being grantad immortality

don't get me wrong ( I probably am. It is veery hard to think proprrly or type)
might = imortality

*if a mythic artifact can grant the increased might quality, would it suffice to protect a mortal?
And since it is a ritual power, it can rescind it at will.

IMO, this might be the source of the apples of idun, and the foutains of youth.

what do you think?

don't get me wrong ( I probably am. It is veery hard to think proprrly or type)
might = imortality

*if a mythic artifact can grant the increased might quality, would it suffice to protect a mortal?
And since it is a ritual power, it can rescind it at will.

IMO, this might be the source of the apples of idun, and the foutains of youth.

what do you think?

You will receive notifications because you created this topic.

Which realm are you looking at?

isn't it part of a Human's Essential Nature to be mortal?
What do they change into when granted immortality?

Magic or farie.
a ritual bpower can grant increased might. this makes contestested artefects betweeen critters, but what it a human usesit?

Magical or faerie beings, I'd say. !It may be a curse, tooo

I don't think the Magic Realm has a rule for temporary might, but I know the Faerie Realm has some (See changing your virtue set with fable points in the faerie realm). You might be able to extrapolate from there. On the magic side, I remember a few precedents for virtues being granted that can be withdrawn by the magical being.

The Human nature is composed of two aspects; body and soul. The soul is the immortal aspect; in a sense everyone in Mythic Europe is immortal to a degree - afterlives are real after all.

If I'm not mistaken this is reflected in the Merinita Mystery of Becoming. Just by transforming your body into that of a Fae you stop aging. You don't even need to transform your Mind or Soul/Spirit to benefit from this. Ironically the best path to Immortality is half-assing your way through the epitome of your Cult's teachings :grin:

Of course, as a Wizard, Warping could always do you in rather than Aging, at which point acquiring a Might Score (Transformation of Spirit / Soul, i.e. immunity to Warping) becomes a welcome addition to your immortality...

Or the somewhat more familiar Bjornaer route, where they discard their human body at Final Twilight and become immortal by physically embracing their spiritual heartbeast,

Though I was under the impression that Great Beasts do not think in a Human fashion particularly well after transformation.

I suspect that the Merinita Becoming mystery Faerie transformation that has a better Pretence of acting Human.

1 Like

Not all creatures with Might are immortal, not even from aging. However most methods for acquiring might also makes you immune to aging (Great Elixir, Ascendancy, Living Ghost, the Artist thing in A&A, etc).

Just having Might isn't enough though and I don't remember Magic Powers being capable of granting Magic Qualities? Even then doesn't Improved Might need a starting Might Score?

If you want immortality granted by a Magic Powers from some random Magic Thing you could have one who grants Transformed Being (Major Virtue) which depending on the kind of creature you become may or may not make you immortal.

Yes, I think normally Increased Might can only be obtained after you qualify for it. Which, depending on realm, usually requires a preliminary virtue such as Humanoid Faerie or Transformed Being.

That being said, on the Magic Realm side, faining Might 0 comes with the perks of immunity to aging, deprivation and Warping normally - unless flaws are involved.

Having Might is not the same as immortality. While it grants immunity to aging and warping, it only provides resistance against deprivation (can't recover any spent Might) and no protection against disease or trauma. (see ArM5, p.182 and TM(R), p.133)

Compare gaining might against things like "The Great Elixir" (TM(R), p.43) and other effects which grant immortality.

True Immortal vs Only Might

• Deprivation (Food/Water/Sleep/Breath): True Immortals don't suffer any penalties (except lack of speech without air) while beings with Only Might need to do all of these to recover spent Might points.
  • Severe Damage: True Immortals wounds never worsens and always fully recovers in no longer than a season. Only Might wounds can worsen and do not auto recover. True Immortals also have a different Recovery roll compared to everyone else and can recover far faster.
  • Lost Limbs/Organs: True Immortals will regenerate the limb after a season, while Only Might will have to use magic to regrown the limb.
  • Mental Changes: True Immortals revert back any mental changes in no more than a season if they are not sustained by magic, while Only Might will not. True Immortals will always revert back to the Personality Traits they had when they gained Immortality, while those with Only Might can change their Personality Traits. True Immortals will regain memories erased by magic once the magic is no longer sustained (no longer than a season, but can be much shorter since it is a weekly recovery roll that gains +3 for every week).
  • Might Stripper Spells: True Immortals specifically and clearly only take temporary Might loss by Might Stripper spells unless they are utterly destroyed (full recovery by the next day). Only Might loses permanent Might (unless you are playing with some House Rule) and reverts to mundane if all of their Might is stripped (though Might 0 is valid so enough stripper to take them into negatives is required).
  • Gaining XP: True Immortals have to bind XP and new spells into an enchantment or they loss them. Only Might has a penalty to their seasonal XP equal to their Might and can offset the penalty by using Vis. Only Might also has no issues learning new spells.
3 Likes