a new arrival (fall 1220)

Terra waits patiently while everyone trickles in doing her best to impress with her knowledge of magic theory. She takes note of Maffeo's reaction and files it away Right, umm... I'll guess I'll start now if no one has any objections. The plan for building is fairly simple, I have a spell that summons a pyramid of stone and glass, 30 paces on a side, 15 paces high, and 15 paces sunk into the ground. Multiple levels too Its not the sort of thing most magi would want to keep their sanctum in long term, at least without some modification, there is a distinct lack of doors. I'll do my best to make the layout such that there is privacy via clever use of walls, but I doubt it will be perfect. I have the vis to cast it, but I would request either membership in the covenant or some sort of long term guest status if its placed on the coven grounds. Plus if your building a new covenant I'm sure you could use another terram maga.

Terra pets her rabbit.

Euthymios arrives as Terra is discussing the possibility of summoning a building. "I will have to defer to the senior members of this covenant as to this decision, but it would certainly save time."

I probably missed the post. These were in the covenant resources thread from Kingjawa, Flavius and JeanPatrick:

Magic Items:
Cloak of the Night Watch (Eyes of the Cat) 2 BP
Pick that Softens Stone (MuTe15)
Camping Pot for Good Soup (CrIg 15)
Strings of the Atlantean Puppeteer L20
Poseidon's Anchor L40

Lab texts:
Preserver of Magical Ingredients L25 5 BP
Decanter of the undilluted Essence L40 8 BP
Insurance against the Dropped Vial L20 4 BP
The Tireless Servant L40 8 BP

Could you doublecheck and see if they were converted to vis stocks or something else?
Thanks!

OOC: One of them could very easily be the Walking Atlas.

Sorry, I was saying the library was up to date, the items should certainly be somewhere about the caravan...

also note that people do not have the objects that they paid points for- they are community property and are part of the caravans inventory. You cannot 'loan' what is not yours... I have specified this previously but I am thinking it may not have been completely clear...

okay, I missed 4 lab texts for enchantments thinking they were actual enchantments... added, those and the Atlas can be what was found while rummaging for clothes.

[tab][/tab]Maffeo listens as the Northerner woman proposes her bold plan. He nods to himself as she explains what she can do with the building. For certes, as the main covenant building it would not do and it would probably lack grace. As a place to put the other auxiliaries and custos, even temporarily, it would do. Maybe put the library and some workshops there, or even the hospice... it might not be too sanitary to have it inside the main building. He shakes his head, it was not his place to say on the matter and he had little knowledge of how hospitals work. The basements though could be used for storage, he muses staying silent....

OOC Fufufu I like that Atlas, I think I found a new friend

Penko eventually wanders in, obviously irritated at being interrupted with his work. He listens politely to the proposal, but is not positive about it. "Pyramids and Grecian Columns don't exactly match, architecturally. In fact I cannot think of any example where the two forms were ever used. Can you vary the effect to produce a cube, or cast it at a 45 degree angle to achieve the same effect? I suppose we could use it as an interim building, but it sounds like we'd have to work on it anyways, utting doors and the like. I guess it's up to you on whether a pyramid is better than a tent.

He gets mulish for just a moment. "I for one have been just fine in these tents for twenty years. Although I suppose if we do make some pyramids, we can always gussy them up later with some sort of facade so they don't clash so much. Who on earth would create a spell to make pyramids, anyways?!? No one's built pyramids in thousands of years. Give me a nice sturdy column, any day."

Be glad you didn't suggest clashing styles to Paphos; he's an ARTEEST.

She bites back a retort about how that means that pyramids must stand for thousands of years then, and another retort about practicality. It can't be formed into a cube. Casting it at a 45 degree angle wouldn't get the same effect. Its not a cube. So yea, or nay? I'm not sure how your Covenant is governed, even if you don't want the building I'd still like to either join the covenant if possible or stay as a long term guest. But I would like to be a member of the covenant at the edge of the Order. joining quickly might have been a little rash, but worst case scenario is she would have to back out.

Tomas looks at Terra "Maga Terra, there are two issues I see. With regard to the building, there is a bit of a problem. There are several temples not very far under the top of that hill. Temples that are important to us. And since we need the Covenant to extend up there, due to the aura structure, I doubt it could be built as our main structure without creating serious problems. Whether it makes sense for a secondary structure remains to be determined. Nice solid buildings are awfully useful. But some of our people get very concerned about aesthetics. As for membership, while I am inclined to support such, I would prefer not to rush, and we would need Magus Antonious to be here before a formal decision could be made. For now, unless any of these others see a problem, we are happy to have you as a guest of the community."

Terra thinks "I'd still be willing to cast it if it can't fit inside the aura and you would have it. If it clashes with your other buildings too much... well I'd be happy to design a more suitable spell if I was a member of the Covenant. Still, I'm not going to be offended if you don't want it, I just thought it might help. Please don't let me waste my vis if it won't help things." The last bit is in a more joking tone and a smile.

[tab][/tab]Maffeo nods emphatically at Tomas's speech, he supports the new, strange maga's membership (for reasons he probably does not want to explore). He tentatively speaks "[color=blue]Might I interject? I think we should take on the maga's offer for the structure. We can definitely use a permanent, auxiliary place, especial now. My reasoning is this: First, I am concerned with where we can store supplies for this coming winter. Root cellars will do quite nicely and could also store grains and cured meat there. Second, it will give us a place to stay if the weather turns too harsh during the winter. Tents are fine but having a roof over your head is a tad better. In fact, it would also make it easier to recruit more people if we have some sort of place to put them. Third, we could use the space to start some things now; Mundane workshops, kitchens, barracks, that sort of thing. In fact, starting the hospital there now instead of waiting for the building to be finished in some years seems a very good choice. These are my thoughts...."

"I am not certain it would be the best expenditure of vis to cast it now. Not just for aesthetic reasons, but because we have not yet decided such things as how we plan to develop a reliable income for the covenant." Euthymios pauses for a moment to adjust his sleeves before continuing. "And buildings appearing from thin air tend to draw the sort of attention that could threaten any income sources we might develop. There are more subtle uses to which the vis could be put, particularly in the form of enchanted devices."

Tartessos laughs, "I lake and wall just appeared fairly magically overnight due to the heroic efforts of Antonius. I like having drinking water, but think the cat's out of the bag regarding conjurations. It seems that if aesthetics remains our primary objection, why don't we summon the buildings and either modify or remove them 5 to 10 years down the line.

I call for two votes: One on membership for Terra ex Merinita, and a second for conjuring one or more pyramids.

Tartessos votes yes and yes.

[tab][/tab] Maffeo immediately votes yes and yes too

Euthymios slowly nods and casts his vote for yes on both issues.

Without any announcement the entrance is opened and a small athletic man dressed in a dusty chain mail stands there smiling from one ear to the other. “Sodales! I´m back ! And really happy to see you all being well!” He walks over to Thomas and Tartessos and greets them with backslapping still obviously happy to be here.

Loking around he quickly realizes many people around he obviously don´t know.

“I see we have guests! Forgive me my rudeness. I´m Frederic from the glorious house Flambeu and I´m here to place my shield and my sword between these group and anyone who tries to harm them!”

In the following silence everyone eying him ha starts to feel a bit unconvortable.

“Oh, it seems I interrupted you! So just go ahead. We can exchange the latest news later!” Still Broadly smiling he helps himself with a beer and takes a deep pull.
:smiley:

Tartessos will be the first to get up and give Frederic a welcome home hug. It's been a good two years since Tartessos was called away, and he incorrectly assumed Frederic had left the caravan permanently, like so many others. "Another Prodigal returns! Welcome home, brother! It seems we are rebuilding the caravan even faster than it dissolved. Tell me, what are your thoughts on pyramids?" On that non sequiter, he'll fill in Frederic on the debate and vote at hand.

On one hand I really would prefer to keep a low profile, on the other we clearly need some sort of fortification. Obviously it is already too late for the low profile. This makes the need of a solid building even more important. Terra seems to be the only one who has the right spell at hand. So it seems to be wise to offer her membership. But tell me where is Antonius? I really like to hear his opinion before I place my vote.
This is clearly an important decision for us and I don´t see any reason to rush. A few hours more shouldn´t be a problem.

Antonius, his clothes covered in a mud dried to various level, and smelling strongly perspiration, will enter the meeting some time afterwards. He will go straight to Flavius and will greet him with an accolade:

"Ah ! I was told that a magus arrived at the covenant today ! How were your travel, Flavius ? Burned some interesting things along the way ?", the magus will say jokingly.

He will then notice the woman, dressed in furs, at the far end of the room.

"Who is this woman?"

After receiving details about Terra and her plans, he will go introduce himself to her.

"Salve Terra Ex Merinita, I am Antonius Ex Bonisagus. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I was told you are quite talented in the art of terram ? Maybe after you are settled, you could give me a hand with the contruction of the wall, which I agree was not erected in the most sutble manner. But you know, so is usually casting spells."

He will then sit on a chair, and pour water in a wooden cup, and drink it in one go.

"About the project of raising a pyramids, I don't necessarily disagree, if this is what you wish to have as a residence, altough pyramids are usually more for the dead than the living. However, I would need to be conjured elsewhere then over the temples. They stood for hundreds of years and are probably the source of the powerful aura on this hill. Destroying to conjure a pyramid seems rather sacrilegious to me...plus it is my understanding that Penko has already produced plans for a beautiful hospital, which I am sure he'd be more than happy to show you."

[tab][/tab]Maffeo watches from the edge of the crowd the reunion between the elder magi. He makes some notes with his wax stylus, adding two more magi rations for food, supplies and tents, plus a note reminder for Penko and Paphos that another two full laboratories will be needed.