ArM5: Loch Ness: A New Dawn [4-7+]

I actually expect my character will be at a 3 in all arts... he will really be a character with a lot of potential, a lot of anger, a tragic background whose development will be defined very much by how things go forward...

I'm still strongly considering the MuAu end of the original Idea I mentioned. I haven't heard a request for healing. Maybe someone else can handle the Corpus end of things. However, on the ritual end I will be able to handle the Aegis. How high a level will we want? I won't be able to pull off Durenmar levels yet, but learning level 50 from a lab text wouldn't be hard. At the same time, we'll want to consider penetration and if we want to use Sun-duration versions of Wizards' Communion.

I can do something with Corpus, if no one else does.

I am considering having a companion who was apprenticed under the same master but rejected (since he never developed the rebellious spirit) then effectively enslaved as a lab assistant until freed by my character killing his parens- how would the rest of the troop feel about an abandoned apprentice as companion character?

My plan was Creo/Muto and Vim/Aq. Corpus would fit too.

You mean like a failed apprentice companion?

You mean a Gifted companion that can become a full mage in the Order?

I'm thinking gifted, opened, undertrained, no parma, and in his 30s. But I am flexible on this concept.

I could do Mentem and Terram - maybe with a minor focus in sleep, an ex misc tradition that grants Speech with the silent to talk with elemental spirits, charming, something like that. We already have a Gentle gift, so I'll consider skipping that

My concept is shifting a bit from my initial premise...! I'm settling on a curious and gossipy Bonisagus cursed by faeries for sticking her nose where it didn't belong during apprenticeship. Totally incapable of keeping a secret thanks to that! Poking into faerie business will probably remain a part of the character - perhaps to unravel the nature of the malediction? I think I'm going to go with a combination of Vim and Imaginem for forms. Techniques will probably be all over the place.

Mostly settled V&Fs for review~

Flaws: busybody (personality, minor); optimistic (personality, major); Greater Malediction - Indiscreet (story, major); difficult longevity ritual (hermetic, major).

Virtues: apt student (minor); gossip (minor); skilled parens (minor); flexible formulaic magic (major); hermetic alchemy (minor); philosophic alchemy (major).

Oh! Also: can we get access to the wiki to put character sheets up and such?

If it's using the companion slot (as you said above) Won't this end in you having either two magi characters?
Not a fan of that at all.

forum is created

depends on your perspective- the companion is opened, but not officially a magus, and in addition to being undertrained I was planning on taking the poor flaw- so he would be so severely undertrained he would never make an acceptable apprentice and his odds of becoming an actual acknowledged magus are close to nill, and accordingly he will likely never have his own lab, sanctum, etc.
On the other hand he can do some hermetic magic and can improve in it, albeit slowly.
The character concept comes from the magus' background so like I said I'm flexible on this...

How could they not be trained to be an acceptable apprentice. It is simply time and effort. They could be 30 years old and have no Latin at all but with open arts and be trained as an apprentice.

But if everything works out, the companion has magical powers and can be a cheap lab assistant up to the point that can slowly be trained as a mage but never be accepted as an apprentice...unless someone claims him/her.

I'm not really a fan of this either. It seems to be a cheap way of getting extra help in the lab.

Taking Poor doesn't track with making him a bad apprentice. It just means he gets fewer XP for the chargen process. Anyone with the Gift is useful (eventually) to a magus in the lab. I mean if you want to give him Int -5 and Poor Student along with Master of None (from Grogs, so probably not allowed) you have something of a character who matches you description of being nigh untrainable and not of use to a magus.
Posted from my phone where it's difficult to check back for the allowed books and apologies for DYACs.

I'm considering an ernest elementalist Tremere sent out from Transylvania to watch the borders of civilization for threats against the Order. (or however you want to interpret that freed of House Tremere spin... :smiley: )

Nothing like getting promoted sideways to keep you out of each other's hair :laughing:

We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming for a very important announcement:

[size=200]The Saga thread is live![/size]

You may now return to your...whatever you were doing. :laughing:

Yep. And that chance is 100%. :stuck_out_tongue:

Any Hermetic apprentice (or former apprentice) who takes the Companion slot has to have the Failed Apprentice Flaw (or something similar) that prevents him from ever becoming a full-fledged Magus. One Magus and one Companion per character.

Everyone can (or should be able to) make threads on the Shiny New Thread for their Magus and Companion characters. Please use the format "CharName (development)". This will be the threads in which we discuss the characters' development and advancement during play.