Ancient History (Spring 1242)

I begrudgingly did well in that. And everything I did just frustrated the referee. Oddly enough, go figure, I am not into combat sports. I prefer to kick a ball around :smiley:
I do like Certamen using the Test of Flames though, which is just as dangerous I suppose.
But I saw a guy murdered in Dimicatio once. If you were there in Normandy 1227, then you saw that. I dunno. I like the old ways.
By the way, might I obtain invitation for my familiar as well? The cat next to me wearing the jacket looking like a cartoon. :mrgreen:
meow

Roberto enters all humble with his head bowed.
Tio, it is good to see you again after so many years. I have come to you call to pledge heart and hand to your service.
These are my friends from Andorra, Madam Pontifex Arachne and my sodale Lucas of Mercere. And this is Cidito, my familiar. They are hear to listen to what is needed, and we have further supporters and resources at Andorra we will draw upon.
What is the situation at hand?

As the door opens, Santiago looks up from where he's currently reviewing a pile of letters. He's not a handsome man by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, to be perfectly honest, he's downright homely. But he has a certain charisma that goes beyond his looks, an aura of command. He wears a a doublet of dark red in a military cut, soft dark woolen trousers, and black boots. His tunic is similar to those worn by the soldiers at Campo de Marte, but not identical. And, as with the soldiers outside, the symbol of House Flambeau is subtly woven into the fabric of the tunic.

"Thank you for coming so quickly, Roberto, son of my heart." He stands and goes over to grasp Roberto in a manly hug. "It's been too long since we've seen each other. Far too long. But I forget my manners." He offers a nod of his head first to Arachné, then to Lucas, and finally to Cidito. "Thank you all for coming," he says to the others. "It is good to see that Roberto has found loyal sodales. But please, have a seat. Diego, ask someone to send up some wine." The other magus nods and departs, closing the door behind him.

"I called you here because of a threat to the Order," Santiago begins dramatically. "Or at least it could become a threat to the Order in time." His piercing eyes scan each of the visitors. "Do you know of Darius of Tytalus?[sup]1[/sup]" he asks after a moment. All of the magi have heard different rumors of the man. But they all amount to the same thing. He likes to skate along the edge of the rules of the Order, but hasn't managed to cross the line too far. The word 'yet' hangs silently off the end of the sentence.

"I see that you do," he replies, clearly a good judge of expressions. "Well, he and I have had our run ins over the years. I've nearly killed him three times, and he's done the same to me twice. He's canny and ruthless, and has his fingers in a number of plots. He has resources both magical and mundane and is extremely dangerous to the wrong people." He smiles and adds. "He considers me 'the wrong people.'"

"Unfortunately, he's managed to outmaneuver me this time - at least temporarily - and I would like your help to put things right. But no, I should start at the beginning." He pauses as there is a knock at the door. A soldier enters with a simple wooden tray that has a pitcher of wine and four glasses. He sets it down on the table and quickly departs. Santiago pours the wine for everyone and resumes his story.

"Things began two years ago in the Roman Tribunal. A sodales of mine - a brilliant Bonisagus maga named Flavia - discovered some lost information about the Cult of Mercury. Knowing I was a Knight of Seneca, and that we knights are both extremely capable and willing to investigate mysteries, she asked for my help. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say that I was able to recover some cult artifacts for her. She's been examining them for most of the last year, and just a few weeks ago, Flavia finally sent word that she'd made an important breakthrough regarding the Cult of Mercury and needed my help to investigate it. She didn't say what it was, but she implied that it could be big. Unfortunately, she disappeared shortly thereafter. I'm not even certain whether she's dead or alive. Knowing Darius, I fear the worst. But just in case, I have some other people working in the Italian States looking for her."

"Thankfully, Darius was sloppy. He made a mistake and I jumped on it. I've been able to learn where he's taken her research. Apparently it wasn't as straightforward as he'd hoped, and he's had to have some experts work to decipher it. I don't know how far they've come with that, but they could finish any day now. It's vital that we retrieve her notes before they finish deciphering them. And once we have those notes, I'll need help investigating whatever they reveal. I owe Flavia that much."

"The main trouble is that Darius' experts are at the University of Paris, right in the heart of the Paris Dominion. Magic will be hard, and they will certainly have mundane defenses. It's not a task for just any magus, which is why I sent for you, Roberto. I'd go myself, of course, but I have to deal with Darius. I need to slow him down, delay his plans to exploit Flavia's discovery however I can. I might just declare Wizard's War against him. It wouldn't be the first time. But that's my problem. What I need from you is to go to Paris and get that research back. Do you think you can do it?"

[hr][/hr]
[sup]1[/sup] - Darius has a Reputation +5 for being a troublemaker in the Order.
Roberto: Reputation check: 1D10+7 = [4]+7 = 11
Lucas: Reputation check: 1D10+8 = [5]+8 = 13
Arachné: Reputation check: 1D10+7 = [6]+7 = 13

It shall be done. fraternal embrace
I will need to gather from you as much intelligence as I can about the target objective. How to recognize it, how to identify the ones working with it, what they know about it, what their potential interests are, what they are capable of, and on down the line. As much information as possible. Victory is in the preparation. Perhaps you have a knowledgeable associate you could assign to my team. And a couple of your elite grogs would be cool :slight_smile:. Allen just retired with his wife Wen to raise kids on a farm.
8)

"I don't have a great deal of information," Santiago replies. "I intercepted a note that gives a name, Andreas Forratus, and a college in the University of Paris that he's supposed to teach at. My sources tell me that the men who stole Flavia's notes have retreated to Paris to consult him, so I expect his chambers are a good starting place to try and find the notes. I"m afraid I don't know exactly who the men are - Darius works with a great variety of agents. But it's fair to say that they'll be quite capable, and that at least one will be a magus. You can expect them to be ruthless in their goals and likely to show you no mercy if they find out who you're working with. As to the papers themselves ... they'll be hermetic papers, which can't be that common at the University of Paris. You'll have to use your best judgement as to whether they're the right ones. But if you find hermetic notes being guarded by a host of armed men, then it's a fair bet you've found the right ones."

"Diego knows as much as anyone in this matter. I'll release him to help you however he can. And you're welcome to a couple of my soldiers as well. But the trick will be getting them where they need to be. We're a long way from Paris here. And as I said, time is of the essence."

I have a flying carpet :mrgreen:
And Lucas has access to the Mercere Portal Network in Normandy. I am not sure if you are hooked into the Iberian network yet. If you are, and have townhouse setup in the suburbs of Barcelona, that works.

"True, that may help," Santiago admits. "I can't expect you all to get to Paris as fast as the three of you got here. But I urge you not to waste any time. It's of the essence in this matter. Bad things could start happening very soon."

For the next half hour or so Santiago passes along what more information he has, which is not much. But he expresses confidence that Roberto and his sodales will be up to the task. "Paris is a bit far from Cunfin," Lucas says. "But I have been there before, and I do speak the language. That ought to help." And though he doesn't mention it, it's clear that his Gentle Gift will also allow him to walk about without drawing too much attention.

By the end of the half hour Diego and two elite guards have shown up, each with a small pack they say includes less conspicuous clothes.

"Is there anything else you need, Roberto? Arachné? Lucas?" He looks at all the magi in turn. "If not, I'll leave you in Diego's competent hands and get on with making Darius' life miserable."

[hr][/hr]
I goofed and forgot to mention that when Santiago greeted you all, he would have offered each of the magi a guest token. My bad. Consider that the three of you each have one.

[quote]
"Is there anything else you need, Roberto? Arachné? Lucas?" He looks at all the magi in turn. "If not, I'll leave you in Diego's competent hands and get on with making Darius' life miserable.
Let me take a quick inventory of what we have...

• A Clear Objective
  • An infodump of all available information concerning said objective.
  • A Flambeau magus of undetermined age and experience, who has knowledge of the infodump just received.
  • Two elite grogs of Allen & Albert quality. I shall call them Alex and Alphonse. :smiley:
  • A means by which to portal to Barcelona, then take the network back to Andorra. We are on our own from there.

Santiago, my old friend, I do have a request for one more thing. A cask of your local wine for my collection. Andorra favors the northern grape, while I yearn for the stronger sweeter taste of Iberian vine.
:smiley:

"The wine is one thing I can give you without any trouble," Santiago replies. "Were that I could give you more that would help you in your task. But I am sure that you will succeed. For I know you would not disappoint me." He smiles. "Now, we must both away to our respective tasks." He gives Roberto another manly hug and shakes the hands of the other magi. "Diego will see to the wine and to any of your other needs. Be safe, and be quick."

OOC: ironboundtome will be joining us, playing the part of Diego. Welcome IBT.

OOC: (wave hello). Assuming no more questions for Santiago.

Diego gestures for you to follow his lead out of the chamber, "Please this way". The guardsmen straighten as your group moves to the door, when through another is on hand to run the errand for the barrel, "bring a hefty barrel of wine from the stores." He leads the group to a small clearing near the villa, overlooking part of the camp. As he walks an eagle lands on his outstretched forearm.

Turning to the group "Alex and Alphonse have more than enough experience with magic, so the use of the carpet will be excellent." He looks open impressed by the thought of the carpet, and when smiling his face is pleasant and attractive. Diego is currently armed and armored like the other guardsmen, although his uniform's markings probably indicate an officer rank.

"So if I understand properly, the plan is for the three of you" Lucas gestures at Diego and the guards, "to head by carpet to Barcelona and the portal network. Then from Barcelona you'll head to Dragon's Rest via Harco. Paris is about halfway between Dragon's Rest and Cunfin, but Dragon's Rest is a portal jump closer."

"Meanwhile, the three of us," he gestures at himself, Roberto and Arachné, "return to Andorra so that Roberto can assemble his team and meet you at Dragon's Rest. From there it's on to Paris."

"Does that sound right, Roberto?"

Ooh, you shouldn't have told me!
Since these are unreliable to her, she was imagining way more complicated things, and would have tried to learn how they did it, only to be disappointed by something so "mundane" :laughing:

(As I said in the other thread, I'm sorry, but I'll be unavailable again from wednesday to monday, don't worry)

Nope. You have it all confused. Though that is an option (in case I Markoko am misunderstanding things). This covenant is part of the Iberia network. We can all portal straight from here to Barcelona then Andorra. There we will organize ourselves. Then we go to Paris by Carpet and/or portals.

This is one reason I've been trying to get the portal network figured out (http://andorra.wikidot.com/mercere-portals). :slight_smile:

I was unaware of any Mercere portals in Campo de Marte or Paris. Am I incorrect in that? I'm certainly willing to believe that my knowledge of what's connected by Mercere portal is incomplete. If so, I'll update my list on the wiki.

The Iberian network was never updated. There is one, but Campomartes might not have set their spot up yet. So I can go either way. We have carpet :mrgreen:

How about we go with no portal quite yet. We went through the whole rigmarole of determining who could Leap here, which would have been superfluous if we could have come by portal...

What about Paris? Is there a portal in the city or nearby? If not, Dragon's Rest or Cunfin would be the nearest ones (about equidistant).

So, without much fanfare, Roberto sends Diego and the two soldiers off to Barcelona on his carpet, while he, Arachné, and Lucas teleport back to Andorra to make further plans. Given travel times, Diego, Alex, and Alphonse should arrive in Andorra sometime in the early evening.

[hr][/hr]
I'm not worried about LoH rolls. It's non-stress, so the worst that happens is some lost Fatigue.

So what's the next step?

Roberto and Cidito ride along with them :smiley:

Very well ...

Arachné and Lucas teleport back to Andorra, while the others travel by carpet to Barcelona.

About an hour after sunset, Roberto, Diego, and the two soldiers appear through the Mercere portal from Harco.

Along the way, Roberto compares notes with Diego. Talk about similar and unique experiences we may both have had. Jokes about Santiago. Talk tactics and strategy. Example Conversation starters...

• I've known Santiago since the Shadow wars. Before that even. We have seen some rough times. Did he ever talk about it? That man is the living definition of stoic honor.
  • This carpet design. Oestridez of Bonisagus out of Egypt. I've been to the Sahara twice now! I've explored an undersea city, fell in love with a mermaid, helped to expose a corrupt Quaesitor in Normandy, been to Greece and fought against the Witches of Thesally, subdued a band of pirates and turned them to the defense of my covenant back then, um, dud some stuff and some other stuff.
  • What's your take on the age old debate about battle axes versus poison daggers? What do you think the writer meant?
  • Entisomon was right. Fire is a very effective tool. Ignem in general. I have been trying to branch out. I know a few cold spells, been working on Terram.

The actual intent is to get a gauge on Diego, find out what kind of man and magus he is.