After the Pirate Queen (Spring 1221)

You enter the cave with your light and begin to head towards the prisoner, but are filled with an uneasy feeling- everyone roll per+awareness (hearing based)

You can roll for me silveroak. I will spend one confidence point if what I roll isnt enough.

Garcin: Per 1 + aware 2 + roll 1 (8) = 19
Bavol: Per 0 + Aware 3 + roll 6 = 9
Pepe: Per 3 + aware 4 + roll 0(5) = fail, no botch
Oderisi: Per -1 + aware 0 + roll 9 = 8

Almosr forgot Julia!
Per 5 + Awareness 3 + roll = 1(6) = 20, plus she still has Sight Beyond Sight active which includes hearing

I seem to be rolling exceptionally good, or exceptionally bad today with little in between.

Julia and Garcin hear the sound of shifting dirt behind the party, and if something large were being dragged sporadically a ways behind them.

what does Julia see from where the sound is coming from (using Sight beyond Sight)?

It is dark, but Julia makes out the glint of the light ahead (where she actually is) off of slitted eyes, something green and smooth and glistening, like scales, and teeth- fanged teeth. Overall impression is that of a snake roughly 20' in length.

She sighs at the though of the violence to come, and warns the others.

"It does not have to end in bloodshed, Julia. I we could lure out the beast out of its cave and into a pit, then we could press ahead and rescue Mattheus.What do you think?

"It's worth a try," She says as she watches nearly a dozen men ready weapons and tighten straps on armor.

What pit are you planning on luring the serpent into?

I would think about 20ft deep, maybe 20ft wide near the entrance of the cavern. The plan would be to cover the hole with a magical slab (concentration duration) of rock covered with dirt so as to look like the surronding ground. When the snake is over the pit and the person that will lure it has crossed to the other, concentration is broken and hopefuly the snake fall into the pit and will be trapped down below.

So what is the immediate plan? The serpent is about 20 yards behind you and apparently following you...

Frederic will place himself between the serpent and the group. To see if the snake could be stopped by fire, he will create a bonfire on the ground using spont magic.
Base 4, +1 Touch, +1 Conc.=10
Ct25+ die 9 = 34/2 = 17

coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.php?rollid=101176

You note there is an aura that provides a +2 bonus. The serpent recoils from the bonfire, pauses for a second then turns around and heads away.

“Let´s move forward to our merchant.”

Frederic casts “vision of heats light” and “Gift of the Bears fortitude” on himself, and moves to the front position to follow the way sketched on the map. He has his Shield and sword ready, and moves carefully forward.

You follow the map further towards the prisoner's chamber, passing through several intersections of caverns. Before long someone again notices the serpent slithering up behind.

This time Frederic shots a “Pilum of fire closely in front of the serpent.”
“This is my final warning! If you try to eat one of us I will cut you in pieces!"

After the action is over, Garcin will draw Flavius aside and whisper to him. "Senor, I appreciate your desire to lead fro the front, and it truly makes you a an worth serving. But I have seven men whose sole purpose is to give you enough time to cast your spells, and they are huddled in back like children hiding behind a woman's skirt. Please, let us take point.

Assuming Flavius agrees, Garcin will split the squad in two, one group for the front, one to ring up the rear with magi and non-combatants in the middle.

The serpent slithers away again.

Antonius looks at Julia and let out a small sigh.

"At least we tried...."

He quickly glance at the armed sailors that are closing the march (in latin):

"We have to make sure that nobody will be harmed. We need to be even more on our guards than usual. Honestly, even if the darkness of this cave does not impede my vision, the passages are so tortuous that if these creatures decide to ambush us, they will probably succeed. Still, let us do our best, Julia. "