Chapter 12 - Light of Burning Bronze

A lonely mystic phonon hit the aegis and was repelled by it.

:mrgreen:

:laughing:

Ameline considers "Sigmundo, I believe you can just walk right in so please come in and I will direct you to a place you can relax a bit while I fetch tokens to allow the other three to visit as well as figure out a way to insure they can carry them without having to hold them in their claws all the time."

I believe you are mistaken. Your castle is surrounded by some kind of magical barrier that prevents me from entering.

Sigmundo thinks to himself "Is she unaware of it? Relations would be very much different if I could walk right in or set their towers ablaze at my discretion."

OOC: A phonon is a soundwave. And, yes, they would exist, because harmonic resonance was an established fact. Resonance is actually something which should have more of a presence in Hermetic thought because it can be perceived as an application of the Law of Sympathy.

Photons are there, too. Whatever one chooses to call them. Though I really, really don't think we want to digress into a debate on that right now.

Just waiting for the signal that Vares is on the scene.

Isaac glances idly out of one of the council chamber's windows,* sees Sigmundo and shuts his eyes for a second. When he opens them, he folds his hands and tries to appear dignified.

Isaac: Do please forgive my curiosity, but are we perhaps under attack? If not, would you mind explaining to me why there's a dragon outside?

• [size=85]Assuming, of course, that it has windows. If not, this entire post doesn't happen.[/size]

[size=85] Am I missing something about the colours people are using? My last PbP campaign used different colours for different languages - is something like that going on here?[/size]

:smiley:
You missed my point earlier. The sign is when you say "I arrive on the scene". But I sense you need some traditional GM structure.
Okay...
You Arrive On The Scene!
:laughing:

Not sure what you are trying to do with the "sup" and such. As for colors, we started out using Red for character speech and Blue for silent thought; regular black for narration and expository. I tried to get people to each adopt a different color for their specific character, but that didn't really catch on. Some people just use quotes instead. I am not a tyrant, so as long as the game keeps flowing I don't mind.

BTW, you wouldn't see a dragon out the window. Sigmundo prefers to take human shape when consorting with humans. He used to pass himself off as a Roman scholor back in the day. But there are three fire drakes!

Antonio: [color=red]What's that you say? (looks outside)[color=red] Oh, I see Ameline and Inigo must have impressed Sigmundo. He came along, and he brought the juniors with him. I see Vares is headed out to meet them. I should head out there. This is unexpected, and I am not very comfortable with letting the dragon inside the Aegis. I want to keep a close eye on him. Come with me.

OOC: I find it very strange that a conversation has been left dangling, and Ameline, a participant in that conversation, began another. Is she deliberately ignoring the conversation she began? I need to know this so the drakes can react to her latest snub appropriately.

Either way, I would like to hold the action. There is an interaction going on, among Ameline, the drakes and possibly Sigmundo. No one else is there. By the time anyone else arrives, the conversation will have ended, one way or another.

--Ken

Probably because the page changed, so LadyP forgot where the conversation was. Have the drakes react to her latest snub, then her next response, and we will proceed from there. However, it won't take much time at all for Vares to get there, and he may indeed walk into the middle of the convrsation. Sigmundo thinks it is amusing that Ameline is botching her socilization with the drakes, but is not overly worried about it and doesn't feel like interfering. He wants to see how they handle it, and even if they leave he still plans to keep his word and help get the magi where they need to go.

Oh, I bet Sigmundo is loving every minute of it. This'll teach them uppity drakes about dealing with humans, the--well, not quite treachery, but fluidity of their commitments, and their shortsighted insularity born of short lifespans. You can trust a dragon, because you know where you stand...

Anyway,

Ken

:smiling_imp:
That is one for the list of "Famous Quotes". That and "Mmmmm.... Blasphemy" :laughing:

OOC Ameline chose to let the implied insult of Antonio ruling and his challenges greater and go deal with tokens.

Ameline frowns at Sigmundo's words. She had thought his might strong enough to ignore the Aegis and now she knows much better the level of his might. "Apologies. I feared that I have erred. I thought that the barrier would not block you. Please excuse me while I fetch appropriate tokens." She moves into the covenant to get four tokens. She knows that the invitation can be revoked easily and that makes it safe. "I assume my Sodali will be here shortly to greet you, perhaps arriving before my return." She hurries off to fetch the tokens but pauses to tell the guards. "Treat our guest and his family well"

Two members of the Andorran Guard step forth from the gatehouse, wondering what to do.
Carlos: Don't be nervous, we deal with this sort of thing all the time.
Sylvester (the new guy): I have worked with magi before, that's how I got the job here. But I have never before seen dragons! Do you suppose they are hungry?
Carlos: Maybe. Go grab a couple of goats, or an old horse or two. Then Carlos boldly steps forth to address the drakes. He may or may not feel fear, but he shows none. Hey, dragones, tienes hombre? Quiero cabrones? (Translation: "Hey dragons, are you hungry? Want some goats?).
In the meantime, Sylvester is feeling a little overwhelmed. He just started this job a week ago, and it is more than he expected. He grabs a servant boy named Miguelito, and has him go get six goats and bring them out to the drakes. Sylvester then looks for an excuse to not go back out there, but Sergeant Moe sends him right back to the gate.

OOC-BTW, revoking the token means nothing to a magic being once they are inside the Aegis. The revocation does not force them out, nor does the Aegis inhibit the use of their powers. The might cost is not increased, and though Penetration is halved, it is still plenty enough to slice through the magic resistance of most of you.
Also, the dragon’s hesitation offers a hint, but nothing definitive. He has no idea what Magnitude your current Aegis is, nor does he know how it operates or what its limits are. All he knows is that when he first tested himself against it some 300 years ago, he could not get past it. His power may or may not have grown substantially since then, but either way he doesn’t know what the upper limit of its blocking power is (nor does he know that there is an upper limit). But I will tell you it is close. Either he can barely squeak through and doesn’t know it, or he is just a little tiny bit weaker that the level and can almost walk on through.

Emerging from the interior of the Covenant is a man of perhaps slightly greater than medium height. He is modestly attired in well-woven brown cloth in the form of a tunic and breeches, with dark boots and a matching leather belt. A scabbard hangs from the belt; it is enameled in black with bronze chasings, indicating more of his station. More than that, the cleanliness of his person and the lack of weathering on his otherwise unremarkable face are suggestive of a position far above the menials.

For those of attuned to the preternatural world, there is a far greater depth to his presence, the seeming presented to casual inspection bearing the semblance of a practical vessel holding something of far greater substance. As Dragons may cloak their true Power from others, he bears a similar quality.

"Greetings and welcome to the Covenant of Andorra," he voices in an educated baritone with the inflections of Provencal Occitan. "I am known as Vares filius Antonius Exupereus of House Flambeau. How do you choose to be known?

OOC: I don't normally use colour in my posts, preferring ordinary quotes. In this instance, it is applicable.

Whenever I indicate silent thought I use / / to frame it.

Sigmundo has the Virtue of being Unaffected by the Gift, and as I already ruled that the effects of your "Alluring to Magic" is tied to the Gift, he is also unaffected by that. However, it does have a dramatic effect on the Drakes (and I am sure that Ken will play that appropriately). Sigmundo will notice that and will be suitably impressed, as well as by the confidence with which Vares presents himself.

I have gone by many various names in my past, but for the present I prefer the name Sigmund, or Sigmundo in the modern tongue. I will allow my associates introduce themselves. I am here to fulfill a promise I made, and I will assist you in gaining entry to the Arc of Fire and I shall bestow a blessing of protection against the forces of fire while you are there.

I grant you the gift of a Confidence point for finally having some flavor!

I suggest using parentheseese for silence, but we will figure it out.

Hi,

The drakes naturally do not presume to speak before Sigmundo.

Anyway,

Ken

"Be welcome, then, Sigmund. And what of our other guests?" Vares moves his eyes away from Sigmund for only an instant before concentrating once more on the Dragon, whose current alias he has heard spoken previously. "The assistance you offer may speed our journey and the protection you offer may be another shield in our quest." He smiles. "For those of us of Flambeau, normal Fire is no enemy, only a familiar companion. The Realm of Fire and its Essence may prove more novel."

OOC: Hmm. Alluring to Magic doesn't work on the Gift (it affects Magical beings and persons without any!), specifically, however, in Vares case it is a function of his Gift, so your logic isn't unreasonable. Note that many beings of the Magic Realm don't have a problem with the Gift while being susceptible to Alluring to Magic.

An amusing point is that Vares usually works to be "colourless" and unremarkable. Only on occasions such as these does he allow his full aspect to manifest.

Hi,

Maurice and Simon exchange a glance and continue listening to the exchange between the new wizard and Sigmundo.

Simon glumly restrains himself from moving around much, but sniffs hopefully every now and again.

Anyway,

Ken