Between Sand & Sea: Mythic Africa

Why purchase at Orc's Nest. Go up to Finchley (Take the northgoing Black Line to Finchley Central and go up Ballards Lane, and go northwards till yo see a KFC sign on left sign of the road). The store Leissure Games can be found across the street

Leissure games are a very good store who can help you get what they don't happen to have in at the very moment.

Bless you my child! will go tomorrow.

Bob

I read through the Settuten (I'm the mechanics guy, not the setting guy). In their introduction Disjunction sounded formidable, then I read the description and thought "this ability is near useless because it is so rarely applicable" and then I read the bit about dispelling magic and thought "disjunction rocks hard". I imagine that this was a difficult thing to write rules for. Was there a specific legend that you were trying to emulate? How much of my initial impression regarding disjunction being only useful in exceedingly rare occasions for what is described as its primary use but being exceedingly useful for its "magical defense" purpose do you believe is correct?

Mark S wrote the settuten (although I contributed some ideas to some of the mechanics and the Tuareg settuten variant ideas).

He can comment further - I don't think we had a specific historical / folkloric precedent but were looking for an explanation of why the "Berber Wizards" could withstand the sahir that travelled across the northern African coast on their way to Iberia and a metagame reason for why there was minimal Hermetic settlement in the area.

Lachie

Give it a couple weeks to go international, folks.

I see that Timothy is one of the authors. He also wrote Alexander from Magi of Hermes. I haven't yet found a reference to him within the new book

Timothy, which areas in specific do you imagine that Alexander is most interested in? Having been part of a book specifically detailing the area of Alexander's interest, are there some plot hooks that you'd imagine using him for?

Alexander in Magi of Hermes is primarily interested in Kushite ruins, so he'd be in Meroe, which is not in this book (it's in modern Sudan). That being said, his techniques would work anywhere in the Sahara. I'd argue he's more likely to survive near Meroe simply because the desert there is less filled with servants of the Red. It's pretty clearly in the Land of the Black.

I am at the slight disadvantage that I tend to think of the two books as one piece of work, and so I've just deleted a paragraph about a mechanic which is in the Egypt book, not this one. 8)

Since he is interested in travel, if he discovered the Black Nile Regio, that would probably be the rest of his career: charting it and so on. If it contains elements of fallen civilisations, he would be very interested in that of course. Why study ruins if you can just go talk to the people and hook them up with House Ex Miscellanea?

Orcs Nest usually get a book in abut 2 weeks after it is released. I always find them very helpful and their website says when the item will be available. I usually nip down at lunchtime after checking by phone. More than once they have opened up newly arrived boxes to find me the latest Ars book.

Oooh, excited to hear it's already been sighted in the wild! Hoping it'll make its way to Spain soon! :smiley:

MY FLGS is telling me Between Sand & Sea is not available from either of their distributors.

Inspiration for the settuten as a whole comes from the legend of Yemma nDunnit, who seeks to undo all things. So all of the powers of the settuten are targeted at destroying things. Another factor in their conception was the fact that Berber magicians are said to have halted the spread of the sahir, and (partially) caused the rift between the eastern/Baghdadi and western/Cordovan traditions. The ability to disrupt The Gift seemed like a good way to do this.

I see the primary use of Disjunction is to "cure" male children from The Gift, preventing them from growing up to become sahirs (remember in Berber thought, sihr is "sun magic" and therefore male). This also makes their mothers love them again (since the social impact of The Gift is gone). The power to halt a fully trained magician should be there, but unlikely to be that effective. However, it needed a balance, else it would be basically useless, and that is where the 'magical defense' aspect comes in. This also meshes well with the societal role of the settuten (and their mistress Yemma nDunnit) -- they are not evil despite being fundamentally destructive. The ability to disjunct magic and break curses seems like good fulfillment of that role.

I'm also quite fond of the way that the settuten have found to be organised despite the negative aspects of The Gift. They use Disjunction on themselves, so when they meet in conclave they have no magical powers and no social penalty.

Mark

So any comments or feedback on this...

Still waiting for it to get to the UK...

It got delayed in the US too, I'm not sure why, so I just got it and haven't read it very thoroughly yet. First impressions are that the material inside is very very cool but the book is desperately in need of more editing.

I believe there was an issue with the barcode which delayed things.

As far as editing goes, care to elaborate? Seems like an unfortunate comment to toss away casually; I'm nosing though it, and I don't see anything "desperately" troublesome.

I agree with Ben - not sure what is encompassed by "needs more editing". Feedback always welcome.

I may have come on a little strong - I like the book very much. Nonetheless, I found that the editing made it hard to peruse. Just offhand what struck me were:

The most annoying was that text boxes were out of order and left me scratching my head over "just what was that?", only to find the mysterious terms discussed on the following pages in the main text.

The use of "marabout" in textual sections and "murabit" in the Divine section, is confusing.

Descriptions of Berber religion are scattered through the book, both in the culture and the Magic sections. It didn't feel like it all came together.

The section on the Red and the Black, presented as a major theme, is never really developed and the idea of a Black Nile is never fully described. It feels like something got cut here.

Overall, this might not matter if the subject were more familiar to the reader but North Africa is very foreign to most of our experiences and these little things mean a lot, at least in my opinion.

Getting off the editing and on to the substance, here's a little point that puzzled me.

How come the ghost of Tin Hinan, described as "a powerful settut", doesn't actually have any Settut magic skills?

Shades are not meant to have everything they had in life. They:

So Tin Hinan has powers similar to what the myths of her claim, what the stories about her crypt claimed, and in ways that assist those associated with the Tuareg. And she has a Destruction and a Divination power-- which not directly stat'd out as Settut powers, is Divination as a Magic creature expresses the power and a focus power of Perdo-- also because she's a Magic creature now, and not a Settut anymore. There are also Settut texts inside her crypt, so she can read and share those insights, if need be, too.

Same for Spain...