Anulus Connectens: Andreva of Jerbiton

Would protecting against a standard lance need an Herbam or a Terram ward? Or would both/neither work? Are horses often struck/targeted by lances?

I would imagine that a terram ward would be fully effective, and an herbam ward would prevent the lance from creating as deep a wound as it otherwise might.

I'll do 5 years of study for Andreva and distribute 150 xp
Penetration to 5 for 25
Parma to 8 for 40
Imaginem to 8 for 8
Intellego to 10 for 10
Rego to 18 for 35
Vim to 10 for 19
Perdo to 6 for 6
One spell mastery raised to 2 for 5 xp (due to her flawless magic virtue)
and her final 2 xp put into terram to net her 3 xp due to her affinity.

I'll have Grace get 100 xp in the same period
Awareness to 7 for 35
Brawl to 10 for 50
Order of Hermes lore to 3 for 15

She's previously used 8 seasons this period for the personal wards, her apprentice and the longevity rituals. she needs an additional 10 seasons for her apprentice before they take their gauntlet. This leaves 22 more seasons for lab work.

One season for two spells rego teram spells

Andreva takes some time to utilize her free expression virtue to create a series of truly remarkable sculptures at Anulus Connectens and at nearby and or Jerbiton Covenants that immortalize some of the most famous wizard wars in the history of the order, in all cases depicting the instigator of the war in an exceedingly unfavorable light.

Having this spell as a formulaic rather than a spont allows Andreva to master it for precise casting both increasing her skill and reducing her chance of botching the finesse roll.

Andreva fears assault by terram magi, this ward will protect her from Invisible Sling of Vilano type attacks regardless of their power. It also will protect her from attacks by spells similar to A Stab Across Europe (which I'll write up shortly).

She does not need Grace's help in the lab for this season.

I like this spell, but am confused by one interaction, which I am not even sure is valid.

What happens if someone teleports or creates a terram object within the circle and then moves it to attack somone within. Can ReTe teleportation be used to bypass such wards (i.e. is it actually teleportation or relly fast travel?) As I am writing this, it means I don't understand circle wards on a deeper level. Can any circular ward against form be snuck past by creating something withing the circle and then directing it?

I'm going to have to think about that one.

Bob

I certainly intend it to be a ward against teleportation of swords, but I don't see clear any justification for it to be how I wish.

Whether swung, thrown, rolling or teleported into contact with Andreva the sword needs to cross the boundary of the ward - so I guess Penetration is needed in order to ignore the Ward.
Teleportation is not explained, I know there is some discussion of whether it is actually just very, very fast travel. However I don't believe a teleported item actually crosses the intervening space. But it is not IMHO 'wormhole method' to have it ignore Wards and Aegis. Maybe I just feel thsi way because I want Wards and Aegis to work aginst this.

Rather if the ward doesn't penetrate the MR of a sword then the sword can ignore the ward.

One argument would be that you wouldn't let a faerie teleport right into the middle of a ring of warding against applicable faeries.

Andreva spends a season developing this. It's the sort of a spell that I'd hope the circular ward would protect against. She does not need Grace's assistance to make the spell in a single season.

I used the +5 strength that is used in unseen porter. I'm not at all sure that it is justified and I'd like some feedback on it

In preparation for a wizard's war with a confraternity of Roland maga Andreva has created a set of 3 high quality daggers engraved with respectively the Latin words "I have no knowledge of", "your stupid", and "initiation".

I know this does not help with confirming the spell is legit, however my first thought was another spell to teleport a bear across Europe; to do basically the same thing to the poor magus.
Make it really odd by teleporting it back and forth.

Not a huge fan of teleporting anythign directly into anything or anyone, except an empty space.
That said, looking at the S&M bonus for daggers, it does appear that the nature of daggers is to stab someone, so it's hard to find fault with that.
I dunno.

A question I have is why is a separate anti-teleportation spell needed (cannon - in one of the expansion books) if all wards restrict against teleportation?
Yes, that protects against all teleportation, rather than specific thing - but still.

As far as I understand it, the spell teleports the dagger near the target, and then stabs the target with it. That's the reason for the +1 magnitude -- stabbing being the secondary effect.
What I don't like is the damage formula, in particular including the weapon damage modifier which is at least in part due to how the weapon is supposed to be swung by a normal human. I would just use what's normal for an attack with a ReTe projectile. +15 damage, perhaps?

So to pick up the conversation 15 months later, how about a spell which teleports as Andreva does the stabbing?
like this:

Does that seem appropriate? It isn't the spell doing the stabbing it's Andreva.

But it's resisted, right? The dagger is under magical control when it pierces the target, it's being teleported , even for just an instant.

Yes, right, if she doesn't penetrate MR then the teleport won't work. Manually moving the knife doesn't change that.

I figure by only being able to stab the object to which she has an AC it is proper to use spell/hazard damage and avoid referencing the combat system. Also it has nice visuals,it feels magical. It's still a bit of a walk outside of normal mechanics though and some additional scrutiny would be welcome.

Assuming that this version of a stab across Europe passes muster she has 20 seasons remaining. She'll want to invent stuff from lab notes to get the wizard war preparation done.

She's going to learn Rusted Decay of Ten-Score Years so she can master it for defense her Perdo Terram lab total is 36.
Thinking about what would be available as a lab texts and he needs she'll spend a season learning the following three spells from lab texts

Rusted Decay of Ten-Score Years PeTe10
Pit of the Gaping Earth PeTe15
Saving the Apprentice's Time PeTe10 (from Magi of Hermes p31, it's a spell for doing dusting)

She wants to learn Revoke the Protection of Bonisagus for defense her perdo vim lab score is 23.5
She'll spend a season with the following two lab texts

Revoke the Protection of Bonisagus PeVi10 (Contested Isle p62, Faith and Flame p 71)
Wind of Mundane Silence PeVi10

She wants to improve her defenses versus intellego Mentem he intellego mentem total is 53
She'll study lab texts for

Posing the Silent Question InMe 20
Peering into the Mortal Mind InMe 30

That leaves her 17 seasons

Her Creo Vim lab total is 53 which lets her invent the following spell

I kept the short range for a lower level and more penetration, but she's primarily learning it for spell resistance.

16 seasons left

Actually a really good reason to learn a spell.

Inventing or trading for an item that can detect Vim spell (intangible tunnel specifically) or scrying spell (InIm mostly) would also help her in her future war.
Ideally, a InVi with a constant effect, with a ReCo awakening spell to her person or any other means to attract her attention would be useful. A version of Invisible Eye Revealed of magnitude 5 should be enough to detect most intrusive spells.
She could enchant the detection spell into her bond with Grace.