Chapter 1: Meetings and Partings

Ilmari turns from the scene of the fallen Jacopo, and strides out into the night, the bundle of wool still in one hand, ignored but not forgotten.

"I know snowz, I weel maeke zem speak at me."

He kneels, barefooted in the fallen white and naked as the day he was born, and shows not the least sign of ill effect from the cold, his skin not so much as goose-fleshed, in comparison with those who rely on mere mundane protection, the thickest wool stabbed like a dagger by the icy winds. As there is magic afoot, and no guarantee that all is as it seems to the naked eye, he first invokes the formulaic Story of the Snows, and instantly gains knowledge of all that has transpired on or to the ice and snow within some hundred and fifty paces about - the steady fall, the several older tracks leading here, and then, he would expect, the recent steps of the departure of both Pryor and Cato. Specifically, he wants to make sure these tracks occurred naturally over time, and not all at once as some magical ruse, and also that no being is still lurking nearby, behind the falling snows, invisible to mundane vision.

If all is indeed as it seems, he takes this in consideration with what his mundane senses tell him, his experience as a hunter, tracking in the snows of the north, and then casts Tale of the Winter Trail, and the tracks themselves begin to sing to him, each set a slightly different magical voice. He stands and turns, speaking aloud what he has found.

He sees that his clothing is gone - and frowns, a low growl coming from his throat. If his axe is there he retrieves that, and, still under the long-lasting effects that allow him to walk on any snowy or ice surface, strides off after those who left those tracks, a naked man in the snows with an axe in one hand, and a ball of cloth wrapping something in the other.

"Come. Eef need, I can try you make for walk on some snowz, or for kip warm, budt you want for drop barma."

Winds steps forward, towards Ilmari. "I will join you in the hunt, if I won't slow you down too much. You seem quite adept at this."

Turning her attention away from the finn, she quietly cast a spell of her own, finishing with a nod to herself. Now not only does she have a warming spell on herself to keep her warm, she is protected from feeling the cold snow and wind as they travel. Then Winds frowns as she looks at her thumb, which is still the source of a light spell, and casts another spell to douse the light that would give their position away. Suddenly the group standing outside the cavern is plunged into darkness, the only light now coming from inside the cave.

Winds turns back to Ilmari, still naked and not caring. "I am ready. Well... that spell you are using to walk on snow looks very useful... I probably won't be able to keep up if I have to wade through all this snow... Very well." With a sigh, Winds convinces herself that lowering her Parma would be necessary to the hunt, and she holds out her hand to Ilmari. "Would you cast that snow walking spell upon me?" Her eyes seem to loose a bit of focus as she concentrates on withholding her Parma.

[i]Spont. Ward Vs. Cold: ReIg 10
(Re 8 + Ig 0 + Aura 4 + Sta 2 + Die 12)/2 = 14
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1947866/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1947867/

Spont. Unravelling the Fabric of Ignem
(Pe 6 + Vi 5 + Aura 4 + Sta 2 + Die 4)/5 = 4
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1947870/
Unravells Spell of Level 26 (Spell Level 4 + 10 + Die 12)
Target Spell Level was 10
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1947875/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1947877/ [/i]

Pryor looks impassively at his wounded master, his face showing only the barest hint of emotion as he goes over to aid Korvin. He notices the silver knife in Korvin's hand, and flinches. He speaks, shakily, his voice almost a growl.

"The first order he ever gave me was not to interfere should it ever came to this, and I cannot disobey. If you can save him, wizard, do so, for if he dies we are in deep trouble indeed. I will help you as I can."

Pryor's skin is stretched and pale against his naked frame, and his eyes are bloodshot, more corpse-like than ever. His long yellowed canines are visible just beneath his lips.

What are planning? Lower him into the spring and hope for a miracle?

Meanwhile, outside the cave
Ilmari's investigations reveal that the footprints are made by a man moving briskly across the snow. No one appears to be hiding outside. Tracking would be difficult without magical aid, but with your Intellego spells the trail is clear.

You and Winds head outside, following the trail through the winter night. It leads back toward the covenant. As you follow it, you feel more and more that you are following a path you have walked once before tonight, up a hill and along a path that should dead-end in a rockface but, tonight, does not.

You get closer and closer to this strange path, and the trail is getting fresher. When it is only minutes old, you notice a break in it. Your quarry stopped walking for a time, long enough to leave much deeper tracks facing in the direction of the manor house, as if he had paused for a moment and then continued on.

Jonathan, you get back to the covenant without incident and on your own, arriving just as Ilmari and Winds are leaving the cave (thanks to your head start and use of magic).

You finish speaking the words of your last Wizard's Leap, and see a harrowing sight, as strange as anything else tonight. The manor house, your home and the place you are sworn to protect, is on fire. Angry red flames lick around the building, climbing upward in defiance of the blizzard and the cold night. One of the towers is firmly ablaze, and the fire looks ready to spread.

Ilmari, if you have your full complement of spells up, you can see that the covenant is on fire, but you cannot tell how bad it is from here. By the time you realize all of this, the trail is barely minutes old - to divert yourselves from it to investigate the covenant would give your quarry a significant head start.

Apple watched Ilmari and Winds head off, following the tracks. He stands at the mouth of the cave, listening to Pryor's words. He closes his eyes and speaks strange words, grasping his blood covered hands together and moving them across the horizon with the pointer fingers sticking out. He finishes, frowns, and turns back to Pryor.

He places a hand on Pryor's shoulder and smiles, quite genuinely. "Alright. I'm going to try to stop this. But I need some help. I'm going after the others. Come to please. I'll have questions to ask along the way."

Apple turns to Korvin. "If you are done with that knife, can I have it?"

"No."

Apple shrugs. "Good enough then. Something else to use will turn up. Did you want to come with me?"

Apple looks down at Jacopo. "What else can be done for him?"

Korvin seems lost in thought for a moment then bends down and whispers something to Jacopo which causes a small smile.

"Take care of him the best that you can Pryor."

He then stands up an grips the knife.

"I'm going to kill Cato. Want to come?"

Apple's grin tightens, becomes almost skull like. "I thought you'ld never ask."

Apple gestures at a pool of Jacopo's blood, which both he and Korvin are covered in anyway. "This might not work...Cato may have thrown the knife away. But if he hasn't...the knife should have some of Jacopo's blood still on it. Or maybe he has some on him.

"My Coporem is awful," Apple admits, glancing up at Korvin. "Anything you can think to do with it?"

"It is more strongly linked to Jacopo than Cato but I have some ideas. I think this knife has a partner and Cato has it. Perhaps we can use that link. How is your Terram?"

"The second idea would be to use Jacopo to find Cato. It is tenuous but they have been enemies for so long they might be linked."

"What do you think?"

Apple sighs. "Another art I'm woefully lacking on. You're hitting all my weaknesses..." Apple frowns and rubs his chin. "Hatred is powerful. Revel in it if you must, but don't let it blind you..." he mutters.

"Maybe we can bring him to us."

Apple closes his eyes and makes gestures, mumbling words and touching his own throat.

Spont MuIm Lvl 1 +2 to Dur: Sun, +1 Magnitude to mimic (Lvl 5 sound right?) Because of his minor focus casting total should be 23 w/out aura. Will not fatigue

Apple looks at Korvin and says, "Well? Did it work?" in what should be Jacopo's voice. "Let me see the knife a moment."

Assuming the last spell worked, second spont ReIm, casting his voice using the arcance connection of the two knives to the location of the other knife. ReIm should be 27 w/out aura. Will spend a Confidence point and will fatigue.

[i]If that works...

Grasping the knife, Apple holds it to his mouth, his breath fogging the few bits of the blade not covered in Jacopo's drying blood. "Cato," he snarls in his best impression of Jacopo's sneering tone. "You failed again. And you'll fail again. We need to finish, you and I." Apple breaks his concentration and hands the knife back to Korvin. "Cover it. He may try to scry us. If he can only hear us, he'll hear Jacopo's voice.

"Where do you think he might have been heading?"[/i]

Korvin nods and smiles at Apple's trick. "Good one. With no clothes I will have to put the knife in the spring to cover it."

He climbs back into the spring and finds a small rock shelf near Jacopo and puts the knife there and lays Jacopo's hand on it.

"If he comes back invisible, how will we find him. I hope your Imaginem is not another weak spot. I will try something as well."

Korvin get out of the pool, cupping some water in his hand. He uses the water to mark a boundary at the entrance to the spring ( the inside part). Then uses that area to cast a spell.

spont InCr lvl 1 T:part D:Sun 14 + aura + 1d10=2 To detect anyone that comes in. Basically, some cans on a string to rattle.

"I don't know. [in a sarcastic tone] Probably to burn the Covenant down."

(backpost)

Ilmari nods, waits and casts his ReCo spell...

"Eet run moon to moon, so gud for you", he says as he casts it without mishap, and a second spell to aid her vision if she does not raise her parma immediately. "We go."

He turns from the cave, and follows the trail into the night and the falling snow...

[color=orange](Continued in "The Untrod Path" thread)

Apple shrugs. "Better with voices than I am the other senses, but I can mange quite a bit more."

"One moment. Do we stay here? He may not come back, depending on what the point of...all this," and Apple gestures towards Jacopo and the knife, "really is. And do we want to fight him here? Out in the open might help even things out." Apple considers. "I propose we follow the tracks. I'll call out to him as Jacopo from time to time. If we can, let's try to turn you unseen. I'll try to take Jacopo's guise. If he strikes, it will be at me. You can try to come at him from behind. Not sporting, but none of this is."

Your castings are successful.

During your planning, there is a subtle whisper of a breeze, that grows into a voice as though it were carried on the wind from a great distance. Cato’s voice, hard and rough, resolves around you echoes back inside the cavern, eerie and disembodied. Come, old friend, follow me if you can. Or send your little foundlings, I care not which. I will fulfill the prophecy, just as you intended from the beginning.

Jacopo gurgles in a corner. Merely a pained moan from a delirious man? Perhaps. Or is it something more?

Pryor is huddled next to Jacopo’s fallen form, sweating profusely and clearly not paying attention. It looks as though his skin is stretched too thin on his small frame, his thin skeleton clearly visible. Large canines now protrude more than an inch from his lips, like short fangs. If he heard your instructions, he appears to be ignoring them.

Apple listens to Cato's voice and then closes his eyes. "There's a prophecy?" he says to no one in particular. "Of course there's a prophecy. Why wouldn't there be a prophecy?"

APple strides over to Pryor and looks him directly in the face. "I know you have a link to Jacopo. What are you? His familiar? Tell Jacopo he has to hold on. Either he has to drop his parma or he has to make it. Can you do that?" Apple will lean back to see if he was understood, and then get up, turnign to Korvin.

"No point in worrying about that now. I think we have our answer. Cato isn't coming here. He's going to beat Jacopo by means of this Prophecy, whatever that is. Get the knife and let's go. The knife went in the direction of the footprints. That must be the way we're supposed to go."

Korvin shrugs his shoulders. "Lets get to hunting."

He goes back and gets the knifes and heads to the outer cave.

"Lower your Parma for a bit Apple. I will give you a spell that help you ignore fatigue. I will harness it and tether it to you so you will just have to concentrate to make it go away."

Casts The Tireless Flight on Apple.

"Remember that this spell does not prevent fatigue but your body will ignore the effects until it is ended at the next full moon or when you release it."

(Spont CrIg:Base 2, +3 moon, Harnessed)
((Cr12 + Ig2 + Sta1 + Aura 4 + 1d10=8 )/2 = 13)

Spont ReIg Ward against Cold 5
((Re 6 + Ig 2 + Aura 4 + Sta 1 + 1d10=4 )/2 = 8) ( durn emotes)

Apple grins apprecatively as he lowers his defenses and allows Korvin to cast his spells. "I thank you. I've been feeling my castings."

He takes a last look at Jacopo and Pryor, shakes his head, and says, "Come on Korvin. Let's get moving." Apple heads out of the cave and starts following the tracks up the mountain.

Before Korvin goes with Apple he casts By His Works to try to bring back what Jacopo mumbled ( if possible).