Anulus Connectens: Andreva of Jerbiton

I'll look for an example of increased "finesse" with spell level as opposed to just increased finesse with finesse score.

Societates tells us that hermetic magic is unable to create procedural or inscribed memories making the task even more challenging. I'm rather glad not to tackle that at this point.

A quick scan of the Core book's Rego Terram and Herbam spells show no examples of magnitudes added for coordination.
Of the Herbam spells Strike of the Angered Branch uses the caster's Finesse to attack with while The Treacherous Spear uses the wielder's Atk and Dam - although not until it has broken free from his grip - so this spell makes absolutely no sense. Must be a legacy.

And as for Mentem requisites I intially thought Lord of the Trees or Free the Striding Tree has such and was ready to call it Legacy and do away with them as house ruled. But they actually don't.
So are there any examples of wrongly included Me requisites?

Perhaps The Shadow of Human Life CrIm(Me) 40, ArM5, p. 144?
I can see why it was included, ut is it necessary?

Sure, it's the only spell that includes or even mentions a semblance of intelligence.
It is not the only spell that creates or animate something something, and an animated corpse - created for this purpose or a natural one - can do these things: move around do simple things. As do animated trees and perhaps elementals? But I think such things have a very limited range of things they can do: follow a simple order to the letter until given other orders. In any case these spells use Rego for the actions.

SHadow of Human Life uses a Mentem requisite to make for a slightly smarter being. I see the distinction and the reasons to include it, I think. But I'm not sure I like it or the implications of using Me req. I'd rather have this spell be Cr(Re)Im and have it be as dumb as a zombie or walking tree.

One way to look at a possibility to grant some form of independance/free will through magic can be found in RoP: Magic.

Items which are exposed to intense magic warp and can become sentient (Awakened item, p130). However, it is mentionned that only magical item can become sentient.
Thus, if ever a spell is able to grant sentience to an item, it can only affect a magical item.

Based on the example (a magical cloak), the sentient item core competences and motivations are linked to its essence: as a cloak, its focus is to protect his wearer, make him comfortable and keep clean.

So the form of an awakened item will drive what it is reasonably able to perform without the control of the magus. Assuming that the spell of Awakening is invented, a broom won't be able to fight and sword won't be able to sculpt wood as neither of them has been designed for such task.

If PCs wanted to have access to such spells, I would make it part of a minor breakthrough, granting the virtue "Spirit caller".
Spirit caller (minor hermetic virtue): the mage is able to invent spell granting limited freedom to act and possibly sentience (ritual). To keep it simple regarding guidelines, I would add a +1 level modifier to existing Rego Form guideline for simple but independant action, to +4 for full sentient capability.
Source of insight: Spirit binding, and the few existing spells which seems to grant to item the ability to perform action without constant control of the magus.
Obviously, it is already existing to some form, but the guidelines do not provide much support, so a minor breakthrough should be enough to develop the knowledge necessary to generalize such spells.

Even ignoring the mentem angle to this discussion that I seem unable to kill, I haven't seen anything to support my greater coordination and I'm not yet ready to give up on it. Also Tellus and Christian (and ROF?) got their characters to 60 years weeks ago and are waiting for me. I'm going to drop this enchantment to perhaps take another run at it later in her career.

She has five seasons

one season to learn Aegis of the Hearth at level 30 from lab notes. Someone had to do this. Within the covenant aura Andreva's casting total is going to be 32 +die roll with an additional 5 penetration. With the day of comunion spells it should get us over 30 penetration. She's angling for more penetration skill, Rego, and Vim in the future so she'll continue to be a good choice for the caster.

One season to instill two mental communication enchantments in the familiar bond as per the core book page 105. One at level 15 to allow Grace to place thoughts in Andreva's mind unlimited times per day and one at level 11 to allow Andreva to place thoughts in Grace's mind 50 times per day. As a result of these enchantments, Grace gains a fondness for Gems and for magic theory. Andreva gains a habit of occasionally chewing on plants without swallowing (typically basil leaves), and she looses her reticence for sleeping outdoors under an open sky.

One season to invent the following spell:

One season to enchant the following enchantment in to her talisman

from this then she'll attune amber's +3 bonus to corpus (considering that I'm dropping the previous enchantment for now)

and one season learning Piercing the Magical Veil and The Numbness of the Gift from lab notes, hopefully lab notes from Bausas.

It would be a shame to drop the idea of this spell completely, but it is a bit of a pickle.

As for Aegis I hadn't even considered we'd need a better one. I thought maybe Janus should look into this as well in years 61-75, just to have a backup caster, but then I noticed his casting total for ReVi. :frowning:

Tellus, am I right?: For Day of Communion, due to it being D:Sun each magus casting this spell contributes [level-10] and this sum must be 2xlevel of the Aegis (or whatever we're casting. So with lvl 25 Communion and 5 magi (I assume we all know it, am I right?) we hit 75 which is actually good enough for a lvl 35 Aegis should we want this later on with no need to learn a better Comunion.

Edit:
PS Erik: Don't worry. Don't feel you slow the process down, projects like this go in the pace it needs to according to the participants. We have no deadline, it's just a hobby project and it needs to be fun and not a chore.
But I still wich we had some idea of what the theme for years 61-75 was, so we could start thinking an planning

I agree that (in this edition) the Mentem Req shouldn't be necessary. I just happen to also think it cannot be done :wink:

Don't worry about it! As Christian wrote, there's no hurry!

Someone volunteered for this a while ago, and so it fell out of my mind.

Excellent!

Possibly an extra magnitude for size? Otherwise beautiful!

D*mn that's clever!

Certainly!

See above for my thoughts :slight_smile:

Exactly.

So very much agreed!

A bit stressed today? You're missing more letters than usual?

Due to national shortages of letters I was asked - being a major consumer of words - to cut back a bit...

Actually I have some quite annoying and boring tasks of checking production line drawings of concrete elements to see if they include the holes and recesses the structural engineers calculated and put there in accordance with my needs for pipes and ducts.

Ah. Makes sense

base effect is doubled in every dimension, I added three more magnitudes to... (counting on fingers...) oh, I get it, sorry.

No worries :slight_smile:

With his rego focus, Hector is likely the Magus who can generate the best total if Darkwing ever has a chance to return to the project. Andreva's spell mastery however makes her the one least likely to screw it up and botch.

I was getting tired of this period too. I'll wrap up with aging and character sheets this weekend.

Again, don't worry too much, take your time. Tellus and I are playing our Rhine saga this Sunday so we'll get our fix! :wink:
Anyway I've already started to think about the things Janus needs to do regardless of the theme for the next 15 years.

she goes from age 72 to age 86
8 rolls at +7 age -2 living condition -1 lab health score (of 2) - 11 for ritual -2 for bronze cord = -9
7 rolls at +8 age -2 living condition -1 lab health score (of 2) - 11 for ritual -2 for bronze cord = -8
I did this. (I used excel's random number generator because it was on my desktop and and a ten-sider wasn't.)
She gained one year of apparent age

I'm still not giving her more confidence. Dealing with demons doesn't do that, or if it does perhaps the character is in real trouble, wait... no I'm not going to explore that line.

Personality traits I'm giving her pious as a result of the demon scaring her. I'm dropping shy altogether

Reputations I'm ading wealthy, I imagine that all of the magi associated with the covenant probably come off as loaded. They've got lots of stuff, but especially Andreva because she's taken to wearing lots of gems.

As for non-magical stuff, in addition to collecting a whole mess of gems she's seen to equipping all of the grogs in +2 superior gear with her rego craft magic.

My last character sheet was on page 8, that was a lot of posts ago

The sheet for Grace is upcoming. I should probably start doing a list of enchanted devices and unique spells as well to maximize her utility as an NPC.

I did not include the statue of Peter and Patricia that he created for Bausas

This was mostly cut and paste. I didn't re-edit much.

Aquam Spells

Auram Spells

Ignem Spells

Mentem Spells

Creo Terram Spells

Intelego Terram Spells

Muto Terram Spells

Rego Terram Spells

My +60 character sheet is done at last. It also clearly shows how a character developed in this style or in play is different from a character in most of the published work. There's no way that an author could spare the effort or the column space for this amount of new stuff that focuses on the specific Maga's needs and aptitudes.