Adelbert, a "Magi of Hermes" look at intellego and Astrology

I'd think it would work fine. Mentem is also for dealing with ghosts, after all, so I don't see any issues with not having the right Form in there. And Hearing should be fine as the Whispers must be something mundane in terms of an auditory transport or Parma would block them and they wouldn't be heard by everybody within range.

When I read that, I pictured it as something more limited in visibility, like an image floating just above the haft of the weapon, right along where you'd line it up with your eye to aim. A CrMe version would be all in your head, so to speak, so no worries about anybody eavesdropping without InMe.

I do to.

OK then here is take 3 on the last two seasons of the 0-15 years after apprenticeship period.

One season Learning Ear of Truth from laboratory notes this gives him 8 sets of laboratory notes over the course of 15 years. A bit more than once every two years. All of the spells are ones that his house would want him to know to better accomplish his duties so I'm not feeling too bad about it, even so I think that I am not all that far from the point where I'd start to require some additional justification for the parade of lab texts marching through his hands. (This saves me a season later in his development where I can try and fit the aiming enchantment back in)

One season enchanting the following effect in the crossbow

Is that balanced for a level 10 effect? (it would be level 15 as a spell). I made the bonuses and penalties a bit smaller than the last version and I pushed the range required to receive a bonus out a bit.

[size=150]Adelbert at 15 years out of apprenticeship[/size]
Characteristics: Int +2, Per +3, Pre 0, Com 0, Str -2, Sta +1, Dex 0, Qik 0
Size: 0
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 2(5)
Confidence Score: 1 (3)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift; Hermetic Magus Affinity Artes Liberales, Affinity Intellego, Affinity Magic Theory Cautious with Artes Liberales, Educated, Hermetic Prestige*, Keen Vision, Planetary Magic, Puissant Intellego, Puissant Magic Theory, Restriction Complete Darkness, Astrological mutable flawed magic resistance (vim and mentem,)Busybody, Cyclic Magic negative (nighttime), Deleterious Circumstances (underground), Fear of Darkness, Incompatible arts (CrIg and ReIg)
[size=85]*Free virtue for House membership.[/size]

Personality Traits: rumor hound +3, protective of other magi +2, protective of his children +2
Reputations: Quaesitor investigator +3
Combat:
Brawl (fist): Init 0, Attack +1, Defense +1, Damage 0
Brawl (bludgeon) : Init 0, Attack +3, Defense +1, Damage +2
Soak: +1
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, –1, –3, –5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: –1 (1–5), –3 (6–10), –5 (11–15), Incapacitated (16–20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Athletics 1 (running), Artes Liberales 5 (Astrology), Awareness 4 (searching), Brawl 1 (dodge), Code of Hermes 1 ((political intrigue), Concentration 3 (spell concentration), Finesse 3(aimed spells), Folk Ken 1 (monks), Intrigue 1(rumor mongering), Italian 5 (Tyrol dialect), Latin 5 (Hermetic use), Magic Theory 7 +2 (3) (enchanting items),Magoi of the Star lore 2 (conducting initiations), Parma Magica 3 (Ignem),Penetration 2 (9) (Mentem), Philosophae 2 (ceremonial magic), Portuguese 3) (grogs), Profession Scribe 1(copying hermetic texts), Stealth 1 (hide),
Arts: Cr 7, In 15 +3 (3), Mu 0, Pe 0, Re 7; An 0, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 4, He 2, Ig 0, Im 4, Me 11, Te 2, Vi 11
Twilight Scars: N/A
Equipment: (2 pawns of intellego vis in the form of small scrolls that contain short written excerpts of Virgil translated into ten or more languages languages.
Encumbrance: 0
Spells Known:
Eyes of the Cat (MuCo 5/+5)
Whispers Through the Black Gate (InCo(Me) 15/+23)
The Inexorable Search (InCo 20/+23)
Engraving the Whole of Experience (InIm 10/+23)
Refresh the Engravings of Imagination (CrMe 20/+19)
Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie (InMe 20/+30)
Posing the Silent Question (InMe 20/+30)
See the Strike (InMe 25/+30)
Thoughts Within Babble (InMe 25/+30)
Ear of Truth (InMe 30/+30)
Peering Into the Mortal Mind (InMe 30/+30)
Sounds of Aggression (InMe 30/+30)
Invisible Sling of Vilano (ReTe 10/+10)
Bitter taste of Betrayal (InVi 15/+33)
Impression of the Faded Sigil (InVi 30/+33)
Sense the lingering magics (InVi 30/+33)
Odor of lingering magic (InVi 30/+33)
Sight of the Active Magics (InVi 40/+33)

Appearance: Adelbert is a thin man of Mediterranean appearance. He frequently dresses in robes emphasizing his position as a Quaesitor.
Sigil: all of Adelbert's spells involve thematic elements of eyes or vision

I didn't list the crossbow because he has given it to his son.

The next 15 years(16-30) he’ll finish the crossbow early, grab lots of standard intellego spells (esp in intellego imaginem), and, at the end, do a second initiation. This was a relatively easy period to do, he still has lots of common bread and butter spells that he should probably learn for his specialty, he doesn’t yet have the arts for teaching an apprentice, he hasn’t found a familiar yet, he isn’t yet making a talisman, etc.
Here is Adelbert’s experience expenditure; once again I’m just listing them here first. I am not assuming ten years of uninterrupted study followed by five years straight of lab work, it’s just how I’m calculating it.

Artes Liberales to 7 44
Magoi of the Star Lore to 3 15
Parma Magica to 5 45
Organization lore (OOH) 1 5
Faerie Lore 1 5
Infernal lore 1 5
Magic Lore 1 5
Spell Mastery Sight of the Active Magics 1 5
Concentration to 4 20

Intellego to 18 34
Muto to 6 21
Perdo to 6 21
Imaginem to 8 26
Corpus to 8 26
Animal to 5 15
Auram to 3 6
Magic Theory gets 3 more xp 2

300 experience total

First I'll continue with the crossbow enchantments
this is two seasons

two seasons for this one as well

One season on this one and one season on the next. I think the weirdness of my previous take on the effect is that the crossbow targets the user who then learns about what the crossbow will do to the arrows with respect to the wind. that is a lot of moving parts for one spell. While I'm still not completely decided that it wasn't OK this doesn't take any longer to enchant and it seems to eliminate the difficulty of one effect taking so many things into account. (and I adjusted the bonuses).

that's two and a half years on a crossbow that he doesn't personally use. But it will hopefully make his son valuable enough that any of the magi he travels with will care greatly about his protection.

Nice. :slight_smile: I like the crossbow. However, I would also see him having a verditius sell him a hauberk of quality (+7 extra protection) for his son. I would be concerned for my son's health if he was to go around with magicians, so maintaining him healthy would be a priority.

Cheers,
Xavi

I can certainly see him doing that as well, but it takes place off stage for the purposes of this discussion. Adelbert has three kids, at least two of which follow their mother and become grogs, so he has lots of expenses to attempt to lesson the danger that his children put themselves in.

Only one new spell for this period, that’s not very magi of Hermes like, sorry.
I don't feel that it makes sense in character to reinvent similar spells. Furthermore, focusing on a technique rather than a magical focus or even a form provides an especially large number of pretty foundational spells that really fit with the theme of what the character would want to do.

Five spells from lab notes at one season each

Sense the Feet that Tread the Earth InTe 30
Summoning the Distant Image InIm25
Discern the Images of Truth and Falsehood InIm35
Eye of the Sage InCo 30
Sight of the Molting Magus InCo 25’

He’ll develop five more without the help of lab notes

Eyes of the Eagle InIm 25 in two seasons (his lab total is 44 he was really close to being able to do it in one season)
Wizard’s Communion MuVi18 2 seasons
Whole from the Part InCo 20 1 season
Open the Tome of the Animal’s Mind InAn 25 2 seasons
and the new spell in one season

I put this at base three rather than base 4. For several intellego guidelines (Herbam, Aquam) there is a learn location option that is a lower level than the learn information option. It seemed to me that being able to see a body should be lower level than determining what diseases the body suffers from. This is an arguable point and I’d be willing to consider arguments against it.

That's 13 seasons for the spells and six seasons for the crossbow leaving one for the next initiation.

The second initiation is the one that I am the least happy with so I’d be happy to alter it (I like it a bit better now that I’ve rewritten it from my draft).

Using the date of his or her gauntlet and the location of their laboratory a starting point the initiate calculates a series of six times and places to go and observe the night sky (calculations ensure that the locations will be no more than 100 miles from their laboratory). These calculations require an Artes Liberales(astronomy)+intelligence total of at least 7 to perform. The initiate must visit these locations and crate a magical record the stars as observed at that point, this recording must be detailed and exact. Adelbert uses his imaginem and mentem spells to accomplish the task, but other initiates have developed spells to record the sky as a painting or as a creo imaginem image. The initiatete must then return to their laboratory and compute how several of the smaller stars that were particularly noticeable at the observation points would have looked at the hour of their birth and how if they were projected to the earth they would have been influenced by the stars and planets at that time. The initiate then takes all of their calculations and transfers 12 pawns of vis into them then burns them slowly symbolically removing the influences of their birth house from their birth and bringing them into their laboratory.

By undergoing this quest the initiate gains the virtue minor magical potency in his or her birth house.

Special place and time +3
Specified quest +3
Sacrifice of wealth +1
First initiation following an ordeal +2
Sympathy bonus +1 (or should it be +2?)
Does getting one's intelligence + astronomy up to 7 count as anything?(sacrifice of time, the most boring quest ever)

I rolled randomly for his birth house I got the house of Genitor. This means a potency with Parents, childhood homes, and seclusion. It isn’t a potency that brings tons of ideas to mind (I came up with a few things using seclusion for the next time period), but very few of the houses are (the one including death and especially the one that includes restriction are exceptions)

[size=150]Adelbert at 30 years out of apprenticeship[/size]
Characteristics: Int +2, Per +3, Pre 0, Com 0, Str -2, Sta +1, Dex 0, Qik 0
Size: 0
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 4
Confidence Score: 1 (3)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift; Hermetic Magus Affinity Artes Liberales, Affinity Intellego, Affinity Magic Theory Cautious with Artes Liberales, Educated, Hermetic Prestige*, Keen Vision, Planetary Magic, Potent Magic minor, astrological house of Genitor, Puissant Intellego, Puissant Magic Theory, Restriction Complete Darkness, Astrological mutable flawed magic resistance (vim and mentem,)Busybody, Cyclic Magic negative (nighttime), Deleterious Circumstances (underground), Fear of Darkness, Incompatible arts (CrIg and ReIg)
[size=85]*Free virtue for House membership.[/size]

Personality Traits: rumor hound +2, protective of other magi +2, protective of his children +2, defensive of the code of Hermes +1
Reputations: Quaesitor,investigator +3 (order), Skilled with intellego magic +1 (tribunal)
Combat:
Brawl (fist): Init 0, Attack +1, Defense +1, Damage 0
Brawl (bludgeon) : Init 0, Attack +3, Defense +1, Damage +2
Soak: +1
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, –1, –3, –5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: –1 (1–5), –3 (6–10), –5 (11–15), Incapacitated (16–20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Athletics 1 (running), Artes Liberales 7 (Astronomy), Awareness 4 (searching), Brawl 1 (dodge), Code of Hermes 1 ((political intrigue), Concentration 4 (spell concentration), Faerie Lore 1 (faeries that interact with the order of hermes), Finesse 3(aimed spells), Folk Ken 1 (monks), Infernal Lore 1 (demons that interact with the order of hermes), Intrigue 1(rumor mongering), Italian 5 (Tyrol dialect), Latin 5 (Hermetic use), Magic Lore 1 (regios), Magic Theory 7 +2 (6) (enchanting items),Magoi of the Star lore 3 (conducting initiations), Organization Lore Order of Hermes 1, Parma Magica 5 (Ignem), Penetration 2 (9) (Mentem), Philosophae 2 (ceremonial magic), Portuguese 3) (grogs), Profession Scribe 1(copying hermetic texts), Stealth 1 (hide),
Arts: Cr 7, In 18 +3, Mu 6, Pe 6, Re 7, An 5, Aq 0, Au 3, Co 8, He 2, Ig 0, Im 8, Me 11, Te 2, Vi 11
Twilight Scars: N/A
Equipment: 3 pawns of intellego vis in the form of a mirror that reflects what is likely to happen in 3 seconds rather than what is happening now
Encumbrance: 0
Spells Known:
Open the Tome of the Animal's Mind (InAn 25/+27)
Eyes of the Cat (MuCo 5/+15)
Whispers Through the Black Gate (InCo(Me) 15/+30)
The Inexorable Search (InCo 20/+30)
Unwavering Sight of Flesh (InCo 20/+30)
Whole from the Part (InCo 20/+30)
Sight of the Molting Magus (InCo 25/+30)
Eye of the Sage (InCo 30/+30)
Engraving the Whole of Experience (InIm 10/+30)
Eyes of the Eagle (InIm 25/+30)
Summoning the distant Image (InIm 25/+30)
Discern the Images of Truth and Falsehood (InIm 35/+30)
Refresh the Engravings of Imagination (CrMe 20/+19)
Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie (InMe 20/+33)
Posing the Silent Question (InMe 20/+33)
See the Strike (InMe 25/+33)
Thoughts Within Babble (InMe 25/+33)
Ear of Truth (InMe 30/+33)
Peering Into the Mortal Mind (InMe 30/+33)
Sounds of Aggression (InMe 30/+33)
Sense the Feet that Tread the Earth (InTe 30/+24)
Invisible Sling of Vilano (ReTe 10/+10)
Bitter taste of Betrayal (InVi 15/+33)
Impression of the Faded Sigil (InVi 30/+33)
Sense the Lingering Magics (InVi 30/+33)
Odor of Lingering Magic (InVi 30/+33)
Sight of the Active Magics (InVi 40/+34)(Mastery 1, acute sense)
Wizard's Communion (MuVi 18/+18)

Appearance: Adelbert is a thin man of Mediterranean appearance. He frequently dresses in robes emphasizing his position as a Quaesitor.
Sigil: all of Adelbert's spells involve thematic elements of eyes or vision

I just realized that you did not list your level 3 Reputation.

Corrected

Adelbert has most of his bases covered in regards to being able to investigate hermetic crimes (except for restore the faded threads). He will spend some time getting more acute sense masteries to detect magical alteration of evidence, and he'll get his arts up to the level where he can teach an apprentice. For Adelbert's priorities lab work and such he is going to invent some effects to take advantage of his new spell potency, he is going to bind a familiar, and he is going to undergo another initiation.

Here is 10 years worth of xp (formatting got a bit weird when copying from excel)

Magic theory to 8 24
Spell mastery Impression of the Faded Sigil 5
Spell mastery Odor of Lingering Magic 5
Awareness to 5 25
Mystery Cult lore to 4 20
Spell mastery Ear of Truth 15
Penetration to 3 15
Order of Hermes lore to 2
Code of Hermes to 2
Medicine to 2 15
One more xp in Magic theory (earning 2 from affinity) 1

Intellego to 21 40
Mentem to 14 39
Vim to 13 25
Rego to 8 8
Auram to 5 9
ignem to 5 15
Herbam to 5 12
Terram to 4 7

Edit: I changed things to fit in some study of medicine

This is for the next initiation

Hum...
If I were you, I'd take a look at the spells to tell astrological time in TMRE, and take something like that, plus a Rego and Corpus requisites.

Isn't there a spell or effect called "track the heavens", or something like that?

Track the heavens is intellego Vim base 10 rather than intellego imagonem. It would sense the effects of the heavens on magic rather than reflect the images that are visible in the sky. That would be more reliable, in that it would work in cloudy conditions. I was looking at imaginem because the initiation has poor Adelbert spending a month on a mountain top above a great proportion of the clouds. I don't see why having a smarter effect would need to change anything.

I wonder if the pimples et al. are purely cosmetic, like the mist in Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie. That would make the Rego requisite unnecessary.

The next initiation is the degree of Mars and the virtue of Periapt. (The name of the virtue to create periapts is periapt not periapts).

The initiate spends a season studying medicine and learning of the four humors, specifically in how they relate to hermetic astrology, then they develop a spell or effect that allows them to track the heavens within their body. They must next travel to a particular mountain in the alps and climb to the summit. The initiate must arrive at the rise of the full moon nearest to their birthday and spend one complete cycle of the moon on this summit above most of the clouds observing the heavens and feeling how the heavens change the four humors inside of his or her body. (getting provisions for an entire month up to a mountaintop is often a challenging issue for even magi). The imitate learns instinctively how astrological forces change him or her minute to minute and they comprehend how astrological forces can alter enchantment minute to minute. This instinctive understanding can be coupled with the initiate's knowledge of astrology to make the creation of charged devices incorporating astrology much more efficient.
+4 Spend 1 season being taught medicine by the mystagogue (+1 for initiate's time +3 for mystigogue's time)
+1 spend one or more seasons creating an appropriate spell or effect
+3 special place and special time
+1 second initiation following ordeal
+1 sympathy

I believe that I agree with this thought. Here's version number three.

How does he pay for the mystagogue's time?