I am mulling a hypothetical saga involving colonizing the Purple Islands. Ancient Magic's chapter on the Hesperides is the main inspiration. This quote from pg 92 of AM particular has me particularly thoughtful:
The Code May Not
Protect the Guan
The Code of Hermes prohibits magi from interfering with mundanes, but the Guan are the servants of a caste of hedge magicians. The Order has historically asked powerful wizards to join, under threat of death. Weaker magicians, like the Guan kings, have usually been told to serve the Order or die. The servants of magicians are the property of those magicians, and may be legitimately targeted.
Some in the Order would suggest that direct rule of the Guan is entirely within the Code. The Guan are not Christians, and their kings are always magicians. This has interesting political ramifications, but these are beyond the scope of this chapter.
The last part I bolded as this is the part I am most interested in. The goal would be to create a "Tribunal of the Hesperides", settled by Magi from the Theban Tribunal who want to create another Classical Greek speaking Tribunal, but one where the Order can openly integrate, or perhaps rule, the mundane society there.
How would the rest of the Order react to such a Peripheral Code? Though this may be putting the cart before the horse as there are other issues:
- Those in the order in favor of the Status quo will resist the new Tribunal, and perhaps argue it should be part of the Iberian Tribunal.
- The Guan are highly technologically backward, living in caves and still use stone tools. This means anything useful will have to be imported or created with magic.
- Technogical brought on by the PC's will affect the society there - though I know little of the anthropology/sociology of this.
- Getting enough Magi - 12 magi from at least 4 covenants is the requirement. The PC's will likely be 3 to 6, and can try to either bring in more people, or have lots of children and hope they don't want to leave.
- Historically the Spanish invade in the early 1400s and things go as bad you might think of early European colonization.This may happen sooner if the PCs antagonize other Hermetic factions in Europe.