Anulus Connectens: Andreva of Jerbiton

Corrected

No, that sounds quite reasonable to me; it just makes sense.

Here is Andreva at 15 years out. She put a lot of work into rego terram and she has a handy collection of utility spells with those arts to help her through life. Magically she hasn't branched out much at all. Apprentices are not in the immediate future.

Looking at the rest of the covenant, her magical focus and flawless formulaic magic coupled with her lack of the gentle gift and horrible social stats have probably pushed her into being the one who deals with the situations where there is going to be violence involved more often than average and in to the more subtle excursions less frequently than average (although I haven't yet seen where Darkwing and Tellus are going to go with their characters). She’s probably ok with that given her grog influenced upbringing.

I added a personality trait "cares about grogs". Under the understanding that she and the grogs have been through a bit together by this point.

Ideally Andreva would have performed the longevity ritual prior to making any aging rolls. Her ritual did use numbers from the end of the period so I’m going to say that she had it done at age 39. She didn’t score high enough numbers to increase her apparent age either of the two following years. Se had no effects besides increased apparent age for her four unprotected years (35-38). I am thinking that a +2 living conditions modifier is applicable in addition to her +11 from her longevity ritual (no modifier from the lab this period, nor medical regime nor, obviously, a bronze cord).

While I'm not going to proceed to do years 16-30 until I see more of Bausas and Hector's first 15 and we discus what challenges the covenant should adjust to in this period I am going to start laying out some priorities for her.

Top priorities
*finish her lab
*Finesse: Andreva has a lot of spells that work using her finesse the payoff for further investment is really high
*Creo: there are lots of creo things that she wants to do with swords
*Mentem: she is sick to death of living with her poor communication skills. Rituals for improving her communication and presence are available at CrMe 35. She aims to get them.
*Whatever we decide is a covenant priority during this period
*Magic theory, eventually she'll want a talisman and magic theory 5 won't cut it
*More rego, for penetration of her existing spells and for developing a few new ones of higher level
*Penetration skill (hers is really low)
*Concentration skill (she has none)
*Defensive magics, if she's really going to be the first choice for "violence possible issues" that the covenant sees she's definitely going to want to be better protected

secondary priorities
*Creation and maintenance of underground living areas. She likes the new lab and doesn't see that adding a few more suitably grand areas to anyplace that she happens to be would be too difficult to pull off in any given afternoon if she created the right spells to make it happen.
*Parma magica: she has enough for it to be useful but not enough to be well defended
*Aegis of the hearth: both the spell and the day of communion
*Be a better swordsman, she loves fencing she'd like to be better at it.
*Spend some resources for magically finding and harvesting gems. They're beautiful, she'd like to have more, and it seems like a workable short term goal to be accomplished in a few seasons and enjoyed for the rest of her life.
*Get a familiarNow that I see how long the list of primary goals is I have some big doubts about her list of secondary goals showing up at all

This period I had Andreva study for 11 of the 15 years so 330 xp:

Finesse to level 8 for 50 xp (due to her affinity)
Creo to 12 for 42 xp
Rego to 12 for 33 xp
Mentem to 9 for 45 xp
Magic theory to 7 for 75 xp
Penetration to 2 for 10 xp
Concentration to 2 for 15 xp
Parma Magica to 5 for 25 xp
Terram takes the last 35 xp (which becomes 53 with her affinity) raising it to 22+3 (5)

That's a very magic focused list. I'll try to spread it out to have more of everything else in the world that isn't magic on it in future time periods. Magic theory being a big xp pig that gobbles up other possibilities is a thing that in particular I might pull back from next time. You can see that she's still laser focused and in desperate need for other techniques and forms (she has just opened up Creo Mentem and Rego Mentem as viable combinations but she doesn't get much if any use out of them this period).

The years of "study" include considerable down time by their nature (in order to not exceed the xp goals especially when exposure xp for lab periods is factored in) I'm going to say some of her time was spent in recovery from sword fights with Confraternity of Roland magi who don't want to break the code by killing her but still cleverly arrange matters force her in to non-lethal duels in order to express their distaste for her "stolen" abilities.

This is my experience as well

She will spend three seasons finishing the lab as above but will also spend a fourth season creating the following lesser enchanted device for her lab. It will be left outside of her laboratory for the other magi of the covenant to use if they need it. Andreva worked overtime for a season to produce this device and afterwards questions whether or not the additional use per day was worth the added difficulty to her life.

I think that this justifies flawless equipment laboratory virtue (+2 general quality, -1 upkeep, +2 vis extraction)

Is one magnitude for complexity enough? is 3 uses per day enough for more than one laboratory to use it?

The CrTe guideline box in the core book specifically mentions add one magnitude for elaborate shape.

Well if that's Ok, her laboratory looks like this for the time being:

[strike]Andreva uses two laboratory texts during the 16-30 year period Presence of the Followers and Communication of the Followers. She will spend one season each to learn these.[/strike]
Edit:After some more discussion it came to my attention that casting tablets for these spells or their range personal or target circle equivalents were no harder to create and of more value to most potential buyers while still being covered by the cow and calf oath so ass to not flood the market with competitors. So Andreva will acquire casting tablets rather than spend two seasons learning spells.

The two seasons that I had previously allocated to this work will instead be used to invent (what else) Terram spells

One season for these three spells that should help the redcaps moving through the covenant

One one season for this spell to make armor more wearable

She will spend one season to develop this spell
Rego 12
focus 12
terram 25
int 3
aura 3
magic theory 8
lab rego 6
lab terram 4
Lab general quality 2
similar spell bonus 7
total 82

I like it.

With the same 82 lab total the following two spells take 2 seasons each.

Or would a trained group be more appropriate? If not what would it take to make them attack as a trained group?

Target group in this situation, would it refer to a volume of ten cubic feet of metal so easily 30 swords, or is there a rationale for making it smaller?

Edit: I realized that with a lab total of 82 there wasn't a good reason not to make the spells at level 50.

Jumping late into the discussion ... but I agree with Erik Tyrell, a focus in swords would not give a bonus when enchanting an effect unrelated to swords into a sword, just like a focus in "red-headed women" does not give a red-headed maga a bonus on all spells she casts (it does give her a bonus on all spells she casts on herself though).

The Confraternity of Roland's focus is still great for mystical swordsmiths because it applies when making swords that can't be disarmed, that are supersharp, that are so hot that they set everything they touch on fire, that shatter other swords they touch, that fight on their own, that fly (carrying the holder with them), that turn into dragons etc. plus to all spells that involve dealing with swords, e.g. spells that scry upon the smith's own creations. That's quite enough for a minor focus.

Two seasons for this. It sin't really a combat spell as much as it is a way to enforce her control on a situation

I considered making a level 50 version because she could (range sight) but decided to keep it a bit lower for at least some penetration.

She spends two seasons on the following spell as well. It's even more aggressive but still potentially really useful. I figure she'll develop the spells first and philosophize about why she wants to impose her order on the rest of the world so much later.

I find the idea of ten meter long snakes of razor sharp death scuttling over one another like a nest of centipedes exposed to the sun to be somewhat horrifying. It would be even more so with significant penetration.

Great spells, reminds me of using a combo of Blade Barrier and Animate Object in dnd.

No Iron Throne yet? :laughing:

She has one season left in the 16-30 year period. I'll try and get a familiar together but if I run out of time she'll develop an armor lightening spell (her perdo deficiency makes Hauberk of Sublime Lightness a poor choice) instead so as to not keep everyone else waiting.

A faerietale of Andreva's familiar's backstory un-proofread.

It also deals with faeries teaching magic as per the recent thread and makes some use of Janus' stuff.

Once Upon a time there lived a pony of surprising beauty and strength that lived in a green meadow with other horses and some humans that cared for them and rode them. The pony, who was named Grace, spent her days running and playing chase with the other young horses for while she was large for her age she was not yet so large and strong to be ridden by the people when they wore their metal clothing.

Grace was clever for a horse but she did not think in the ways of men or faeries. She was incapable of listing her greatest fears. Yet had she been able to do so they would have been as such:
The thing that lurked in the darkness at the edge of the meadow, but more than this she feared
Old age, which even to her immature animal mind clearly stole health happiness and life from all it affected, but even more than this she feared
The ground, for both her parents had broken their legs due to stumbles on unsteady ground and she had seen them both suffer prior to their deaths from it.
One night some months prior to the first anniversary of Grace’s birth a beautiful faerie lady came to her and spoke in her way to her saying that Grace was the most noble and handsome looking of all horses the faerie lady desired to be her companion for not only did the faerie find Grace beautiful but she believed that Grace’s beauty would attract human men to her home and the faerie longed very much for their company. In return for Grace’s companionship the faerie promised to teach grace how to control the ground so she need never fear it again.

While Grace was clever for a horse she did not think in the manner of men or faeries so she was shocked and amazed by the clarity of the thoughts conveyed by the speech of the faerie lady (for, in fact, she understood no thoughts from the speech of the humans at all). Grace agreed to be a companion to the faerie because she was glad to learn how not to fear the ground.

The Faerie took Grace to distant fields where she taught her how to make the ground adjust itself to always be flat and sturdy beneath her feet. Learning this pleased her immensely, while Grace still feared the thing that lurked in the darkness at the edge of the field (which lurked at the edge of this field as well) and the ravages of age she had less fear than ever before.

The faerie then took Grace to many different sunny meadows where she frolicked by herself. Occasionally a man saw her and, intrigued by so magnificent a horse living being without humans to take care of it, followed Grace and she led them to the shadows where the Faerie lived so she would have their company and not be so alone (for who would wish to be alone where the thing in darkness lurked).

Grace did this happily at least twice but, although she could not think in the manner of humans or faeries, she was clever for a horse. Grace, in her way, finally realized that the Faerie was the creature who lurked and that the men brought to her she did not use for company and they did leave by another route.

Now grace fell into melancholy realizing that she was bait for a trap. In the evening the Faerie came to grace and realized how the horse’s mind had changed. The faerie demanded that Grace continue to act in accordance to their agreement and threatened to use a tremendous mouth of sharp teeth that she claimed to have and tear Grace to pieces with them.

Grace, in fear, did continue to act as the faerie wished. If she was not as desirable an animal because her fear and melancholy showed in her body language she was even more intriguing for her behavior was unexpected and at least one more man was lured into the darkness where the faerie lay in wait.

One drizzly morning a proud man who traveled a road next to the field where Grace ate (staying far from the shadows) noticed her. Grace could tell he was a proud man for he wore a cap of bright red and did not permit rain to touch his body or clothes. Grace reluctantly led the proud man to the edge of the shadows but the man cautiously withdrew and went away.

A day later the proud man came back with several other men all of which wore metal clothes and a tiny lady who carried a single glove and smelled of treachery. Grace in a terrified manner tried to lure just one of the men into the shadows but a group of men followed and the tiny woman who stunk of treachery used her glove to light up leaves and trees like small pieces of the sun thereby confining the edges of the shadows.

The Faerie lady was wroth with Grace and angrily yelled at her to take the men away but before the faerie could continue she found herself surrounded by great walls of sharp metal sticks that began to glow, as the leaves and trees, as if they were bits of captured sunlight. The light reflected off of the thousands of sharp sticks and the Faerie instead of yelling at Grace was interrupted by the lady who yelled with a tiny voice that preposterously attempted to thunder menacingly while having the resonance of half of a dry leaf.

The meaning of the words the lady and the faerie spoke to one another was lost to Grace but the meaning of the sharp metal sticks that shot through the air to skewer the faerie was unambiguous.
It occurred to Grace, in the kind of insight that was exceedingly uncommon but not unknown for her mind to make, that perhaps as the faerie lady appeared beautiful and innocent while being, in truth, a creature of vile darkness the lady who spoke with the voice of a mouse and smelled of cruelty and deception perhaps was not so dark a creature as she seemed.

The men retreated to the edges of the field and the Lady spent the rest of the day with Grace. In the morning when Grace’s unease regarding the ill intentions of the foul seeming lady were not at their highest the lady performed a ritual that somehow placed many thoughts in Grace’s head.

Grace understood that the lady wished to Grace’s friend and in turn have Grace’s friendship. The lady wished, pleasingly, to have Grace run in beautiful meadows but also, displeasingly, to work in a decorated cave filled with papers and glass. Grace would be free the fear of old age for more years than her equine mind could comprehend. But also be bound to the lady and her feeling of deceit.
It was too many thoughts for Grace to make sense of because she was a horse and could not think in the manner of faeries and humans. But in this realization she discovered one more thought that the tiny lady had placed in her mind, that this too would be resolved. This was like removing a wound that she never knew she had so in hope rather than fear she agreed.

[size=50]Apologies to any of the rest of you who like me started thinking of the the thing in darkness from Order of the stick half way through this[/size]

Nice story.
And apology appreciated :wink:

From the book of Mundane beasts I have this:

Then I went to RoP: Magic and did an Animal of Virtue as grog level character from a medium power saga but keeping cunning rather than intelligence

I used qualities to purchase virtues to put the destrier virtues and flaws in balance
I added the 50 xp for a spring creature to the animal's natural abilities rather than paying for the natural abilities
I removed ferocity because it didn't seem appropriate for the creature I'm describing.
The Graceful Sprint power is taken by analogy from the rego corpus guidelines however I interpreted it as movement rather than teleportation.
I made No Fear of the Ground as a personal power with a constant duration. It would be more efficient with an instant duration but there's a possible argument that it doesn't qualifiy as targeting the creature. I'd love a second opinion on that front (and an additional 2 mastery points).

Andreva's rego Teram lab total is Rego 12 + Teram 25 + Intelegence 3 + Aura 3 + Magic Theory 7 + 2 lab General quality + 6 rego lab bonus + 4 terram lab bonus = 62 lab total to spend on cords. Andreva wil choose bronze and silver cords at 2 for 15 each and gold at level 3 for 30.