Antoine of Verditius (Development)

That's partly right. You create a new Antoine of Verditius thread with the final version, but I think the only version you need to keep up to date is on the wiki. And Fixer will probably create the wiki version for you once you post your final version, because Fixer is awesome. :slight_smile:

A few comments on the final version...

• I think his plan to give an enchanted item to Isolde's father is technically a breach of the Peripheral Code. There are ways around it, such as giving it to him via an intermediary, but it's something to consider.
  • Please include the description of the ring's minor flaw.
  • He has 28 pawns of vis, but 12 of them are Technique vis. When you earn vis during chargen, that vis is assumed to be Form vis. In the Hermetic economy, one pawn of Technique vis is equal in value to two pawns of Form vis. If he earned his Muto and Rego vis during chargen, he'll have half as much as currently listed.
  • This one's just my opinion, but he seems a little young to even be thinking about taking an apprentice. For comparison, Vocis was 21 years out of Gauntlet when he started training Micaela.

Otherwise he looks great.

Done! :smiley:
andorra.wikidot.com/antoine-of-verditius

Arf :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Thanks, that's pretty nice.

Well, he still has a long way to go to have all his arts to 5, so I wouldn't worry about it: For the time being, it's more a dream than anything else. Afterwards... Well, he probably won't even get there :laughing:

Is it? Which part? I only have the minimal code as in the core book.

Ack, Wilco.

oops, I missed that. I'll adjust.

• This one's just my opinion, but he seems a little young to even be thinking about taking an apprentice. For comparison, Vocis was 21 years out of Gauntlet when he started training Micaela.
    [/quote]
    Yeah, I guessed that. I was just looking for something plausible to do with my last seasons. Learning my deficient arts seemed believable.

Thanks! :smiley:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for transferring to the wiki!

That is correct. Then it is incumbent upon Vocis (Fightmaster) to introduce you to the covenant. I propose Winter 1235 as a good season for that.

Yep, that's why I mentioned it. Someone else will have to provide the reference. Details of the Peripheral Code are scattered around too many books for me to remember where I read it.

That seems to be a grey area at worst, but giving an item, especially to a family member (or prospective family member) seems to be legit. Houses of Hermes: Mystery Cults (p. 111) says: "in 1061, ... the Order ruled that Hermetic magi could no longer sell their created devices directly to mundane society. They could, however, use unGifted intermediaries to continue these sales." It also says (ibid) that the number of enchanted items a Verditius could sell to mundanes was set at one per year, and that "the selling maga must use her network of intermediaries during the exchange." Again, this seems to apply only to selling (and, I'm assuming, bartering or trade), not to a gift such as this. I couldnā€™t find anything in Houses of Hermes: True Lineages.

So, I'm thinking that this would be kosher unless someone wanted to raise a stink about it and either had enough allies or enough of Antoine's enemies to make the stink stick.

Agreed, a gift to a friend or family member is nowhere near the same as direct sales to a king.

Excellent news on the gift (as opposed to The Gift :laughing:)

Fixer's helpfully summarised the Reforging rules a bit more for me (in a PM). I see that I'm supposed to gain the minor flaw Averse to Risk as a result of the initiation. I haven't factored this in to the time/XP spent - does this mean that I've made an error - the process is quicker but I must take the flaw - or is the current setup where I spent extra time by ignoring the flaw and didn't gain it OK?

Also, does Averse to Risk mean anything mechanically, or would I just be, well, risk-averse?

Thing is, this is a grey area and a loophole:

• If I give numerous magical items to my brother the landed noble, I may be interfering with mundanes.
  • If I give an item to someone, who, later, may grant me a favor...

But this don't need to be resolved, especially as it could very well be a problem we find ourselves faces with, or a tribunal matter :smiley:

IMO, both are OK, although if you take the flaw, you should get back 10XPs.

IIRC, averse to risk means you can't experiment in the lab.

I am against doing the initiation without taking the flaw. House Mystery initiation scripts are very specific and are rarely, if ever, modified. It's basically like a course sylabus, and you don't graduate (get initiated) without fulfilling everything on the list.

So I would take the minor flaw and fix the XP.

Hmm. That's well and good; but if the flaw means "Can't experiment in the lab"... then that removes half the point of Inventive Genius, and retrospectively means I can't have made my Invisibility ring.

Perhaps you made the ring before you initiated ...

True, I could rework the ordering. Fact remains it nerfs Inventive Genius. If I have to take the flaw, I'd probably rather take a different cult mystery... but I do like Reforging.

I don't have my Mystery Cults book here with me (at work) so I'll have to check on that. I can't imagine the Verditius would have a script that would negatively affect their ability to experiment, but maybe. We sould hold off further discussion until someone actually checks the book.

[size=150]Initiation of Reforging Enchanted Items[/size]
Ease Factor: 15 (Minor Virtue known to the Mystagogue)
Script Bonus: +7
Script Details: The Initiate must make an item, usually something that he knows how to make with his Craft Ability. He must make as many of these as he can in the season, each as nearly identical to the others as the craft allows (+1). The Mystagogue sacrifices a season of her time assisting the Initiate (+3). As the season ends, the Initiate displays the items to the Mystagogue, who ritually burns them in a fire made of sulfur, cedar wood, and fish oil. Due to the repetitive process of the Initiation, the Initiate gains the Minor Flaw Averse to Risk (+3 Minor Ordeal).

[hr][/hr]
Is that what you were looking for?

It doesn't specifically say anything about not experimenting.

Thematically, it makes sense that someone who repairs items or adds powers to items would not be unwilling to experiment with already created items, thereby possibly ruining them. I can see that extending to all activities, too.

No, what I want to see is the writeup for the minor flaw Averse to Risk, which I'm guessing is from the same book. I own it, it's just at home.

Ah, here it is:

Averse to Risk (Minor Ordeal):
This Ordeal alters the magusā€™s personality, making him excessively reluctant to undertake laboratory activities that involve risk. While he may still practice the skills of the Minor Inner Mystery Reforging Items, he may never experiment on laboratory activities. He receives the Minor Ordeal Flaw Adverse to Risk. He may not undergo the Ordeal Prone to Chance.

Well, that answers the question fairly definitively.

Yeah...sounds like we need to find you another inner mystery :stuck_out_tongue: