ArM5: Frozen Castle of Cold Hearts (5-8)

well to be fair, my character is Islamic >.> shes going to be at odds no matter where she goes. Well if you want to avoid the cold the next up looks to be Iberia.

I'm planning to be Catholic. If we do end up in Novograd instead of somewhere else (like the Alps) I can think of a very good reason or two to be way out in the pagan sticks!

Well, If you give rational things to search this is easier : you want relatively Hot weather, where pagans are under pressure then I would NOT choose :

Because It's cold : les-crises.fr/images/1300-cl ... europe.gif
Rhine; Novgorod, Transylvanian Greater Alps.

Because there's not enough pressure on Pagan : google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... =0&ndsp=39
-Rhine Again
-Novgorod Again
-Stonehenge
And I'll add Thebes from the book.

Which would leave HIbernian, Loch Leglean ,Provencal and Roman tribunals that received no real support, levant that received a token of ostracism, and Iberian.

So If I were SG I would go for Iberian because It's Hot and because It's even more interesting with Muslim, Christian and pagan characters. Also Both Islam and Christianism seem equally hostile to pagans.
Anyway just my 2 cents.

Well bitter, im sold.

I don't really mind the tribunal either way; Iberia and Nov both sound good. I'll vote for Novgorod if necessary.

That link seems to be looking at 600CE, rather than 1200. The Rus' has only been formally Christian for ~350 years, and remains mixed. So there's quite a bit of Christian vs Pagan going on, unlike the other Tribunals where the matter has already been rather firmly settled.

Anyway, maybe it's time for the SG to decide.

Which is before Islam even started!

the whole idea was to search for places where christianism was old and well settled as you noticed.

ANyway I think we made clear what tribunal we were favoring as well as what our characters were like now i'll just wait for the SG to finish his preparation.

I investigated animated corpses further. There is a statement that the corpse could be given Brawl at and assigned score or set to the caster's Finesse. As the corpse would both have to hit with the attack and also penetrate magic resistance (most magical attacks only must do one of the two), I don't think it would be overpowered to use Finesse for that score. Additionally, attacks through magical things are usually either Finesse or straight penetration anyway, so there would be consistency. It also means she could make better zombies as she improves, which is nice. Thoughts?

I still haven't found anything about Perception, though I did find an explicit statement about animated corpses being treated as having No Fatigue in RoP:M.

As I work on spells, it looks like she'll not start with the greatest Creo nor Corpus. Rego is more important for penetration when animating the dead and needs to reach higher levels for the spells anyway. Her arrival will be cooler with animal corpses, too, so I'm starting with a little more Animal/Mentem than Corpus. But she'll be working on Creo and Corpus a lot to advance through the next stages of physical (corpses, not ghosts) necromancy.

I would give the corpse normal weapons vs things with MR, brawl at caster finesse doesn't seem bad either It could potentially be strong with high finesse but it seems a fair trade for investment in this skill.

In Hermetic projet, they clearly state p118 : "Because the grave hound is not a Magical Animal but merely an animated corpse, it does not have mental Characteristics" so I guess you just use the skill + qualities (ex here sharp ears)

Sure, normal weapons but they still have to penetrate because magic is being used to move them about, even if somewhat secondarily. In the current case, though, weapons wouldn't count since she's going to start off with animating animal corpses. She'll move onto human corpses later. I'm looking forward to describing her arrival on the corpse of a pony. :smiling_imp:

Yes, it can potentially get strong. But at the same time it requires both penetration and Finesse instead of only a single one of them. So I think that's fair.

Yes, that's what I was referring to. You're going the route I was thinking: take it as Perception=0 in essence, just skill+qualities.

I'm so dumb facepalm

And I was afraid my magic would bring social stigma, I guess I've got nothing to worry 8)

Do you have an example of that? It is not as thought magic is directly moving the weapon and the weapon is not magic in itself. While the animated corpse would not be able to penetrate the MR a spear it is carrying would be able to do it.

Oh, no, not even close from what you've written and knowing what I have in mind. I've also decided her casting sigil should be spooky/eerie. Gotta go with it.

On a different note, a question about Maintaining the Demanding Spell: If a Concentration effect is being maintained by magic, you can still shut it off by concentrating on it and shutting it down, right? I ask more to establish clarity than anything else. ArM5 uses this interpretation in the section on familiars, very specifically citing this as a main reason to use D: Concentration plus maintaining the spell over D: Sun. It's just that ArM5 states it implicitly instead of explicitly that I like to bring in up now.

Well, ghosts who enable themselves to grab physical things must penetrate when wielding physical swords. I don't see that this is much different. Of course, she's much better off if her animated human corpses in the future don't need to worry about this issue. But I do think it's the correct interpretation.

If the magic were different, then I would agree with you. If we're looking at preserving the corpse from decay, for example, I don't think that effect needs to be considered at all for penetration because it has nothing at all to do with the attack.

Agreed, if you're still talking about wielding a weapon.

I'd agree, but this is one for our SG. :slight_smile:/3289

I would think the spell goes on as long as the maintaining spell's duration. I don't understand the argument concerning the familiar.

l would suggest that you request a forum already, by the way. It can take a while.