Aura spells

Now, I do not have all the books, so I might ask a question about stuff that is already in the game, if s, I would be happy to be directed to any book containing it.

One of my players has asked about the possibility to do aura spells in order to be a support mage. i.e. she casts a spell on herself and she radiates an effect to those who are near her. Is this possible within any magic system in the published 5th edition books.

Bjornaer Sensory Magic (HoH:MC p 27)

It's the same as the magical senses in ArM5 p113, but applied to a technique other than Intellego.

Divine via its one methods or incorporating Holy Magic includes Aura spells. See RoP:D.

Holy Magic Presence still requires you to sense the target, you just don't have to speak as with Voice range. It's kind of like getting Sight range, only it's limited by your Presence characteristic and costs the same as Voice. Bjorner Sensory Magic has its own limits, in that the effect has to make sense for the medium - flames are transmitted by touch, while emotions could be created through scents, sound or sight. It's still very powerful, given it bypasses the need to sense your target.

Note that the core rulebook allows you create different R/D/T (Core rulebook pg 114), but you'll have to negotiate with the Storyguide. It's supposed to be less efficient than the nearest comparable R/D/T, so an 'aura' spell would function like Room/Group, but probably be +3M rather than the +2 Room Target gets.

Oh, and there is a spell in the Guernicas section of HoH:TL you might want to look at. It keeps people from noticing you, but I forget the name at the moment.

Although not quite what you mean, you can easily do something similar with vanilla Hermetic effects. Use Circle target spells, and combine with some way (probably ReTe) of moving the circle around (and take a Focus in circle spells).

I would worry that "moving the circle around" is too broadly defining how circles/rings work, and would lead to "abuse" - but ysmv.

What you do have to be careful of, you can't (in Hermetic magic) have an effect that then itself casts a spell. So a Hermetic Mage can't create an effect that then allows anyone later coming in "range" of that effect to gain an effect.

o Good Example: Circle of Night Vision:

Gives Cat's Eyes to anyone within the circle when the spell is cast.

o Flawed Example: Circle of the Gift of Night Vision

Gives Cat's Eyes to anyone who enters the circle while the effect lasts.

The mage casts the effect - the effect itself doesn't cast an effect later. (exception: Watching Wards, some rare legacy spells, etc.) Of course, you can houserule anything you want - just make sure the rule is consistent and not open to (whatever you see as) "abuse", and you're good to go.

We try to forget about that one.

Yep. this is the bunny.

I'd rather say it's the inverse of magical senses, but I think I see what you mean.

Actually there are examples of either one in RAW

Incantation of Putrid Wine

Lungs Of the Fish

I've always played it that you can do one or the other. Sensory Magic as a special unique snowflake type thing actually seems to be able to do both with one spell.

It also depends what you mean exactly by aura.

If you stricly mean generating a magic aura which grants a bonus to spell casting the answer is "No". There are some high power ritual which allow to create and boost aura, but they are 1) ritual, 2) high-level, 3) definitely not mobile, 4) not personal. I believe it will take more than even just an Hermetic Breakthrough to have a mage generate a magical aura (bribing your GM is about the only research option with a chance of success I see for that one :smiley: ).

Now if it is about any other improvement (like suggested by many others), Group seems to be usually more advantageous than what you want to achieve by an Aura: when casting a group spell, you can easily select your targets (all the one holding hands), but an aura won't discriminate between the one you want to affect and the one you want to exclude. It can be really annoying if some mundane (or priest) walk nearby the "aura magus" and suddently realise he sees things better, or feels stronger...

You could possibly suggest a virtues like Affinity with Group spell (probably a Major Hermetic virtue considering its broad application), making research and casting of such spell easier. Group range also solve the issue of mobility and people getting in and out of the aura range.

An alternative could be a minor research to discover a new range/area (15 points research) - the name of the adequate mystery elude me for now, based on Pythagorism and magical number/geometry.This new range could be "Geometrical boundary". Probably similar range as "Sight", a magus casting a spell with this range can define a simple geometrical shape (triangle, circle, square...) no more than 10 or 20 paces in its longest dimension as an area of effect (you can either set an absolute value, or consider it a multiple of Artes Liberales score like 3 or 5 times his score in paces). A Finesse roll is required to define precisely the shape. In case of failure, the spell starts to fade quickly as magic leaks from the incorrect geometry and dissipate within a few rounds.

It will avoid the lenghty discussion link to use of circle duration/range and possible abuse of it. Also, since the mage do not have to draw a circle, it is easier to recast several times giving a sense of mobility to the spell.

What my player wants to do is to cast a spell that affects her and all those who stand around her within say 2-3 meters. So she can in combat have spells that protects the group, but is not a circle. But if her companions leave her side, they will not be affected until they again come within the aura/area of effect

This I like, thank you!

I made a mistake here, it should not be similar to Sight, but similar to "Structure" in term of level - I was mixing range (Sight) with Area of effect (Structure).

Glad that you like my proposal :smiley:

Bjornaer sensory magic would indeed give results similar to projecting an aura. But I don't see how they're like magical senses at all, ( reading further in the thread, I see I'm not the first person to say this).

An option would be to create a simple structure when you cast. A courtyard is a room for the purposes of defining a target. A simple creo herbam device to erect some temporary incomplete walls of leaves is probably within the abilities of most magi as a lesser enchanted device. You could follow it up with a target room spell.

Another choice would be to use a non-standard target you can do this with formulaic spells but it requires a higher level spell

A third choice would be target group.

this looks like a group but it probably wouldn't work during combat. But if we're looking at combat, the sensory magic and the target room options won't discriminate either.

I am also against having spells with target circle or duration ring move. It has lead to real problems that I've experienced in my games.

I don't see how you can (easily) have the ring/circle move in the first place. You have to draw/trace a ring around the target(s) and the magic ends if they leave the circle or the circle is broken. A good ReTe spell could move the ring around, but as a Storyguide I'd be demanding Finesse rolls to keep the circle from being damaged. If you enchant a magic chain to float around centered on you, that might be another story, but that will still make travel difficult (any deformation of said chain sort of ruins the circle IMO).

T: Group?
It doesn't do exactly this, but isn't it at least as good?

Make the circle out of your favourite material (stone, wood, metal, ducks, whatever). Perhaps use a CrFo effect with Duration to create the circle on the fly, but a mundane one will work fine if you have time to get organised. Yes, of course you need to trace the circle when casting the spell. Then use an effect like Unseen Porter (maybe with a size modifier depending on the size of the circle) to float the circle around. What can go wrong!

Really this should only apply if you've made the circle out of something fragile.

Um.... no.

IoPW specifically says it does not affect liquids brought into the room after the spell is cast, and LotF is affecting the water, not another individual.

In canon, not really, but a Virtue could do allow it. Or a Hermetric Breakthrough. Or just handwave that and houserule "+2 magnitudes, done" - any of those could work.

Note that Hermetic magic does not generally allow a "later entry" to be affected - all targets have to be present when the spell is cast. (There are ways to allow another to breathe underwater - LotF is not one of them.)

Let's not have this discussion - not here. Please.

Some Troupes read "break the circle" as physically damaging a tangible object and causing those physical parts to separate - others read that same phrase as any crossing of the geometric limit that the circle inscribes in space. Or possibly something in between - all are correct for their Saga, there is no canon definition one way or the other.

Move along, good gaming to all.

Please reread the post you quoted. Look at how my examples line up and appologize.

Um... I am not sure how to respond to that.

But your examples are not those, as I explained.

IoPW is not a counter-example to what I said, and nor is LotF. So nothing "lines up" afaict. In fact, it's not at all clear to me what you think/thought either of those spells say about what I said. They seem rather randomly selected - at least, they don't speak for themselves at face value, or not as clearly as you seem to think they do.

Perhaps you can clarify why you posted them and why you think they contradict my statements, before demanding apologies?

IoPW was not a counter example it lines up with exactly the same kind of effect your first example provides. LotF is clearly a counter example as it constantly effects new water as it comes into range throughout the duration of the spell. Lining up quite well with your second example, which it follows. They are not randomly selected they are good examples which follow each other closly in the book so one can compare and contrast.