold back tears. In an almost whispering voice. I only wish to help… Once Tessa has spoken he replies. Yes please come speak with me about your needs. I can’t promise all but I will help at my best. Reply to Dermot: We will make sure that you have the silver needed to pay. And yes a fair will be held.

Tessa sees the obvious distress that young Acacius is going through and steps forward to take his hand. "Don't ye worry about Lord Dermot, he's a Highlander, he ain't used to anyone telling him anything. And that Reave has been a right royal pain in the arse. I'll report to the Council if ye wish."

Dermot continues, ignoring Acacius's sad face. "There is one thing I'll be speaking with the Council for at some point, that's the money owed to the Reave and future payments as well as the Reave demanding that my able bodied men protect this area as well. He's not talking about making them part of the King's army...yet. But this area is known to get landed upon by the Irish, and if the French invade it could be near here as well. There's a lot of improvements the Reave wants, and wants us to pay for it if we stay. Just informing the Council. If there's nothing else, I'll be on me way, and let you know when i need the 10 pound." he turns on his heel and starts heading up the stairs.

"There is one moe thing. I might be needing a crew for a time to chop down a large tree and help trim all the branches off and bring it back here. The branches will be for clan for firewood but the trunk will be needed down here." Siobhan says softly. "It is going to be for a way to tap the well. If it works, we can see about doing the same for a secondary watersource for the clan. It would be later today or tomorrow."

Dermot pauses as he's about to head up the stairs and turns back at Siobhan's words. "Ye're in luck, we're already logging, ye can probably get what ye need today or tomorrow. Ye can see what the men have brought in and take what ye like, Tessa can help out."

Tessa turns to Siobhan after speaking with Acacius. Looking at her...is that jealousy in her eye? "Aye, we've had to fell several trees, that's part of what we are paying for, these are the king's trees. We should have what ye need, maybe already, if not they can chop another down."

Thank you Tessa, Acacius looks at her. We speak of this report later. You will know where to find me. And remember the list with the needs of the people.

Acacius then speaks to his soldaes. Acacius voice is clearly uneasy. Has we agreed on the tasks then? Siobhan you take care of the well and water supply, I fix light for our covenant, Rhodri you take care of heat and Bjorn finds and catalogue vis sources. Agitatius has already done enough for our covenant. If no-one objects then we shall move on. Have we agreed on the name Celibrates Occultes? And is there anything else that anyone wish that we will speak of? If not then perhaps we can call it a day and move on with our work.

"I don't think hunting down our vis sources will take more than a couple of days. Is there anything else that I should be doing for the season? I'm sure there's something I could be doing to make everyone's lives easier. Perhaps something that would help out the clan?"

"I am fine with Celibrates Occultes."

Rhodri looks pleased but also a bit confused.

"Well thank you for choosing the name I suggested. But...now I'm working on the heating? Very well. I'll create a spell and convert it into a lab text in case you'd like to use it in your own labs."