Anulus Connectens: Andreva of Jerbiton

I have no problem with any of this - though I might steal the fish :wink:

Should have done that before she got her apprentice to fix an AC to it.

[strike]She made it through two wizard wars, I'm raising her confidence.[/strike] Is that less reasonable than not raising her confidence? To my mind a 100 year old maga should be pretty self confident, or am I looking at this through the lens of editions 1-4 and being too free with confidence points?

I'm adding another personality trait; dislike of wizard's wars.

Witout looking at the actual sheet posted I'll just comment upon the Confidence issue:

No, that is by no means unreasonable. Confidence is a funny thing, in earlier editions it was a thing you used and then it refreshed. I really like 5th ed's mechanic of having them be used permanently and then new ones gained. And I think spending Confidence after the roll is a brilliant mechanic, it encourages people to use them because they ren't afraid to waste them.
My groups have become better at spending them, and SGs are progressively tolerably in remembering to dole uot new ones, sometimes by being asked directly by players. I'm in that category as SG myself!
But basically it you succeed in something important to you we tand to award Confidence. And you may have had to spend some to get that succes.

For the MMoH project I have deliberately not bothered with Confidence since it is a fluid thing IMHO. I assume the magi spend and gain Confidence during the 15 years, and that things even out. For me, only the Score is important, the actual number of Points isn't.

I think it's fine if you stat out Andreva at some point having more then 3, as it signals things are going very well for her.

Edit: Oh wait, was it Confidence SCORE you were talking about? I'm afraid we've never had any situations where we've done that. No RAW sources exist AFAIK except 15 years of Tytalus apprenticeship suffices.

from page 20:

The thought I had was that she had been living in fear of the Confraternity of Roland for 70 some years and now she's faced her fear and found that she's up to the challenge. I'm not sure that this is the same level of personality modification that a Tytalus apprenticeship is. Changing score was a more fluid thing in previous editions of the game, that was the model that was in my head. In general if any magus or maga gets 75 years of study under his or her belt he or she's probably in a position to view the world with a fair bit more self confidence then dang near any other character in the setting. These are arguments but perhaps not convincing ones.

I guess I'll change the score back to 1. But, as always, counterarguments are encouraged.

This is not a context in which Confidence matters deeply (as it cannot affect seasonal activities), so I don't really much care .
I could see Andreva having Confidence 2, but... I agree with Christian that it's not trivially obvious that it should be so.

... or maybe we're just stingy with Confidence? What does everyone else think?

Thinking about themes for 76-90 I don't have a lot of good ideas for more fun things to do with swords or creating caverns (I have some, just not a lot). Despite her desire to live a beautiful life, with her enemies story flaw, I can see her being really angry with the confraternity of Roland who want to kill her and her apprentice for a grudge that she sees as entirely imaginary, I also see her as being very frightened for both herself and for her apprentice.

I'm going to have her spend most of this period working on being better at wizard's wars. This is a set of magical tricks that I've often thought about but never really had a character dive into full force. At most I've had characters give it a year or two of attention before going on to less unpleasant things. I should clearly go back and read the sub rosa 18 second half of the invisible assassin article more carefully, but not before thinking it through from the point of veiw of Andreva's strengths and weaknesses to have my own ideas formed before filling my head with Christian's and Tellus'.

With that in mind, here is a list of what I think she'll want in this period (In addition to the ship items and helping with longevity rituals, and perhaps a spell to do sculpture better because she's still Jerbiton and creating art is still important ).

Personal rego wards for Auram, Aquam, Animal Corpus, and Herbam. She already has wards for Ignem and Terram and I don't see the value of wards for imaginem, mentem or vim.

Something like posing the silent question both to get intellegence and to master for spell resistance.

Rusted decay of 10 score years, her perdo deficiency means that she'll not be able to cast this with much force but she could easily get hit with it destroying her talisman so she'll want to master it for magic resistance.

A general version of invisible sling of vilano so she can throw any solids (or is the normal spell ok for this with just casting requisites? I'll have to look that up)

A spell at as close to level 50 as she can manage to teleport as large a chunk of stone and dirt as possible from beneath a target to over their head. The target finds themselves falling into a large pit with a large chunk of stone over their head falling on top of them. This is a spell that I remember being bandied about on the Berk list back in the last millennium but I've never felt that I could make something that was advantageous to telling stories with it rather than it just being a cheesy instant kill spell. I'd like to see if I can break through the cheese to something cool.

A range AC spell to stab someone with a dagger to take advantage of her focus while avoiding defenses against intangible tunnel spells

A twilight inducing warping spell once again to master for magic resistance but hopefully also for a possible offense

A ring circle rego terram ward to protect her while she's putting up her parma perhaps a corpus one as well (ward against the curious scullion is the name IIRC)

I believe that she's already mastered a mind control spell for magic resistance hindering the easiest way to remove her parma. She'd want to supplement this with learning a parma lowering perdo vim spell and mastering it for magic resistance.

I plan to put enchantments into her talisman to automatically detect and collect arcane connections and have her develop a spell or two to identify and sort the AC's that have been collected.

With an additional 12 seasons required for her apprentice this period she'll need to neglect her time in the library to get all of this done and when she does study she'll want to work on penetration, parma, intrigue and the like in addition to her arts. (my first guess for everything is 36 seasons leaving 6 years for study)

My big question is; Do any of you see any relevant weaknesses in her plans that make her vulnerable or leave her unable to attack her opponents?

Having now had a day to think about it I came up with two issues. The first is that she'd really want to have invisibility, a defense against poison and a personal teleport spell (rather than relying on Grace) as much as she's want most of the above items.

The second is that this doesn't seem like a fun set of abilities to have at a table. Aedelbert the Gurnicus investigator character I made this way was better in that being really good at investigation was a useful tool for a story guide to have. The NPC could come in at the end of a story and Deus ex machina all of the information relevant to tie up loose ends. He'd be the absolute worst character to play in a mystery themed story but he's useful to bring in to end one. Andreva's focus on winning wizard wars on the other hand I don't see having the same sort of story utility. Her new skill set involves not being killed and killing others. The first point is not particularly relevant and the second is most often taking the job of the PC's. I struggle to see how the "I worked really hard on being able to wizard war" Andreva is a character you'd want to move through a game. I suppose you could use her as a threat to the PC's but I don't think that she has enough issues or personality quirks to easily employ in this fashion. Perhaps she could be used as the antagonist the PC's can't kill if she's on a different side of an issue.

I've always kind of wanted to see how a wizard war focused character looks but it has always been in an abstract sense not as an a character I'd want to use. (what does a wizard war magus look like? what would you do with just two wishes?, Joe Montana or Payton Manning? Flying or Invisibility?).

Now with another day behind me I realize that she'll also want invisible eye revealed and a spell to identify arcane tunnels so she can throw spells back through them.

Sure. You'd want to know an Intangible Tunnel yourself and Master ir for Resistance. And you'd want a Perdo Vim spell to close a Tunnel - both for ones you open when the opponent fires back and to close ones an enemy opens to you. Or you could use Rego Vim to temporarily suppress the Tunnel rather than close it.

Did you try to brainstorm without looking at HP: Intangible Assassin or the nit-picking SubROse articles Tellus and I wrote? Because you're beginning to think the same thoughts.

She's had that since, I think, the dragon period.

She's got a Perdo Deficiency so the rego option would almost certainly be a better choice.

Well yes but I've certainly looked at them both in the past at least a bit, and the subject must have popped up on this forum or the Berk list at some point. With her terram focus the glass bomb stuff from Projects was something I considered but decided against.

The new thoughts for this morning that aren't on my list yet (in addition to the Rego vim tunnel closer) are some protection against poisons and a spell to control familiars to attack their magi.

The second is a thought I had years ago but never brought up before. Familiars don't need to penetrate the MR of their magi with their magic. Unless the magi extends their parma to the familiar they're probably going to have pretty weak magic resistance. For any magi who have a dangerous familiar that familiar represents an exploitable avenue of attack. This is the obvious way to defeat Phillipus Niger and probably fair proportion of elder magi.

Wouldn't the Loyalty personality trait and Silver Cord help prevent/counter that? Before the description of the cords it says "Each cord has a varying effect (described below) depending on how well it is forged. These benefits also apply to the familiar."

The silver cord can certainly work against mental control, the cord acts as a bonus on rolls to resist mental influence and it can break mentem spells on a roll of ease factor 9 with the silver cord score as a bonus (1 roll per mentem effect per day). The loyalty score would add to the appropriate rolls (and IMO "appropriate rolls" is about as precise a description as a person can glean from the rules in this matter). These are not foolproof measures. They help, but they don't make a rego mentem on the familiar a hopeless endeavor.

Tangential: Wouldn't controlling the familiar be Rego Animal rather than Rego Mentem? Or does the fact that the familiar is now 'sentient' mean its mind is now covered by Mentem?

This came up earlier with the intelligence boosting rituals. I was originally thinking that the familiars would have double vulnerability. They could be targeted by either Mentem or Animal similar to the way a human transformed into a bird by a muto corpus (animal) spell could be targeted by either corpus or animal.

Someone brought up this quote (at least I think that it was this quote) from the rule book page 148

and argued that since the mind is intelligent it could only be targeted by Mentem.

Yes. It gains an intelligence score, and thus falls under Mentem (and Animal for it's body).

I agree.
And may I say I think using Mentem for force a Familiar to attack its master is very inventive. Good show!

I had forgotten about Andreva's Perdo Defiency. In that case a Rego Vim effect to keep the Tunnel closed works fine. It's still there but it is closed for business. Just remember to keep the Duration sufficiently long.

Starting 76- 90 I'll change things up and do some lab work first. In the first two years she'll spend two seasons assisting in longevity ritual creation two seasons with her apprentice and four seasons with Rego wards

One season for Ward against Wood from the core book p. 139. I suppose if there are other fans of only soak wards for individuals house rules that Ward against Wood being level 25 would give the user a +15 soak bonus. Her Rego Herbam lab total is
Rego 16
Herbam 8
Magic theory 9
Int 3
Aura 3
Lab quality 2
lab rego 6
Apprentice 4
Grace 14

total 65 so she could develop a level 32 spell instead

I considered a smaller bonus at range touch but decided that an additional +5 soak was worth the loss of flexibility. (In character I'd say that Grace believe that Anbdreva's enemies had little quarrel with a familiar and so encouraged the range individual version believing that by better protecting Andreva that she herself was better protected than if the ward could have been used on her as well.

Anyone see an issue with a base level of 22?

For Animal her lab total is 2 higher allowing her a spell that is one level higher:

For Corpus

For Auram I don't feel that the same soak ward would target both Incantation of Lightning and Talons of the Wind . She'll choose to protect herself against the more dangerous lightning spell. Also, lightning is a phenomena that could conceivably be targeted in a way that evades parma (for example a tiny object is enchanted as a lesser device that draws lighting to itself and then this item is placed upon Andreva), meanwhile it's less easy to see how powerful winds or magically altered winds could be brought to bear on her in a way that bypasses parma.

I'll say again that these soak wards are for those of us that don't like target personal "total" wards in our games. By and large, if you're using the rules as printed you should use conventional wards for your Andreva NPC.