Bashir ibn Kamal - Development

So is Bashir meant to be the physician that is employed by Pere (Fightmaster's Jerbiton)? Just curious, since if you're closed to finished he could likely jump in the Sharkman Begins thread at some point, since I assume Pere generally travels with his physician.

I've edited Bashir to address some of the concerns raised.

Frankly, I like the idea that he was captured in Mallorca and brought to Andorra, where he was offered a place as physician (probably for a finder's fee to the mercenaries). That has the benefit of fitting into the history very neatly and requires the fewest suspensions of disbelief.

As for him being the physician employed by Pere, I had assumed that he would be employed by the covenant in general, rather than one person. I certainly don't mind him travelling with Pere as a personal physician, but I was hoping to give him a connection to Lucas as he taught Lucas some medicine. Then again, is there really a place in a covenant for two physicians?

I'll leave the decision of how to reconcile all this with Fightmaster and Marko. I'll go along with whatever fits the story best.

In general I like it. He's very focused on Medicine but has a good spread of lower scores otherwise. I don't see an age, though.

Speaking only for myself, I would appreciate it if you didn't use either Donna or Adan as a model, but instead looked at the other companions on the wiki for a better idea of the saga's power level. Assuming Bashir is at least in his mid-30s, your current draft is in the neighborhood of our existing characters.

Otherwise, just a couple things. Most of the posts here focus on his Chirurgy, but it's his Medicine that's 8+2. Did you edit that in the original post at some point? Also, if you choose to pick up a copy of A&A (which I recommend for a physician character) you may want to drop his Medicine to 7+2 and spend those extra xp on 'formulae', which are basically mundane equivalents of weak enchantments, designed around astrology, alchemy, and medicine.

It's possible Pere could have 'recruited' Bashir in the winter of 1234 while he was first investigating Mallorca. Maybe his Jewish physician didn't want to leave Barcelona and he was seeking a replacement. Once Pere realized how skilled Bashir was, he expanded the arrangement to the whole covenant to curry favor with his new superiors. I wouldn't expect Bashir to tag along with Pere at all times, but being based in Mallorca for at least the next few years would be nice. The portals will allow Bashir to roam around as much as most magi and participate in any adventure that catches your fancy. As for Lucas, maybe his instruction started elsewhere but he'll quickly develop a relationship with Bashir and enter his tutelage? Does any of that work?

Sorry about that. It's on the spreadsheet I used to make up the character, but I forgot to note it on the posted stats. He's 33.

I did edit the original post because I realized upon reading the healing rules that you simply take the best of Chirurgery and Medicine. That means that doubling up doesn't really help you at all. So I focused him entirely on Medicine. (Though I still dumped a bunch of points into Chirurgery, since it seemed like he ought to know that stuff too.)

Part of my inspiration for the character is Stephen Maturin from the Patrick O'Brien Aubrey-Maturin series. As Maturin is fond of observing, "I am a physician, not a simple-minded doctor."

I'll have to pick up A&A to see what the formulae are like. It sounds like your idea is a good one, to squeeze some points out to buy formulae.

That works for me. If Marko is good with it, then I'd be happy to set that as his background.

The Flame Brothers are still in Mallorca. My rowdy bunch of almogavers (stationed at Andorra) are part of a larger organization, so if you still want to be captured in the Siege of Palma, there would be no problem with that.

Cheers,
Xavi

You don't pick the best - the skill you use depends on the source of the wound. Wounds caused by physical injury require Chirurgy, while wounds caused by disease require Medicine. The 'Medical Attention' paragraph on p. 180 in the main book clarifies this.

Considering all suggestions and adjustments, all looks good to me.

I disagree. The theme of this saga has ever been to "play with power". And Johan has high scores too, and Alexandro. High scores are okay if they make sense. Being min/maxed to resemble more of a caricature as opposed to a character, that is where I get bothered. Like the ten year old master dwarf smith idea we nixed. Donna is a more complex master smith character, silveroak is making effort to work with me to smoothly integrate her existence into the covenant, and through conflict we have achieved growth.
I don't remember Adan. I need to look him up to see what the worry there is.
But Donna is a good example of the limit these other players will accept. To gain their acceptance, don't push the limits. This is a troupe style game. I must ever yield to the majority if I am to maintain their trust and cooperation. It is sort of like being Pontifex who must yield to the Masters the authority to scrutinize those they would accept as a Journeyman. :mrgreen:

In keeping with fightmaster's comments, I evened out Medicine and Chirurgey again so that he can handle every aspect of being a physician. This gives him a 6+2 in each, which seems more than respectable to me. I'll probably also fiddle with the points a small bit when I get A&A in the next day or two so that I can buy a few formulae. But aside from that, I think Bashir is close to final form.

I also picked up Art & Academe, and am looking at the rules for formulae. It notes that in order to make theriacs you need to have access to a lab. Is it safe to assume that the covenant would be able to supply Bashir with a lab so that he can make theriacs?

That's gonna be on Pere's dime, unless you decide to work directly for the covenant.

I thought the plan was for him to work directly for the covenant. His compassionate nature won't let him serve as a private physician to one man (at least for long). He'll want to serve a much larger group than that. A covenant would be nice because they might treat him better, knowing what it's like to be discriminated against. And with two mercenary companies and a whole bunch of covenfolk, he'll have a nice group to take care of.

Improved Characteristics add +3 points with which to buy stats, meaning you've got 10 points instead of 7.

You are at... 11.

Compassionate and Dutybound are quite redundant. His compassion has him treat anyone. His Duty has him heal anyone. It also tends to overlap slightly with non combatant (In that both are personnality flaws that make him non-inclined to hurt people).

I'd say, drop Dutybound and Non-combattant.
Take Ability Block: Martial instead of non-combatant (he is really not a fighting man) or Flashbacks (in Grogs) from the war and fighting. And then, take another general or personality flaw that add some dimension to him instead of just piling on the same nail :wink:

If I were you, I'd really check Ars and Academe (Ah, I see I've been beaten to it. Twice. Thrice :laughing: )

IIRC, there are differences in A&A. The one I do recall is that Medecine lets you do some of the funky stuff. OTOH, chirurgy is used to treat wounds and opening up the body.
So it depends on your preference. What do you want him to be best at?

If you intend to buy A&A, I think we can all agree to let you shift your skill once you've read it. Oh, you've picked it :laughing:
Take a little time to look at ligatures and theriacs, see if you want to go that route or not.

Given how theriacs can be useful, once he's demonstrated his ability, I think so, if you work for the covenant, of course.

I've now picked up Art & Academe and Grogs, so I have a much greater list of flaws to look through. I'll scan those today and see what fits.

I will quibble a bit as between Compassionate and Vow to uphold Hippocrates laws. One speaks to him as wanting to help other people. The other is a limit on what he will and won't do as a physician.

Okay, I've fixed the stat points. Sorry about that. I must have fiddled with them here and off the spreadsheet and added up wrong.

I've also mixed around his flaws to try and give him a bit more character. Grogs definitely helped.

Oh, and I just went ahead and dedicated 20 points for formulae. That should give him a good start. He can pick up more along the way.

Hopefully he's getting closer to done.

can yo repost him in full so I can see the latest version?
And, IMO, Non-Combatant is a good pick for a character like this. But Ability Block is good too. You could take both?

[size=150]Bashir ibn Kamal[/size]

Bashir ibn Kamal was born in [CITY] in the dying days of the Moorish conquest of Spain. His early life was one of privilege and education, his father wanting nothing but the best for his boy. He was educated at a fine school in Granada, learning languages, philosophy, and the Koran. When he was twenty, he travelled to Mallorca to study medicine. There he found his true calling, in healing the sick and tending to the injured.

The next eight years were good years for Bashir. He had his work, and he had his faith, and he knew he was doing a lot of good for a great many people. That ended when he heard that [CITY] was overrun and his family was forced to flee to Africa. At first he was despondent. But over time he began to accept that it might be a great deal of time before he ever saw his family again.

Two years after that, Mallorca was invaded by forces from Aragon. Bashir was not a fighting man, but he was kept busy tending to wounded soldiers. Unfortunately, for the Moorish residents, however, the attacking force was too great, and the defending forces were ultimately defeated. Bashir was captured and ultimately brought to the covenant of Andorra where he was offered a position.

STATISTICS
[table][tr][th][left]Stat[/left][/th] [th]Value[/th] [th]Cost[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Int[/td] [td][center]+3[/center][/td] [td][center]6[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Per[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Str[/td][td][center]0[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Sta[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Pre[/td] [td][center]-1[/center][/td] [td][center]-1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Com[/td][td][center]+2[/center][/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dex[/td] [td][center]+2[/center][/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Qui[/td] [td][center]-2[/center][/td] [td][center]-3[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

VIRTUES
[table][tr][th][left]Virtue[/left][/th] [th]Value[/th] [th]Level[/th] [th]Type[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Good Teacher[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td] [td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Educated[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td] [td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Cautious with Chirurgery[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td] [td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Cautious with Medicine[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td] [td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Puissant with Chirurgery[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td] [td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Puissant with Medicine[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td] [td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Self-Confident[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Privileged Upbringing[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td] [td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Improved Characteristics[/td] [td][center]+1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td] [td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

FLAWS
[table][tr][th][left]Flaw[/left][/th] [th]Value[/th] [th]Level[/th] [th]Type[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Outsider - Moor[/td] [td][center]-3[/center][/td] [td][center]major[/center][/td][td][center]status[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Compassionate[/td] [td][center]-3[/center][/td] [td][center]major[/center][/td][td][center]personality[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ability Block - Martial[/td] [td][center]-1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td][td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Lingering Wound - leg wound[/td] [td][center]-1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td] [td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Fish Out of Water - cities & towns[/td] [td][center]-1[/center][/td] [td][center]minor[/center][/td] [td][center]general[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

PERSONALITY
[table][tr][td]Pious[/td] [td][center]+2[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Introverted[/td][td][center]-1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Compassionate[/td][td][center]+3[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

ACADADEMIC ABILITIES
[table][tr][th][left]Ability[/left][/th][th][left]Specialty[/left][/th][th]Score[/th] [th]Points[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Artes Liberales - Latin, Greek, Arabic alphabets[/td] [td]astrology[/td][td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Latin[/td][td]medical terminology[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]45[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Medicine[/td][td]physician[/td][td][center]6+2[/center][/td] [td][center]105[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Philosophiae[/td][td]alchemy[/td][td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Theology – Christianity[/td] [td]biblical knowledge[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Theology – Islam[/td] [td]knowledge of the Koran[/td][td][center]2[/center][/td][td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

GENERAL ABILITIES
[table][tr][th][left]Ability[/left][/th][th][left]Specialty[/left][/th][th]Score[/th] [th]Points[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Al Mansur Lore[/td] [td]places[/td][td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mallorca Lore[/td] [td]places[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]30[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Animal Handling[/td] [td]healing[/td][td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Awareness[/td][td]assess patient[/td][td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bargain[/td][td]medical supplies[/td][td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Charm[/td][td]looking harmless[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td][td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Chirurgery[/td][td]bind wounds[/td] [td][center]6+2[/center][/td] [td][center]105[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Concentration[/td] [td]surgery[/td][td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Etiquette[/td][td]townfolk[/td][td][center]2[/center][/td][td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Folk Ken[/td] [td]patients[/td][td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Language: Arabic[/td] [td]classical[/td][td][center]5[/center][/td] [td][center]0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Language: Spanish[/td] [td]Castilian[/td][td][center]5[/center][/td][td][center]75[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Language: Occitan[/td] [td]Catalan[/td][td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]20[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Language: French[/td] [td]Bourguignon[/td][td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]20[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Language: Greek[/td] [td]medical terminology[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]50[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Music[/td][td]qanun[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]15[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ride[/td] [td]speed[/td][td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Swim[/td] [td]distance[/td][td][center]1[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Teaching[/td][td]Medicine[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td][td][center]50[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

FORMULAE
[table][tr][th][left]Formula[/left][/th] [th]Type[/th] [th]Strength[/th][th]Cost[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Tonic of Gold[/td] [td][center]theriac[/center][/td][td][center]Weak[/center][/td] [td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mustard Plaster[/td] [td][center]theriac[/center][/td] [td][center]Moderate[/center][/td][td][center]5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Hyacinth Plaster[/td] [td][center]theriac[/center][/td][td][center]Moderate[/center][/td][td][center]10[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

Hyacinth Plaster
Theriac Level 5
Potency: Moderate
When applied to a wound, this linen cloth smeared with ointment containing ground hyacinth (among other things) grants a +3 to the patient’s next Wound Recovery rolls for all Heavy, Medium, and Light Wounds by drawing out accumulated choler, which causes inflammation.
(base 3, +3 Strong)

Agreed. Pere doesn't mind having a physician on retainer. He does mind providing a lab for said physician out of his own pocket. :slight_smile: Still, it shouldn't be all that expensive. I was skimming A&A last night and it suggested magi who practice the experimental arts could have a second lab with Upkeep -3 for that purpose.

Fleur would concur, with her interest in fertility and associated arts, I'm sure there will be theriatrics(and some tutoring in Chirurgy) that she would find usefull.

There will definitely be theriacs, as well as teaching in both Medicine and Chirurgery, depending upon demand.